Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President posted:

I don't think people were clamoring for an Aussie sedan.

Counterpoint: the return of the GTO was exactly that.

Well, Aussie Coupe, but you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

It looks like they grafted the front fascia of a Camaro onto the rest of the SS.

e: also squirter gambler is my new favorite name for SRA.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can I vent on something?

I've ran into a few fans that despise Dale Jr. for some reason and I've never understood it.

While his fanbase might be annoying, I can say Jr. himself has been very good for the sport overall, and seems to be a "one of us" type of drivers. While I respect the talents of guys like Harvick? He really seems to represent an era of Cup where the drivers were trying to be marketed towards surbubia rather than rural america.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut President posted:

I don't think people were clamoring for an Aussie sedan.

The internet was clamouring for non-luxury sports sedan with manual transmission. This one even had the best V8 ever! GM gave them one and nobody bought it. Anybody that had the means to buy one probably just purchased a Camaro *SUPRISE!* Now, the entire internet is backpedalling saying that the SS was too expensive/looked too bland/didn't perform well enough (???) so that's why they didn't buy one. It's total bullshit - anybody that wants a fast American car with a V8 either A.) Gets a muscle car or B.) Gets a muscle car.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

exploded mummy posted:

Isn't this the last year for the SS anyway?

I thought that was 1945?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I thought that was 1945?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

iospace posted:

Well, it was only a matter of time for that. The SS was dying anyway.

Tangential, but the SS is the prime example of listening to the enthusiasts than the market. "WE WANT A LS POWERED SEDAN!" "Ok, here: *offers one*" "... it's not what exactly I wanted though! :qq:"

Things no one was clamoring for: a nearly $50k Chevrolet sedan with Chevrolet as gently caress interior.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bring back the Monte Carlo

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Camaro does the Monte Carlo's job now too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Human Grand Prix posted:

The internet was clamouring for non-luxury sports sedan with manual transmission. This one even had the best V8 ever! GM gave them one and nobody bought it. Anybody that had the means to buy one probably just purchased a Camaro *SUPRISE!* Now, the entire internet is backpedalling saying that the SS was too expensive/looked too bland/didn't perform well enough (???) so that's why they didn't buy one. It's total bullshit - anybody that wants a fast American car with a V8 either A.) Gets a muscle car or B.) Gets a muscle car.

the real issue is that car culture as a whole seems like it is kinda dying right now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

financially racist posted:

the real issue is that car culture as a whole seems like it is kinda dying right now.

I don't think it's dying but moving in different directions than it used to. Force induction is the way to make power du jour. People are moving away from big rear end V8s. Hell, the Mustang only has two engines now, the V8 and the I4 turbo.

Also the recession hurting people's ability to get into cars, which are by nature an expensive endevour.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

It's odd to me that car culture is diminishing while tech culture is growing and readily accessible.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

There's a lot more super rich assholes pushing Tech then there are super rich assholes pushing automotive tech

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Cars can't go vroom vroom anymore. That's like half of all car culture.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

iospace posted:

I don't think it's dying but moving in different directions than it used to. Force induction is the way to make power du jour. People are moving away from big rear end V8s. Hell, the Mustang only has two engines now, the V8 and the I4 turbo.

Also the recession hurting people's ability to get into cars, which are by nature an expensive endevour.

The recession ended years ago. Consumers don't want to buy 4 door taxicabs anymore. They want the SUVs and the crossovers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

cars suck rear end and killed our cities and our planet. they also reached the technology plateau where they all look the same and work the same and any old dumbshit with moderate means can get a car that goes way faster than it should, its nothing special and takes no effort. cars just arent cool anymore. and i say that as someone who really likes cars and driving.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Yeah like when the whole meat department at the grocery store i used to work at owned Mustangs it kinda loses it's coolness.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Car prices are fine, most people just don't have that much to spend. 40 years of stagnant wages will do that. The people with money is growing ever smaller so manufacturers will increasingly cater to them and they want German luxury or American fake luxury(trucks and SUVa). Everything less than that is either an appliance or EPA filler.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
meanwhile Dodge is over here like "yo my dudes this is how you build a RWD V8 performance sedan that sells ok welp cya"

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Cygni posted:

cars suck rear end and killed our cities and our planet. they also reached the technology plateau where they all look the same and work the same and any old dumbshit with moderate means can get a car that goes way faster than it should, its nothing special and takes no effort. cars just arent cool anymore. and i say that as someone who really likes cars and driving.

I like this post. It's a solid :five:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It's odd to me that car culture is diminishing while tech culture is growing and readily accessible.

Am I wrong in thinking the digital dash isn't at least partly some lame attempt by NASCAR to be interesting to fans, much as Junior thinks the whole reason the cars had wings was to try and cash in on The Fast and the Furious culture?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

yeah pretty much this.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Cygni posted:

I want an electric car :ssh:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tessa insanity mode is a hell of a feeling in a road car. My old rich neighbor traded his Maserati for one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NASCARONFOX/status/895719609638191109

Where have I seen an 8 which sort of looked like that before...?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

That 2018 car... :getin:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rear spoiler looks a lot smaller. Splitter still problematic.

Looks good though

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
The car looks better than the photo editing job, at least.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
facebook is cool because sometimes you get to see a NASCAR sheet metal fabricator melt down in real time over the new composite bodies in Xfinity

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Welp, sorry, but this makes Harvick look like a dick:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/20305175/dale-earnhardt-jr-says-kevin-harvick-comments-were-hurtful

Harvick isn't necessarily wrong, but Junyer also has several good points. Maybe if Harvick and Johnson were more likeable, that would have helped.

E: And both Busch brothers. And Matt Kenseth.

I do feel like Jr gave his all to the sport. We may have more data on this in 20 years as far as the concussions go. He's kind of the fifth infielder in a way, a journeyman.
I thought they were friends, and Harvick drove for Jr. I'm guessing they might not be as close after this- I sure wouldn't tolerate something like that from a friend of mine.

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 11, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Harvick sounds like a jellious oval office. Sorry fans like a genuine guy a lot more than you i guess?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elitist Bitch posted:

Welp, sorry, but this makes Harvick look like a dick:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/20305175/dale-earnhardt-jr-says-kevin-harvick-comments-were-hurtful

Harvick isn't necessarily wrong, but Junyer also has several good points. Maybe if Harvick and Johnson were more likeable, that would have helped.

E: And both Busch brothers. And Matt Kenseth.

I do feel like Jr gave his all to the sport. We may have more data on this in 20 years as far as the concussions go. He's kind of the fifth infielder in a way, a journeyman.
I thought they were friends, and Harvick drove for Jr. I'm guessing they might not be as close after this- I sure wouldn't tolerate something like that from a friend of mine.

JJ is okay. His dominance mixed with cup' s most nauseating Madison avenue soccer moera was not good though.

Great talent though. Great with fans too. I'm actually a fan now.

Harvick, and others just seem to not be as likeable to me. Feels like every other week there's a fight involving those drivers were discussing (sans Johnson).

Kinda done with them. Hell even guys like the Dillons are prefable to the cast of the "Gillette Young Guns"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Weird racist Californian hates NASCAR driver from North Carolina, is this news?

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Elitist Bitch posted:

Welp, sorry, but this makes Harvick look like a dick.

I always thought Harvick was a dick, so I'm not surprised by this. Well, maybe a little.. .

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower
The whole "people should/do only root for the most talented athletes/teams" sentiment that Harvick is using is kinda wrong and dumb anyway. Most sports fans I know root for their home team regardless of whether or not they're winning games and championships, and aren't gonna switch to another team when theirs starts losing.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I don't even dislike Johnson. For me he's just meh. I get fed up when he wins all the time more than anything.

I also had no idea Harvick was racist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dale Jr is basically a poc

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elitist Bitch posted:

I don't even dislike Johnson. For me he's just meh. I get fed up when he wins all the time more than anything.

I also had no idea Harvick was racist.

He's the Scott Dixon of NASCAR. both are other worldly talents and you appreciate seeing that level of greatness but you also like seeing others wim.

SwampYankee posted:

The whole "people should/do only root for the most talented athletes/teams" sentiment that Harvick is using is kinda wrong and dumb anyway. Most sports fans I know root for their home team regardless of whether or not they're winning games and championships, and aren't gonna switch to another team when theirs starts losing.

I think to many fans Jr. was the last stand of pre-jeff Gordon era NASCAR. Even if he himself came well after.

Dale Sr, Rusty and others were out of the sport by the mid 2000s. There was really no one to replace them with in regards to being from the type of culture (read: South, rural) that they hailed from.

The sport needed better balance and until recently? They had yet to accomplish that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Harvick is an idiot because 'likeable drivers' are about reason #32 on 'reasons NASCAR collapsed over the last decade'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
NASCAR died when they closed Rockingham :bahgawd:

• Locked thread