Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Wishing to be a Ancient Dragon is something you either do in that characters epilogue or something you do as prep before the final confrontation of a campaign. Wish is mostly just an extra 7th spell or source of infinite gold. Making an actual wish with it should be a character building moment or something pivotal to the end game. I don't know how a player could be invested enough to get to high level then just disregard the game and other players trying to do something that's going to ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Has anyone played the 5e version of the Zeitgeist Adventure Path? I've heard good things about the Pathfinder and 4e versions of the path, but not sure how the 5e conversion is quality wise.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Greased a small room+corridor full of necromancers and thralls, making a veritable skeleton slip'n'slide. Soon after a fireball was tossed, igniting it.

Game owns

Ps. Our party also learned the importance of spreading out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Necromancers can do a lot of damage.

Assuming you max out your skeleton army with the 3 casts to re-up your skeletons every 24 hours at level 7 (12 skeletons) can you would average 47 damage a turn with their shortbow 1d6+5 damage (assuming all of the shots hit but the average spread for damage)

And those skeletons together have 240 hp.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

And then everyone hates you while you take 13+ actions per round.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

And then everyone hates you while you take 13+ actions per round.

eh, it's on roll 20 so it's still like a 30 second turn as I have macros ready.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Oh yeah that's cool then. And really at the table I'd just say "All my skeletons attack THAT GUY" and roll 12d20 at once.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

oh poo poo. Inspiring Leader would actually be an amazing feat as long as you speak the same language as your undead knew in life.

You could increase their hp by almost 50% each at level 7.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
What sort of thing would be necessary to make Find Familiar clearer? I figure minimal stuff like having set stats, and acting on your turn. Any other changes that'd make them easier to use?

Also what makes the Pact of the Chain familiars better, out of interest?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

quote:

For example, wishing that a villain were dead might propel you forward in time to a period when that villain is no longer alive, effectively removing you from the game.

This is something I've seen several times, and I still don't get it. I think rocketing someone forward in time 100 years is probably a bit more of a powerful effect than "kill this nerd". This isn't wishing for something powerful, and getting some worse (but more efficient) outcome, this is "wish for something powerful, get something drastically more powerful specifically to screw you over."

Though, this clearly leaves open "push the villain 100 years into the future and let some other nerds deal with this guy". Full on someone else's problem, now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Klungar posted:

Has anyone played the 5e version of the Zeitgeist Adventure Path? I've heard good things about the Pathfinder and 4e versions of the path, but not sure how the 5e conversion is quality wise.
I haven't heard anything, but the baseline material is quality enough that I'd say go for it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ambi posted:

What sort of thing would be necessary to make Find Familiar clearer? I figure minimal stuff like having set stats, and acting on your turn. Any other changes that'd make them easier to use?

Also what makes the Pact of the Chain familiars better, out of interest?

A regular familiar is a nonmagical, unintelligent animal like a cat or a rat. There's some cheese you can do in-combat with them regarding the Help action but otherwise they're mostly a scouting tool.

Pact of the Chain familiars pull from an expanded list that includes imps and sprites. These are intelligent and have special abilities like being able to turn invisible. Their intelligence lets them use magic items and follow complex orders. Warlocks also get to take invocations to make their familiars better.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I say wish for something good but not stupidly good. Like "I want to be the greatest barbarian in the lands. For this how about two feats of my choice."

You get something that makes you probably the greatest barbarian in the land for your level but nothing stupidly overpowered so that adventures become pointless under you.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nitrousoxide posted:

oh poo poo. Inspiring Leader would actually be an amazing feat as long as you speak the same language as your undead knew in life.

You could increase their hp by almost 50% each at level 7.

Inspiring leader only works on 6 friendly things. My party was 9 at the time I had it and nobody busted my balls about it but the rules as written is possibly to stop you from telling an entire army of bones to go win one for the gipper.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Inspiring leader only works on 6 friendly things. My party was 9 at the time I had it and nobody busted my balls about it but the rules as written is possibly to stop you from telling an entire army of bones to go win one for the gipper.

It's spend 10 minutes for 6 friendly creatures. As I'm reading it you can then spend another 10 minutes for another 6 friendly creatures.

Temporary HP lasts until a long rest, so there's no reason the temp hp you've already given to the first 6 should go away.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

So you're spending six hours a day raising bones and then even more time giving each group of 6 an inspiring speech good lord this sounds fun to role play.

Aren't these bones extensions of you the necromancer anyway? Frank Oz telling Grover he can do great things if he tries and Grover believes him with a hand up his rear end. Stewart Smiley in dark and ominous robes telling himself in the mirror that dog gone it, skeletons like you. What the heck, even!!!

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 10, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you're an elf you can meditate 2 hours then rearm the bonegun for 6 during the long rest. "I do the thing with the skeletons" is all your DM should need to hear.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I dearly love the image of someone giving an inspiring speech to a bunch of skeletons.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I unironically want to give a skeleton pep talk

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Krinkle posted:

So you're spending six hours a day raising bones and then even more time giving each group of 6 an inspiring speech good lord this sounds fun to role play.

6 hours? It'd be 23 minutes for 12 undead. 1 minute per each 4 to refresh your control over them, than two 10 minute inspiring speeches.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Some of you men are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fireballs. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you'll all do your duty. Necro-war is a boney business, a killing business. The Fey are the enemy. Wade into them, spill their blood as they can no longer spill yours. Shoot them in the guts. Rip open their belly. When polymorphs are hitting all around you and you wipe the dirt from your skull and you realize that it's not dirt, it's the dust and marrow of what was once your best friend, you'll know what to do.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The great thing about skeletons is they aren't very smart so you can probably give the same inspiring speech each morning and they won't realize it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Remember, just because your bones are broken doesn't mean they won't stop a bullet from hitting me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can you reassemble a skeleton from parts of multiple skeletons?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Klungar posted:

If you do try it, let me know because I'd be curious to hear how it is.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I got incredibly frustrated at a fellow player last night. Without getting into the entire ordeal: this player basically made a series of character choices for himself and the faction he's part of which basically means he has no in fiction reason to continue with the adventure and his faction, who we are visiting, have no interest in assisting or even interacting with the rest of our party.

I don't think the player is being willfully obstructive but was just doubling down on a character concept without considering how it actually worked in the context of storytelling. A large chunk of the night was the DM trying to gently coax anything of a story or adventure element out of this dead end. Anyone have an idea on how to approach this dude with some basic collaborative storytelling/improv tenets so this is less likely to be a problem in the future?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"Well, guess you're all wrapped up then. What's your next character going to be?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Subjunctive posted:

"Well, guess you're all wrapped up then. What's your next character going to be?"
Pretty much this. It's also how I approach any "I have no reason to be with your party" characters.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've seen entire games killed off by stuff like this, so yeah. That character goes off with his own little adventure, make a new character.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Subjunctive posted:

Pretty much. I've had a few cases where I've gone through mental gymnastics to get my guy to continue with a party member(s) idea I don't think he'd be on board with. Works out OK for the most part. I can't imagine going out of your way to play this game with a character that doesn't want to be in this game.

People rolling "Dirk Dark Dagger" the lone wolf rogue thief that works alone and don't need anyone need seriously be sat down and made to understand that D&D is a co-op game.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

doctor 7 posted:

People rolling "Dirk Dark Dagger" the lone wolf rogue thief that works alone and don't need anyone need seriously be sat down and made to understand that D&D is a co-op game.

This is why the Assassin archetype is diseased down to the core.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I got incredibly frustrated at a fellow player last night. Without getting into the entire ordeal: this player basically made a series of character choices for himself and the faction he's part of which basically means he has no in fiction reason to continue with the adventure and his faction, who we are visiting, have no interest in assisting or even interacting with the rest of our party.

I don't think the player is being willfully obstructive but was just doubling down on a character concept without considering how it actually worked in the context of storytelling. A large chunk of the night was the DM trying to gently coax anything of a story or adventure element out of this dead end. Anyone have an idea on how to approach this dude with some basic collaborative storytelling/improv tenets so this is less likely to be a problem in the future?

Did your group do a session 0 to figure out why he's helping your group out or? I played with a GM once where half the group had this issue of playing characters who had no reason to be together or trust eachother or anything because he was so wrapped up in it happening organically rather than just having everyone sit there before the game starts and work out why everyone is a team or why everyone would be a team first.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is why the Assassin archetype is diseased down to the core.

If you mean the Assassin archetype as presented in the rulebooks, then how so? To me it just looks like a rogue with disguise stuff and extra stabbiness if it goes before opponents.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean assuming you haven't done this already the correct move is just sit them down, possibly separately and say "Hey, I understand you're very committed to the idea your character would have nothing to do with the party's current goals, but we're playing a game together and if you want to be able to participate you either need to help me find a reason why your character would go along with everyone, or you need to make a character who does want to go along."

Also maybe find out if this is a more roundabout way of this player expressing that they're not enjoying the current path the game is taking and maybe see if something can be done to work that out.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AlphaDog posted:

If you mean the Assassin archetype as presented in the rulebooks, then how so? To me it just looks like a rogue with disguise stuff and extra stabbiness if it goes before opponents.

All of the Assassin abilities are reliant almost entirely on DM fiat to work at all and, even if they were functional, encourage a style of play that inherently runs counter to co-op.

The DM spending 30 minutes of a 4 hour session fellating the Rogue as he goes off on his little solo adventure isn't fun for the rest of the group.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

kingcom posted:

Did your group do a session 0 to figure out why he's helping your group out or? I played with a GM once where half the group had this issue of playing characters who had no reason to be together or trust eachother or anything because he was so wrapped up in it happening organically rather than just having everyone sit there before the game starts and work out why everyone is a team or why everyone would be a team first.

I... Uh oh. This is exactly my plan. The guys I'm playing with are all friends so I'm assuming they will team up given the opportunity. But I've at least designed a backstop of them being assigned a mission together by the end of chapter one when introductions are done.

I guess I hadnt thought about them going the wrong way and not forming the party.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

All of the Assassin abilities are reliant almost entirely on DM fiat to work at all and, even if they were functional, encourage a style of play that inherently runs counter to co-op.

The DM spending 30 minutes of a 4 hour session fellating the Rogue as he goes off on his little solo adventure isn't fun for the rest of the group.

Out of combat, our Assassin was the guy who'd disguise himself as an official and gather information or open a side door for everyone else. About as much spotlight as everyone else got at their social/exploration speciality, which meant a couple of rolls or a 5 minute scene every couple of sessions. In combat they were just Stabby McFast unless we all got to ambush the enemy, in which case they'd leap out and do a crit first.

I mean, I see where you're coming from and I don't disagree that the potential for that is there, but that's not how it's played out the one time I've seen it play out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Way back at Adventurer's League, we had a guy show up in the middle of the campaign with a Rogue. "I have no reason to trust or work with you, once we break out of here I'm gone."

And then he never returned to league despite saying he would.

:iiam:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Eh, I dunno about all that. My assassin spent less time slowing things down than the bard in my game. If your game is more on the social side, than everyone spends time doing that stuff anyway. If it is less social than it means you just say what you want to do and run though it like any other action that isn't combat.

"I put on an impromptu rock concert in the tavern!" is just as much DM work as "I study the sheriff and so assassin poo poo!" unless you get really anal about it in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Way back at Adventurer's League, we had a guy show up in the middle of the campaign with a Rogue. "I have no reason to trust or work with you, once we break out of here I'm gone."

And then he never returned to league despite saying he would.

:iiam:

Roleplaying, not rollplaying.