Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The main thing that bugs me about Doomfist is how easily he can gently caress people up on a very brief charge. An instakill attack with a 1-second windup time, that I can cope with, but being able to look in someone's general direction and bust out 100-150 essentially unavoidable damage (and do it every 4 seconds) gets obnoxious in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

doomfist is np just slampick widow every game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't really have a problem with doomfist as he is but I do think the punch callout should a) be more obvious and b) be distinct from a friendly doomfist

keeping track of doomfist is waaaaay harder than roadhog ever was. hog was a fat, massive, slow idiot that sounded like he was carrying an entire kitchen in his back pocket. plus the hook cooldown is literally twice as long as the punch and doomfist has crazy mobility

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
I don't think the metric for tracking should be the dude that fed ult and damage all day, he's a lot easier to track than genji

doomfist is cool and fun to play against, but agree with changing his punch callout for accessibility. He'll probably be nerfed regardless, his winrate is pretty high

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

genji isn't punching you into a wall so doomfist should probably be louder than him

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Minrad posted:

lol dont get hooked idiot

lol stop getting flashbanged and fanned

stop letting soldier shoot you, it's easy

just kill the genji.... it could not be simpler

I mean getting better at the game does actually require you to eventually start doing these things yes, or I guess since Blizzard has made it clear that if people complain loudly enough they'll just nerf a character into the gutter you could do that instead, both are valid options.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FAUXTON posted:

my facebook is filling up with people posting pictures of their little shitheads going off to school so I guess that means I can start having fun in overwatch again

It took me a second to realize this wasn't a post about Overwatch fanart

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Kassoon posted:

mmr is supposed to start swingy and gradually get less so as confidence increases. Confidence and mmr should decay daily or weekly to ensure users don't get stuck for too long in unfair matches when they're having a particularly good/bad day. Blizzard has a "SR" system that slowly lerps you towards your internal mmr to increase the number of matches you have to play, and also have no confidence decay. There's a pseudo "mmr decay" above diamond, but it only adjusts your SR. I've taken several long breaks from comp and every time I return after "decaying" I still get matched up against masters.

This is blowing my mind. I found the blue post that talks about it. So all I have to do is put in a normal effort and win 50% of my games and ill stabilize at some point after 20 or 30 games. Right now wins give me 50 and losses give me -15-20. This is because I've done nothing but qualify for 3 seasons. I guess I see the grind you are talking about. Its a grind to get back to the point where you can meaningfully change your MMR though gameplay improvement.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Ravenfood posted:

Any of the projectile classes that sometimes struggle to land shots clown all over him thanks to his huge hitboxes. Zenyatta and Orisa, for instance, can gently caress him up really well.

Zenyatta can't 2 shot Doomfist, so if they both engage at the same time, Doomfist hits before Zenyatta kills him even with perfect discord+headshot+headshot. So Doomfist wins if he gets the drop, which he should every time because he's an offensive flanker with mobility and Zenyatta is basically the least mobile character in the entire game. His Ult also is pretty strong against Zen.

Orisa is pretty okay against Doomfist, but even with extremely good accuracy she's likely to have a 2 second plus time to kill. Halt is really good against him, but Doomfist just has to basically ignore Orisa. At longer ranges Doomfist's very quick/unpredictable lateral movement skills are very effective against Orisa's fire.

Pharah isn't even really that great of a counter. They're more just-- noninteractive. Pharah needs three rockets to kill (a direct hit and two splashes), and if Doomfist is landing damage that number rises even more. It's sort of the same way that Pharah doesn't really counter Genji or Tracer, despite them not having a way to deal with Pharah, they can just totally avoid her with mobility. If Pharah was an effective counter to characters that can't shoot her, she would tyrannize the no soldier version of dive, which she only kinda does.

Roadhog counters him okay, but Roadhog is garbage against basically every other character. Junkrat can punish his mistakes quite well. Soldier can force him to play much more conservatively, as can McCree. Widow can really dunk on him if he's ignoring him, but if he has a flanking route then she doesn't stand a prayer in cqb. Hanzo is pretty good against him, scatter when Doomfist is charging is super easy.

Zarya is good at defraying his impact, and I think she does pretty good at flat out 1v1 against him in most situations. Reaper can be safe if he can dodge that punch, but no one wants to be that close to Doomfist. Mei can juke him p. good with a wall, and her ice block is nice, but good luck freezing him.

Other characters with oneshot abilities/noninteractive one shot combos have hard counters, or are relatively weak in most situations. Widow (headshot) and Hanzo(scatter, headshot) can both have a hard time with flankers, Widow more prominently, and both are weak at most tiers (Hanzo is even pretty weak at the highest tiers). Mei(freeze into m2) is considered generally weak, McCree(flash/fth) is weak at most tiers outside of the highest GM (and off meta there). Roadhog(hook) was an exception, but recently was nerfed into the ground, of course.

As long as rocket punch is as strong as it is, Doomfist will be one punch man. There is 0 reason to be using the rest of his kit for anything but escaping when rocket punch consistently secures kills on its own. Ideally, Doomfist should have to make the decision on whether or not to be using his cooldowns for damage or for escape, but right now he doesn't have to. There are so many maps where characters are forced into tight quarters with fiddly walls that were never designed with Doomfist in mind.

I think one of the most frustrating things about Doomfist is that he punishes opponents for playing "smart". There are many characters that want to keep distance from their enemies. They want to be able to duck around cover and disengage and pull back. What do you do when you're under fire from an unexpected angle? The further away from cover you are, the more shots you're gonna take and the more likely you are to die. But Doomfist encourages you to stay away from walls and hallways and doorframes. He encourages you to stand right on top of the payload instead of using it for cover. Like Pharah, he breaks all of the rules that the other characters play by. Unlike Pharah, he then proceeds to instantly kill you for it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

The Blue Caboose posted:

Zenyatta can't 2 shot Doomfist, so if they both engage at the same time, Doomfist hits before Zenyatta kills him even with perfect discord+headshot+headshot. So Doomfist wins if he gets the drop, which he should every time because he's an offensive flanker with mobility and Zenyatta is basically the least mobile character in the entire game. His Ult also is pretty strong against Zen.

Orisa is pretty okay against Doomfist, but even with extremely good accuracy she's likely to have a 2 second plus time to kill. Halt is really good against him, but Doomfist just has to basically ignore Orisa. At longer ranges Doomfist's very quick/unpredictable lateral movement skills are very effective against Orisa's fire.

Pharah isn't even really that great of a counter. They're more just-- noninteractive. Pharah needs three rockets to kill (a direct hit and two splashes), and if Doomfist is landing damage that number rises even more. It's sort of the same way that Pharah doesn't really counter Genji or Tracer, despite them not having a way to deal with Pharah, they can just totally avoid her with mobility. If Pharah was an effective counter to characters that can't shoot her, she would tyrannize the no soldier version of dive, which she only kinda does.

Roadhog counters him okay, but Roadhog is garbage against basically every other character. Junkrat can punish his mistakes quite well. Soldier can force him to play much more conservatively, as can McCree. Widow can really dunk on him if he's ignoring him, but if he has a flanking route then she doesn't stand a prayer in cqb. Hanzo is pretty good against him, scatter when Doomfist is charging is super easy.

Zarya is good at defraying his impact, and I think she does pretty good at flat out 1v1 against him in most situations. Reaper can be safe if he can dodge that punch, but no one wants to be that close to Doomfist. Mei can juke him p. good with a wall, and her ice block is nice, but good luck freezing him.

Other characters with oneshot abilities/noninteractive one shot combos have hard counters, or are relatively weak in most situations. Widow (headshot) and Hanzo(scatter, headshot) can both have a hard time with flankers, Widow more prominently, and both are weak at most tiers (Hanzo is even pretty weak at the highest tiers). Mei(freeze into m2) is considered generally weak, McCree(flash/fth) is weak at most tiers outside of the highest GM (and off meta there). Roadhog(hook) was an exception, but recently was nerfed into the ground, of course.

As long as rocket punch is as strong as it is, Doomfist will be one punch man. There is 0 reason to be using the rest of his kit for anything but escaping when rocket punch consistently secures kills on its own. Ideally, Doomfist should have to make the decision on whether or not to be using his cooldowns for damage or for escape, but right now he doesn't have to. There are so many maps where characters are forced into tight quarters with fiddly walls that were never designed with Doomfist in mind.

I think one of the most frustrating things about Doomfist is that he punishes opponents for playing "smart". There are many characters that want to keep distance from their enemies. They want to be able to duck around cover and disengage and pull back. What do you do when you're under fire from an unexpected angle? The further away from cover you are, the more shots you're gonna take and the more likely you are to die. But Doomfist encourages you to stay away from walls and hallways and doorframes. He encourages you to stand right on top of the payload instead of using it for cover. Like Pharah, he breaks all of the rules that the other characters play by. Unlike Pharah, he then proceeds to instantly kill you for it.

:hai:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

we need more doomfist-heroes in the game

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Boomfoot

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

also bring Roadhog back

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Non-interactive" was a terrible buzzword even in Hearthstone where it almost made sense, and Blue Caboose's post goes on to detail exactly how you interact with Doomfist -- if he makes good positioning a more complicated decision, one where you have to weigh the danger of being near cover vs. the benefit of being near cover, that's interaction. As always, not everything has to be about reaction.

He's correct in saying that optimal usage of abilities should be a non-trivial decision, but making Doomfist choose between getting a kill and getting away isn't automatically good just because it forces a choice. An offense character who can't get kills without putting himself out of position would be trash unless he had some other huge advantage, and the most obvious one (giving him lots of HP) is a worse solution than giving him good mobility, to say nothing of being Roadhog's gimmick anyways.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/895737405872848896

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

but ctf is already in the arcade

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mei can really gently caress Doomfist up, his large hitbox means he's like a flying roadhog and he's incredibly easy to sink M2s into for free ult charge. I'd put him between Winston and roadhog in how hard they feed into you. Cryo also fucks him up something fierce, since blocking a instakill punch basically means you win the fight unless he immediately burns uppercut/slam to disengage. And I mean immediately, because if he's even a second late it's practically guaranteed as long as you start spraying immediately.

I'm saying she messes with him and not kills him for a reason though, his health pool and shields mean actually finishing him off yourself is rare in my experience if they're the least bit competent without my team following up and melting him once I've thrown off his combo rotation.

So it's just kind of business as usual for her, good at loving with people but mediocre at actually murdering dudes

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

finally everyone can see for themselves that there's no difference

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you really want to make Doomfist miserable there has never been a better time for players outside of the 0.1% of the elite ranks in the game to pick Sombra. Hacking Doomfist completely fucks him over in a way that few other characters get hosed over, and he's a big enough boy that even your lovely SMG spray is more likely to hit him than miss him.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Deathmatch notes
+ Customized scoreboard

+ Two versions: 1) free-for-all 1v7, plays to 20 elims, 2) team deathmatch 6v6, plays to 30 elims, mercy rez removes kill credits

+ Being in the top half of players counts as win for arcade lootboxes (top 4 for free-for-all)

+ FFA dm uses modified portions of hybrid and assault maps + one new Deathmatch-specific map (has jump pads)

+ New FFA Map: Chateau Guillard, Widowmaker's home before she married her husband

+ Team dm uses arena maps and modified ctf/koth maps

+ Can skip killcam to respawn faster

+ Will add new rules to game browser version over time for more customizability

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 10, 2017

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20972920#patchnotes

Straight buffs across the board.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also some patch notes. Junkrat buffs, Widowmaker buffs, Orisa buffs, and a Hog change to turn him into even more of a fat, ult-feeding bullet sponge.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

gently caress this game posted:

Protective Barrier
Barrier size increase by 20%
Barrier shape has been changed to allow for more coverage from enemies that are below the barrier

:shepicide:

I guess it could be worse, but it still sounds obnoxious as hell.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

...and a Hog change to turn him into even more of a fat, ult-feeding bullet sponge.

The good news is he'll only be giving half the regular ult charge while puffing.

Then give the rest once he dies anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Oof, those are not all good buffs though. Roadhog's already been discussed to death but also lol at reducing the cooldown on Widowmaker's mobility, that specific weakness was the smartest part of her design and would have justified buffs elsewhere.

Orisa is a mixed bag, there's almost no projectile hero in the entire game where "faster projectile speed" would be inappropriate, but gently caress barrier buffs on principle.

Junkrat changes are awesome, at least.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

buffing widow is kinda surprising to me

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
"Fixed a bug that could cause D.Va's black ejection screen to briefly reappear after being ejected from her mech"

Praise Je--

"Widowmaker buffs"

AHHHH

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

finally I can go back to doing sweet 360 headshots on widow

what music should I use on my highlights video?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

buffing widow is kinda surprising to me

People have been begging, like every day since her initial nerfs, for buffs of some kind. They finally got something so kudos to them I guess.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
As if Sky-Sniping wasn't bad enough when you get to those higher ranks and some Widow is just raining poo poo down upon your head with no way to counter.

Now she can do it more often.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yay for Orisa shield buffs. Now maybe it will be big and noticeable enough my team will take advantage of it (they won't).

Going to have to relearn my aiming though for shooting down pharahs.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Played a few DM:FFA games, it's really fun even tho I'm wood league. Map is good I think

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Curious about the new Orisa barrier. I guess it won't be a hockey net anymore?

The Widow buffs make sense. 12 seconds was pretty severe for a mobility cooldown, and adding vision to the mine makes sense too (allows it to be used more offensively, while still overtly warning the victim that she's got vision on them).

But here's the big news:

quote:

Fixed a bug that could cause D.Va's black ejection screen to briefly reappear after being ejected from her mech

loving. FINALLY.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Supercar Gautier posted:

But here's the big news:

loving. FINALLY.
"briefly"? briefly?! Jeff, I once played most of a point B hanamura defense with nothing but a black screen, my HUD and red outlines! I mean we still won, but glad to hear it's fixed nonetheless

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 10, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I never got it that bad. But I would pretty much always get a second or so of black screen whenever Reinhardt knocked me out-of-mech. It was such a consistent bug to replicate that there's no excuse for taking this long to fix it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Curious about the new Orisa barrier. I guess it won't be a hockey net anymore?

The Widow buffs make sense. 12 seconds was pretty severe for a mobility cooldown, and adding vision to the mine makes sense too (allows it to be used more offensively, while still overtly warning the victim that she's got vision on them).

But here's the big news:

loving. FINALLY.

The Widow buff is huge in regards to Winston and kiting him. Almost too much. I would have been happy going from 12 on the grapple to 10 seconds.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Just because a bug is easy to replicate, doesn't mean it's easy to fix. It was probably hard to isolate the offending piece of code.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

After playing a couple of games of 8v8 I have had a revelation...

This is why they nerfed hog.

(game mode is fun and is where all the "pro genjis" will hang out from now on)

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
Anyone down for some chill games on the PS4? IGN: Astronautilis. Low gold/high silver so don't expect too much but definitely down for some comp games. Just add me and invite, I'll be on for a bit longer tonight!

Also, doomfist is annoying if played right but a non-issue for most teams. He will get one kill and die whereas a good genii or soldier can dominate a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
^^^ will add you, I'm CaptSpacebeard

Will I get comp points for Lucioball that go towards the golden weapon purchase even if I only do my 10 placements?