Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm got suckered in to watching Midnight, Texas. Peter Mensah gets a lot of residual love from me.

drat it all, it's entertaining.

Muffy the vampire slayer, in Texas. Basically. You got your Muffy, yur wereanimal, your Hellmouth, your witch, vampire with a heart gold, gypsy's doing gypsy stuff.

I DO love me a good gypsy curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aren't there supposed to be a bunch of other theme parks of different eras as part of that whole fiction?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

IRQ posted:

Aren't there supposed to be a bunch of other theme parks of different eras as part of that whole fiction?

There's at least one other (Samurai World) that we've seen indications of, yeah.

And that comic is stupid, because while we make fewer Westerns now than we used to, that's only because they were a mega-popular genre for so long that it got kind of played out. And it's not like little kids don't still want/pretend to be cowboys, and hey, wouldn't you know it, Westworld is literally just the adult version of that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Channel Zero: Candle Cove was great and watched/loved enough it's already been renewed for 3 more seasons. Season 2 premieres this fall

The standard of journalism in this thread smh

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Really the western just morphed into sci-fi. The same themes run through a lot of it, but the old west setting got too familiar and demystified. Like it's not coincidence that TNG starts out calling space the final frontier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's true, Star Wars is a western.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Then Stargate is the ultimate western

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Then Stargate is the ultimate western

A western retelling of Stargate: SG-1 would basically be if the Chinese had conquered and Enslaved the Native Americans, and the westward expansion of the Americans was about overthrowing Chinese rule and recruiting Native Americans to fight against them. While stealing and appropriating Chinese technology to facilitate westward expansion. Like instead of capturing gates, they'd be capturing train stops on the Chinese railroad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ShakeZula posted:

There's at least one other (Samurai World) that we've seen indications of, yeah.

In the original movie there was also a MedievalWorld and a RomanWorld. IIRC they mention one of those in the TV show? I could be making that up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my god the scene in Comrade Detective where they explain Monopoly

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Oh my god the scene in Comrade Detective where they explain Monopoly

Yeah, it's amazing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sadly the season 1 thread here is archived, but netflix just released a trailer for season 2 of The Crown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-BCMOolNI Comes out Dec 8th.

Michael C. Hall plays JFK.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Finally got around to watching Unbreakable season 3 and it's much, much better than Season 2. That said for how much I enjoy it in the moment I can't help but feel that a few years from now it'll have aged terribly and we will all recognise Tina Fey has being an amazingly hateful writer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
UKS is definitely more overtly condescending than 30 Rock was about a whole bunch of crap

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The most amazing thing in Comrade Detective is when the priests sermon is presented as archetypic police procedural cult scene.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm looking forward to starting it once I finish Patriot.

I have mixed feelings about it, the episode I just watched (4) was a perfect example of everything I like and dislike about the show. It can be overly maudlin and it has some long takes that border on indulgent, and there's a very Wes Anderson feel to the way shots are framed and the color and lighting design. However it has really sharp jokes, great characters and in one episode they had two scenes unlike anything I've ever seen in a TV show before the taping-the-dude long-take scene and the stairway fight with the dude in his backpack

I'd probably give it a recommendation but qualify it with "You're going to have to sit through literal 2 minute takes of the protagonist's face as he walks up a hill and makes different grimaces"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like how your sentence structure insinuates that Wes Anderson-esque is inherently bad lol

But yeah!!!!! Patriot rules!!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I love auteurs who are fully in control of their uh idiom but Patriot just seems like a pastiche

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Patriot has some of the most amazing recurring in-jokes since arrested development. As well as tons of low-key sight gags.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The dude who's like his groupie is hilarious. He has a real lowkey acting style that makes him seem very realistic. When he had that "revelation" of why there are so many safes falling on cartoon sidewalks I lost it.

The folk lyrics to his songs are pretty funny but the whole father-and-son folk music stuff is kind of silly to me, despite the obvious talent of both O'Quinn and Dorman.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's his brother.

But yeah, that actor is great in everything. I should learn his name.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snak posted:

That's his brother.

But yeah, that actor is great in everything. I should learn his name.

Not Michael Chernus, Chris Conrad. The glasses guy who gives him the clean piss in the pilot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh. Yeah. Also hilarious. The whole scene where he takes his shirt off to prove he's buff is amazing. Also when he translates.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I googled Chris Conrad and apparently he was in a 90's spin-off prequel of Kevin Sorbo's Hercules called YOUNG HERCULES starring RYAN GOSLING

how is this a thing I never knew of

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Not Canadian enough perhaps.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

Finally got around to watching Unbreakable season 3 and it's much, much better than Season 2. That said for how much I enjoy it in the moment I can't help but feel that a few years from now it'll have aged terribly and we will all recognise Tina Fey has being an amazingly hateful writer.

Tina Fey is a national treasure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there any legitimate way to watch Mr Mercedes without having DirectTv? I want to watch it, but who the hell has DirectTV these days?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

drunkill posted:

Sadly the season 1 thread here is archived, but netflix just released a trailer for season 2 of The Crown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-BCMOolNI Comes out Dec 8th.

Michael C. Hall plays JFK.

Oh, yay! I quite enjoyed the first season.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's supposed to rain pretty hard here the next few days and our pumps aren't working so it will probably flood, meaning I won't be able to work, meaning I will probably be binging Comrade Detective sometime in the next few days.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's only six episodes. I've only watched the first like, 2 and a half, cause I kind of wanted to make it last longer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Repeating a question nobody answered earlier: can that show really sustain 40 minutes at a time? 20-30 I could get, but that's a bit much for the joke imo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Repeating a question nobody answered earlier: can that show really sustain 40 minutes at a time? 20-30 I could get, but that's a bit much for the joke imo.

It helps that the show is played dead straight and hits all the beats of a real cop show; the music's even done by Joe Kraemer of The Way of the Gun and Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh sorry yeah, it absolutely does. It's not just a comedy and the gimmick isn't just a joke. It's more like an alternate reality serious cop show. But there are definitely a lot of really funny lines.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It also helps if you've seen enough 80's era american macho shows and movies to "get" the role reversal that's being done.

Because it's a parody, but not in the over the top style of like, 22 Jump Street, just like "this is exactly how we portrayed Freedom and Democracy vs. Soviet Oppression, but reversed."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, that all sounds pretty fascinating! That'll be the next new show I check out for sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"My brother was seduced by the west. It did not go well. He ended up having to buy a car wash..."
"What the gently caress's a car wash?"
"Capitalists are so lazy they pay other people to wash their cars. Anyway, soon one wasn't enough, so he opened another, and another... terrible"

"She's a capitalist, isn't calling her a prostitute redundant?"

"But there's no such thing as a corrupt Romanian policeman, so..."

"Jor... dack... ee?"
"The E is silent."
"Jordach?"

"Great, so he's a goatfucker."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pictured: How X-Files should be all the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite joke in Comrade Detective isn't really very ha ha funny but it has layers man.

"What was it Marx said? To each according to his ability, and from each according to his ability."
"I don't think that's right."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

Pictured: How X-Files should be all the time.

Hollywood A.D. is so good. The one scene where you can see Scully in the background, teaching Tea Leoni how to run in heels is A++++++, just zipping back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

American Crime Story: Katrina is back in production after being retooled. It sounds like Murphy had difficulty trying to find an angle originally but now everything seems to be working out as they're going to adapt the book "Five Days at Memorial." Which is about Memorial Medical Center and how they dealt with completely losing power after the storm. Here's a hint, it is super loving depressing.

• Locked thread