Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

What model of guitar is it? I have the older BassLines Quarter Pounders on a Squire Jazz Bass V with an active preamp and love the way they sound. Depending on how much treble you want, switching to flatwounds will increase string tension which can reduce floppy sounds. Also if you have a bridge that has either top or thru-body string routing, go for top.

Squier vintage modified jazz V now with quarter pounders in it, but no active preamp. I'm kinda regretting not getting something with active pickups.

tarlibone posted:

Get rid of all of the plug-ins and record a direct track with absolutely no effects, VSTs, pretend amplifiers, etc. Just bass direct into your DAW.

Now, tell us what you see, and we can maybe tell you what to do. BTW, does this problem occur when you're playing through an amp? An actual amp, that is.

I have a similar problem with my Ibanez 6-string, but I'm chalking that up to it being cheap. I plan on replacing the pickups to fix the problem. My Fender Jazz 5 doesn't have this issue at all.

First part is raw DI, second is with amplitube, third is a blend of both. All using a pick because that's how I'm going to play it most of the time anyway.
https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/bass-demo/s-YA7hm

Noticed that the B hits the neck pickup a lot so I lowered it a tiny bit. Also adjusted the amp settings a tiny bit, like switching mics in amplitube to condensors instead of dynamics and lowering the bass a tiny bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

Squier vintage modified jazz V now with quarter pounders in it, but no active preamp. I'm kinda regretting not getting something with active pickups.

First part is raw DI, second is with amplitube, third is a blend of both. All using a pick because that's how I'm going to play it most of the time anyway.
https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/bass-demo/s-YA7hm

Noticed that the B hits the neck pickup a lot so I lowered it a tiny bit. Also adjusted the amp settings a tiny bit, like switching mics in amplitube to condensors instead of dynamics and lowering the bass a tiny bit.

I've got to be honest: I don't hear a volume drop on the low B string here. On my 6 string, it is very noticeable. Just playing open strings, one after the other, you can tell by looking at the sound wave which one the B is -- it's the shortest wave. The others are the same. I'm just not picking up on that here.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Spanish Manlove posted:

I bought mine used and also had some flop issues with the original strings. I got it set up professionally to make sure the neck was bent the right way and put a custom string set on it using a heavy 4 string set and a single .135 or .140 B string to match. I can't remember which, but that helped.

The only recording I have of it is here. The strings were still new so the brightness made them a bit click-y but you get the idea. The only pedals I used for that song were volume, compressor, and boost in some parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAE4bJBSv-g

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tarlibone posted:

I've got to be honest: I don't hear a volume drop on the low B string here. On my 6 string, it is very noticeable. Just playing open strings, one after the other, you can tell by looking at the sound wave which one the B is -- it's the shortest wave. The others are the same. I'm just not picking up on that here.

Okie dokie so I am big a big ole worrywart. I switched to a 50-135 steel set compared to a 45-125 steel set and kinda like the beefier B string even though it's like one of those steel cables used on suspension bridges.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't want to cause even more worry but here's a weird thing I realized with bass strings. Most bass cabs, and I'm assuming realistically voiced sims, won't completely reproduce the fundamental frequencies you're getting out of the low B and similarly low strings. Sometimes when you go with a fatter string you lose the upper harmonics and end up with a "tighter" and fatter overall sound and feel but less cutting through ability on the low string. When you balance out the EQ for a mix you might find that mid range difficult to fit. Thinner strings will be the opposite, more high end harmonic content, less thick fundamental. More wiggle room to fine tune the bass in a mix. Something I've done with my loop pedal (a daw would serve fine too) is get a nice middy guitar tone loop going and work on the bass until it's in the right spot but not just pure bass, leaving room for the drums. Hopefully that makes sense I'm literally gardening right now while typing lmao

It's a balance, and an irritating one at that but I think it's worth pushing through.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I had added a few pedals before a show, so things were kind of a mess

So went and got to work with some aluminum.

...and all wired up and good to go again.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I await the day that the aluminum spontaneously gets covered in rust like your project cars.

Looks sharp! I'll need to make a better pedalboard once I add the compressor and possible envelope filter later this summer... It fits in my gig bag now, but that won't work with any additional pedals.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

The Science Goy posted:

I await the day that the aluminum spontaneously gets covered in rust like your project cars.

But aluminum is always oxidized or in the process of re-oxidizing though, Mr. Science Guy :smug:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Sockington posted:

But aluminum is always oxidized or in the process of re-oxidizing though, Mr. Science Guy :smug:

I followed your thread long enough to know you'll find rust in there somewhere...

The local shop just got in a MXR bass envelope filter, and it only took a few notes before I knew it would be added to the collection. It makes such wonderfully silly noises.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

The Science Goy posted:

I followed your thread long enough to know you'll find rust in there somewhere...

The local shop just got in a MXR bass envelope filter, and it only took a few notes before I knew it would be added to the collection. It makes such wonderfully silly noises.

I have one of those.

It's freaking amazing.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy
I got my dream bass. It's pretty much everything I ever hoped it would be.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That's very nice. I like the walnut ones especially.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Geddy Lee and Ricky :boom:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Very very nice looking Rick. I've never been able to find one in any music shops to noodle around on :negative:

One day when I'm not perpetually broke I'll have to get one.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They have some at the shop I go to but I'd feel like kind of a jerk asking to play an instrument I have no intention of buying (I'm poor and they're way out of my price range.)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ricks look and sound awesome, and that one looks amazing. But after playing around with one I have stopped wanting one. It's way clunkier than a Fender, it's like going from a Tele to an LP. And that pickup completely messed up my fingerpicking too. It's an awesome bass, but definitely try before you buy. But also try it, you might get money some day...

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Sockington posted:

loving right on. :rock:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

BonHair posted:

But also try it, you might get money some day...

If I was going to get an actual-adult-price-tag bass I'd probably look at a Stingray rather than a Rick, regardless of how badly it would disappoint the ghost of Chris Squire.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Sockington posted:

Yep.

Then his nuts dropped and he picked up a man's bass, made by one Leo Fender, who called his invention... Jazz.

(OK, it was the Deluxe first, but c'mon.)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
P-bass for life, although lately i've been playing a short scale at home and it's just so much easier to shred. I recently joined a noise rock band and I definitely wanna make the bass busy under the riffs. Making the bass lines on a short scale has been a time saver.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

BonHair posted:

Ricks look and sound awesome, and that one looks amazing. But after playing around with one I have stopped wanting one. It's way clunkier than a Fender, it's like going from a Tele to an LP. And that pickup completely messed up my fingerpicking too. It's an awesome bass, but definitely try before you buy. But also try it, you might get money some day...

I love the way Ricks sound, but I can't get down with their necks at all. Especially the 4004s- those things are like baseball bats.

P body + J neck is how I roll.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

I played one of these once and really liked it. What's the difference between a normal Precision neck and a Jazz neck? Jazz is narrower?

I think about getting a Precision now and then, but I've got too many basses as it is, and I'm not sure what a Precision would do for me that I can't get out of a 4003. Due to bad planning, I have a black 4003 with flats and a blue 4003s with roundwounds, so I can't even justify it for flats. I've also got a couple Gibsons, a Guild, and an acoustic Guild. I love the sound of the Ricks, but everything else is short scale with tapes or flats, which is definitely my thing. I have Trumpy little fingers, and it's a hell of a lot easier to get around on a short scale bass.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Gorgar posted:

I played one of these once and really liked it. What's the difference between a normal Precision neck and a Jazz neck? Jazz is narrower?

Yeah, Jazz necks are typically 1.5" at the nut, whereas P necks vary from 1.6-1.75".

I prefer smaller necks, and my two favorite 4--strings are the Geddy Jazz and -believe it or not- the Dean Jeff Berlin signature. I used my friend's Dean for a while, and the playability on that thing was like butter. I almost bought it off him, but in the end the Bartolinis and gold hardware were deal breakers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love my SB-2 but I would get a Stingray or Kiloton before I'd go near a Rick.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've been wanting to try a shortscale but haven't had the opportunity. The shop I go to had an Ibanez Mikro but that's really short scale, something like 28.5", plus it only had a single P pickup and I've always preferred bridge pickups. I suppose I should've tried it anyway, just for curiosity's sake. Maybe I will next time I'm there.

Thinking about it, 28.5" isn't far off what most 8-string guitars are these days. I wonder how well it would work to put light strings on a Mikro and use it as a cheapo djent machine?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The pickups very likely won't be voiced well for that regardless of the rest of your setup.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I really want a Danelectro Longhorn

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

I love the way Ricks sound, but I can't get down with their necks at all. Especially the 4004s- those things are like baseball bats.

That's mostly a problem only in newer Rics. The neck on my 70s 4003 is as thin as any Fender I've had, with a width that feels in between P and J. My 80s 4003s is a little fatter but still acceptable, and the 2016 4003s I had for a minute was a baseball bat and had to go (and why I have the 80s one now).

If you can live with the binding a late 70s regular ( i.e. Deluxe) 4003 is probably the best way to get into Rics. They usually go for less than current new models (especially if they've got some wear), and you get the thinner neck.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I just got a killer deal on a Troy Sanders P/J Jaguar Bass and thus begins my third? fourth? attempt at holding on to a bass long enough to actually use it. I learned to play music on a bass then switched to guitar because I have nobody to play with, then bought a 5-string fretless FOR FUN and quickly sold it because it was NOT FUN. My current plan is to clean it the gently caress up then whack on some flatwounds (originally bought for said 5-string so might be a bit long but gently caress it, can't sell the cunts so nothing to lose).

I'm happy using my Runt head as a DI box for recording, but one of the things I enjoy doing a fair bit is just jamming with people who come over (and they use the Runt for the guitar). Is there a piece of freeware that can very simply take my audio-interface signal, give it a little bit of cab simulation, compression, etc. without costing an arm and a leg? NBD if it's a VST, as I use reaper for home recording anyway.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

So I just got a killer deal on a Troy Sanders P/J Jaguar Bass and thus begins my third? fourth? attempt at holding on to a bass long enough to actually use it. I learned to play music on a bass then switched to guitar because I have nobody to play with, then bought a 5-string fretless FOR FUN and quickly sold it because it was NOT FUN. My current plan is to clean it the gently caress up then whack on some flatwounds (originally bought for said 5-string so might be a bit long but gently caress it, can't sell the cunts so nothing to lose).

I'm happy using my Runt head as a DI box for recording, but one of the things I enjoy doing a fair bit is just jamming with people who come over (and they use the Runt for the guitar). Is there a piece of freeware that can very simply take my audio-interface signal, give it a little bit of cab simulation, compression, etc. without costing an arm and a leg? NBD if it's a VST, as I use reaper for home recording anyway.

I know I've been talking about it too much lately but BIAS FX is $80 (usually 60 if you catch a sale) and has some decent bass setups and wonderful sounding effects.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Holy poo poo this bass is gross - I didn't realise frets could get verdigris.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know I've been talking about it too much lately but BIAS FX is $80 (usually 60 if you catch a sale) and has some decent bass setups and wonderful sounding effects.

Eh... $80 for 5% of the features doesn't seem worth it - though I have used the demo to good affect from time to time, I just wondered if there was something free (and less featured out there).

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Amplitube has a free version that you can add stuff to a la carte. I'm not a fan of the free bass cab though.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

They have some at the shop I go to but I'd feel like kind of a jerk asking to play an instrument I have no intention of buying (I'm poor and they're way out of my price range.)

I always buy some assorted accessory crap I'll probably need if I do that. String set, slide, a few picks (even though I don't use picks at all)...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

They were VST-only last time I looked, but Ignite have a bass amp (SHB-1) and cab sim (NadIR) that sound OK to me. They're probably worth checking out since they're free. http://www.kvraudio.com/developer/ignite-amps

I'm not the biggest fan of Guitar Rig 5 for guitar stuff (I bought it before I knew better because I had a "light" version that came with my interface), but I don't mind the bass amp and cabs in it. I did spend hours loving around trying to get a sound I liked, but that probably had more to do with me knowing literally nothing about modelling software, bass amps, microphones, etc at the time than any inherent problem with the program.

Anime Reference posted:

Amplitube has a free version that you can add stuff to a la carte. I'm not a fan of the free bass cab though.

Yeah the free bass cab in amplitube sucks. I've got some good-ish sounds out of the ampeg svx addon and the cabs are much better. It's currently on sale for $75. I really like the b15 model with my fretless bass.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 10, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been really leaning into all things Bernard Edwards lately (my next project is learning Everybody Dance, the proper way). He used a MusicMaster bass, short scaled (had to look that term up).

If I got that term for shorter basses right, what do you guys think about those kinds of basses? Better than getting a Precision or Jazz? I don't plan on buying another guitar for at least a year or two, but is fun to think about this early.

edit; I read that the Musicmaster helped him with muting too, so that's a bonus. Not exactly sure how tho.

e:

Dyna Soar posted:

P-bass for life, although lately i've been playing a short scale at home and it's just so much easier to shred. I recently joined a noise rock band and I definitely wanna make the bass busy under the riffs. Making the bass lines on a short scale has been a time saver.

Basically just curious about what differences you found with the short scale.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i guess it's just easier to play fast & all over the neck on a short scale than a p-bass w/ a 135-060 string set. i'm more used to playing riffs slow & low than fast stuff with actual basslines.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Are you sure Bernard Edwards used a Musicmaster for that? That's the first I've heard that, and he's usually associated with a Music Man Stingray bass, which is full scale and had adjustable mutes on it.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can get pretty close to the feel of a 32" short scale by tuning to D standard and sticking a capo on the second fret

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

DrChu posted:

Are you sure Bernard Edwards used a Musicmaster for that? That's the first I've heard that, and he's usually associated with a Music Man Stingray bass, which is full scale and had adjustable mutes on it.

Yeah, it seems like it's more likely Music Man from just checking out some YouTube videos. Those basses are kinda known for that Music Man humbucker tone. The vintage (and vintage spec) ones have adjustable mutes built in.

That said, it's a full length scale (34") like most basses and you can easily add a temporary mute. I just grabbed a sponge and cut it into a 1/2" strip and tucked it under the strings near the saddles.

If you're really looking for a new bass, then maybe check out the vintage spec Music Man basses with built-in mutes, regular Music Man basses, and (if you're more adventurous and want to deviate a little) G&L basses. There are actually a lot of basses that are pretty similar to the classic Music Man Sting Ray bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

I really want a Danelectro Longhorn

Danelectro basses sound really great with flats.