Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is quite nice. The weathering really sells it, as do the extra details.

This is also quite good; did you just do the contershading dots with a brush?

Oh Rattebrain, will you ever learn?

Finally done my redo of splinter camo. Now it is time to get funky with the effects...

also maybe scratchbuild some exhausts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

First attempt at snow camo.

Admittedly looks kinda lovely because of the toothpaste not working exactly like I wanted it to.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

TARDISman posted:

toothpaste not working exactly like I wanted it to.
Go on...

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I used toothpaste as a mask for the spray paint. I went a little heavy on it so now it looks a little less faded in parts and more just patchy. It also smells minty fresh.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Toothpaste masking is original, to say the least. Why not use hairspray?

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is also quite good; did you just do the contershading dots with a brush?

Yeah, they were brush painted.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

Toothpaste masking is original, to say the least. Why not use hairspray?

I googled snow camo and the guy suggested toothpaste, I think I just used the wrong toothpaste, or put it on too thick. One of the two.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Haven't posted a tank in a little while, so have an Italeri Crusader Mk.III

Rest of album

I figured that since the new Tamiya kit is just the old one with extras, I might as well grab the old mold, especially since I finally found a seller that was willing to part with it for less than the ridiculous $50 it went for in my local model shop. Picked up a nice RB barrel to go with it, too.

The kit definitely hasn't aged well. The turret deformed in storage, and getting the pieces to match involved a lot of filling and sanding, as a result of which I lost half of the rivets on the turret. My attempts at re-riveting have been only partially successful, so I draped a flag to hide the more terrible looking ones. I also draped a rag over the projector to hide how awful it looked (no transparent pieces in this kit), but doing the same thing with the headlights proved impossible, so there they are. I replaced the antennas and handles with wire as well. The vinyl tracks behaved as well as could be expected, but the decals are very thick and have noticeable edges. The edges faded after a few layers of varnish, but not on all of them. The kit came with three figures, but they are so terrible by modern standards that I didn't bother. The tow cables are also unacceptable, so I left them out.

Overall, it's definitely a product of its time, but not a terrible build.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 6, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

... The tow cables are also unacceptable, so I left them out.

I laughed when I got to this part. Was it those god-awful straight ones you're supposed to melt over a candle? I've never gotten those to not look like poo poo.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, exactly that kind, with a big seam running along the side, which would destroy all detail if cleaned up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yup, exactly that kind, with a big seam running along the side, which would destroy all detail if cleaned up.

Goondolences.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a Tamiya BT-7. Nice kit, aside from the main gun barrel being one of those awful clamshells that don't like up right. I found a Polish guy selling machined metal barrels on eBay for like eight bux.

And then I hosed up the straight and link tracks. Ended up with half a link's space on the left side, with only the wrong kind of link left.

I did some surgery and got a reasonably non-awful looking mini link. :downs: It just needs a tiny bit of putty.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Clamshell barrels are the devil. I found an RB barrel seller at a show selling them for dirt cheap and got one for every kit in my stash.

Speaking of BT-7s, I got two EE ones and a Zvezda one, as well as a small pile of PE and a guide to getting them into a more or less historically accurate state. This should be fun.

I also got a handful of PzI command tank kits from different manufacturers, with plenty of spares to spruce up the cheaper kits. Hopefully I'll have enough spares for the old Maquette multimedia 15 cm sIG 33 (mot S) auf Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf.B.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Goondolences.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a Tamiya BT-7. Nice kit, aside from the main gun barrel being one of those awful clamshells that don't like up right. I found a Polish guy selling machined metal barrels on eBay for like eight bux.

And then I hosed up the straight and link tracks. Ended up with half a link's space on the left side, with only the wrong kind of link left.

I did some surgery and got a reasonably non-awful looking mini link. :downs: It just needs a tiny bit of putty.

The surgery was a success, doc. If you hadn't said anything, I would never have noticed. I've got that kit in the stash and will remember to pick up a barrel for it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm looking at making a diorama of Americans assaulting a German objective, I'm just torn between if I want to do a Flak 88 36 or just go with a straight flakpanzer. It's going to be an urban environment if that really makes any difference.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You can make a flakpanzer with a severed track with a crew trying to fix it under fire.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

You can make a flakpanzer with a severed track with a crew trying to fix it under fire.

If the situation was that, would a tank destroyer standing guard make much sense or should I go with a halftrack deploying reinforcements?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I think in the scale that you have to work with, a halftrack dropping off reinforcements would work better, unless you're planning an absolutely huge diorama.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Onto the next one. Ambush camo on the Tiger 2.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

First attempt at a salt chip

Super zoomed in you can see the texture the laser made on the decorative concrete panels too. I think the laser was set to 0.1mm or something.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 7, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looks very Brutalist. I say leave the concrete texture.

And if it's supposed to be a window blind, I say use a brown or rust color as base next time. This looks too shiny, as if the damage wasn't caused by wear or weather, but by pelting it with stones just a moment ago.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A Gundam being tied down on the ground by WWII troops, a la Gullivers Travels.

The Muffinlord posted:

Get a roughly 1/100 scale tank and have the Gundam drop an atomic elbow on it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Get a roughly 1/100 scale tank and have the Gundam keister it.

The Muffinlord posted:

Get a roughly 1/100 scale tank and smash it under a Gundam's foot.

Goddamnit now I wanna spend money on models that I have no where to put

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

As a vague project to motivate me I'm going to try and do a review/build log for my next project!

A 1/72 F-15E from Great Wall Hobby.

Is there anything you guys like to see from reviews/builds? Going to avoid video because I know I'm not a huge fan of those.

I'm generously only an average modeller. I am coming mainly from building Bandai Star Wars kits.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

As a vague project to motivate me I'm going to try and do a review/build log for my next project!

A 1/72 F-15E from Great Wall Hobby.

Is there anything you guys like to see from reviews/builds? Going to avoid video because I know I'm not a huge fan of those.

I'm generously only an average modeller. I am coming mainly from building Bandai Star Wars kits.

Scratch build all the things.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

Scratch build all the things.

Maybe for the 2nd attempt.

I am super frustrated that so few kits seem to come with little pilots.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Plane kits seem really big on the idea that they will all be built as runway maintainance dioramas with lots of bits for teeny mans to take off and pretend to be working on. No idea why that is.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

I kid of course. I just get a charge out of all those build logs where the guy ends up scratch (re)building ~80% of the kit. Whereas I get all :smug: when I cut a piece of styrene rod to fit to replace a damaged gun cleaning rod on a tank.

In all seriousness, just do whatever build you want and post pics as you go along. Good fun for all.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Academy-12423-Plastic-Model-Kit-1-72-F-22A-Raptor-Air-Dominance-Fighter-NEW-/122629813311

this has to be a scam right?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Only 2 sales history. I'd steer clear.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

Only 2 sales history. I'd steer clear.

Yeah, it's not even sales but purchases. Very dubious they've ended up with 50+ kits and are selling it at that below market.

I do need to stop my hobby of buying kits and transition it more into making them :(

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Little commander dude for the Tiger 2.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For that price I'd roll the dice and almost be happy if crapkit arrived TBH.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

After the usual bout of logistical problems at the start of a Hachette partwork, I'm back at building the Scharnhorst. Issue 4 lets me add 2 frames and side beams to the front structure of the ship.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

In this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbD09RqPmy4

He makes cloth and canvas features using paper soaked in a "paper shaper" liquid he's selling: https://www.vms-supplies.com/vms-paper-shaper

I think it looks pretty good, and I'd like to try it myself, but I have trouble believing that the author of the video developed a new technique. I haven't been able to find anything else that demonstrates how to model cloth using paper.
I'm thinking I could get pretty far with just watered down PVA, but is there a scale modeling go-to for this kind of thing?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It looks like some form of plasticiser. It's weird, but I don't think you should actually end up with something less good in practice just using PVA and tissue.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wonder if that could have decent looking sails

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'll try PVA and report back. I'm really interested in being able to detach the cloth pieces, so I might also try picking up some slow-drying CA some sort of solvent to reproduce what he's doing in the video.
It wouldn't work for plastic or resin models but I'm working over plaster in this case, so maybe even acetone would work?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Paragon8 posted:

Hey Paragon, if you're in the states, I think I may have some 72 scale airplane drivin' mans laying around.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Hey Paragon, if you're in the states, I think I may have some 72 scale airplane drivin' mans laying around.

thanks for the offer but I'm on the other side of the atlantic!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
This came up on the large scale planes forum and it's an interesting topic, so I wanted to ask here: What keeps you going? When you have a project that just feels bogged down and the thought of sitting at the bench fills you with ambivalence, what do you do to keep going? What are your favorite and least favorite parts of the project process?

I've identified the fact that I always lose a little bit of drive right after the base airbrush coat is finished and that's because inevitably it's when the model looks its worst. No detail painting, no weathering, just... blah. That seems to sap a lot of my drive, so I've invoked the "15 minute rule." In which I try to devote at least 15 minutes a night to the bench so that I can make progress and get to making the piece look good. I'm a rules-driven kinda guy, so the idea of the "rule of two" that someone mentioned in the LSP thread appeals to me as well. Basically, the guy says he only allows himself a max of two kits in progress at any time. Want to start that new kit? Gotta finish one of the other ones first. Finishing a project makes me excited to start the next one, and inevitably if I start a bunch, I never finish them and just get disappointed. I've been at this since Christmas of '13 and I think I've got maybe 15 completed kits sitting on the shelf... mostly 1/35 armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I let the ambivalence wash over me like a cool shower, and put projects off for years. I put more stuff off than I ever finish.