Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like, what IS the big news today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Calaveron posted:

Fartz

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Calaveron posted:

The healthcare vote will be repeated, now that it turned out that McCain was replaced by a Russian agent working for Clinton's agenda. The name of that agent? Donald Trump!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

So we already covered this in the thread, but in case anyone's just tuning in, this tweet is a willful misinterpretation of what's actually happening. Ossof is not leading anything, he is one of several panelists, and the panel is about specifically the allocation of progressive resources and effort in 2018, not winning in general. (As the actual image Stein included makes clear.)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quorum posted:

So we already covered this in the thread, but in case anyone's just tuning in, this tweet is a willful misinterpretation of what's actually happening. Ossof is not leading anything, he is one of several panelists, and the panel is about specifically the allocation of progressive resources and effort in 2018, not winning in general. (As the actual image Stein included makes clear.)

also ossoff nearly won a solid red district with record dem turnout so he probably knows a thing or two about turning out dems

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

So is this him trying to rear end pull this as "win" by saying the loss of 700+ jobs is a good thing or was he also seriously this much of a pussy that he needed a foreign entity to fire his diplomats for him?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Crabtree posted:

So is this him trying to rear end pull this as "win" by saying the loss of 700+ jobs is a good thing or was he also seriously this much of a pussy that he needed a foreign entity to fire his diplomats for him?

When given two stupid options regarding Trump, the word "or" isn't usually applicable.

Third answer, probably also true, Trump doesn't even know what diplomats do or why we would want them. He probably didn't know they even existed until Putin declared they were getting tossed out.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

"Oh thank you for making GBS threads on my face Mr. Putin, everything you do is so good, I would have done that anyway if I was only as smart as you Mr. Putin please don't release the piss tape."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Quorum posted:

also, hearing from someone who ran an unsuccessful campaign in a red state is useful as all hell when trying to figure out how to win in 2018

you want to know what they think worked, what they think did not work, lessons learned, etc. like "well, we did X, and in the end i think it's clear that didn't work. i would suggest people not do that in the future. on the other hand, we started doing Y, and that seemed to work: i wish we'd been doing it the entire time"

every special election is essentially a test run for the 2018 election and even if the people involved cocked it up in every conceivable way, looking at their cockups gives you good information you can't get elsewhere

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I mean are they fired? Expelled and fired aren't the same thing.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

also, hearing from someone who ran an unsuccessful campaign in a red state is useful as all hell when trying to figure out how to win in 2018

you want to know what they think worked, what they think did not work, lessons learned, etc. like "well, we did X, and in the end i think it's clear that didn't work. i would suggest people not do that in the future. on the other hand, we started doing Y, and that seemed to work: i wish we'd been doing it the entire time"

The tweet was designed to trigger internet leftists like our friends in the dems are a waste thread. Most, if not all of them fell for it completely and started frothing at the mouth about messaging. It's almost as if a group of people is more interested in outrage politics than anything of actual substance.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

n4 posted:

they're not diplomats, they're embassy staff, and many of them are locals who are just going to get fired not brought back to the united states

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

n4 posted:

Putin said they're expelled.

Trump says thanks for expelling them, it'll save the US a lot of money without them on the payroll anymore... If they're not on the payroll, that means they don't have jobs anymore.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 10, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I see Laura Ingram has mastered the art of TuckFace.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The tweet was designed to trigger internet leftists like our friends in the dems are a waste thread. Most, if not all of them fell for it completely and started frothing at the mouth about messaging. It's almost as if a group of people is more interested in outrage politics than anything of actual substance.

Hey, you know how you came into that thread and ended up agreeing with us after you actually engaged for a little bit and listened to what we had to say?

Why are you now suddenly painting us as some foreign "enemy" that must be mocked/silenced?

quote:

To say that "nothing" good comes from capitalism is a bit oversimplistic. It's in many ways a fascinating and robust system that pairs need to supply with little to no outside meddling needed. However it has two fatal flaws which almost guarantee corruption, exploitation and misery to those living under it:

1) Some things are profitable, but shouldn't be.

2) Some things are necessary, but not profitable to produce.

Healthcare is actually a perfect example of both. Treating the sick is expensive, so there is little motivation to cover them. Meanwhile charging premiums but then denying coverage is exceptionally profitable, which created perverse incentives to screw over patients. The result is the system we have today that gives poor results for an exorbitant cost. And since this is actually the system working as designed capitalists are completely unable to address the problem in a meaningful way (see: the ACA).

As a side note it's also worth noting that most anti-capitalists don't advocate removing markets entirely. What they want is for us to stop placing capitalism on a pedestal and to take certain parts of the economy out of the private markets. In other words they want life to be about more than buying and selling poo poo for maximum profit and for success to be defined as something beyond one's paycheck, which seems like a pretty worthy goal to me.

You:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/895772791206797316

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Robot Hobo posted:

Trump says thanks for expelling them, it'll save the US and lot of money without them on the payroll anymore... If they're not on the payroll, that means they don't have jobs anymore.

Just in case anyone was worried that morale at DoS was ever going to recover, "Thanks for firing our employees and saving us the effort".

farraday fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 10, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Robot Hobo posted:

Trump says thanks for expelling them, it'll save the US and lot of money without them on the payroll anymore... If they're not on the payroll, that means they don't have jobs anymore.

He is such a pussy that he can't even say they're fired. He has to dance around the word in order to avoid saying something that could mean people won't like him.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Is this actually the dude?

Because I'm suspicious about how exactly that photo matches the mental image I had of him.

If someone is going on and on about biotruths and how they are better at X thing than Y group due to their genetics, they are almost 100% of the time compensating.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Why are you now suddenly painting us as some foreign "enemy" that must be mocked/silenced?

im going to go out on a limb and suggest its because of your posting

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Going for an incompetent legal defense defense. That's a bold strategy. Let's see how it works out for him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

evilweasel posted:

im going to go out on a limb and suggest its because of your posting

Heaven forbid people actually engage with arguments and try to understand each other, in this, the Debate and Discussion subforum.

Also, lmao at the hypocrisy of bitching about "outrage politics" in the react to Trump's tweets thread.

E: VVV Well, I tried, I guess.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

WampaLord posted:

Hey, you know how you came into that thread and ended up agreeing with us after you actually engaged for a little bit and listened to what we had to say?

You:

don't dox me bro

But seriously, my agreement with a reasonable post in a thread you also post in does not somehow make me part of your hive mind. 99% of posters in that thread are loving horrible and should feel ashamed of themselves.

EDIT: And my original point was 100% accurate, all of you idiots started frothing at the mouth about john ossoff and his leftist purity. go gently caress yourself like I told you in your thread yesterday.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

don't dox me bro

But seriously, my agreement with a reasonable post in a thread you also post in does not somehow make me part of your hive mind. 99% of posters in that thread are loving horrible and should feel ashamed of themselves.

I mean, considering the overlap in posters between this thread and that thread, is there any doubt as to the terribleness of all involved? :v:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, considering the overlap in posters between this thread and that thread, is there any doubt as to the terribleness of all involved? :v:

We should all feel ashamed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

EDIT: And my original point wa s100% accurate, all of you idiots started frothing at the mouth about john ossoff and his purity. go gently caress yourself like i told you in your thread yesterday.

:cripes:

I'm not your enemy, man. But you so desperately want me to be that it's pointless arguing with you about it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lote posted:

Going for an incompetent legal defense defense. That's a bold strategy. Let's see how it works out for him.

nah, from other stuff it appears he's replacing a lawyer who specializes in congressional investigations with one that specializes in financial crimes, which is a sensible thing to do once the fbi is investigating you for financial crimes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Odds that this translates as "whoops, lied to my lawyer, guilty as fuuuuuuck"?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I'm not your enemy, man. But you so desperately want me to be that it's pointless arguing with you about it.

You are not my enemy, you are an idiot posting on a dead gay comedy forum who i wish would shut the gently caress up about leftists and their purity

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WampaLord posted:

he's not calling you an enemy he's calling you a bad poster

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You are not my enemy, you are an idiot posting on a dead gay comedy forum who i wish would shut the gently caress up about leftists and their purity

Wanting to silence people is never a good look.

I voted for Hillary, by the way.

evilweasel posted:

he's not calling you an enemy he's calling you a bad poster

Well, he's being pretty loving lovely about it, as are you.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress you

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Wanting to silence people is never a good look.

I voted for Hillary, by the way.

Well, he's being pretty loving lovely about it, as are you.

You're insufferably stupid. Add one to the ignore list.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

or, oops current attorney sees no path forward and quietly resigned

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

IM EXTREMELY MAD ABOUT THE 'DEMS ARE BAD' THREAD

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I think wampalord makes BOTH good and terrible posts, depending on day/ topic

Any posts in THAT THREAD are bad by definition tho

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

u alt-lefitsts think ur safe in ur lil hugbox echo chamber hivemind thread

UR WRONG

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I think wampalord makes BOTH good and terrible posts, depending on day/ topic

Hey, thanks, almost like people are nuanced and you usually can't just easily lump them into "good" or "bad"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
hey guys i started playing ultima online again and stopped checking the thread so much because i long for a simpler time

it hasn't really helped my depression about the state of our government but i still like ultima online for some reason so i guess that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

nah this appears to just be recognizing the seriousness of the situation and getting someone with the appropriate specialty

given the press scrutiny he was under, having a lawyer who focused on congressional investigations was good pr, but now the sensible thing to do is to get the correct kind of criminal lawyer once the fbi is waking you up at dawn asking for all your files

• Locked thread