Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Trump addressed Russia kicking out our diplomats.

https://twitter.com/nickschifrin/status/895746093862006784

:psyduck:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

Time to short the South Korean economy and pray for nuclear war

Between this and eth mining I'll never get a new graphics card

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

TBeats posted:

so how hosed is everyone in SK if pyongyang catches a nuke?

because it would be kind of weird to watch chest thumping, military boner republicans and republican supporters kill a bunch of american troops and be okay with it.

because i am 100% certain there's a larger than acceptable group of people that would cheer him on if he nuked NK and killed abunch of american troops in the process.

the same Republicans that are all aboard turbo-loving transgendered service members?

remember, they care about the idea of the military, not the actual people.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Much like most of the military leadership.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the same Republicans that are all aboard turbo-loving transgendered service members?

well actually!

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/895746447227977729

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Casimir Radon posted:

I decided I was a libertarian towards the end of high school because it's a philosophy that appeals to dumb self-centered teenagers. I'd startes to turn against that in a pretty big way on my early 20s thanks to exposure to the real world, and being really mad about the knots people would tie themselves into for anti-Obama nonsense. Seriously, you're going to flip out about Michelle wearing shorts when they go on vacation?! gently caress you! I thoroughly loathed Republicans by this point. Scott Walker's bullshit after he got elected turned me from thinking libertarians were merely misguided, into outright hating them.

The guy is a loving sleezeball, ans Wisconsin's inability to get rid of him or Johnson makes me question why I ever thought it was an ok place. At a finer level you have shitbags like Ryan and Duffy that will probably never go away either.

To be fair, in 2014 the dems ran a woman whose only qualification was becoming the CEO of Daddy's corporation... and who had done next to nothing to improve or further develop the company. She was an idiot and an incompetent.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm mad about transgenders!
\

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

To be fair, in 2014 the dems ran a woman whose only qualification was becoming the CEO of Daddy's corporation... and who had done next to nothing to improve or further develop the company. She was an idiot and an incompetent.

Don't forget that she served all of one term on the Madison school board. gently caress Mike Tate with an ice auger, forever.

Edit: vvvv Uh...holy poo poo, am I reading this wrong, or did water desalination just get a whole lot easier, with a side of power generation to sweeten the deal?

Sexual Lorax fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 10, 2017

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
In good news: Army researchers made an aluminum nanomaterial to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen with no electricity or catalysts.

https://www.army.mil/article/191212/army_discovery_may_offer_new_energy_source

quote:

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md. -- Army scientists and engineers recently made a groundbreaking discovery -- an aluminum nanomaterial of their design produces high amounts of energy when it comes in contact with water, or with any liquid containing water.

During routine materials experimentation at the U.S. Army Research Laboratory, a team of researchers observed a bubbling reaction when adding water to a nano-galvanic aluminum-based powder.

"We all as a team were very excited and ecstatic that something good had happened," said Dr. Anit Giri, a physicist with the lab's Weapons and Materials Research Directorate.

The team further investigated and found that water -- two molecules of hydrogen and one of oxygen -- splits apart when coming into contact with their unique aluminum nanomaterial.

The reaction surprised the researchers, but they soon considered its potential implications for future power and energy applications.

"The hydrogen that is given off can be used as a fuel in a fuel cell," said Scott Grendahl, a materials engineer and team leader. "What we discovered is a mechanism for a rapid and spontaneous hydrolysis of water."

Scientists have known for a long time that hydrogen can be produced by adding a catalyst (a substance that increases a chemical reaction rate) to aluminum. But these methods take time, elevated temperature, added electricity, and/or toxic chemicals such as sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide or acid.

"In our case, it does not need a catalyst," Giri said. "Also, it is very fast. For example, we have calculated that one kilogram of aluminum powder can produce 220 kilowatts of energy in just three minutes."

That metric doubles if you consider the amount of heat energy produced by the exothermic reaction, he said.

"That's a lot of power to run any electrical equipment," Giri said. "These rates are the fastest known without using catalysts such as an acid, base or elevated temperatures."

The team demonstrated with small radio-controlled tank powered by the powder and water reaction. Moments after mixing the powder with a small amount of water, a bubbling reaction produced a great deal of hydrogen, which was then used to power the model around the laboratory.

"We just take our material, put it in the water and the water splits down into hydrogen and oxygen," Grendahl said.

Grendahl said the discovery is dramatic in terms of its future potential.

"There are other researchers who have been searching their whole lives and their optimized product takes many hours to achieve, say 50 percent efficiency," Grendahl said. "Ours does it to nearly 100 percent efficiency in less than three minutes."

Additionally, since the nanomaterial powder has the potential to be 3-D printed, researchers envision future air and ground robots that can feed off of their very structures and self-destruct after mission completion.

Researchers said one possible application of the discovery that may help future Soldiers is the potential to recharge mobile devices for recon teams.

"These teams are out for a short number of days, three to five days, and a lot of that depends not only on their food supplies, but on how long their supplies last in terms of their equipment and right now that stems from lithium batteries," Grendahl said. "If we can recharge those batteries, they can stay out longer."

Giri said the work at the Army Research Laboratory is all about giving Soldiers the advantage.

"We work here to help our Soldiers," Giri said. "That is our sole aim. This material we have developed will do so."

The next steps are to document the discovery with scholarly papers and intellectual property protections, some of which are ongoing, and to coordinate further applications with scientists and engineers across the laboratory.

"We all feel pretty good that this can contribute to a new kind of research to generate power at ease and at will," Giri said. "I come to work every day excited and enthusiastic."

---

The U.S. Army Research Laboratory, currently celebrating 25 years of excellence in Army science and technology,is part of the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command, which has the mission to provide innovative research, development and engineering to produce capabilities for decisive overmatch to the Army against the complexities of the current and future operating environments in support of the Joint Warfighter and the Nation. RDECOM is a major subordinate command of the U.S. Army Materiel Command.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Full quote.

https://twitter.com/TomNamako/status/895743494353977349

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Delizin posted:

In good news: Army researchers made an aluminum nanomaterial to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen with no electricity or catalysts.

I cannot wait for my grandkids to burn a block on nanometal to get their TO holobricks to charge on their 11th hour out of. The flightless.

The future is dope sometimes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/AaronMehta/status/895750141528768512

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Delizin posted:

220kw of energy not counting heat :stare: like that's nowhere near fossil fuel levels but since it's acting as a cracker not a fuel that's not the point. I've been saying about hydrogen for years it's too expensive to create the hydrogen but jesus... this is good

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

One time when I was in 9th grade I had to do a science presentation in class. It went about as well as this statement and I failed the assignment.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TBeats posted:

One time when I was in 9th grade I had to do a science presentation in class. It went about as well as this statement and I failed the assignment.

His staff knows how stupid he sounds.

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/895753330454142977

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This is the president of the United States thinking that expelled diplomats are suddenly off the payroll

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/895747111865790465

brains
May 12, 2004

Delizin posted:

this reads like one of those "amazing breakthrough entropy-violating process just discovered in basement, works better than all other conventional designs, all it needs now is your money!!" unverified website claims.

except it's not :psyduck:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delizin posted:

I wouldn't trust a news article that uses kW as a unit of energy.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Can a president unilaterally order a nuclear strike or is there a two-man rule in place? IE: Trump gets mad at lil Kim, decides to cleanse Pyongyang, can he just ask for the football and launch? Or does he have to get someone else in his cabinet to agree as well? If so, whats to stop him from just going down the list until he gets a yes?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two people on the NSC have to agree, I think.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Two Finger posted:

220kw of energy not counting heat :stare: like that's nowhere near fossil fuel levels but since it's acting as a cracker not a fuel that's not the point. I've been saying about hydrogen for years it's too expensive to create the hydrogen but jesus... this is good

What's the energy density of say gasoline or diesel?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If Mattis gets fired, I would bet it's because Trump is trying to get nukes launched.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

crazyivan45 posted:

Can a president unilaterally order a nuclear strike or is there a two-man rule in place? IE: Trump gets mad at lil Kim, decides to cleanse Pyongyang, can he just ask for the football and launch? Or does he have to get someone else in his cabinet to agree as well? If so, whats to stop him from just going down the list until he gets a yes?

If I remember correctly, its technically his call. But lets get real, there are enough adults in the administration and DoD that he can scream all he wants, they aren't launching poo poo unless US personnel or property is hit first.

To be honest. I really don't think this is anything worth making GBS threads ourselves over. Kim Jong whatthefuckeveroneweareonnow is just doing the same saber rattling North Korea has been doing since the 50s and now we have an idiot who is yelling back. No one is going to do anything that causes actual war*.

* - Subject to change.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

crazyivan45 posted:

legally and funtionally its 100% the presidents call. People in the room have to not allow him to physically give the order for that to change. The people in the CoC could theoretically ignore the order but they drill such that they shouldn't ever really know the difference between a training order and a real order for that exact purpose.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2016/11/18/the-president-and-the-bomb/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Two people on the NSC have to agree, I think.

Bannon and Kushner. Boom.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/nukes/

Radiolab did a good podcast on the nuke chain of command

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

legally and funtionally its 100% the presidents call. People in the room have to not allow him to physically give the order for that to change. The people in the CoC could theoretically ignore the order but they drill such that they shouldn't ever really know the difference between a training order and a real order for that exact purpose.

Are nuke officers sequestered from the rest of the world while they're on duty so they never know if they're doing the real thing?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

not caring here posted:

What's the energy density of say gasoline or diesel?

Been a while but I remember 47MJ/L for diesel. You need to remember though this is just the energy of the reaction, providing free hydrogen which is substantially energy denser than diesel.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This tweet got deleted. Try to figure out why.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

This tweet got deleted. Try to figure out why.

They misspelled "peek"?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Been a while but I remember 47MJ/L for diesel. You need to remember though this is just the energy of the reaction, providing free hydrogen which is substantially energy denser than diesel.

If you convert 220kW to MJ using E(J) = 1000 × P(kW) × t(s) you get E(J) = 1000*220*240 or 52,800,000 Joules of energy produced just from the hydrogen liberated from the reaction. That's 52.8 MJ/L for the aluminum reaction. It has a higher energy density than either gasoline or diesel, assuming no losses of energy.

BTW kW is a unit of energy just like a joule, a kW/h is a unit of power (which would be wrong). So the article wasn't wrong in using kW, but it would have been better to use Joule so we didn't have to convert it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 10, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Shoot, a fella’ could have a pretty good weekend in Kabul with all that stuff.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

at the date posted:

They misspelled "peek"?

No they didn't :gizz:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

at the date posted:

They misspelled "peek"?

Look closer at the contents.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

TBeats posted:

This is the president of the United States thinking that expelled diplomats are suddenly off the payroll

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/895747111865790465

What in the Jesus

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/wasim_dr/status/895347968429232133

Global warming. Nuclear war. End of days

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

orange juche posted:

If you convert 220kW to MJ using E(J) = 1000 × P(kW) × t(s) you get E(J) = 1000*220*240 or 52,800,000 Joules of energy produced just from the hydrogen liberated from the reaction. That's 52.8 MJ/L for the aluminum reaction. It has a higher energy density than either gasoline or diesel, assuming no losses of energy.

BTW kW is a unit of energy just like a joule, a kW/h is a unit of power (which would be wrong). So the article wasn't wrong in using kW, but it would have been better to use Joule so we didn't have to convert it.

Holy poo poo.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Two Finger posted:

The article doesn't seem to state at all what's acting as the fuel so something clearly got lost in translation there. Maybe the Al grabs the O from the water, I forgot how to determine whether or not that would fit the bill of what they describe, i.e. the reaction being exothermic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If anybody knows someone in the press pool, survey then to see if any of them would risk getting shot by the secret service if trump pulls out the football in the middle of a presser to act macho.

• Locked thread