Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've been using this for 6 years:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CP...uisinart+kettle

It's not adjustable but it has 6 preset temps which are good enough

The only other downside is that the numbers rub off after a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Schpyder posted:

Zojirushi water boiler
Yeah, I've had a Zojirushi for around a decade and it's aces. I think the one I have is around US$150. No idea if cheaper options would work just as well, but at this point if I had to replace it I'd just get the same thing again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

I've been using this for 6 years:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CP...uisinart+kettle

It's not adjustable but it has 6 preset temps which are good enough

The only other downside is that the numbers rub off after a while

I have the same one, but I don't think it keeps water hot for an hour. Maybe 20 mins with the reboiling?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I've got a small and large electric kettle from chefs choice or whatever. Not programmable in the slightest, but they lasted ~5 years each so far with no problems.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Since apparently 18 months is longer than I should expect the heating element in an electric kettle to last, anybody got any recommendations? Must hold water at temp for at least an hour, have customizable temperature settings, over 1.5 L. Must not be Bona Vita brand, who hosed me and I can't recommend.

Did you email their support? They've sent me two replacements.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

I have the same one, but I don't think it keeps water hot for an hour. Maybe 20 mins with the reboiling?

Oh good catch, the product description says 30 minutes

I'll still push for it because it's otherwise been solid for me and it's well reviewed:
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-home-kettle/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 11, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Did you email their support? They've sent me two replacements.

Hah, maybe I was foolish to have made a warranty claim. Oh well, the lid on mine was shot anyway. Thanks for the recommendations, all. I know I should just get a zojirushi but they're so pricey.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Saw a VitaPrep in the Goodwill auction starting at $20, bet I end up getting it for less than $100.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Re: using crap

I have a vitamix, a cuisinart, and an electric kettle. All three live on my counter, and get regular use. It wasn't until I moved them to my counter that I started using them more. My rice cooker is getting used daily, no matter where it is. I eat rice every day. But the other appliances I'd ignore. Once they came into the light I started using them far more.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use my Ankarsrum and Magimix pretty regularly and they live on a wire rack in my dining room, because I live in a tiny apartment with no counter space. Then again, I bake all of my own bread and do a ton of cooking, often for groups, so I bought them as functional items, not as "one day maybe I'll use these" items.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

The writing on my cheapo plastic deep fryer is wiping off. This includes the temperature scale, so if it eventually goes away entirely I will eventually forget where to set the slider. Anyone know if there's a type of marker I can use to replace the previous markings that will avoid this?

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 13, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

the littlest prince posted:

The writing on my cheapo plastic deep fryer is wiping off. This includes the temperature scale, so if it eventually goes away entirely I will eventually forget where to set the slider. Anyone know if there's a type of marker I can use to replace the previous markings that will avoid this?

sharpie makes a super-permanent variant that holds up against even acetone. It won't last forever and will wear off eventually, but you have a sharpie and can re-apply as needed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Go to the hardware store and ask the paint desk about clear coat or some other clear spray you can use on plastic. I did something similar to autographed souvenirs when the marker started rubbing off.

Are the markings on the knob itself?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
What's the best setup for deep frying anyways? If I'm going to fry chicken at most once a month or so, is the difference in easy of use and quality worth having a uni-task deep fryer or what? I'm in an apt with an induction range, have a cast iron Lodge dutch oven, for reference.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
YMMV but if it's not often, I'd just stick to shallow-frying.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Shallow fry in the Dutch oven.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

What's the best setup for deep frying anyways? If I'm going to fry chicken at most once a month or so, is the difference in easy of use and quality worth having a uni-task deep fryer or what? I'm in an apt with an induction range, have a cast iron Lodge dutch oven, for reference.

Not worth it, at best you'd gain:
-Auto-temp control of questionable accuracy
-Oil filtration

But you'd give up:
-Higher frying temps. Home deep fryers cap out at around 350F.
-Thermal mass of the dutch oven
-Precision and speed of an induction range

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, don't bother.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The most permanent way would be to just cut little graduation slits right into the plastic. It won't give you the exact numbers but you really only need like 3 on a deep fryer so you should be able to remember. Failing that write a legend down on an index card.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Some very good ideas, thanks! I am leaning toward the super sharpie but I'm not sure it would show up since the plastic is black. I know some markers are designed to show on dark surfaces but I have no idea if sharpies are. It's only two bucks so I'll probably try it.

It's only on the body of the fryer so it's not an area I have to touch outside of cleanings.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you want to mark on black, a bit of nail polish might work for making tick marks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A wok and using a funnel and coffee filters to strain is a good home deep fry setup

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

TheQuietWilds posted:

However you do it, make sure you get a temperature probe.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

When I repair this stuff I usually make an indentation where the mark should be (a drill bit lightly twisted makes a nice round hole), then drop a bit of black/white nail polish in the hole, making sure it stays below the depth of the hole.

Makes a crisp white mark that is a little more resistant to rubbing than a normal silk-screend marking.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
I'm looking for a gadget to help with canning this year's tomatoes. Are dedicated strainers (like http://www.victorioproducts.com/products/food-strainer/food-strainer-1) worth it, or is a food mill close enough? Is there an option that will also let me press solids out of sauces like mole, tamarind juice, etc, so I can stop using spoon & wire mesh strainer?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Any recommendations on a silicone-covered whisk?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Enkor posted:

I'm looking for a gadget to help with canning this year's tomatoes. Are dedicated strainers (like http://www.victorioproducts.com/products/food-strainer/food-strainer-1) worth it, or is a food mill close enough? Is there an option that will also let me press solids out of sauces like mole, tamarind juice, etc, so I can stop using spoon & wire mesh strainer?

Get a chinois for straining. The bigger the better, and get whatever hole size you need.

Food mill should be good enough from what you were describing.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I have the same victorio food strainer and love it for tomato sauce. It makes the preparation much easier. I got it as a hand-me-down from my grandpa (along with a mammoth pressure cooker) who had been canning sauce for years, which I figure speaks to the build quality as well.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Any recs on portable induction hobs I can get in the UK?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've been using latex gloves for big cooking events. A Costco Business just opened up near me and they have nitrile gloves (500 gloves for $20!) which say they're more puncture resistant for only a couple more bucks. Anyone have experience with these?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I don't have any experience in the kitchen with them, but I'm a chemist, and I much prefer nitrile gloves in the lab. Anecdotally, they are more puncture-resistant, though when they are punctured, they tend to tear, so you notice it. They're also supposed to be more chemically resistant, though the difference probably doesn't matter much for culinary use? And, personally, I hate the feel of latex gloves, and feel like nitrile ones hold up better when using a single pair for a while.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I only buy nitrile gloves, and it's entirely because they're more comfortable. For $0.25/glove, I think it's worth the upcharge.

e: I'm dumb I mean $0.04/glove :downs:

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 16, 2017

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

You can also wear them with a suit and pretend you're about to rob a bank

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wear black nitrile gloves when i cook because it makes me feel like a tattoo artist

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sheeeit, I didn't even know black was an option, of course I'm gonna go with that

edit: oh poo poo Amazon has black face masks too, I just need a leather apron and I'll basically have a horror movie costume

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I only buy nitrile gloves, and it's entirely because they're more comfortable. For $0.25/glove, I think it's worth the upcharge.

25 cents? Amazon has 100 packs of 4mil nitrile gloves for 8 cents a glove

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 15, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, nitrile is the way to go.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I've been using latex gloves for big cooking events. A Costco Business just opened up near me and they have nitrile gloves (500 gloves for $20!) which say they're more puncture resistant for only a couple more bucks. Anyone have experience with these?

cross compare prices with harbor freight, i usually get packs of 100 pairs of 7mil gloves under 10 bucks. medium weight cost a bit more and are my preference for car work but thinner ones will be cheaper.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ChefSteps is currently having a sale on the Joule for anyone interested, $30 off. Coupon code is SUMMERJOULE30, good today only!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

The Midniter posted:

ChefSteps is currently having a sale on the Joule for anyone interested, $30 off. Coupon code is SUMMERJOULE30, good today only!

That brings it to $149, which is a great price for the best circulator stick on the market.

Is the premium addon worth $20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, it's pretty good for $20 for life

Cook's Illustrated has way more content but after a while there's only so many different ways to bake a pie and I'm getting tired of paying $30

Here's a peek at Chef Steps' premium stuff:

(their fast kimchi recipe involves using a whipping siphon and lactic acid to dope carbonation into the vegetables in two hours, which is a great idea for emergency kimchi)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 17, 2017