Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know of a cheap USB audio dongle that can do both stereo out and stereo in? All the $7 adapters I'm finding on Amazon only do a mono Microphone in but I'm looking for more of a line-in, and I have to keep the cost low as I'm buying dozens of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

FooF posted:

Updated budget build:

I'm re-using my case, SSD, and power supply.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($78.87 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card ($269.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $619.62

The CPU is just a stand-in until the i3 8350k comes out but I'll have to wait until Aug. 21st to see if it's available at launch or if Intel will wait until Q1 2018. If they decide to wait, I'm not out a whole lot and have a decent budget cpu in the interim.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

All signs point to that new i3 not being compatible with z270 motherboards.

Funxion posted:

I've been lucky and now am able to splurge on a new gaming system. So far I have come up with this build.

1 x Intel® Core i7-7700, 3,6 GHz (4,2 GHz Turbo Boost) socket 1151 processor € 329,-
1 x ASRock Z270 Pro4, socket 1151 motherboard € 119,-
1 x MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, Graphics € 719,-
1 x WD Red, 4 TB HD € 139,-
1 x Samsung 850 EVO, 500 GB SSD € 169,90
1 x Cooler Master G650M, 650 Watt PSU € 82,90
1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit, Software € 89,-
1 x Corsair 32 GB DDR4-2400 Kit RAM (2x 16GB) € 274,-
1 x iiyama B2783QSU-B1, 27" Gaming Monitor (2560 x 1440) 329,-
1 x NZXT Noctis 450, Tower ATX € 129,90

Additional info: I already have two good monitors but they will sit on either side of the new monitor and be primarily used for chat, browsing and video (2x Iiyama prolite GE2488HS (1920x1080)). The new monitor will be for the games mostly, hopefully running things at max res and settings. I have left out a seperate CPU cooler from this build as I'm not really planning to OC anything from the getgo, though I've been told that it might future proof my build a bit more.

Some technical questions:
- The new gfx card has 3 DP ports which I'd prefer to use over the older tech. The two older monitors I have do not have DP but do have HDMI (and DVI-D which I don't want to use anymore), I had in mind to get two DP -> HDMI adapters for the older monitors and full DP with the new one, will I run into issues with this? The two monitors won't be asking much of the GPU while I'm gaming, unless I decide to play youtube on both of them WHILE gaming (TF?).
- Is it good practice to marry certain makes? I mean in this build I'm using MSI for the GFX and ASRock for the Motherboard, would it be better for me to use ASRock for the GFX too or any other makes for that matter? (Need that intel NIC)

So what do the wizards think?

(Prices are for the Netherlands)

New and seemingly way better Intel chips will be released in less than 2 weeks. I highly advise waiting for the 8600k or 8700k. Mixing and matching different manufacturers makes no difference either. Your monitor setup with adapters should work fine as well. At least I've never had problems mixing and matching hdmi and dp for multiple monitor situations.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

New and seemingly way better Intel chips will be released in less than 2 weeks. I highly advise waiting for the 8600k or 8700k.

I'm not that guy but I was going to basically copy the "SA Performance Gamer" build from the OP using an i5-7600K, am I correct in assuming I should also wait a few weeks for these new processors?

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013

Thwomp posted:

So here's a small revision:
CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B250I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

With this, the money saved by going with the Kaby Lake Pentium helped cover the extra cost of the MSI board and some of the extra cost of the Fractal 304. For about the same cost as the other build, this one provides a Kaby Lake cpu and a case with room for 4 hard drives (vs three) that's only 3 inches longer than the other case. And I can always add another stick of ram to it as needed.

Anyone else see anything amiss?

Looks ok.

Also Intel's new 8th gen chips are releasing on Aug 21st, so it might be worthwhile seeing if an i3-8100 is worth your while.

That last sentence is also for anyone asking about a new build in the next 2 weeks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

semper wifi posted:

I'm not that guy but I was going to basically copy the "SA Performance Gamer" build from the OP using an i5-7600K, am I correct in assuming I should also wait a few weeks for these new processors?

It looks like you're going to get 50% more cores for a less than 5% price premium, so yes.

Or you could buy an i3 and save $80 or $90 on a 4 core chip.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
What's the likelihood of deep discounts on electronics around Labor Day. Surely not Black Friday good but...?

Example: I just got an alert about the video card I'm interested in going down almost $35 which seems pretty substantial. From ~$320 to ~$285 seems pretty respectable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hagie posted:

What's the likelihood of deep discounts on electronics around Labor Day. Surely not Black Friday good but...?

Example: I just got an alert about the video card I'm interested in going down almost $35 which seems pretty substantial. From ~$320 to ~$285 seems pretty respectable.

Video card prices are slowly coming back to normal. This isn't related to any holiday sales, just supply and demand.

I bet that video card you were interested in cost $240 or less a year ago.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I'm not 100% clear on what "releasing on the 21st" means for Coffee Lake. Does that mean desktop chips will be available for purchase then?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redeyes posted:

I need a case with 6x 5.25 bays for some iStar hotswap backplane bays. Each bay takes 3x5.25" slots. I have a rackmount case which has enough 5.25" slots but I can't fit that plus a full sized gfx card. Need a new case.

Cooler master has a few cases that have a lot of 5.25" bays optionally accessible like the Stryker and trooper. You can put fans in or use the bays:
https://smile.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Stryker-Computer-SGC-5000W-KWN1/dp/B008O2HOI2/
https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Trooper-Computer-SGC-5000-KWN1/dp/B00GMG5KD8/

They're a little ugly but have so many 5.25" drive bays!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Besides my main PC, I've been building up a "Server Box" to handle a bunch of stuff (backups, web server, virtual machines, etc).

I just found out its onboard SATA is only SATA II / 3.0 Gbps. It's loaded with a bunch of SATA III / 6.0 Gbps SSDs, and their speed was of course way lower than it should have been.

I have some SAS 9211-8i HBA cards, which have a PCI-Express 2.0 connection and support 8 SATA III / 6.0 Gbps devices. The cards are even bootable!

Well, they are BIOS-compatible bootable. My main system and my server boot up in UEFI mode (and both already have working OS installs set up with UEFI). When booting in UEFI mode the HBA isn't even listed, and in BIOS mode I can select the HBA to boot from them but then the OS won't load in BIOS mode.

Edit: never mind. Apparently it is UEFI compatible. Wiping and flashing new firmware on it didn't replace the UEFI firmware.

From Avago:

quote:

Some of the scenarios below ( ) involved erasing the controller firmware first with the '-o -e 6' command line option, then flashing it back. Doing this erases the EFI BSD.

I flashed UEFI firmware to its "EFI-BSD" via the MegaRAID program, and on reboot it listed drives as boot options.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 10, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm planning to upgrade my gaming PC to something high/top-end with a Ryzen CPU, and I was wondering if there's a recommended motherboard right now as most of the reviews online seem to be from around March/April. I'm in Australia, with a budget of about $1000-$1100 AUD, not including the graphics card (which I already have). I'd also prefer something higher end in regards to any recommendations or changes to my list goons might have (doesn't have to be poo poo-hot top-shelf overclocking-designed parts, just decent stock specs are fine), as I plan to burn more money down the road with a VR headset.

My current parts list is as follows;

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard Unsure, currently looking at maybe either a Asus PRIME X370 Pro, or a Gigabyte GA AX-370 Gaming 5.
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition (I already have this).
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200

eames
May 9, 2009

The Gigabyte is a good motherboard but it has a bug where it sometimes won't turn on until you remove the CMOS battery for half an hour. Google for "Gigabyte softbrick". Decent hardware let down by the BIOS/UEFI.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm planning to upgrade my gaming PC to something high/top-end with a Ryzen CPU, and I was wondering if there's a recommended motherboard right now as most of the reviews online seem to be from around March/April. I'm in Australia, with a budget of about $1000-$1100 AUD, not including the graphics card (which I already have). I'd also prefer something higher end in regards to any recommendations or changes to my list goons might have (doesn't have to be poo poo-hot top-shelf overclocking-designed parts, just decent stock specs are fine), as I plan to burn more money down the road with a VR headset.

My current parts list is as follows;

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard Unsure, currently looking at maybe either a Asus PRIME X370 Pro, or a Gigabyte GA AX-370 Gaming 5.
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition (I already have this).
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200

Any reason you're taking the 1700x over the base model? With an OC they basically end up at the same place. Also means you can drop the cooler unless you really want to push the chip as hard as possible. The Asus board is pretty good as well. Which then raises the question is there anything on the x370 board that you couldn't get on a b350? Because that's another bit of change you can save.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Any reason you're taking the 1700x over the base model? With an OC they basically end up at the same place. Also means you can drop the cooler unless you really want to push the chip as hard as possible. The Asus board is pretty good as well. Which then raises the question is there anything on the x370 board that you couldn't get on a b350? Because that's another bit of change you can save.

The heavy-duty cooler is a necessity, because I'm in Australia. It'll be worth the excess output come Spring/Summer. The 1700x over the base model is just for the higher base values, I've never really dabbled in overclocking. I'm looking at the x370's because I'd like to actually have something with room for expansion for once. Most of my mobos in the past have been the middle-tier micro-ATX's, and for once I'd like to spend a little extra for something top-end that'll last ages. I'll admit I'll probably never want/need to stick a second SLI'd GTX-1080 in the thing, but I'd still like being able to have options along with the extra USB ports.

For comparison, my current setup is an AMD Phenom II x6 1090t running in a Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 motherboard. The graphics card is a Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce. Incidentally, the motherboard's pretty loving rubbish if you want a decent graphics card in the thing - it'll overhang the SATA slots.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with low noise mid tower cases? I got a Rosewill currently, and while it was super nice that it came with 3 fans(This one.), it's also super loud compared to my last computer which was relatively quiet outside of initial startup causing fans to 100% for a few seconds. And the case fans are starting to click loudly and require percussive maintenance to stop the noise now.

For my next computer (that I don't plan to actually build until the new nvidia cards come out) I'd like to focus on keeping the sound down. Any suggestions on case, fan manufacturers or types? I can't tell if I'm running my fans too hard or not, I usually leave everything default cause I have a habit of causing problems when I try to mess with hardware/software settings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broose posted:

Does anyone have any experience with low noise mid tower cases? I got a Rosewill currently, and while it was super nice that it came with 3 fans(This one.), it's also super loud compared to my last computer which was relatively quiet outside of initial startup causing fans to 100% for a few seconds. And the case fans are starting to click loudly and require percussive maintenance to stop the noise now.

For my next computer (that I don't plan to actually build until the new nvidia cards come out) I'd like to focus on keeping the sound down. Any suggestions on case, fan manufacturers or types? I can't tell if I'm running my fans too hard or not, I usually leave everything default cause I have a habit of causing problems when I try to mess with hardware/software settings.

You can't go wrong with a Fractal Design case. I've been using their Define R5 case for years and been nothing but happy with it. Plenty of drive bays, cable ties, and the back of the motherboard is exposed behind the CPU to help with changing/installing the cooler. There's also plenty of spaces to stick fans in as well if you need to push more air through it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hi there, for a typical desktop build, what tools should I get?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

khwarezm posted:

Hi there, for a typical desktop build, what tools should I get?

You can get pc tool sets which have a variety of screwdrivers, pliers, tweezers and the like. Something like this, but perhaps a more pared down version https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Hama-00041528-PC-Tool-Kit-Professional/B00005V39V

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PJ3IYE/ should handle every screw you'll ever come across building a PC (and then some)

E: and if you need more than a screwdriver and some zip ties you're probably doing something wrong or fairly advanced

E2: Might as well also ask: Would that Define R5 work OK with a radiator like the Corsair H90?

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 10, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hey guys! I just bought a new SSD and realized that I don't have the two cords I need to hook it up, the one to connect it to my motherboard and the one to connect it to my PSU. I'm assuming the motherboard one should be pretty easy to get, but do PSUs generally have standardized cords? I know I had extras but I've moved four times in the last two years so I'm not sure where they ended up. If I can just go to microcenter and buy a new one, that would be the easiest solution.

Funxion
Nov 30, 2005

This man talks to empty chairs at conventions. Please help this man back to being an idol. Fight Alzheimers!

A Bag of Milk posted:

New and seemingly way better Intel chips will be released in less than 2 weeks. I highly advise waiting for the 8600k or 8700k. Mixing and matching different manufacturers makes no difference either. Your monitor setup with adapters should work fine as well. At least I've never had problems mixing and matching hdmi and dp for multiple monitor situations.

That advice was repeated by the guys I am ordering from, so I'll wait. They have no price indication yet for them so maybe that will be a thing. Leaves me more time to work on an improved desk setup!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

E2: Might as well also ask: Would that Define R5 work OK with a radiator like the Corsair H90?

Easily. Plenty of radiator/fan support, both front and top and I think maybe bottom too?

It's worth checking out the Fractal Design cases for yourself - the R5 was the right fit for me because I wanted an optical drive, but if you don't need one you might be better served by the Define S, the Define C, or even the new Meshify.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Overminty posted:

You can get pc tool sets which have a variety of screwdrivers, pliers, tweezers and the like. Something like this, but perhaps a more pared down version https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Hama-00041528-PC-Tool-Kit-Professional/B00005V39V

Do you think this would do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001NYK66/ref=pd_sbs_107_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5NRHBASN7SQBJCS5E0N4

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Because the PC market has been disrupted so heavily by AMD, both on the CPU and GPU front, I was hoping some goons could fill me in on what the current Conventional Wisdom™ is regarding a few things:

I'm under the impression that Intel CPUs are still the way to go for gaming, right? My new PC will be gaming + software dev and some graphics work. AMD is pretty appealing, but a quad-core Intel should still do better for gaming, correct? If the difference isn't huge, I'll throw my money at AMD, because Ryzen sounds pretty awesome otherwise and seems like a better deal.

Also, AMD kinda poo poo the bed on graphics cards when those recently got revealed, as far as I could tell. Performance that doesn't quite match this gen of Nvidia, but for the same price or more? Unless there's something I'm missing, that looks like a hard pass to me.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I think it's time for me to replace my 3570k that I've had for 5 years. I'm torn waiting for the 8700k or going for the ryzen 1700 due to intel being kind of lovely to the customers.. Currently I've got an overclock of 4.7ghz with a nh-d15 for cooling and 8gb 1333mhz ram. I'll probably continue using the same cooler and upgrade to 16gb 3200mhz ram. This system will be mainly used for gaming at 1440p and some light video editing. Would I notice any real difference between the two processors?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

androo posted:

Because the PC market has been disrupted so heavily by AMD, both on the CPU and GPU front, I was hoping some goons could fill me in on what the current Conventional Wisdom™ is regarding a few things:

I'm under the impression that Intel CPUs are still the way to go for gaming, right? My new PC will be gaming + software dev and some graphics work. AMD is pretty appealing, but a quad-core Intel should still do better for gaming, correct? If the difference isn't huge, I'll throw my money at AMD, because Ryzen sounds pretty awesome otherwise and seems like a better deal.

Also, AMD kinda poo poo the bed on graphics cards when those recently got revealed, as far as I could tell. Performance that doesn't quite match this gen of Nvidia, but for the same price or more? Unless there's something I'm missing, that looks like a hard pass to me.

Probably best to wait a couple of weeks and see what intel's new line is like.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

stump collector posted:

Probably best to wait a couple of weeks and see what intel's new line is like.

Not a bad idea. I was under impression the current line would have better sales around this time in the cycle.

Also, what has happened with RAM in the last 5 years? Has RAM improved in any meaningful way recently? Or did it just get more expensive?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

androo posted:

Not a bad idea. I was under impression the current line would have better sales around this time in the cycle.

Also, what has happened with RAM in the last 5 years? Has RAM improved in any meaningful way recently? Or did it just get more expensive?
the i7-7700k is about to be replaced by a loving i3 though time will tell if the 4core i3 will have i3 prices

there was a shortage of supply for a couple months because hynix hosed up an entire warehouse of wafers, then there was extreme demand for it and people still bought it by the palletful even at the slightly inflated prices so that's what they're being sold at now

it's also worth noting that the ultracheap 2014-2015 ram prices were actually much lower than average

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So... my motherboard died. The PC was having issues and finally went to sleep and didn't wake up. I had originally built the machine in 2011 and have over the years replaced the hard drive with an SSD and a new gpu. The motherboard, ram, proc and psu were all 5+ years old. After fighting with the thing after it died I finally caved and had it checked out by a professional who confirmed the board was dead.

The problem is that the board was so old that a new board won't interface with my old proc and ram. So I'm looking at a new motherboard, CPU, ram, and psu. The thing is that I don't actually need a lot of processing power. I play Diablo III and Doom, and dark souls 3. So I don't need the best of the best. I've been shopping for stuff on Newegg but can anyone get me a recommendation for those items? It would be nice to keep the cost under 550 if possible.

Edit: is that budget realistic?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

areyoucontagious posted:

So... my motherboard died. The PC was having issues and finally went to sleep and didn't wake up. I had originally built the machine in 2011 and have over the years replaced the hard drive with an SSD and a new gpu. The motherboard, ram, proc and psu were all 5+ years old. After fighting with the thing after it died I finally caved and had it checked out by a professional who confirmed the board was dead.

The problem is that the board was so old that a new board won't interface with my old proc and ram. So I'm looking at a new motherboard, CPU, ram, and psu. The thing is that I don't actually need a lot of processing power. I play Diablo III and Doom, and dark souls 3. So I don't need the best of the best. I've been shopping for stuff on Newegg but can anyone get me a recommendation for those items? It would be nice to keep the cost under 550 if possible.

Edit: is that budget realistic?

If you can wait 2-3 weeks you might be able to snag a base-model Z370 board (figure ~$120-150), an 8350K 4C/8T (~$200, supposedly), a Hyper 212 EVO or Cyrorig H7 (~$30-50) and a 2x8GB DDR4-3000 kit (~$150). Not only will the Z370 board give you the ability to upgrade to a 6C/12T over the next three years or so, it'll be a comfortable platform for the next five years if you really don't stress your machine all that much.

And it just dawned on me that you need a new PSU as well. Figure $80-90 for an 80PLUS Gold Corsair or EVGA PSU. If you live near a Micro Center, you could take advantage of their $30 CPU/Mobo bundle discount.

Failing that, you can go with a Ryzen 3 (~$110-130, quad core, no hyperthreading) or Ryzen 5 1400 (4C/8T, ~$170), B350 motherboard (~$70-120), DDR4-3000 (~$150 - Ryzen likes fast - and board-certified RAM), and a new PSU (~$80-90) and still be comfortably under $500. And Ryzen stuff is available now instead of 2-3 weeks from now - again, supposedly. No one really knows quite yet what upgrades first-gen Ryzen will get, but AMD historically likes to give their sockets long lives, but first-gen Ryzen is an old-style pin-out chip, and the future is definitely LGA like the Intel chips, so ~who knows~.

TL;DR: No, your budget isn't unrealistic.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 11, 2017

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Awesome, this is great. The guy at the electronics store (Fry's) had suggested an I5 Intel based board/cpu build and 16 gigs of ram and a bunch if other expensive poo poo and it was very frustrating. He kept insisting that the current AMD builds were super unstable but the AMD phenom I bought originally served me very well. Is he right about the stuff currently on the market?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

areyoucontagious posted:

Awesome, this is great. The guy at the electronics store (Fry's) had suggested an I5 Intel based board/cpu build and 16 gigs of ram and a bunch if other expensive poo poo and it was very frustrating. He kept insisting that the current AMD builds were super unstable but the AMD phenom I bought originally served me very well. Is he right about the stuff currently on the market?

Ryzen's worked out a lot of the initial bugs. In the first three months no one in here could realistically recommend it, but they've since corrected quite a bit of them, and at least until the 8350K, they're the undisputed rulers of the sub-$200 'getting your money's worth' segment of CPUs. The only caveat really with Ryzen is that it really likes higher-speed DDR4 (always look up a board's QVL sheet to see which RAM is recommended - don't just go with the cheapest) to get the most out of the chip, and all DDR4 is at a premium right now due to DRAM shortages that the manufacturers aren't in any real hurry to rectify or solve.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

areyoucontagious posted:

Nope, Fry Guy is talking bullshit. The Ryzen CPU's have taken everyone by surprise by actually being good by all accounts. The only real argument against them is the Intel processors tend to be a little faster with individual cores, if you squint real hard at certain tests and ignore that it's a quad core vs an eight/12-core processor. Considering the relative pricing for what you get, they're well worth considering, nevermind that the AM4 socket will probably be around longer than Intel's 2066 socket.

As for my own PC, I think I'm gonna go with the ASUS - PRIME X370-PRO for my motherboard. Are there any gotchas to be aware of like with Gigabyte's still-unresolved soft-brick issue? I'm also changing the RAM to G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) PC4-25600 (3200MHz) DDR4 just because it's $10AUD cheaper than the Corsair Vengeance.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
My 2500K has served well and it's time to retire it within the next 6 months. Tentatively looking at Ryzen build to replace it. Ordering from mindfactory.de most likely.

Usage is mostly work. I could use multiple cores as work currently involves regularly compiling Android builds. A decent amount of memory and fast disk is also very beneficial. Since this'll be on at my home for 24/7 noise is a great concern. I'm almost certainly not going to overclock. Budget is as big as it needs to be but I would prefer it to be around $1000.

Tentatively I've considered Ryzen 1800X with water cooling, 32GB DDR4 and 500-1000GB m.2 drive. Can recycle case, PSU (4 months old) and older SSDs.

A few questions.

The price difference between 1700 and 1800X is about €150. Is it worth it?

Is there a list of reliable combination of parts? I'm pretty worried the new mobos will still have stability and other problems, and I really can't fight with them while under pressure from work.

Does it make a difference whether I get 2x 500GB m.2 drives or one 1000GB, speedwise? I'd be putting source repos, OS and Virtualbox or similar on these. Shaving minutes off the build time makes a considerable difference in the long run. If m.2 drive doesn't make a difference at all, I'll just drop it from the build.

I also play some games irregularly. I would think this is enough for that purpose, but lemme know if there's something odd that doesn't work with a MSI GTX 1060.

This is still the most useful single thread anywhere on the Internet. Thanks for your time!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What's the typical 'good' stock speed for DDR4 RAM? I assumed it was 3200MHz based on what's available, but digging into reviews it looks like some of the AM4 mobo's don't like it?

edit: Also does anyone have any thoughts on MSI's AM4 mobo's? Looking at MSI's X370-SLI Plus, specifically.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 11, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know of a cheap USB audio dongle that can do both stereo out and stereo in? All the $7 adapters I'm finding on Amazon only do a mono Microphone in but I'm looking for more of a line-in, and I have to keep the cost low as I'm buying dozens of them.
I used an awesome Turtle Beach one something like fifteen years ago so they should have one; I'd try to find one for you on their website, but it's an absolute mess so I'm going to have to put you through that task.

Searching for "sound card" might return better results.

E: "Audio Advantage" is their term for this kind of stuff, I think; used to be when I bought one, too.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 11, 2017

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Thinking of taking advantage of Microcenter's $30 off promotion on a Ryzen + Mobo offer.

Which motherboard would you guys suggest in this list of motherboards:

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=pricelow&N=4294966996+4294963348+4294845156+4294963446&myStore=true

I'm thinking of the Gigabyte AB350 or ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS

Not sure what the more expensive boards give you though.

I think memory compatability, especially for higher clocked memory, would be most important, along with stability/bios updates... and i guess overclocking.

This would be for gaming.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You could see if any of them are in Anandtech's list of best motherboards of 2017 or close relatives at least.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Fister posted:

Thinking of taking advantage of Microcenter's $30 off promotion on a Ryzen + Mobo offer.

Which motherboard would you guys suggest in this list of motherboards:

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=pricelow&N=4294966996+4294963348+4294845156+4294963446&myStore=true

I'm thinking of the Gigabyte AB350 or ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS

Not sure what the more expensive boards give you though.

I think memory compatability, especially for higher clocked memory, would be most important, along with stability/bios updates... and i guess overclocking.

This would be for gaming.

ASRock tends to have all the features and ports of boards that are ~$30 more from competitors, they're the go-to for value. As far as reliability, go see how many boards that your Microsoft stocks as open-box returns. I've been going there for years and Gigabyte always has more returned then the others for whatever reason.

If you wanna roll the dice, sometimes the open-box motherboards are fine, and they'll be 25% lower priced than new, in addition to the deal still applying to them. Just open the box and make sure there's no bent pins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I;ve got an i5-4590 and the stock cooler seems to be dying. Cleaned out case etc. but it's very loud under load. What should I be looking into getting that's not mondo expensive?