Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

edit: Having said that he was pretty much right about Fight Club though.

As I understand it, the two of you shouldn't have been discussing this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Kramdar posted:

Thank you for making me google the word "sartorial".

:tipshat:

Words are fun.

Here's a chrome extension that makes looking up words easy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Muppet treasure island has a bizarre Ghostbusters reference where bunsen honeydew, beaker and fozzie are dressed in ghostbuster uniforms during the latter half of the film, except replacing the no ghosts shoulder patch with a no skull and crossbones patch. They then proceed to scare the pirates off the ship by dressing Sam eagle up as a ghost.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ravenfood posted:

You could have just shown him the directors commentary that pretty much devolves to Verhoeven yelling "when you see SS uniforms, you know that it is about bad!" within about 5 minutes.

You could have just shown him Paul Verhoeven's name on the movie. Unless a Dutchman is openly advocating the extermination of lesser races, you can safely assume that he hates Germans.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Starship Troopers the one where in the commentary he starts talking about how he was eating breakfast one day when the Nazis shelled his neighbors house?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

he must have been a terrible neighbor

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The thread title reminded me; my IIMM from Groundhog Day is that it doesn't touch on the fact that he splurges a lot on the day that winds up being his last day. Doesn't he take out an insane amount of life insurance, among other things?

Sure, he's freed of even-the-writers-cant-decide how long of the same day, I remember thinking he's on the clock for a lot of stuff.

E: okay, I thought this was the IIMM thread, my bad

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Aug 10, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think he invests heavily in life insurance because it makes Ned happy. It shows that Phil has reached a point where he just tries to please as many people as possible in that single day. Even someone like Ned Ryerson, who he really didn't like at the start of his adventures in limbo (odds are he still doesn't).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mierenneuker posted:

I think he invests heavily in life insurance because it makes Ned happy. It shows that Phil has reached a point where he just tries to please as many people as possible in that single day. Even someone like Ned Ryerson, who he really didn't like at the start of his adventures in limbo (odds are he still doesn't).

Yeah. But the point that the above poster makes is, when he was living the day over and over, he never had to pay for the insurance, and all the other poo poo he signs up for. Now he wakes up to a tomorrow, he has a bunch of bills to pay.

An argument could be made that he could pay with the money he steals from the armoured car, but given that he is freed from the time loop, what is he going to do if/when the law catches up with him for that theft?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
The day that moves time forward again doesn't involve him loving over a couple of hapless armored truck drivers. That's the opposite of all the good works he does running around town.

Either a big city weatherman can afford that kind of spending or he cancels it later.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
No, the insurance company is gonna break his loving legs when he doesn't make that first payment. Why aren't you as concerned about this as everyone else? And his credit score is gonna tank. He'll be homeless!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah. But the point that the above poster makes is, when he was living the day over and over, he never had to pay for the insurance, and all the other poo poo he signs up for. Now he wakes up to a tomorrow, he has a bunch of bills to pay.

An argument could be made that he could pay with the money he steals from the armoured car, but given that he is freed from the time loop, what is he going to do if/when the law catches up with him for that theft?

Ah, I get it. Well, I'm sure he can take advantage of the fact that he is a local celebrity in Punxsutawney at that point. I think we see him mostly interact with locals so he could run for mayor and everybody would vote for him.

Edit: I had this post sitting around for half an hour before I realized I had hit 'preview' instead of 'post'.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

He and Rita snubbed him when he wanted to go hang out together immediately after the conversation about all of the life insurance he bought. He still doesn't like him!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The guy spent like then thousand years in a time loop during which he practiced loads of stuff. He became a master piano player at one point. Guy is not going to be hurting for cash with all the talent he's built up. Probably got so good at learning people he could even try it on complete strangers

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The guy spent like then thousand years in a time loop during which he practiced loads of stuff. He became a master piano player at one point. Guy is not going to be hurting for cash with all the talent he's built up. Probably got so good at learning people he could even try it on complete strangers

Do master piano players make a lot of cash?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

spog posted:

He could use his skills to worm his way into Dana Barrett's symphony group.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Missing Link posted:

The day that moves time forward again doesn't involve him loving over a couple of hapless armored truck drivers. That's the opposite of all the good works he does running around town.

Either a big city weatherman can afford that kind of spending or he cancels it later.

I still say he totally stole from the armored car and he's going to get away with it. Fewer surveillance cameras a quarter of a century ago.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

Ah, I get it. Well, I'm sure he can take advantage of the fact that he is a local celebrity in Punxsutawney at that point. I think we see him mostly interact with locals so he could run for mayor and everybody would vote for him.

If only he hadn't just saved the mayor's life.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still say he totally stole from the armored car and he's going to get away with it. Fewer surveillance cameras a quarter of a century ago.

That's not the point - the question is whether he'd get to break the loop if he was still an aresehole

Those poor schmucks driving the truck could have their life ruined over that

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Eh, there's always some allowance for shrinkage in armored truck deliveries.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spog posted:

Fluent in French, skilled with piano, dry wit and excellent camera presence says he could be the second coming of Jerry Lewis

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Bloop posted:

That's not the point - the question is whether he'd get to break the loop if he was still an aresehole

Those poor schmucks driving the truck could have their life ruined over that

The point of the movie is that life in small town America is no life at all.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Groundhog Day reboot, Phil overdoses on opioids forever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Groundhog Day reboot, Phil overdoses on opioids forever.

The unofficial sequel to Groundhog Day was Gummo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The unofficial sequel to Groundhog Day was Gummo.

Explain...

Then explain how you're the only other person I've ever met who's seen Gummo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Explain...

Lots of people have seen Gummo they're just too full of crap to talk about it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pan's Labyrinth, fairy tales are real and Ofelia lives happily ever after with her mother, brother and father.

:smithicide:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, sure thing champ.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Explain...

Gummo rules! I even saw it in 35mm earlier in the year. I thought I would have soured on it a bit since I was 18 but I still adore it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The only Gummo I know is a Marx.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I often get Gummo, gumbo, and Gumby confused.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is Gunmo that weird as gently caress Ohio movie? I have a coworker who can't stop talking that movie up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's the one. By Harmony Korine, director of Spring Breakers. It's definitely not for everyone (or maybe even that many people in general), but I love it

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MariusLecter posted:

Pan's Labyrinth, fairy tales are real and Ofelia lives happily ever after with her mother, brother and father.

Of course. I don't see how anyone could possibly interpret it any other way. The mandrake was keeping her mom alive is all the proof I need.

Yep.

Happily ever after.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MariusLecter posted:

quote:

MG: I'm glad to hear you say that. This is the dispute going on among people who have seen your film. Was Ofelia in her fantasy world? Was it a real world? I keep saying such questions pose a false dichotomy.

Del Toro: Yes, of course. And it's intimate. If the movie works as a piece of storytelling, as a piece of artistic creation, it should tell something different to everyone. It should be a matter of personal discussion. Now objectively, the way I structured it, there are three clues in the movie that tell you where I stand. I stand in that it's real. The most important clues are the flower at the end, and the fact that there's no way other than the chalk door to get from the attic to the Captain's office.

MG: Yes, and again referring back to the dynamic of their dyad, Mercedes notices the chalk door; they aren't just in Ofelia's imagination.

Del Toro: Objectively, those two clues tell you it's real. The third clue is she's running away from her stepfather, she reaches a dead end, by the time he shows up she's not there. Because the walls open for her. So sorry, there are clues that tell you where I stand and I stand by the fantasy. Those are objective things if you want. The film is a Rorschach test of where people stand.

So yeah fairy tales are real :unsmith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's not subtle at all but Del Toro just seems like the coolest guy ever and I loving love his cameos in Always Sunny as Pappy McPoyle.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

It's not subtle at all but Del Toro just seems like the coolest guy ever and I loving love his cameos in Always Sunny as Pappy McPoyle.

Blade 2 was the best Blade film. I wish they'd been able to get the Michael Jackson cameo.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The director's commentary of Pan's Labyrinth is fantastic.

"And the tree branches here are obviously very uterine"
"and the faun's horns are also pretty uterine"
"and these arches towards the feast are very uterine, and it's not very subtle but gently caress you it's my movie"

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Well holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was re-watching "Glengary Glenross" for the hundredth time recently and there's a lot of cool, subtle callbacks throughout that film. Posters on walls, pamphlets, stuff one character says on a background phone call that comes up later. I'm having a hard time remembering specifics because I was high when I watched it but I noticed a lot of simple crossovers and connections that I'd never really realized before.

"Patel?....PATEL!!??...gently caress you!" comes to mind. Earlier in the film someone says "you ever get these names, Patel? Indians? Never bought a loving thing." and then when the replacement leads are handed out after the hot ones are stolen, Ricky Roma gets a "Patel".

There's also a part where someone says "they must like talking to salespeople or some poo poo", in reference to a dead lead, and then near the end, when Williamson is making GBS threads on Levine's new contract and telling him the sale won't stick, he explains "They're insane, Shelley. They just like talking to salespeople"

What a great loving movie and a terrific cast.