Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would write, but on what subject?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Pixelante posted:

I'm thinking we do it like FPSASS. Sign up through email, and I'll give you the address/name of a goon probably won't be the same person that writes you. No word-count requirements, no obligation to write back (though it certainly would be cool), and up to participants if they want anonymity or not.

The only expected content of the letter will be the kind of pen you wrote with, and the name of your ink. Maybe we could come up with a list of content suggestions, though?

I also think we could skip regional limitations, since the most it costs to send a letter across the world is a couple bucks?

e: Comment in your next post if you wanna participate. If it looks like we've got around half a dozen, I'll dust off the spreadsheet.

I'm in to write other goons as well. Probably not anything they'd be interested in, though :v:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Platystemon posted:

I would write, but on what subject?

I welcome suggestions for a list of... suggestions!

Off the top of my head:

* what I did this summer
* how I got into fountain pens
* that time in prison
* what it's like living in ____
* things I wish I could do some day
* all about a thing I know a lot about (hey, we are A/T goons)
* how I feel about current events
* why I'm a goon

Absolute fiction also sounds like a great idea to me.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
What are some decent nibs I could slap on a x450?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I just want to chime in and say I am one hundred percent down for an anonymous letter buddy. I'm a fountain pen novitiate, but absolutely keen all the same.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

teraflame posted:

№ 6 JoWo nibs in your flavour of choice. They make Goulet and Anderson store brands.

№ 6 Knox nibs in your flavour of choice. Birmingham and Pen Chalet sell them.

If you want something interesting to experiment with, Zebra G dip pen nibs fit. Get the titanium‐plated ones because continuous contact with ink kills the chromed variety.

e: Nemosine nibs come in a few shapes the others don’t. I’m thinking of 0.6 and 0.8 stubs, in particular.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 7, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Platystemon posted:

№ 6 JoWo nibs in your flavour of choice. They make Goulet and Anderson store brands.

№ 6 Knox nibs in your flavour of choice. Birmingham and Pen Chalet sell them.

If you want something interesting to experiment with, Zebra G dip pen nibs fit. Get the titanium‐plated ones because continuous contact with ink kills the chromed variety.

e: Nemosine nibs come in a few shapes the others don’t. I’m thinking of 0.6 and 0.8 stubs, in particular.

Edit: never mind, misread!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

whoever ends up being my designated penpal in this letter exchange, I hope you're up for something spectacular

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXfVbb8lqfB

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

teraflame posted:

I put a Goulet #6 EF on mine, because I had one lying around from another aborted project. Against all logic (I like broader nibs these days, wasn't expecting much out of this combo, etc.), it's become one of my favorite pens.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

Does the Perkeo take the standard Kaweco nibs?

I asked, and they said no, the nib and feed were different. Comparing it visually to an Allrounder and a Sport, it's easy to see the difference in the feed. The nib might be a bit more flared to the sides, I suppose. Oh, and at least the yellow-and-black one comes with an anodized black nib, which I hadn't seen on a Kaweco before.

I assume any differences are to keep costs down -- it's a $16 pen, after all.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I have neither good paper nor good handwriting, but if anyone's up for receiving a letter with those conditions then I'd be glad to join some kind of exchange!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kessel posted:

whoever ends up being my designated penpal in this letter exchange, I hope you're up for something spectacular

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXfVbb8lqfB

I call Kessel!

Edit: But really, I'm down for a penpal letter exchange

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Yeah same. I'd say that content honestly doesn't matter - copy out a passage from a book that you like, write inane stuff about your day, whatever. It's a chance to appreciate handwriting, ink, paper etc.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
I'm in! I'm already writing my sister and my best friend from elementary school.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

kim jong-illin posted:

Yeah same. I'd say that content honestly doesn't matter - copy out a passage from a book that you like, write inane stuff about your day, whatever. It's a chance to appreciate handwriting, ink, paper etc.

I like this idea. Most of us probably spend more time fussing with our pens than writing with them.

Looks like enough interest to run with. I'll write up a post and share the link once I'm ready to take sign-ups.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I'm more of a lurker than a poster here, but I'd happily send some letters out. You'd get interesting stamps, too. (From Qatar!)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do the Lamy Z27 converters really fit the Vista/Safari/Al-star?!

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Kessel posted:

So who's going to be at the SF pen show? Wanna grab dinner one of the nights?

I'll be attending one of the days (probably Saturday) and will definitely be checking out your table. :3: Though I probably won't still be in Redwood City come dinnertime, since I actually live in SF proper and would need to head back. (Unless I get really wrapped up using the ink testing stations and stay until closing time.)

Pixelante posted:

I'm thinking we do it like FPSASS. Sign up through email, and I'll give you the address/name of a goon probably won't be the same person that writes you. No word-count requirements, no obligation to write back (though it certainly would be cool), and up to participants if they want anonymity or not.

The only expected content of the letter will be the kind of pen you wrote with, and the name of your ink. Maybe we could come up with a list of content suggestions, though?

I also think we could skip regional limitations, since the most it costs to send a letter across the world is a couple bucks?

e: Comment in your next post if you wanna participate. If it looks like we've got around half a dozen, I'll dust off the spreadsheet.

I mainly lurk this thread, but I'd be interested in participating. It'd be a great excuse to play with these wax seals to boot.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I usually lurk but am also down.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
If I haven't dropped my Lamy 2k by the time I need to send a letter out I will write something!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Professor Shark posted:

Do the Lamy Z27 converters really fit the Vista/Safari/Al-star?!

Yes. They don't have the little notches that lock it in, but they friction fit just fine. I put one in my Vista because it looks better.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Heath posted:

Yes. They don't have the little notches that lock it in, but they friction fit just fine. I put one in my Vista because it looks better.

Awesome! I think the red looks okay when used with black ink, but I really wanted to use it with an orange and the clashing colors was holding me back.

I just ordered from Stylo.ca, which I only found yesterday. It had the best prices, allowed me to get the Vista with the 1.1mm Italic nib at no extra cost, and had a shipping deal on that basically gave me a bottle of Monteverde Mandarin Orange ink for free!

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 9, 2017

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Pretty sure I said it already but I'm in too for sending some goon (Kessel!!) written words and getting some in return.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Too late, I already called Kessel!*

Besides, I already whipped up this linocut for the envelope:

*Edited in case it wasn't clear I was posting in good humor

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 9, 2017

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I feel like I'm the meganerd who is more keen on getting Teach's Qatari stamps- but all the same I am looking forward to this greatly.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I am in for letter exchange.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
yeah man, I can write someone a letter about probably insurance or dungeons and dragons

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

NeurosisHead posted:

yeah man, I can write someone a letter about probably insurance or dungeons and dragons

Papers & Paychecks.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

NeurosisHead posted:

Gygax himself worked in Insurance, oddly enough.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I wonder if there's a huge Gygax fan out there who doesn't give any shits about D&D but just really loving loves the way he streamlined the State of Wisconsin LHJZ-6890285-b No-Fault Claims Form.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Trustworthy posted:

I wonder if there's a huge Gygax fan out there who doesn't give any shits about D&D but just really loving loves the way he streamlined the State of Wisconsin LHJZ-6890285-b No-Fault Claims Form.

As someone who deals with government forms, praise be!

I'm in for a letter exchange! I can talk about my dumb cat, and sometimes about government forms, I guess? Sometimes I have fun work stories that don't involve forms.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

I feel like I'm the meganerd who is more keen on getting Teach's Qatari stamps- but all the same I am looking forward to this greatly.

My mother worked for an airline for decades, and she used to bring back all the envelopes passengers had used to send feedback to the airline. I spent many happy hours washing these envelopes in a tub to get the stamps off.

I guess you could say my addiction to stationery, stamps and all things analog started young.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I'm also interested, can't wait to share my exotic Australian stamps with whoever gets my handwriting inflicted on them.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I bought a parallel pen. My wife used it to draw a dick in my rhodia pad.

What I'm saying is I'm definitely down to write some goon letters. And maybe send some FP dicks.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lowness 72 posted:

I bought a parallel pen. My wife used it to draw a dick in my rhodia pad.

What I'm saying is I'm definitely down to write some goon letters. And maybe send some FP dicks.

you have married well, friend

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Re: stamps, I have my grandfather's stamp collection, which he received in his youth (?) from a neighbor or something.

It has old stamps, the most memorable being Nazi stamps and pre-Nazi stamps that have new denomination amounts stamped over the original to reflect the wild inflation.

I should take pictures of them, I assume that SA has a stamp thread somewhere?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Been a while since I've posted here but I'd be up for sending incomprehensible scrawl to another goon as well.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'd be down with participating in a letter exchange. My handwriting is either terrible and illegible or terrible and in block letter, so you have that to look forward to!

At least my inks are pretty. :kiddo:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh, my partner might also get a small mediocre art or doodle!

I draw monsters, cats, and funny-looking mermaids; no substitutions. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My Navy Horween pensleeve came in from Popov Leather:

The Vista might be in tomorrow