Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Did that Krisztian Nemeth to New England deal actually work out? I can't find any firm sources saying yes, and the deadline closed last night. We all know MLS transfer rules are a huge clusterfuck, though, so maybe it's still possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

bewbies posted:

no loving way

Yup. link to story.

quote:

The Rapids use the Football Manager database – which features roughly 600,000 entries, most of which are player profiles containing 250 attributes each – in two different ways. Often, the club submits direct inquiries to Sports Interactive – the company that develops the game – for information. Other times, Smith will fire up the game and glance at the data himself.

“The number of leagues that are covered, the number of players that are covered, it really gives us a lot of information that can be slightly trickier to come by, and works as a nice starting point,” Smith told Vice Sports’ Brian Blickenstaff.

They go on to say the Rapids would never sign a guy based solely on Football Manager but it's a good start. Based on how terrible the Rapids are they need to figure out a new strategy.

Meanwhile the Rapids got their man. link Rapids get Luis Gil and $100k in TAM in exchange for Powers. Rapids will take over Orlando's $100k TAM payment due to RSL next year for right of first refusal for Gil. Each salary related "budget charge" will stay on the original team's books.

So after all that, they free up money for the last 1/3 of this season and get Gil on trial for 11 games for free. Per the terms of Gil's loan, the Rapids would also send just $50k to RSL if they do not keep him. Well...it's not like the Rapids are going to be worse after this trade. Meanwhile good luck to Powers, he desperately needs a change of scenery to get his career back on track, hope this does it for him.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 10, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So, just as the window closed last night the Whitecaps signed...an Egyptian DM named Aly Ghazal, who played in Portugal's first division until this winter (when a Chinese team bought him and then didn't play him?).

I think the best thing that I can say about this transfer (especially as a TAM signing) is that it's not for Gareth Barry, as one particularly nuts Twitter rumour suggested yesterday. He also plays CB so maybe some extra depth there? I just don't think he plays a position we needed to fill (unless Laba is leaving, but I don't think he's exactly hit Big European Move form in a while.)

oh well we'll see what happens

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Minnesota signed José Leitón from Herediano. He should be decent, but he's one of those players you think is a promising youngster but he's already 24 and still all promise. Hopefully he can finally grow.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Just before the deadline the Sounders nabbed something called Calum Mallace, which is somehow not a semipro wrestler. Based on the amused reaction from Impact fans this news is, uh, not super positive. And, no Derlis Gonzales. Still a strong and deep lineup, but a bit of a disappointment after all that hype.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

Just before the deadline the Sounders nabbed something called Calum Mallace, which is somehow not a semipro wrestler. Based on the amused reaction from Impact fans this news is, uh, not super positive. And, no Derlis Gonzales. Still a strong and deep lineup, but a bit of a disappointment after all that hype.
Maybe he'll end up being an anti-Nelson Valdez, where we expect nothing from him, but he does amazingly well.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

camoseven posted:

Did that Krisztian Nemeth to New England deal actually work out? I can't find any firm sources saying yes, and the deadline closed last night. We all know MLS transfer rules are a huge clusterfuck, though, so maybe it's still possible?

Yea it did: http://nerevs.us/yIbf30ekbnI

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

I kind of miss the old TFC where I'd get a notification on my phone during the transfer window to find out half the team is gone

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire apparently signed Richard Sanchez, a former FC Dallas homegrown and Mexico U-17 goalkeeper, from Tigres. Better than broken-rear end Bava, I suppose.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Yup. link to story.

They go on to say the Rapids would never sign a guy based solely on Football Manager but it's a good start. Based on how terrible the Rapids are they need to figure out a new strategy.

Meanwhile the Rapids got their man. link Rapids get Luis Gil and $100k in TAM in exchange for Powers. Rapids will take over Orlando's $100k TAM payment due to RSL next year for right of first refusal for Gil. Each salary related "budget charge" will stay on the original team's books.

So after all that, they free up money for the last 1/3 of this season and get Gil on trial for 11 games for free. Per the terms of Gil's loan, the Rapids would also send just $50k to RSL if they do not keep him. Well...it's not like the Rapids are going to be worse after this trade. Meanwhile good luck to Powers, he desperately needs a change of scenery to get his career back on track, hope this does it for him.

That explains Gabby Torres so much, he was a loving nightmare in FM yet utter poo poo in MLS, ditto those crappy argentinian D-mids a few seasons ago.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't know why it just dawned on me, but Real Salt Lake has FC Barcelona's colors. THAT'S hosed up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I don't know why it just dawned on me, but Real Salt Lake has FC Barcelona's colors. THAT'S hosed up.

And now you know why we call them Fake Salt Lake

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Eternal failure and bad player Diego Calvo has joined RSL's USL affiliate

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Simone Poodoin posted:

Eternal failure and bad player Diego Calvo has joined RSL's USL affiliate

Please tell me this man is bald

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Unfortunately he isn't, Minessotta defender Francisco Calvo isn't either. Fake news.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

all-Rush mixtape posted:

No it isn't.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Get this: the Rapids had Inter Milan's colors for a season or two.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The point was, the team named after Real Madrid has their rival's colors.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Moktaro posted:

Get this: the Rapids had Inter Milan's colors for a season or two.
I suppose if you want truly unique color schemes we could always go back to the 1996-style uniforms.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Back when RSL was founded the owner claimed the colors were red and blue so as to match the two primary colleges (Utah and BYU) despite neither shade looking anything like the college's.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
ESPN says they're showing an MLS match this Saturday at 4 PM EST. There is no match at that time. Are they trying to flex a game into the time slot, or is there something else going on?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
DC-RSL got rained out yesterday and resumes today.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

whypick1 posted:

DC-RSL got rained out yesterday and resumes today.

And $10 tickets and free parking, which is basically how it should always be.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Good news Rapids goons:

https://twitter.com/ColoradoRapids/status/897555294791839744

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Good news Rapids goons:

I don't know which is more shocking. That they actually fired Pablo, that they fired Pablo before the season ended, that they fired him instead of simply letting his contract expire in two years, or that they're bringing on a guy who has actually coached soccer before as his interim replacement.

All that aside I'll always respect Pablo for his time as a player. He's a club legend for that alone, and 2016 was special even if they came up short. He was just a really terrible coach and should never have been thrown into the big job right after retiring.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 15, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

:toot:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Alright D.C., you're up

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Good news Rapids goons:

Someone on Facebook made a good point. Kronke doesn't fire coaches at his non-NFL teams unless business demands it. The Rapids have had 3.5 years with Pablo, and only 1 year where things worked and that was likely despite his coaching. They've had mostly bad transfer windows, they traded the team captain, and it looked like they were keeping the cheap and safe option at coach. The club also opted all season tickets into an auto-renewal, with the deadline to opt out in 8 days via a specific submitted request and a marketing survey. For the Rapids to make this kind of move now means they must be absolutely taking it in the shorts in the season ticket department.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Howard leaned on management and made his displeasure with the team being poo poo known. He likes winning as much as the next guy, but being stuck on a terrible team after coming home is probably not what he envisioned.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 16, 2017

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tomorrow's Headline: DC United Extends Ben Olsen's Contract by 69 years

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Rapids interim GM Padraig "football manager" Smith and chief business officer Wayne Bryant published an Op-Ed in the Denver Post about their vision for the team.

link

As simply put as possible, they sort of admit they hosed up and they're gonna change things. They said a lot of bold words about strong attractive soccer and signing attack minded, high game intelligence players who aren't overpriced.

They want to be a "perennial playoff contender" and bring another MLS Cup to Commerce City.

Well. Bold words. The fact that KSE had the Rapids management publish something like this is surprising.

Let's see what their actions bring.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Rapids interim GM Padraig "football manager" Smith and chief business officer Wayne Bryant published an Op-Ed in the Denver Post about their vision for the team.

link

As simply put as possible, they sort of admit they hosed up and they're gonna change things. They said a lot of bold words about strong attractive soccer and signing attack minded, high game intelligence players who aren't overpriced.

They want to be a "perennial playoff contender" and bring another MLS Cup to Commerce City.

Well. Bold words. The fact that KSE had the Rapids management publish something like this is surprising.

Your signing Dom Kinnear.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

That's...way too plausible. :cripes:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jack2142 posted:

Hahahahaha

I was going to say Wayne Rooney in two years, but this is so much better

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheBoyBlunder posted:

link

One day all other Rapids fans will learn that their hopes and dreams need to be thrown into the loving trash.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
https://twitter.com/AEricksonCD/status/898603916304072704

I really hope Santos plays for Crew tomorrow.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

One day all other Rapids fans will learn that their hopes and dreams need to be thrown into the loving trash.

Supposedly things will change once Bravo's bad contracts come off the books. Supposedly. I'll believe it when I see it, like if the Rapids actually carry 30 guys next year so they have enough bodies for Champions League and don't overplay their starting 11. Which, supposedly, they're excited by CCL and will "try to win." (They won't win).

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 19, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I completely forgot you guys got a CL spot...and how NYC had better than 50% chance to get a spot when the playoffs started and somehow didn't.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The 2019 Champions League rescheduling has the 2017 & 2018 MLS Cup champions and U.S. Open Cup champions qualifying, so they're trying to close the gap of good teams going bad. Supporters Shield winners get left out in the cold for the next two seasons, though.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Lol at the West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Stadium news: DCU front office has informed all the supporter groups that there will be 2,000 tickets total between them all. The regular crowd at RFK is easily triple that, likely 4-5x (and always half or more of the total attendance). No safe standing, as promised by the architecture company. So let's jam half your fanbase into half of one end of the stadium and continue with the lie that every game will sell out with regular folks on the same Saturdays that the Nats are in town.

These folks are astounding in their ignorance, and they're about to lose their shirts for incompetence.

• Locked thread