Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Geoff Zahn posted:

Asked in the mini painting thread, but after seeing some of the new paint jobs on the new models I'm tweaking my Death Guard color scheme before I finalize it. Basically trying to do an "faded/rotted" version of secondary colors - olive pauldrons & parts of backpacks, ochre fungal growths, fuchisa cloth & tentacles, and greyish - washed skin (Going to follow Duncan's method for painting poxwalker flesh from now on) . Did a quick color change in photoshop so it doesn't quite match with the color I will use (screamer pink), but how does the guy on the right look with the fuchsia? Would it work in this color scheme for all cloth, like the bib on the Blightbringer and the hood on the Plaguecaster?

Edit: also, I'm going to darken the brass so it boosts the contrast up a bit more between it, ochre, and rusty parts.

Alternatively I could go with the scheme on the guy on the left, but I think I like the pre-heresy style of colors better overall.

Isn't the left one pre-heresy?

I tried fuchsia for the cloth and straps but I found it was too close to the poxwalker skin tone to contrast well, so I switched the fabric parts to a denim-ish blue to teal mix and some brown (to tie in with the marines again) on the poxwalkers and switched to red for the capes and cloth on the marines.

You can see that the poxwalker still stands out a bit due to the lack of green (which I'd probably swap the blue material too if i could be bothered at this stage) but they look ok when grouped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

richyp posted:

I tried fuchsia for the cloth and straps but I found it was too close to the poxwalker skin tone to contrast well, so I switched the fabric parts to a denim-ish blue to teal mix and some brown (to tie in with the marines again) on the poxwalkers and switched to red for the capes and cloth on the marines.

You can see that the poxwalker still stands out a bit due to the lack of green (which I'd probably swap the blue material too if i could be bothered at this stage) but they look ok when grouped up.

:eyepop: those are some amazing Death Guard! What did you do to get that rust color?

I should finish the skin tone and compare that with the fuchsia to see how it looks in person. Just wasn't sure what would stand out or look good against the other colors - originally thought of maybe using yellow, but I think I'm going to save that for eyes and the drone's lens.

As far as the pre-heresy scheme goes, I just looked it up and it seems to be both. I guess I could save the brass trim version for characters and do basic marines with green trim.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Richyp I haven't taken the time to compliment your Death Guard, they look awesome.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JoshTheStampede posted:

This sounds like mostly my playstyle, maybe with a few dreadnoughts sprinkled in somewhere. Do you generally run assault termies or shooty ones?

Shooty. That way I get at least the turn they Deep Strike worth of fire from 'em no matter what. I miss the Storm Shields, certainly, but Power Fists are nearly as good as Thunder Hammers on melee offense. Also, since I always run a Cyclone as the Heavy Weapon, I get another couple of Missile Launcher shots off as part of my anti-tank barrage. Twenty Bolter shots and either two Frag or two Krak missiles is no joke, especially if you picked your target wisely.

Points allowing, I also often throw in a Terminator Librarian with Force Axe and Storm Shield to lead 'em.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

OH god no. 2 ravens died turn one, another died the next turn and bobby g got overrun by flayed ones and didn't stand up. I didn't have the anti infantry to clear them once the ravens were dead and they picked up my earth shakers. All I had left was Celestine hiding behind LOS blocking away from all of his infantry at the end of the game.

I wouldn't worry a ton about them except that he is coming with to Flying Monkey and I'm going to bump into him, because that's what happens. I'm looking to diversify hard into infantry. I think I'm going to try the banner thing tomorrow and see how it goes.

terrible :glomp:

I don't hate it except the tac marines. They should probably just be scouts if you are trying to sneak in obsec/pure faction. And without bobby G you need lascannons or something to crack open big vehicles/forts.

Lol I totally forgot there's tac Terminators in there too. I thought it seemed short when I wrote it out.

I know you hate the Tacs but honestly they've done work in both games I've used them. I definitely hear the las preds thing, although all three of mine are AC/Las. And I need to repair them, gently caress

E: could swap termies, devs and LRC for 3x ac/las preds and have about 30pts to spare somewhere. Might swing the pendulum too far the other way though

Living Image fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 10, 2017

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Geoff Zahn posted:

:eyepop: those are some amazing Death Guard! What did you do to get that rust color?

I should finish the skin tone and compare that with the fuchsia to see how it looks in person. Just wasn't sure what would stand out or look good against the other colors - originally thought of maybe using yellow, but I think I'm going to save that for eyes and the drone's lens.

If you go pale with the pox walker skin it might work, I'd already done the skin in a darker redder tone before hitting the cloth and it was too close colour-wise, pale whitish skin might work well.

The rust effect is just, Leadbelcher->Drakenhoff Nightshade wash->Highlight Runefang then get a crappy broken brush and stab everywhere with various Mournfang Brown (I skipped this on some for variation and did just orange) & Troll Slayer Orange, most of which is wiped off beforehand like a drybrush. Stippling a silver over the top can add too the effect too, and on the sharp edges of blades where the rust wouldn't gather.

Uroboros posted:

Richyp I haven't taken the time to compliment your Death Guard, they look awesome.

Aww thanks. They're way more interesting to paint than the Sigmar guys I'm trying to get out of the way (the Blood dudes are cool though).

Also Monty looks bad rear end I can't wait to paint him up.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

muggins posted:

I wonder how much of the overdesigned garbage aesthetic is there to try to combat recasters

If that's the plan, it ain't working. Every recaster has these models ready to go the week of release. GW still has to be able to fit them on a sprue and mold them, and if they have to do that, they can be recast. I think it's just the company aesthetic of wanting to have a display-quality piece rather than a pawn in an glorified tabletop game. I don't mind all the baubles on a special character, but they really don't have a place on rank and file.

Also, the "floating model" look is really tiresome. I'd love to have a Mortarion that was actually standing on the ground.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Ready to bugswat

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Your dreadnought appears to be dabbing. I suggest bringing up that he should be a better example to his little brothers.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Booley posted:

Things I bought 1 of and will not buy another: BA tactical squads. Way too much bling. The sanguinary guard and death company are pretty bad for being over-detailed too. Really enjoying painting up primaris, even the characters don't have too much random poo poo.

I thought the BA Tactical Squad was great, just as long as you don't use it to make a Tac Squad. Buy one box and you've got all you need to customise a Captain, his Command Squad and a couple of Veteran Sergeants for your actual Tactical Squads.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

richyp posted:

Im glad you are still around and painting cool minis

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
also what have I missed

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Whole lot of wrong opinions about Blood Angels in here. One of the core ideas of their fluff is that they are a chapter of artisans, many of whom work to make their armor and weapons particularly ornate and beautiful in an effort to control the Red Thirst. If you aren't ok with detailed miniatures then they are not the right chapter for you to play and there's really not any getting around that fact.

The tac marine kit in particular is one of my favorites in the range specifically because almost all of the bits reflect the craftsmanship that the Blood Angels put into their wargear without being completely overwhelming. Vanilla marine infantry kits end up feeling very bland in comparison.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

also what have I missed

like a thousand pages of bad posts

Also 8th edition is pretty great

There are a bunch of primarchs running around now, which is neat

GW actually has a good community program now, which is cool

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

There are a bunch of primarchs running around now, which is neat

Are they all as derpy as Guilliman?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

Are they all as derpy as Guilliman?

I mean, you'd already seen Magnus, who is dope and has beautiful, curved nipples

Mortarion seems like he may be really cool with a good paint job and if you cut off his weird halo censer, but I wouldn't say he looks 'derpy'

Also by "a bunch" I mean 3 but really that's a shitload more than we had 18 months ago

e: Also the new big marines came out and they look rad

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

serious gaylord posted:

Im glad you are still around and painting cool minis

I'm a recent returnee. Can we get the old thread gang back together :downsrim:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

richyp posted:

These look great, by the way! What green did you use for the primary armor? I'm looking at painting up my death guard soon (eventually), and I don't think DG Green is a great color for them.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
What are our chances of getting an actual vanilla chaos marine new kit soon?

Also, is the current chaos marine kit and a regular marine kit roughly compatible?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
No new non-Death Guard or Thousand Sons for a little while, and we might not get any new TS dudes either.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Agentdark posted:

Also, is the current chaos marine kit and a regular marine kit roughly compatible?

1. Lowwwww.

2. Noooooo. Or well, kinda? Like, they have roughly the same parts, but CSM have a kinda weird squatting thing going on.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

richyp posted:

I'm a recent returnee. Can we get the old thread gang back together :downsrim:

I cant paint anymore so probably not.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
You can fill the painting deficit with shitposts

(Welcome back)

E: you can start by giving Mortarion a square base

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

1. Lowwwww.

2. Noooooo. Or well, kinda? Like, they have roughly the same parts, but CSM have a kinda weird squatting thing going on.

Wired. So in theory if I wanted to not have squatting marines I could use loyalist legs?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Agentdark posted:

We desperately need Chaos Bigmars now to match SMs and to match the new scale of TSons and Death Guard, but probably not for a long time because

The current chaos marine kit is equivalent to the space marine kit of like 3 or 4 generations ago, lol. SMs keep getting updates and CSMs they just don't seem to care.

That said you could probably manage it pretty easily with some greenstuff and maybe some creative x-acto knifing

Agentdark posted:

Wired. So in theory if I wanted to not have squatting marines I could use loyalist legs?

Should be okay but then the legs may look kinda funny, but you could always present your dudes as veterans of the long war or some poo poo.

Worst case you have to greenstuff it but it should work okay to toss torsos on legs? I dunno maybe I shouldn't assume...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
When I played chaos I just used loyalist parts and chaos shoulder pads, mostly.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

adamantium|wang posted:

You can fill the painting deficit with shitposts

(Welcome back)

E: you can start by giving Mortarion a square base

Square base supremacy.

EDIT: Never not shitpost.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I only come back for ADB book releases and his next black legion one is out on sat.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Agentdark posted:

Unfortunately, as has been said, the chances of a new standard chaos marine kit is very low. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's just how it is.

However, the existing kit is 100% compatible with all marine parts, GW and FW. It is possible to kitbash some pretty legit models as there is a huge range to choose from. The plastic raptors can also be a good source of more modern chaos bits.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

serious gaylord posted:

I cant paint anymore so probably not.
"can't" ...? :ohdear:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ilor posted:

"can't" ...? :ohdear:

Nothing dramatic I literally have just not picked up a brush in years and I tried to work on a model tank the other week and my hands have just lost the muscle memory.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Unfortunately, as has been said, the chances of a new standard chaos marine kit is very low. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's just how it is.

However, the existing kit is 100% compatible with all marine parts, GW and FW. It is possible to kitbash some pretty legit models as there is a huge range to choose from. The plastic raptors can also be a good source of more modern chaos bits.

That makes sense. I want to do Night Lords so I am at least doing 3 10 Raptor Squads anyway. So a few Raptor Boxes, a Chaos Marine Box and a few loyalist marine boxes with Night Lords upgrade sprues should probably be workable.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

I only come back for ADB book releases and his next black legion one is out on sat.

I already preordered it. Also it caused me to start on this guy, who will be one of at least three in a series.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Liquid Communism posted:

So just curious. I was looking to put together a Primaris force around 50 PL / 1k points to tool around for some small games while I wait for the Ork codex. Does this look completely unfun to anyone? It's doable out of the DI set and the box of Reivers I have on my paint table already, so all I'd have to scrounge up is five more bodies for the Intercessors.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [50 PL, 996pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Salamanders

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 137pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

Primaris Lieutenants [10 PL, 148pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle
. Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Combat knife, Grav Chutes, 4x Reiver, Reiver Sergeant

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Combat knife, Grav Chutes, 4x Reiver, Reiver Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 211pts]: Heavy Plasma Incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [50 PL, 996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I took almost exactly this army on Tuesday (drop one lieutenant, add one intercessor squad, give one squad of skull boys bull pup bolters).

Beat Dark Eldar, with my skull boys killing a close combat Archon. DE infantry, even Wyches, got pummelled by biglys, though the Succubus plus wyches did kill one of my 5 man squads. Basically his army were in Raiders and Venoms, and while he was in combat on turn 2 and my plasma biglys got all his anti tank fire, his combat troops just bounced, and biglys in cover just bounced all the splinter rifle fire.

Biglys aren't top tier, I think Orks, Nids, Space Marines are safely in that slot, but they are tough as hell.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

serious gaylord posted:

Nothing dramatic I literally have just not picked up a brush in years and I tried to work on a model tank the other week and my hands have just lost the muscle memory.

You need to ingest more paint. After a few brush to mouth scenarios it comes flooding back. The Nurgle stuff I posted earlier were the first things I painted in ages after a few courses of paint it came flooding back.

TheChirurgeon posted:

These look great, by the way! What green did you use for the primary armor? I'm looking at painting up my death guard soon (eventually), and I don't think DG Green is a great color for them.

The base was DG green spray :) but its heavily highlighted through to Nurgling Green then Ushabti Bone.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Agentdark posted:

That makes sense. I want to do Night Lords so I am at least doing 3 10 Raptor Squads anyway. So a few Raptor Boxes, a Chaos Marine Box and a few loyalist marine boxes with Night Lords upgrade sprues should probably be workable.

As someone else who is starting Chaos, I highly recommend getting a box of Possessed. Its a giant box of cool bits to make your marines feel a bit more chaos-y. Also it comes with two sets of Plastic Wings which could be good for a flying Lord or something.

I started with the Death Guard, a Start Collecting Box, and the Possessed box and I'm really happy with how unique my army is looking compared to Marine armies I've had in the past. Really made them nurgle up nicely.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

richyp posted:

You need to ingest more paint. After a few brush to mouth scenarios it comes flooding back. The Nurgle stuff I posted earlier were the first things I painted in ages after a few courses of paint it came flooding back.

The sad fact is painting just doesnt excite me anymore.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

You can read Black Legion on iBooks right now. I didn't care for it personally.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I found that the IG grenade launcher works really well as an auxiliary launcher for Primaris Marines. Since it's free and Sergeants can get power swords my planned go-to Intercessor squad will be 104 points with the Sergeant carrying both the sword and launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I found that the IG grenade launcher works really well as an auxiliary launcher for Primaris Marines. Since it's free and Sergeants can get power swords my planned go-to Intercessor squad will be 104 points with the Sergeant carrying both the sword and launcher.

They cost 1 pt as of the errata.