Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Trig Discipline posted:

Okay so Guy Goodbody suggested I post this here. I'll be doing a big post about it in GBS soon, but it seems very specifically relevant to your collective interests so I figured I'd give you a sneak peak.

Here's the thing though: I'm hoping this doesn't escape from the forums into the world at large until it's a little more done, so do try to keep it within SA for now.

I've been chopping up Dan Carlin podcasts and reassembling them into a different story. Currently it's called Hardcore Prophecy: The Trump of Doom. Some of you may remember a project like this called Son of Strelka that I did a few years back with Obama's autobiography. This one is much more dark, violent, and flat-out nasty. It's an alternate history story in which Donald Trump declares himself to be the new Messiah and becomes prophet-king of the USA. The results are, of course, mandatory congressional orgies in public, nationwide cannibalism along party lines, and good old fashioned nukes. Here's a quick video showing how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTSFDMfEjqQ

And here's a quick preview of poo poo getting crazy from a few months ago (it's changed a bit now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axR8dB2pjow

Chapters are getting finished out of order, unfortunately, but if you don't mind that you can find some of them on my soundcloud. Or you can subscribe to the soundcloud as a podcast here.

This is such an amazing and hilarious idea. Thank you for doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is some good poo poo dude, nice work

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks y'all!

twoday posted:

I love your music and I love this.

Do episodes 5-7 exist?

The text is mostly done, but they haven't been posted yet because I haven't done the music. Ditto for chapter 9. Working on that on a daily basis right now, so I expect they'll be coming out soonish!

e: Oh, what's on the soundcloud as chapter 4 is actually now part of the new Chapter 3, which I haven't uploaded yet. The new chapter 4 is nearing completion, I'm working on it right now.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

twoday posted:

I love your music and I love this.

Do episodes 5-7 exist?

This reminded me, a while ago I recorded several letters from the 1673 invasion of New York by the Dutch, set to ominous banjo music.

I didn't know 'ominous banjo music' was a thing until now.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Thanks y'all!

The text is mostly done, but they haven't been posted yet because I haven't done the music. Ditto for chapter 9. Working on that on a daily basis right now, so I expect they'll be coming out soonish!

e: Oh, what's on the soundcloud as chapter 4 is actually now part of the new Chapter 3, which I haven't uploaded yet. The new chapter 4 is nearing completion, I'm working on it right now.

I laughed so hard at "which was um, you know, upsetting" that I scared my cat. This is magical.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else listen to the new season of Revisionist History?

The overall theme is race and power relationships in the 50s era South. I've found it really insightful.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

head58 posted:

I laughed so hard at "which was um, you know, upsetting" that I scared my cat. This is magical.

Yeah there are parts where Dan Carlin's super-serious delivery is just magical for this sort of thing. My favorite part (which isn't in a bit that I've made public yet) is him saying very, very earnestly "eating other people...that's un-American".

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok dude what's this other stuff you've done I need to hear it. The Dan Carlin poo poo rules.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! The only other one like this is Son of Strelka, Son of God. If you just want to listen to it, you can go here:

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Dan_Warren/Son_of_Strelka_Son_of_God

If you want to see the related Youtubes, the easiest place is here:

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/son-strelka-obama/1/

I'm going to post a thread in GBS asking people to contribute art for the Dan Carlin thing, so if you or any of your friends can draw, paint, etc. please do check that out and contribute! Thread will be posted some time within the next 48 hours under my old account name. :ssh:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay, the GBS thread is live now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829266

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

good luck, though i wouldn't expect much from gbs

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've always had pretty good luck putting my music stuff in GBS, but I have to admit that I'm a bit skeptical about asking other people to put in that much effort given the notorious futility of goon projects.

Maybe I'll illustrate it using stick figures in Powerpoint if nothing else comes of it.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 6, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
maybe ask C-SPAM as well, they might be up to some doodling

E: I checked the RSS feed and there's a bunch of old music and audio files still in there. I don't think any of them are bad but if you're worried about real life bleed stuff it could be a problem.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 6, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hazborgufen posted:

Are there any good podcasts about the Soviet Union? I'm talking everything from early revolution to the Cold War, to politics between the various Eastern Bloc countries. Especially interesting would be anything that helps to picture life behind the Iron Curtain - culture, underground groups, contact with the West, scientists, etc.

And on a related note, is there a podcast for the history of the Balkans? Beyond just the Cold War, I'm curious about ancient history up through current day with a focus on the wars after the fall of the USSR.

I tried The History of the Cold War, but it was so painful to listen to that I just gave up.

Surely the Eastern Border podcast is good for that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rumble in the bunghole posted:

maybe ask C-SPAM as well, they might be up to some doodling

E: I checked the RSS feed and there's a bunch of old music and audio files still in there. I don't think any of them are bad but if you're worried about real life bleed stuff it could be a problem.

Yeah it's all going onto my podcast and has been for a while. Half of the forums has known my real name for a decade or more now, I'm not worried about it. Thanks though!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Son of Strelka enters the realm of art.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I keep forgetting to switch to my other account before posting in that thread, with the end result that I keep having to ninja edit posts so that appear to be trolling myself. :-/

In my defense, I am a huge dumbass.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Thwomp posted:

The overall theme is race and power relationships in the 50s era South. I've found it really insightful.

Yeah I've been listening and really enjoyed it. Though ironically, I actually thought the episode about country music from a few weeks back was probably the best of the lot. That ending :cry:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

New 6 hour hardcore history is up - Celtic Holocaust.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
"The Celctic Holocaust"

Sounds interesting!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

About an hour in, slow start but pretty good!

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

It's Christmas in August!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hell yeah!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Trig Discipline posted:

Thanks y'all!

The new episode of HH gives some descriptions of ancient executions and sacrifices early on, so that might give you some new material to work with.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Just when I have a long trip around the world. Thank you Mr Carlin and thank you airport WiFi

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

eta of boxing reference?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

as I listen to this all I can think of is mandatory congressional orgies

hurry trig discipline!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Quixotic1 posted:

eta of boxing reference?

This one might not have to many as Dan is usually much better at focused topics.

It's his general ones where he gets stuck in the analogy loop.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Quixotic1 posted:

eta of boxing reference?

3:21:00 was the first one. I had bet the first 15 minutes and was way off. Clint Eastwood came up first, then Darth Vader several times, then finally he got around to boxing.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Thinking back to my post, that was mean spirited of me and added nothing to the conversation. Got a long drive ahead of me this weekend and fate dropped this podcast on my doorstep for me to enjoy it, hopefully everyone who has listened to it so far is enjoying it?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Quixotic1 posted:

Thinking back to my post, that was mean spirited of me and added nothing to the conversation. Got a long drive ahead of me this weekend and fate dropped this podcast on my doorstep for me to enjoy it, hopefully everyone who has listened to it so far is enjoying it?

It's Dan Carlin talking about Romans, it's fun.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Trig Discipline posted:

Thanks y'all!

Better hurry up before reality makes your story seem boring and uninteresting like happened to Veep

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/895840310542168064

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Better hurry up before reality makes your story seem boring and uninteresting like happened to Veep

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/895840310542168064

No joke, that's the main reason I'm spending so much time trying to finish it up right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The new carlin seems real good . About an hour in and he seems especially thoughtful , open minded and well read

For him

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

euphronius posted:

The new carlin seems real good . About an hour in and he seems especially thoughtful , open minded and well read

For him

How well does he stay on topic and how much time is spent repeating whatever thesis he has.

Those are the two worst things he does.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Thwomp posted:

I don't particularly like what I've heard of Revisionist History. Gladwell getting on his soapbox in The Road to Damascus in particular falls flat if you don't think the CIA is inherently good.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CharlestheHammer posted:

How well does he stay on topic and how much time is spent repeating whatever thesis he has.

Those are the two worst things he does.

After spending a good chunk of time on the setup, he really stays on topic very well. I'm not really sure if he has a central thesis, but he mainly focuses on "why does ceaser seem to go out of the way to describe the people he is massacring in such a positive light?" and "what does it mean to fight for freedom when the penalty for fighting and losing is genocide and there is an option for way less harsh alternatives?"
The biggest tangent I can think of is some scatterred thoughts on how hosed the early US would have been if the Native Americans had populations like the gauls

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Does anyone know where I can find episodes 2-52 of There's No Such Thing As a Fish? The site literally makes you buy the physical LP, and I can't find an rss feed that includes them anywhere. There's even a reddit thread somewhere where someone gives out their google drive archive which includes some, but not all of those episodes.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
You can buy 4 albums containing those episodes off iTunes, they're 10 dollars each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/FastChase/status/896273502373724160
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/896875778264190977