Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some people are going ape poo poo because the Yankees are going to have player names on their jerseys for two days. They are nicknames too like "Chief" but no, tradition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Similarly, I used to be vegetarian, then vegan. I'm not anymore but I hate when people feel the compulsion to dunk on non-meat-eaters.

If I ever went out to eat with anyone besides close friends or family I'd try to feign my order of a vegan option as merely preference, because inevitably if you admit you are vegeterian or vegan you're going to get a stream of "you know field mice die in farming" and "OM NOM NOM BOY THIS BLOODY COW FLANK FLESH IS SOOOOOOOOO GOOD" and "You know humans can't survive without meat???" for the rest of the meal.

The preachy vegan is the stereotype but in my experience it's far more likely that the vegan will get preached at by others.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sometimes the Preachy Vegan and the Epic Bacon Person will start arguing and everyone around them loses

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Similarly, I used to be vegetarian, then vegan. I'm not anymore but I hate when people feel the compulsion to dunk on non-meat-eaters.

If I ever went out to eat with anyone besides close friends or family I'd try to feign my order of a vegan option as merely preference, because inevitably if you admit you are vegeterian or vegan you're going to get a stream of "you know field mice die in farming" and "OM NOM NOM BOY THIS BLOODY COW FLANK FLESH IS SOOOOOOOOO GOOD" and "You know humans can't survive without meat???" for the rest of the meal.

The preachy vegan is the stereotype but in my experience it's far more likely that the vegan will get preached at by others.

This has been my experience too. People get so butthurt about eating meat, as if they think I will run away and cry at the sight of a burger. I had someone try to tell me beef would cure my back issues, another who angrily retorted "WELL THAT'S JUST MORE MEAT FOR ME!" as if I had stolen every ounce of animal flesh off his plate and now he was finally able to feed himself.

I give zero shits about what other people eat but people get really loving whiny when you don't eat what they like. See also: fat people when you eat something healthy, especially if they're eating something unhealthy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Both are good

In fact, a spread of mayo and brown mustard is like one of the top tier condiment mixes for a good turkey sandwich. You don't have to one or the other them

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sunswipe posted:

Look at the behaviour of some sports fans towards other teams...There are always people within any group who feel the need to prove their devotion to the group by attacking another group.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's never enough to like something; you have to hate the competition to show you're a true fan.

People always seem really mad/perplexed that I like more than one baseball team in the same division (Mets/Marlins) until I let on that I hate the Braves (edit: entirely because of comments John Rocker made 18 years ago). Then it somehow becomes more okay.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Maggie Fletcher posted:

See also: fat people when you eat something healthy, especially if they're eating something unhealthy.

See also: thin people who henpeck fat people for eating fast food.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Dietary preferences should be like politics and religion - avoid discussing it and don't force it on anyone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aesop Poprock posted:

In fact, a spread of mayo and brown mustard is like one of the top tier condiment mixes for a good turkey sandwich. You don't have to one or the other them

HELL to the yeah. Mayo, brown mustard, and maybe a pinch of hot sauce. That's the sauce of champions.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

YeahTubaMike posted:

People always seem really mad/perplexed that I like more than one baseball team in the same division (Mets/Marlins) until I let on that I hate the Braves (edit: entirely because of comments John Rocker made 18 years ago). Then it somehow becomes more okay.
I find it slightly odd that I never seem to encounter someone who just enjoys football/baseball/whatever. Not that they follow a particular team, just that they enjoy the sport and get pleasure from seeing it played well. Or people who follow a specific player rather than a team.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sometimes the Preachy Vegan and the Epic Bacon Person will start arguing and everyone around them loses

when they both start arguing with the Anti Vaxx Soccer Mom then the end times will come

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sunswipe posted:

I find it slightly odd that I never seem to encounter someone who just enjoys football/baseball/whatever. Not that they follow a particular team, just that they enjoy the sport and get pleasure from seeing it played well. Or people who follow a specific player rather than a team.

One of my coworkers likes baseball in general, probably because he got into it from playing fantasy baseball. I'm ALMOST like this, but the fact that I live on the east coast means that most of my strongest opinions are going to be about teams in my time zone. Of course, I've been bored enough to watch central/west teams play, and I enjoyed myself enough, but it's not the same.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think the sport I least like talking about with other people is college football despite being a big fan of it. I have a friend I went to UF with and if I ever make the mistake of saying "I hope (other SEC team) wins tonight" he goes nuclear and calls me a loving retard for wanting the people "we" are competing with for recruiting to succeed. I mean, he does have a point, but me hoping they win under certain circumstances (like playing a poo poo team like ohio state or miami) has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome, who cares. It's like getting really mad at someone for saying they hope it rains - either it will or it won't, your desires don't enter the equation at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

They exist but if you follow a league closely you're usually gonna take a particular liking to a team.

And there are definitely people who primarily follow individual players, especially NBA fans.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The phrase "vidya gaymz", or variations thereof.

Like, I'm OK with it in the context of making fun of someone treating a toy as Serious Business, but in any other use it can gently caress right off.

(this is a slightly self inflicted peeve, because I follow a guy on twitter that is so worried about how people see him that he feels compelled to make "be sure to play vidya gaymz" tweets every couple days, and I haven't unfollowed him for it, yet)

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My pet peeve is when a comedian is referred to as a "funnyman".

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Jokester is the preferred nomenclature IIRC.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I really hate having finger and toenails. I can feel them constantly and it drives me nuts. I cut them as short as I can stand to but it doesn't help much, or for long.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I have these weird fleshy tendrils at the end of my hands and feet and they keep wriggling and writhing and creeping me out so I'm just gonna bite them off.

Ejit; sufesss! Irs hurtf a littlo butitll srop doon.

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Aug 11, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hate when you gently caress up the first couple letters while typing on your phone, and hoping against hope that if you keep adding letters, your keyboard will understand what you meant to type without having to clear the entire word and start over.

It never happens. :negative: It'll be gibberish, so you have to start over.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MisterBibs posted:

I hate when you gently caress up the first couple letters while typing on your phone, and hoping against hope that if you keep adding letters, your keyboard will understand what you meant to type without having to clear the entire word and start over.

Been there too many times.

This guy at work has been there for like four months and seemingly cannot grasp a working kitchen. This dude is always taking up multiple tables; standing in front of doors, even the cooler door when you're trying to get out; ignoring other people's alarms/buzzers even if asked to pull something if the buzzer goes off, I'll be right back; using the oven mitts for the steamer so they get wet and burn the gently caress out of your hands; tying knots in the bags of pasta instead of just enclosing them in the airtight storage bin.

I feel like I should study this guy, so if I ever need a character that innocently fucks up everything I have ideas.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

MisterBibs posted:

I recently had my finger placement juuust off enough while texting that I was going for the letter 's', but instead went through the sequence of 'a - backspace - d - backspace - a - backspace - d - m - backspacebackspacegoddamnit - s'. It was unexpectedly infuriating.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Brawnfire posted:

Been there too many times.

This guy at work has been there for like four months and seemingly cannot grasp a working kitchen. This dude is always taking up multiple tables; standing in front of doors, even the cooler door when you're trying to get out; ignoring other people's alarms/buzzers even if asked to pull something if the buzzer goes off, I'll be right back; using the oven mitts for the steamer so they get wet and burn the gently caress out of your hands; tying knots in the bags of pasta instead of just enclosing them in the airtight storage bin.

I feel like I should study this guy, so if I ever need a character that innocently fucks up everything I have ideas.

Do you have to repeat yourself at least 5 times when you ask him to do something? Because this sounds waaaaaay too familiar.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just had to sew a button back of a pair of trousers, so annoying to do even when you know how. The material is thick enough getting the needle through it is a pain and the material is dark so you can barely see where the thread goes in, so you end up making more holes and therefore more work than you need to. Cheaper than spending the money for a new pair though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

yo rear end is grass posted:

Do you have to repeat yourself at least 5 times when you ask him to do something? Because this sounds waaaaaay too familiar.

Yep: ask him to do something, several minutes later he stumbles up looking for obvious answers.

Why do alarms just not go off sometimes? Even on phones? If it's six am, a 530 am alarm is no longer"pending" you dick

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The newish "captcha" bullshit where you have to click through like 8 sequences of "select the street signs" or the endless "click until there are no images of vehicles left". It was extremely annoying when it was just "type this bunch of distorted letters", but now it's infuriating. It's also wrong a lot of the times. It will tell you to identify the street signs but then gives you things that aren't street signs and expects you to pick them and gives you the obnoxious "please try again" message and makes it even longer. If you already know what squares are "correct", why am I even doing this?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I'm not sure which are worse, those ones or the ones that make you watch 30 seconds of advertising to see the secret code word "Shell Gas" or whatever to type in. God I hate those.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

someone awful. posted:

I'm not sure which are worse, those ones or the ones that make you watch 30 seconds of advertising to see the secret code word "Shell Gas" or whatever to type in. God I hate those.

I haven't encountered these yet. Barf.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
People who order for an entire army at the drive through. I ordered one meal and three other cars now have to wait for 5 bags of food to enter one car.. Go inside if it's that large an order :argh:

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Intoluene posted:

People who order for an entire army at the drive through. I ordered one meal and three other cars now have to wait for 5 bags of food to enter one car.. Go inside if it's that large an order :argh:

A person in front of me at McDonald's did this. He was in a van full of people and was taking eight years to order. Car behind me got impatient and started honking. The guy in front thought it was me, so he paused, stuck his head out the window, and glared at me. Fortunately he didn't say or do anything, but I had to wait in the drivethru for like five minutes while they finished his order, all the while he's glaring at me from his rearview mirror.

Unrelated pet peeve: when you've finally found a comfortable position in bed, and then it dawns on you that you have to pee.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

I had something similar happen to me the other day. I had just an order of fries at McDonald's the other day, and I was getting more and more offended that more complex orders were being done before mine.

Like, I've worked at kitchens, so I know they have to do them in general order. But gently caress, man, knock out the simplest orders first! Grab some fries, clear the order!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also when people pause and grope through their food to make sure the kitchen did it right before driving away.

Especially here. I live in west Texas and there's a local mexican food chain that's not quite fast food Taco Bell poo poo but does have drive thrus. On monday, they have bean burritos for a dollar. These things keep pretty well in the fridge, and are very tasty, so sometimes you'll see students and the like buying 20 bean burritos on mondays. Why the gently caress do you need to check if your burrito pyramid is good? What are you even checking for?"HMM yes, this looks like a garbage bag full of burritos."

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 10:54 on Aug 13, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
People like looking for reasons to have a fit because it sublimatically satisfies their desire to be recognized as a victim of our lovely, inhumane, capitalist system.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also when people pause and grope through their food to make sure the kitchen did it right before driving away.

Especially here. I live in west Texas and there's a local mexican food chain that's not quite fast food Taco Bell poo poo but does have drive thrus. On monday, they have bean burritos for a dollar. These things keep pretty well in the fridge, and are very tasty, so sometimes you'll see students and the like buying 20 bean burritos on mondays. Why the gently caress do you need to check if your burrito pyramid is good? What are you even checking for?"HMM yes, this looks like a garbage bag full of burritos."

The correct number of burritos?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mods, please change my name to "counting burritos."

TIA.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Very specific: there's one really boring, time-wasting task that we have to do on the weekends at work and repeatedly my coworker has seen me doing it and said "hey, don't worry about that stuff, I'll do it", and he never does. And if I do it before he gets here, he'll say "hey, why'd you do that, I was gonna do that!" But he's literally never done it. Why do you keep telling me that, even though you've repeatedly proved to me that you won't? He might as well come in and say "hey, I'm gonna do all my work on the ceiling today".

oldpainless posted:

more like oldbeanless

Magic Hate Ball has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Aug 13, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

No fuckin argument there.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

more like oldbeanless
This is my favourite joke.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Aug 13, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When the same person gets in your way and then, somehow, gets in the way again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Going on Metacritic to look at reviews for a game I might consider purchasing, only to find that a sizable chunk of the reviews on the first page are in a foreign language. It'd be one thing if I knew that from the get-go, but they go as far as to translate the little blurb into english. You have 30+ reviews and the rest of your website is in english, put those at the top!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Just had to sew a button back of a pair of trousers, so annoying to do even when you know how. The material is thick enough getting the needle through it is a pain and the material is dark so you can barely see where the thread goes in, so you end up making more holes and therefore more work than you need to. Cheaper than spending the money for a new pair though.

I have a pair of pliers (and a thimble too) to save my poor fingers whenever I have to hand sew a thick material. missing the spot always sucks.

I use like embroidery thread for sewing on buttons, especially functional ones, because it's much more thread all at once. :v: