Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The Devil wants you to stop being racist and treat women and LGBTQ+ as regular human beings! THE HORROR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

just saw a range rover with vanity plates reading PAVE-IT. possibly the biggest douche in TX

I don't get it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly I've always found the most interesting stuff with religion to be the weird poo poo that the sermons never go into, like the parts expanding on the roles of the Judeo-Christian angels - There is a reason that they say "Be not afraid". it's because being divine isn't beautiful - it's mindmeltingly horrifying to behold, like the Ophanim in Ezekiels famous vision of the chariot, who are also mentioned in the Book of Enoch, huge flaming wheels with many eyes and wings that guard the throne of God, or the Cherubim, the four-faced celestial creatures that guard the Garden of Eden. I think the canonical Cherub actually appeared in an episode of the X-Files, portraying the human/lion/eagle/ox faces as constantly shifting between them, at once never on or another.

All you have to do to begin to convert the metal-heads and others of their Ilk would be to expose them to the really awesome poo poo, I'm sure an Ophanim or Seraphim t-shirt would sell like wildfire at a Metal concert. Although I feel kind of bad for the Seraphim, they are made by God, only to have their sole purpose be to cry "HOLY HOLY HOLY" a bunch in a purely symbolic gesture while flying around His throne. If it weren't for the usual excuse of "They get to bask in God's glory so they enjoy every minute of being in His prescence" that would sound more like Hell than anything else the Bible explicitly mentions.

I have a feeling the Angels have no will of their own at all, it feels like Humanity was an experiment to see how free will worked out after God practiced the whole "creature" thing by making the Angels.

I, myself, am an Atheist, it's just fun to think about the varying mythologies cooler stories. I feel the same way about the current mainstream Religions as I do about the ancient ones - I don't subscribe, but the stories are neat sometimes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You ever played Bayonetta?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah it's fun how we dig into the mythology of pagan religion but much less into that of "our own"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imagined posted:

Haha yeah I was just thinking the same thing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
A lil something for everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baME27DXwf0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Imagined posted:

I keep meaning to get the one on WiiU that comes with the first one, but I just never got around to it. I have a lot of other games I want to play.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I have a feeling the Angels have no will of their own at all, it feels like Humanity was an experiment to see how free will worked out after God practiced the whole "creature" thing by making the Angels.

That's a pretty common belief in Christianity, though by no means universal. (Satan's rebellion kind of puts a damper on it.)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is it normal to be kinda annoyed by further bastardization of the Coexist image?

Also on a similar topic, I find depictions of Hell from Christianity, the fire and brimstone type, really fascinating.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

That's a pretty common belief in Christianity, though by no means universal. (Satan's rebellion kind of puts a damper on it.)

New theory - Satan was a Seraph who simply switched the word he was saying. His entire rebellion was flying around God's throne yelling "rear end in a top hat! rear end in a top hat! rear end in a top hat!"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Can't get enough of atheists who just treat science as their religion. Cool guys.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I don't get it.

I took it as a dude driving a big gas guzzling SUV flaunting it with "pave the rainforest" plates, but as the above goon pointed out he could just own a paving company I guess.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

Can't get enough of atheists who just treat science as their religion. Cool guys.
Can't get enough of how they, not too unlike the others, don't know their scripture worth a drat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fathis Munk posted:

"The Singularity" has been called Rapture of the Nerds for a reason.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fathis Munk posted:

Also, no atheist has ever shot anyone. They just look through cool telescopes instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

This one's not political...but my stepmother had a vanity plate reading BLJ MOM

Because her son's football team was the Blue Jays, you see

I went to a family reunion last summer and one of the cars there had MAGA as the license plate. I was like drat, gotta major Trump fan here, but it turns out that's just what one of my aunt's grandkids all call her.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jurgan posted:

Also, no atheist has ever shot anyone. They just look through cool telescopes instead.

I've never heard of an atheist shooting someone because of their atheism. Whereas we can't go 2 weeks without hearing of someone shooting someone or blowing something up b cause of one religion or another.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BioEnchanted posted:

I, myself, am an Atheist, it's just fun to think about the varying mythologies cooler stories. I feel the same way about the current mainstream Religions as I do about the ancient ones - I don't subscribe, but the stories are neat sometimes.

And there you go - as long as they're treated as stories about living a better life, there's no issue. Only when the fanatics take excerpts out of context for their own lovely purposes does religion and its meanings get sketchy. I don't subscribe to any religion but don't associate with atheism or agnostic either, I just consider myself non-religious but don't care what anyone else wants to believe.

Then again, if overly crazy religious folks get on my nerves, I just troll them with this

Epicurus posted:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I suspect this thread is about to become unchill so let's not let that happen, gang!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

EmmyOk posted:

I suspect this thread is about to become unchill so let's not let that happen, gang!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jurgan posted:

that telescope is tiny and probably a pos.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Some local idiocy. The backstory is: bear became habituated to living in a mountain resort town, hates dogs, chases and charges people with dogs, strollers, etc on a daily basis. Instead of euthanizing her, parks officials moved her to a remote wilderness park so she could survive and not harm or kill anyone. There's quite a few people who are angry about this and think wildlife management is a crock of poo poo and she should have been left alone even though her life was in danger. The grizzly population in the Canadian Rockies is threatened so the loss of a single female bear would be devastating. They refuse to acknowledge this and now some made the stupidest Twitter account for the bear to try and make people who support relocation feel guilty. gently caress whoever this is. They're actively advocating a death sentence for the bear. This account really stinks of PETA.

https://twitter.com/BEAR_148/status/894255752814108672

https://twitter.com/BEAR_148/status/895589516978683904

GRIZZLY BEARS ARE OMNIVORES YOU DUMB poo poo

https://twitter.com/BEAR_148/status/894276287174369280

https://twitter.com/BEAR_148/status/894265762847662080

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

Some local idiocy. The backstory is: bear became habituated to living in a mountain resort town, hates dogs, chases and charges people with dogs, strollers, etc on a daily basis. Instead of euthanizing her, parks officials moved her to a remote wilderness park so she could survive and not harm or kill anyone. There's quite a few people who are angry about this and think wildlife management is a crock of poo poo and she should have been left alone even though her life was in danger. The grizzly population in the Canadian Rockies is threatened so the loss of a single female bear would be devastating. They refuse to acknowledge this and now some made the stupidest Twitter account for the bear to try and make people who support relocation feel guilty. gently caress whoever this is. They're actively advocating a death sentence for the bear. This account really stinks of PETA.

https://twitter.com/BEAR_148/status/894255752814108672

https://twitter.com/BEAR_148/status/895589516978683904

GRIZZLY BEARS ARE OMNIVORES YOU DUMB poo poo

https://twitter.com/BEAR_148/status/894276287174369280

https://twitter.com/BEAR_148/status/894265762847662080

There's nothing like homemade iosm. Those people are loving scum though and that's infurating.

Here's a fun dumb twitter account to counteract it!

https://twitter.com/NotAPoliceman/status/264184838439981056

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A lot of the time when bears become habituated it's because humans are actively trying to get them habituated so they can get cool pictures for internet likes, so gently caress em.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

EmmyOk posted:

There's nothing like homemade iosm. Those people are loving scum though and that's infurating.

Here's a fun dumb twitter account to counteract it!

https://twitter.com/NotAPoliceman/status/264184838439981056

Not a Cop from my hometown is back?! :neckbeard:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

water wet, sky blue, David Wolfe still insane

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

jivjov posted:

I've never heard of an atheist shooting someone because of their atheism. Whereas we can't go 2 weeks without hearing of someone shooting someone or blowing something up b cause of one religion or another.

You ever hear of Stalin? Or the Khmer Rouge? Or the Cultural Revolution? Atheists aren't immune from murdering people over beliefs.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Aug 11, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly I've always found the most interesting stuff with religion to be the weird poo poo that the sermons never go into, like the parts expanding on the roles of the Judeo-Christian angels - There is a reason that they say "Be not afraid". it's because being divine isn't beautiful - it's mindmeltingly horrifying to behold, like the Ophanim in Ezekiels famous vision of the chariot, who are also mentioned in the Book of Enoch, huge flaming wheels with many eyes and wings that guard the throne of God, or the Cherubim, the four-faced celestial creatures that guard the Garden of Eden. I think the canonical Cherub actually appeared in an episode of the X-Files, portraying the human/lion/eagle/ox faces as constantly shifting between them, at once never on or another.

All you have to do to begin to convert the metal-heads and others of their Ilk would be to expose them to the really awesome poo poo, I'm sure an Ophanim or Seraphim t-shirt would sell like wildfire at a Metal concert. Although I feel kind of bad for the Seraphim, they are made by God, only to have their sole purpose be to cry "HOLY HOLY HOLY" a bunch in a purely symbolic gesture while flying around His throne. If it weren't for the usual excuse of "They get to bask in God's glory so they enjoy every minute of being in His prescence" that would sound more like Hell than anything else the Bible explicitly mentions.

There are a bunch of metal bands that right about the cool weird poo poo in the Bible and Jewish mysticism and stuff.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
This was pretty much just posted and the comments are already hilarious.

(short video even shorter: Activision along with every big gaming company avoids taxes like a motherfucker while decreasing the amount of money they spend on making games as the revenue generated from microtransactions alone now exceed the money they make from the games themselves.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKnv1YzI3k

Happy Seafood Guy
Oct 8, 2008

I appreciate the thought process that went into: "private business is the way things should be because the government can't do anything right and taxation is theft and if you don't pay taxes they throw you into rape prison run by private business"

Full circle of stupid.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I want to bring up license plate talk because I IRL saw a license plate that said MAMBO V

It is equally funny to me if it's Lou Bega's or if it isn't his

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Why is it everytime someone goes "Hey giving money to this person/company/thing is bad" always ends it with "But you can give it to people suspiciously but exactly just like me winkwink"?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/895771586996785152

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Imagined posted:

You ever hear of Stalin? Or the Khmer Rouge? Or the Cultural Revolution? Atheists aren't immune from murdering people over beliefs.

the people that stalin, pol pot, or mao had murdered weren't murdered because of atheism though. they were political rivals or scapegoats for other problems.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/895720467247415296

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

thatbastardken posted:

the people that stalin, pol pot, or mao had murdered weren't murdered because of atheism though. they were political rivals or scapegoats for other problems.

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.