Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Mostly good lex Luther is one of the best things about DC right now.

Yeah it's great. It's nice that he really was inspired by the sacrifice of N52 Superman, proving that he was wrong about him the whole time. I imagine at some point DC will switch him back to being horrible again at some point, but for now it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

purple death ray posted:

The Signal is such a great codename. That costume is bad though, the one he's been wearing in All Star backups is way better.

I'm so glad they didn't go with Lark.

The Signal is a bad codename.

"Light the Signal!"

*sets Duke on fire*

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Signal is great because it is not another bird name. It opens the door for that kind of close ally to have a little more variety in naming, rather than just opening Wikipedia to find a bird they haven't used yet. It's also sending a clear message that Batman is not just something you have to worry about at night. Duke is in this bright yellow outfit and the promo image is him and Batman against a sunrise. It's optimistic and inspiring. I think it's fantastic. And the people of Gotham being inspired by the sight of the Bat signal isn't a new concept either. Now they've got an actual figure they can look to in the daylight when the Signal could never be seen before.

It's really good and there's a lot of thought that went into it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

The Signal is great because it is not another bird name. It opens the door for that kind of close ally to have a little more variety in naming, rather than just opening Wikipedia to find a bird they haven't used yet. It's also sending a clear message that Batman is not just something you have to worry about at night. Duke is in this bright yellow outfit and the promo image is him and Batman against a sunrise. It's optimistic and inspiring. I think it's fantastic. And the people of Gotham being inspired by the sight of the Bat signal isn't a new concept either. Now they've got an actual figure they can look to in the daylight when the Signal could never be seen before.

It's really good and there's a lot of thought that went into it.

The Bat Signal only appears properly at night, if you're trying to have a character whose focus is the daytime then that's a bit odd, as is putting them in a bright yellow outfit which by its very nature will stand out and contrast better at night. You've basically listed a lot of reasons why it doesn't work.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

First Batwing, now Signal. It's rather poor optics that DC keeps giving Batman's African American allies the same names as his tools.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's the whole point, is to show that the bat signal works during the day now. Like they've been saying ever since Rebirth started he's trying something new with Duke. He's changing the game. He's not just another teenager in a mask swinging around at night punching people. Everyone knows the batsignal only works at night. Now Batman's asking "What if it did, though?" and you're just like "that's dumb obviously it doesn't."

Yall need to get on board with this. It's actually really great. I mean it's Snyder so he's going to gently caress up the execution but the concept is extremely inventive as far as Batman sidekicks.

E: and there's no universe where a guy wearing bright yellow from head to toe doesn't stand out in broad daylight, come on. Sunlight doesn't camouflage the color yellow.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 10, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The sun isn't yellow guys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Now Batman's asking "What if it did, though?" and you're just like "that's dumb obviously it doesn't."

Yes. Because it doesn't. Batman going "BUT WHAT IF IT DOES?!" doesn't change that fact because the costume design and name work against it. There are a lot better ways to do Daytime Batman than that.

It's also impossible to get on-board with a character design which is so ugly and a character name so forgettable that I already know they're going to get killed off in the background panel of an event three years from now so Batman feels bad.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Snyder's been building Duke up for literally years at this point and he's co-headlining a comic called "Batman and The Signal" but because spotlights don't work during the day he's going to get killed off panel in a crossover.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Man I really hate Batman for trying something new!

Man I really hate Batman for never changing!

Repeat forever

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

purple death ray posted:

Snyder's been building Duke up for literally years at this point and he's co-headlining a comic called "Batman and The Signal" but because spotlights don't work during the day he's going to get killed off panel in a crossover.

The build up has been bad though. The most characterization he got was from Bermejo during We Are Robin and both King and Snyder throw that off the window when they took over for Rebirth.

And yeah, that costume is bad but at least is better than Harper's not that is a high bar to clear but still.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Despite thinking they could have come up with a better code name, I'm ultimately happy Duke is still around and getting a push in the comics. I won't be following the comic, as I haven't liked Snyder's comics in a while, but I hope it does well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Let me be clear here: Your argument is that a Hot New Character who a specific author spends a lot of time building up is clearly not going to be forgotten or fodder for a shock event death once that author moves on.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
The concept of Daytime Batman is rad as hell but that name and costume are garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If Scott Lobdell had come up with this DT would be first in line to slob the knob.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonshirt posted:

The concept of Daytime Batman is rad as hell but that name and costume are garbage.

Yeah, I have no problem with Daytime Batman as a concept. (Except insomuch as "Batman But In The Day is like a dozen other existing superheroes" but it's fine as a Batman plot point too.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Venture Bros. already did Daytime Batman anyway.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I Googled the opposite of nocturnal and got 'diurnal'. then Googled 'diurnal bat' and got this...

There's your bloody name!

In other news:
https://twitter.com/jesswchen/status/895395511657668609
She's apparently the first female Superman editor in the years since Eddie Berganza's sexual harassment accusations.

Now I'm gonna attempt to read the Newsboy Legion special again. I skipped to the Kirby story at the end after a couple of impenetrable Chaykin pages and that was super charming.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 10, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Signal is a synonym of Green Lantern.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The Signal is a synonym of Green Lantern.

I am like positive that some alt-universe version/knockoff of GL was named The Signal. I almost want to say Astro City but I don't think that is right.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I Googled the opposite of nocturnal and got 'diurnal'. then Googled 'diurnal bat' and got this...

There's your bloody name!

In other news:
She's apparently the first female Superman editor in the years since Eddie Berganza's sexual harassment accusations.

Now I'm gonna attempt to read the Newsboy Legion special again. I skipped to the Kirby story at the end after a couple of impenetrable Chaykin pages and that was super charming.

Sounds/looks too much like urinal. Rejected.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of GL, here's The DawnBreaker

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
It's a shame about his Bell's palsy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wearing all black in space is a terrible idea, if you're not careful you're going to walk right into the street and get hit by a Space Cabbie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Codependent Poster posted:

The Signal is a bad codename.

"Light the Signal!"

*sets Duke on fire*

But it makes for some great puns. Particularly when re-warching the Lego Batman Movie.

Lego Batman: Barbara, it is your job to turn on the Signal.

:quagmire:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I like Signal's costume. :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Signal will shine.

Look to the Signal.

Criminals, a superstitious and cowardly lot, will scatter before the light of the Signal.

It's a good name!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Forget Artemis and Jason Todd being a thing.

I've been rooting for Bat-Man and Wonder-Woman to be a thing in New Super-Man for half a year now, and I now have my wish.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Speaking of Batman support character's, can Maps become an official sidekick? She'd lend some much needed positivity to the current Bat-Fam, and her nickname even works with the new naming scheme!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's in Snyder's contract that they're not allowed to give Batman any helpers that he didn't develop.

Also, Maps needs to form her own super team with the young Beth Prez that was established in the Catwoman election special.,

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 10, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's in Snyder's contract that they're not allowed to give Batman any helpers that he didn't develop.

Also, Maps needs to form her own super team with the young Beth Prez that was established in the Catwoman election special.,

As long as Star-Blossom is in the book too

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think they would first have to develop her as some kind of super-tech wizard before she could be considered a member on the Bat-team.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

OhFunny posted:

The end of the current New Super-Man arc felt a bit rushed. I think it could've used another issue to flush everything out.

I was happy to see some of the Great Ten make an appearance, but I was wondering why the hell Immortal Man In Darkness was outside of the plane.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh, it sucks that they made Duke's costume worse than the pretty good one he was using. That said, it's a cool idea and I'll definitely check it out. Honestly, "they shouldn't have a yellow costume in broad daylight" has to set a new standard for pointless pedantry as criticism.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't like his costume because he looks like he's Wolverine. Maybe the new Dark Claw.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yellow is not the problem with Duke's costume. The problem is that it's ugly.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

In other news:
So does this mean Berganza is fired?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was glad to see a not-lovely, not-Azzarello Orion pop up in GLC this week, but my heart shed a lil' bitchy tear when he didn't know who Kyle was. :saddowns: I was just, "Nooo, it's your boy Kyle. You know him! You went through so much* together!"

*subject to debate

This arc of Detective Comics didn't quite hit the high of the last one but it's still pretty consistently stellar. I had hoped Zatanna would somehow become a fixture of the team, but then, she was already kinda OP here -- there were at least four times in this story where she showed up in a dangerous situation, waved some magic and just fixes things outright -- so maybe being a little conservative with her appearances is for the best.

New Super-Man did feel a tad lil' bit rushed, but I'm actually not sure how much of that might be because Yang is trying to wrap up as many things as he can in fear of cancellation, or how much of that is just how Yang generally writes anyway. Looking back on the series, he tends to have a lot of things happening in lots of issues as a matter of course, and it generally works out pretty great.

I don't know if it was Ivan Reis' top-notch art helping it out here or what, but JLA suddenly became a pretty good book this week. I think it helps that they're actually focusing on a personal problem from one of the team members and not gallivanting around doing random poo poo about the most obscure uninteresting villains Orlando can drudge up from the anals of DC history (not a typo). Besides, it's always a fun time when you have Atoms doing Atom stuff in the microverse.

Pick of the week is Justice League/Power Rangers #5, easily. It's interesting that Tom Taylor has been writing such an...inverted, fascistic, brutal Wonder Woman over in Injustice, and yet seems to shift so easily into writing an incredibly inspirational, in-character Diana over here. I'd say that you have to be able to understand characters at their darkest to be able to understand them at their best, but sadly that seems to be the exception instead of norm for most writers :v:.

Speaking of which, strange that Wonder Woman skipped another week here. Not having WW in the same week as these other comics is gonna throw off my anticipation clock a lot lol.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aphrodite posted:

The sun isn't yellow guys.
Then where does Superman get his power from, smartass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Nessus posted:

Then where does Superman get his power from, smartass?

Lawyered.