Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i mean i've been tempted to quit after a final wave failure in games where i've felt like i had to babysit the team the whole time, but usually the loss is enough to shape them up weirdly enough and the retry goes fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, Lawbreakers is already deader than even Battleborn was at launch. :rip:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It took sixteen games for me to not end up in the final wave.

And it was wave 4.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deakul posted:

So, Lawbreakers is already deader than even Battleborn was at launch. :rip:

Who'd have thought a bad game would be bad.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

All I do is play frontier defense most nights so if anyone wants to play my psn is Vyst

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Stanley Pain posted:

Who'd have thought a bad game would be bad.

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

But wait, if Frothy likes it...:qq:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

But wait, if Frothy likes it...:qq:

I was gonna joke that Lawbreakers is the game for people who are sick of normies and filthy casuals polluting their skill-based FPS experience, but that's actually the marketing campaign.

E: also despite the constant handwringing over "is Titanfall 2 dead game on PC?!?", Titanfall 2 PC has more players than Lawbreakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DceFfKIjvjI

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 10, 2017

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
This is actually really amusing to me because Lawbreakers was the *second* game I got told would kill Titanfall 2 when people got to play it and find out how much better it was and how poopy it made Titanfall 2 look.

The first one? For Honor.

(Although I have to admit Lawbreakers has more comedy potential because I know a lot of the TF1 PC vets are basically of that "normies and filthy casuals are ruining this series" vein, and seemed to basically be ready to hop ship to that game.)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

The only advertising I've ever seen for Lawbreakers was some ad on facebook I think.
And nothing can beat Battleborn for dead on arrival.
Pretty sure there's still a dude on my friends list who plays pretty regularly with the other 10 active players.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

And nothing can beat Battleborn for dead on arrival.

evolve?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think battleborne would probably beat out evolve because a bajillion people bought evolve and played it for about 2 evenings.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I legit had to google what Battleborn was. I know what Evolve is though so...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A few days with this game and I'm liking it a bit more! I am still absolute garbage trash at it compared to TF1, but I played TF1 from the beta and I'm jumping into this a year late, so hey.

Frothy narrated an hour long video written by players who preferred TF1. I agree with a lot of it! Especially the sense that TF1's design was much more coherent.

I'm still enjoying TF2 and I like the easy bunnyhopping. Curious what you guys think :shobon:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Godzilla07 posted:

I was gonna joke that Lawbreakers is the game for people who are sick of normies and filthy casuals polluting their skill-based FPS experience, but that's actually the marketing campaign.

E: also despite the constant handwringing over "is Titanfall 2 dead game on PC?!?", Titanfall 2 PC has more players than Lawbreakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DceFfKIjvjI

Oh, well then.

lol

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like to gamble on either getting a double rodeo or somehow getting my torso stuck in the ceiling on this map

http://i.imgur.com/uhRodH2.gifv

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

No man's sky

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like Titanfall 2 better because t came out on a console I own

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You cannot talk about Evolve without posting one of those YouTube videos laying out the hype and flop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4RwGwQslM

gently caress that game and gently caress the greed. Glad it backlashed on them

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Lawbreakers' mistake was thinking that, in a crowded field with tons of options, they could make a high-skill multiplayer game that was incredibly hostile to new players. We've seen time and time again that multiplayer games that just throw people in to the deep end and let them get preyed on fail. Every time.

Titanfall avoided this, the low TTKs and flanking mean that even bad players can get a couple hero moments in every match.

Frothy liked it because he's better than 99.5% of players and could handle it from the jump. Most people can't.

The art design is also poo poo. The characters are forgettable, the levels look like Your Generic Future, it was just bad. I really liked that they put a mulitplayer-only game with cash shop near the right price point (20 dollars) but they botched it in every other way. The "are you ELITE!!!! enough to play our game?" marketing is the stupid as hell. Only people at the top of the match leaderboards care about this, the rest of us just want a fun game for the masses.

Stick with Titanfall.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In what universe is Titanfall 2's ttk low? Tons of weapons can one-shot you...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Low means a fast TTK

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snak posted:

In what universe is Titanfall 2's ttk low? Tons of weapons can one-shot you...

Hmmm I've always been told the accepted terminology was "low TTK" meant that you were killed quickly and "high TTK" meant you were killed slowly...seems like a misunderstanding.

Anyway yeah Titanfall 2 gets you killed fast + emphasizes high movement and flanking. So even a bad player can ambush a good one. I don't always appreciate this but it does somewhat flatten player skill.

LawBreakers had the brilliant idea to let a group of players play the game for over a year before the general public and now they're in the player pool turning new people into chum. Those same people are struggling with the controls, class balance, and concepts, all of which are inadequately explained by the game. It's dumb. They hosed up bad. I played the Beta, did two matches, said "this is a bad game that is not for me" and turned it off and uninstalled.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh right, that makes sense. Yeah, I just had a brain fart.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Titanfall avoided this, the low TTKs and flanking mean that even bad players can get a couple hero moments in every match.

Titanfall is the pinnacle of "boy I'm bad at this but it sure is fun"

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

They hosed up bad. I played the Beta, did two matches, said "this is a bad game that is not for me" and turned it off and uninstalled.

:same:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lawbreakers: do you want to get *loving owned* over in over in our Generic Mass Effect maps by Forgettable Sci Fi Characters until you figure out what the gently caress is going on in our multiplayer-only game? Are you an *Elite Gamer* who is *skilled enough* to make this loving game your life so that you can *pwn noobs*?

Titanfall 2: Here's a grappling hook. Jump out of this dropship and wallrun around and kill some guys. Maybe they are NPCs, maybe they are players. Who cares, just get some bullets in there and enjoy. I'll give you a huge rear end robot in a couple of minutes, maybe with a sword or a minigun? IDGAF, your choice. You can stomp around and blow up poo poo. Have fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Why are you talking so much about Lawbreakers in the TF2 thread, as though they have anything to do with one another? Go do it in the LB one, Christ.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lawbreakers' mistake was thinking that, in a crowded field with tons of options, they could make a high-skill multiplayer game that was incredibly hostile to new players. We've seen time and time again that multiplayer games that just throw people in to the deep end and let them get preyed on fail. Every time.

Frothy liked it because he's better than 99.5% of players and could handle it from the jump. Most people can't.

The art design is also poo poo. The characters are forgettable, the levels look like Your Generic Future, it was just bad. I really liked that they put a mulitplayer-only game with cash shop near the right price point (20 dollars) but they botched it in every other way. The "are you ELITE!!!! enough to play our game?" marketing is the stupid as hell. Only people at the top of the match leaderboards care about this, the rest of us just want a fun game for the masses.

Stick with Titanfall.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think a lot of TF2's balance changes have skewed too far in this direction and it's why newcomers are sometime put off by it. They've catered to the MLG crowd too much as time goes on when part of the games initial appeal was that practically everything was op as hell. I wish they had just focused on buffing things instead of nerfing the hell out of all the lower skill stuff, with some obvious exceptions like the Devotion and probably Tone before the first nerf. because they were just way too powerful.

Also, gently caress Lawbreakers marketing campaign. Holy poo poo, I hadn't seen any of that. I've never been put off of a game so quickly.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 10, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

Why are you talking so much about Lawbreakers in the TF2 thread, as though they have anything to do with one another? Go do it in the LB one, Christ.

Pretty sure that thread is deader than the game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Titanfall is the pinnacle of "boy I'm bad at this but it sure is fun"

This pretty much for me. TF2 is the first MP game in years that I have fun despite getting stomped. Getting a cool double kill like I'm wallrunning and headshotting a guy then I go to slide on the floor and kill another with my pistol makes me feel amazing, even if it is the only good thing I did in a round.

I love all modes that involves filling the map with AI enemies because I can help the team either by killing them or killing other players that are farming grunts. AI units give that chaotic feel around the map where you can see titans loving everything yet you can have a tense fight between a bunch of stalkers, grunts and players.

Welp, TF2 is my most played PS4 game since I got it on December, only followed by Bloodborne. I'm also in love with the PDP LvL 5 afterglow (TF2 themed) headset:

For reference: I hate some amazon links since they're so long, and I got them for 44€

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

It's funny because a guy came in here two weeks ago and told us that we would probably all like LawBreakers, since it was like TF2 but without wallrunning, grappling hooks, or giant robots.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean it's fast paced-ish so basically the same game...?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

We've seen time and time again that multiplayer games that just throw people in to the deep end and let them get preyed on fail. Every time.

Let me tell you about Dota.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have never left with a worse taste in my mouth for a genre than the weekend I tried to get into MOBAS. A genre for insane people.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How come companies keep pumping out lovely FPSs, and don't learn from those before. I mean Call of Duty is printing money so they get a pass. Who remembers Brink lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Trying to tap the FPS market right now seems like straight up gambling. Either you fail miserably, or make the next Overwatch and get to swim in piles of money. TF2 is one of the few games that actually seems to have hit some middle ground.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

How come companies keep pumping out lovely FPSs, and don't learn from those before. I mean Call of Duty is printing money so they get a pass. Who remembers Brink lmao

I got Brink at launch on Xbox360 because there was a big goon group there wich stopped playing after two weeks, that includes a goon that worked for Splash Damage. On PC it was even worse since it ran on IdTech and used OpenGL and like Rage, it managed to gently caress all ATI users for a long time (you have to blame ATI for their lovely drivers too). I got lucky that the trade value of Brink was decent and well, The Witcher 2 on PC came out so I think it wasn't that bad.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

General Battuta posted:

A few days with this game and I'm liking it a bit more! I am still absolute garbage trash at it compared to TF1, but I played TF1 from the beta and I'm jumping into this a year late, so hey.

Frothy narrated an hour long video written by players who preferred TF1. I agree with a lot of it! Especially the sense that TF1's design was much more coherent.

I'm still enjoying TF2 and I like the easy bunnyhopping. Curious what you guys think :shobon:

I still think of TF2 as a better game but I couldn't help but agree a lot of the arguments in the video.

I kinda agree about the map design but they can fix that by porting over more TF1 maps. The spawn system definitely could use a look for maps like Drydock.

I'm going to side with the video and say that I prefer the ticking down doomstate. The biggest reason is that at the moment a titan got doomed it counted as a kill rather than when the titan actually blows up.

I've learned to adjust to not having regenerating shields but I would much prefer that they did regenerate for pretty much all the reasons the video points out.

I preferred the Titan executions in TF1 because they were both briefer and 1st person. As cool as the TF2 ones are, they can start to feel a little long.

I agree with the video about Titan cores but only with regard to snowballing. A freshly dropped Titan is at a huge disadvantage against a Titan that has a ready/nearly ready core.

I 100% agree about the current rodeo mechanic. If you get rodeoed just do a 180 and kill the pilot. The pilot doing the rodeo gets no choice of when they jump off or what direction they jump in once they actually complete the rodeo and get the battery. An option to shoot the internals or go for the battery would be a nice compromise.

Pilot Movement in TF2 feels fine to me. Maybe slide hopping needs a change?

Could not disagree more about pilot weapons. Being able to hit without having to ADS is great. I wonder if the recent SMG change addressed the issues presented in the video. I will concede to the point about recoil.

UI has been fixed and I have no complaints about it.

Burn Cards sucked but the point about the way in which the cards changed things up was worth noting.

I stayed Gen 1 in TF1 because there wasn't anything to gain through regen. At least TF2 adds unlocks related to regen and allows you to bypass the progression system with credits so you can keep what you want.

Honestly, I think TF2 with patches/improvements could be just fine instead of giving up and hoping TF3 will be perfect.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Guillermus posted:

I got Brink at launch on Xbox360 because there was a big goon group there wich stopped playing after two weeks, that includes a goon that worked for Splash Damage. On PC it was even worse since it ran on IdTech and used OpenGL and like Rage, it managed to gently caress all ATI users for a long time (you have to blame ATI for their lovely drivers too). I got lucky that the trade value of Brink was decent and well, The Witcher 2 on PC came out so I think it wasn't that bad.

:same:

I still have my copy and I like to use it for fun gags.

Wazzit posted:

Was able to get an early copy from a local shop that doesn't give a gently caress. :woop:

gently caress.

Probably the most fun and use I've gotten out of it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

veni veni veni posted:

Trying to tap the FPS market right now seems like straight up gambling. Either you fail miserably, or make the next Overwatch and get to swim in piles of money. TF2 is one of the few games that actually seems to have hit some middle ground.

Eh, the various B-tier shooters seem to do OK, stuff like Rising Storm 2 and Verdun which probably didn't have huge development costs and sold for a lower price point. Several 100k of sales, they never get massive but usually have enough people playing that you can get a game a couple years down the line. Honestly I can see Lawbreakers going the same way, because despite the smug Battleborne comparisons, it probably cost a fraction to make and was never meant to be the Next Big Thing.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 10, 2017