Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love how everyone but CirclMastr said, "she's fine everything is fine IT'S FINE," and then we've got, "don't be silly, an explosion would imply there are remains."

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thanks for the Eris LP. There were a lot of clever bits but I kept going cross-eyed trying to parse it. That Mimisbrunnr map looks like it keeps some of the interesting graphics while being a lot cleaner overall.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yes, thanks for the LP. Eris seems very much to be sort of "well let's make the player get completely lost", but kinda in a tedious way. Definitely not his finest work.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

FPzero posted:

Thanks so much for LPing Eris. It's one of the most unique Super Metroid hacks I've ever played, and to think it originally came out in 2009 at a time where we just weren't seeing weird graphical stuff yet. It really had a huge impression on lots of the people in the hacking scene. I think you could definitely attribute a lot of the weirder concepts and tile layouts seen in more recent hacks to DMantra's style, especially in terms of fake depth created through careful layering of tiles on Layers 1 and 2.

You know, I definitely agree with everybody that the hack sacrifices a lot of visual clarity for the sake of style, but in the context of it being an early groundbreaking experiment in the scene for the sake of pushing things forward I can appreciate it a lot.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 26 - Fight House :siren:

We round up a few of our missing companions, run into more of my favorite music, and make a lot of awful jokes that are followed up with awkward silence. Good stuff. There is one Bum Rush in this video that gets a little flashier than I'd hope for, coming off of the almost flawless 30fps fix. I call it out in the video itself a few minutes before it actually comes up. Just be mindful of that one.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't imagine "Booty Wave" being anything but a very, very aggressive rear end shake.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe it's a tsunami of pirate treasure.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Of all the things I expected to hear in an LP, the "Gogo = Adlai Stevenson" theory was not one of them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thinking about it again, I dunno if I'd say the first level feels like 14th place but it's not bad or anything. Same sentiments for the second level, but in reverse.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So is Nimono being blacklisted from judging in future contests after their conduct in this one?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Felt like the Portal references were tacked-on and unnecessary. The level seemed like a decent glitch-puzzle level, though.
The second level was absolutely beautiful, but those lights evidently held it back from 10/10 aesthetics. I seriously doubt it would have passed the grey block test though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What's up with the water in that second level? It looks amazing but did the base game ever have water like that?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah it's from the castle destruction sequences. I think specifically the one after fighting Ludwig.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we complete out World four and finally escape space. Hopefully we never have to return. Plus we meet a new friend.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 09

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't care either way about Portal references, but I like how Aperture Laboratory used glitches that doesn't require the player to have an intimate knowledge of Super Mario World already.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Yeah, as far as being a primer on strange glitches in SMW it's actually pretty good. It would probably be a better level if it had ditched the dumb Portal references/memes and focused on that.

Materant fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 6, 2017

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I love how giggly you guys get everytime the word nice appears.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FPzero posted:

Thinking about it again, I dunno if I'd say the first level feels like 14th place but it's not bad or anything. Same sentiments for the second level, but in reverse.

I love how the Portal level uses a resample of a track from the Forza Motorsport 3 soundtrack of all things. I spent the first three minutes of the video going "that song sounds familiar. I've heard it somewhere before" and then it hit me.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we tackle world 5 and it's normal elite levels.
SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 10

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"Take your time." Yeah right. I dunno what this level was trying to say with its message boxes but that's an outright lie from what we experienced. But it's not necessarily bad, just confusing and weird. I kinda liked it in places but overall it's probably pretty average. Another case of too many ideas.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That level felt like it was composed mostly of busywork.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah
The level sure did

Take your time

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Also, if you want to not kill the player due to timeout, just make the level untimered from the start. Nobody gives a poo poo about time bonuses.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think anyone who's designed a level in romhacks or mario maker has thought it was neat to make a level that has you going back and forth over the same area. That level demonstrates why it's better in theory than practice, I don't know if the "no time death" was a coding error or trolling.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I think that 1up was supposed to gotten by bending down one side and slipping under:

unless that isn't possible?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Jeez, what a ridiculously long and kinda boring level. Like, a 700 second timer that wasn't even close to being enough to finish a level is kind of ridiculously excessive. The level could've been, I dunno, half as long as it was and it'd still be overly long but at least the scant few ideas it had wouldn't have necessarily worn out their welcome quite as much. I'm not even sure what the point of some of them even was. The blue/yellow box "mazes" that aren't was the closest thing to a real main idea it had, and that was just pointless busywork. :psyduck:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Jeez, what a ridiculously long and kinda boring level. Like, a 700 second timer that wasn't even close to being enough to finish a level is kind of ridiculously excessive. The level could've been, I dunno, half as long as it was and it'd still be overly long but at least the scant few ideas it had wouldn't have necessarily worn out their welcome quite as much. I'm not even sure what the point of some of them even was. The blue/yellow box "mazes" that aren't was the closest thing to a real main idea it had, and that was just pointless busywork. :psyduck:

Any one of the back and forth bits could have been a cute little level (though that last big vertical one... if your solution to "what if they mess up" is "don't mess up" then you need to take another look at your design) but all of them together after a random assortment of initial stage design, was definitely a slog.

E: as an example, who lists Gnarly as their favorite Mario World level? Big vertical one where it's very easy to clip up and fall aaaaaaall the way back down.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 8, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Doseku posted:

Today we tackle world 5 and it's normal elite levels.
SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 10

This mod's got some dumb tryhard edgelord poo poo but there are some cool things. Like the roulette wheel and the (sometimes quite wonky) modded-in powerups.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So how many times has a level creator straight-up lied via message blocks? This is the second by my count after the one that talked about using Koopas to kick the grabable blocks.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The thing is you are right about it being very edgy but there's something I find kinda charming about our two villains.
The whole game is predicated on the fact that all hunter is trying to do at this point is save his only and best friend who doesn't want to die.
To do that he has essentially starting transforming Hyrule in order to get enough power to eventually pull his friend out of limbo and into a proper body.
The two are supposedly dangerous but by the way they act so about stuff it's kind of hard to take them seriously as the threat the game wants you to treat them as.
It's kinda weird how Mario is the serious character while hunter and scorpion are more laid back. Scorpion himself seems to be way too optimistic considering the situation he's in. He's just here to have fun and hang with his bud.

Long story short as edgy as the story tries to be it's actually about the bond of two friends and how one is desperately fighting to keep the other alive and even going against his boss to keep the friendship intact.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Any one of the back and forth bits could have been a cute little level (though that last big vertical one... if your solution to "what if they mess up" is "don't mess up" then you need to take another look at your design) but all of them together after a random assortment of initial stage design, was definitely a slog.

E: as an example, who lists Gnarly as their favorite Mario World level? Big vertical one where it's very easy to clip up and fall aaaaaaall the way back down.

Yeah, there have been plenty of actual Mario levels with similar "go back and forth through a big area" setup and they tend to be very fun and memorable. But they also limit themselves to just one area like that.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 27 - Albino Sonic :siren:

The first few minutes of the video have a couple flashy Bum Rushes. I, uh, was not quick on the draw pointing them out in the video, so just be aware of that.

Also, Demerine outs herself as a goblin supporter.

:ssh: It's okay though because I also supported the goblin.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Untitled - heretofore known as the White Album

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't know what you were referencing with "ayo, it's mayo," but I couldn't help laughing because both of you were cracking up.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Storm Dragon totally had a 65k HP pool. Along with auto-haste and auto-protect.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

get that OUT of my face posted:

I don't know what you were referencing with "ayo, it's mayo," but I couldn't help laughing because both of you were cracking up.

Haven't watched the video but I assume they're joking about how lovely hipster chefs just put poo poo in mayonnaise and call it aoli.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actually I think it was a Splatoon 2 reference to the Splatfest that occurred last weekend.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah, a Google search referred me to Splatoon 2, although I didn't catch the context from the links I checked.

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl2nD4jHXt0

Yes, Pearl is our tiny goblin child and she's great. My love of short fantasy races is unparalleled.

Also, did we hit an awkward silence record in recent episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today the rest of world five gets tackled and we get a new short lived powerup.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 11 - Fortress of the elite

• Locked thread