Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Nephthys posted:

So I started a Orion campaign that I'd been holding off on for the RoR update and balance tweaks and it was going pretty well until Morghur appeared on turn 12ish, still level 1 but somehow having a full stack with every RoR in there and 2 cygors.

That seems a little unfair. :v:

Does the AI not have to worry about level requirements? Those regenerating Minotaurs scare me.

Your garrison in your home city as Wood Elves is ridiculous and you should bait them to attacking you there if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Aaaaannnnndddddd they did enough to the files to break my tier 4 mod from loading. I didn't buy the pre-order yet so here's hoping I can fix it with just the files and not an actual game!

:suicide:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

How to kill war mammoths, a 3-step guide:
1)overcast plague of rust
2)light them up with marauder horsemasters
3)kholek and a shaggoth smash their tusks in

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6sw7vk/early_impressions_of_rework_warriors_of_chaos/

An interesting take on Chaos post-patch. Looks like there's one or two little weird things (like replenishment from tech only applying the bonus if you're in friendly territory), but overall it's good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What's the opening moves for WoC these days

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

StashAugustine posted:

What's the opening moves for WoC these days

We don't know the patch just came out. But likely it does not matter much anymore.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

done on very hard on the newest patch on like turn 8 or something. Those free company used every single shot and then got into melee too.

i'm mostly just surprised at how many kills stirland's company got there

those motherfuckers I swear.

I sacked Grimhold, and killed Skarsnick and his second army at Nuln. I watch as 2 full Karak Norn stacks roll up and start siegeing the now undefended main settlement, and decide it's time for me to move east and start my war against whats left of the VC ( they had a huge Civil War and keep getting sacked constantly ). Bring Franz and my other two armies over to Sylvania, only to look west and see THREE Crooked Moon armies and an unsieged main settlement.

I've now wiped them out entirely, but it took valuable turns.

Gotta say I'm loving this patch. This feels like what the game was always supposed to be with the DLC. I'm watching a stream someone put up of a VC game, and the Empire is wholly confederated and out for blood by turn 50. He's forced to actually churn out armies/abuse Raise Dead just to stay in the fight, and is relying on his great heroes to hold crucial areas. He's also constantly sending what extra gold he gets from Sacking to the Beastmen/Greenskins/Norsca to try and build an evil alliance, which actually fits the "master manipulator" bit the VC always had.

All my VC games before were me walking through the already dead Empire poking at the bones. I can't wait to jump over and do a VC campaign now that it's like that.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, they're TOTALLY not gonna do Tomb Kings as DLC for game 2. Totally.

Put that crown back! You do NOT want its owner coming after you.

as Tomb Kings are pretty isolationist, a series of quests to recover stolen artifacts would be a cool and lore-friendly game mechanic

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
up to turn 35 or so now with Throgg and having a great time, only Wulfric left to bring to heel and all of norsca is mine but I got two massive screw-you events in a row that cost me favor and each reduced the armor of all my units by 10 for 10 turns :arghfist: luckily we aren't at war so I paid him some money to calm down for a while until I these events pass

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
FWIW The tier 4 mod is working again if you had a save going with it but they went loving crazy with minor settlements, branching them into a new data folder for Norsca, especially in regards to how buildings are shown in the tree (i.e. high tier poo poo like the Hall of Oaths isn't visible to minors because they stop at 3). Gonna take me a couple days to go over what changed and make sure I don't overlap on poo poo.

It should work with old saves and a new campaign, you just won't get anything new for Norsca yet.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Rookersh posted:

those motherfuckers I swear.

I sacked Grimhold, and killed Skarsnick and his second army at Nuln. I watch as 2 full Karak Norn stacks roll up and start siegeing the now undefended main settlement, and decide it's time for me to move east and start my war against whats left of the VC ( they had a huge Civil War and keep getting sacked constantly ). Bring Franz and my other two armies over to Sylvania, only to look west and see THREE Crooked Moon armies and an unsieged main settlement.

I've now wiped them out entirely, but it took valuable turns.

Gotta say I'm loving this patch. This feels like what the game was always supposed to be with the DLC. I'm watching a stream someone put up of a VC game, and the Empire is wholly confederated and out for blood by turn 50. He's forced to actually churn out armies/abuse Raise Dead just to stay in the fight, and is relying on his great heroes to hold crucial areas. He's also constantly sending what extra gold he gets from Sacking to the Beastmen/Greenskins/Norsca to try and build an evil alliance, which actually fits the "master manipulator" bit the VC always had.

All my VC games before were me walking through the already dead Empire poking at the bones. I can't wait to jump over and do a VC campaign now that it's like that.

If you're quick with VC you can beat a path south to the border princes instead of loving with the Empire. I often do that just so there's more of a buffer for when chaos rolls through.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

new phone who dis posted:

If you're quick with VC you can beat a path south to the border princes instead of loving with the Empire. I often do that just so there's more of a buffer for when chaos rolls through.

gently caress that, go straight for Altdorf. The electors can come and pay homage to Vlad and Isabella on the Imperial throne.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Been playing with 14 max stack size and vastly prefer it to vanilla.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Man gently caress Surtha Ek, and gently caress the way that chariots are REALLY GOOD when the AI uses them and garbo units that get bogged down and don't do poo poo for anyone who actually has to micro them

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Endgame Norsca DLC spoiler:
If you reject Archaeon as Norsca, what exactly happens? Does the entire invasion army spawn as hostile, or do you get a chance to backstab him?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Endgame Norsca DLC spoiler:
If you reject Archaeon as Norsca, what exactly happens? Does the entire invasion army spawn as hostile, or do you get a chance to backstab him?

They spawn as hostile and you have to murder them.

I just finished off the Empire after slogging through the southern realms (they had fled chaos and colonized the ruins down there). Norsca is fun as hell. The AI is annoyingly capable of charging across the map, sacking your poo poo, and then happily teleporting back out of range (all on the same loving turn), but beyond that it's a nice take on the raiding faction mechanic. I really loving love how they're making each new race stand out in terms of gameplay. This setting is the best thing to happen to Total War in a while, and vice versa.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Just confederated the last Empire province. Turn 80ish thanks to Skarsnik ( fucker ). I have near no military buildings in Wissenland, Averland, or Stirland, so I can basically just recruit spears there. The entire rest of the Empire has been turned into a crazy recruitment center by the AI.

My income dropped from 10k a turn to 500 a turn thanks to the 3 new armies :suicide:. Which I can't find because I have no idea where any sort of dropdown menu is for generals.

As soon as this all went down Chaos showed up, and I got put at war with Norsca who is currently finishing off Kislev. I've got twoish armies up in that region which are apparently going to go help out Kislev. I also still have the VC to deal with, although they've been pretty chill all game in a weird power struggle with Ostermark. They only own a few cities so they likely won't be too difficult to deal with, but I am also attacking mid/lategame VC troops with basic Empire infantry at the moment.

I've basically got 10-20ish turns before Norsca and Chaos finish off Kislev to use to rebuild my armies to be a bit less early game/lovely, and hopefully find a new area to try and hold them off at.

This is going great!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The dropdown for armies is above the minimap. I think it's the second icon from the left? One of those. It will list all armies and agents, and show their icons on the minimap.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just started an Empire game on hard and I am already fighting Skarsnik after about five turns due to him parking himself in front of the first city you take as Empire.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
For being mostly put together by CA, Norsca is a drat fun and creative faction. Makes me even more eager for what they'll have in Warhammer 2.

I took Throgg down to Vampire Country somewhat early on, with his starting trolls, two skinwolves, a wolf pack, a hound pack, four standard marauders, four spear marauders, four javelin marauders, a lore of metal wizard, and the wolf hero, and ran into two and and a half vampire stacks lead by Kemmler and Manfred. Mostly was zombie and skeleton chaff, but they also brought along a lot of ghouls and a crypt horror, vargheists, knights, hounds, and Manny's pet vargulf. It kind of made me wish I was more willing to pick more fights where the odds were stacked against me, since it was a pretty fun, hectic fight; every time I thought I had pulled through, another wave of undead would stagger out of the hills. Tho the downside was that so much chaff died that it lagged my computer whenever I looked in certain directions. The skin wolf hero racked up 500+ kills despite being low level using the special item you get from the frost wyrm. The bound spell it provides is ludicrous, and having it stuck on a fast combatant meant I could have him dive into a pile of chaff before casting it. Left a battle site marker with 5000+ casualties total behind. I wish I could peek at what kind of undead could be pulled from it.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 11, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6loWrABr8gA

PYF Norsca tunes

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jefnf8_4WsM

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Stop posting my favorite Norsca tunes before I post them

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tiler Kiwi posted:

For being mostly put together by CA, Norsca is a drat fun and creative faction. Makes me even more eager for what they'll have in Warhammer 2.

I took Throgg down to Vampire Country somewhat early on, with his starting trolls, two skinwolves, a wolf pack, a hound pack, four standard marauders, four spear marauders, four javelin marauders, a lore of metal wizard, and the wolf hero, and ran into two and and a half vampire stacks lead by Kemmler and Manfred. Mostly was zombie and skeleton chaff, but they also brought along a lot of ghouls and a crypt horror, vargheists, knights, hounds, and Manny's pet vargulf. It kind of made me wish I was more willing to pick more fights where the odds were stacked against me, since it was a pretty fun, hectic fight; every time I thought I had pulled through, another wave of undead wound stagger out of the hills. Tho the downside was that so much chaff died that it lagged my computer whenever I looked in certain directions. The skin wolf hero racked up 500+ kills despite being low level using the special item you get from the frost wyrm. The bound spell it provides is ludicrous, and having it stuck on a fast combatant meant I could have him dive into a pile of chaff before casting it. Left a battle site marker with 5000+ casualties total behind. I wish I could peek at what kind of undead could be pulled from it.

Did Kemmler drop Krell on you.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Can't go wrong with the classics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEGuHdKn0Lc

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did Kemmler drop Krell on you.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that.

He didn't. :smith: or i didn't notice

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Holy poo poo the chaos campaign is way crazier now. It's easier to get the entire north on your side, your finances aren't a problem, and your good units don't fight with each other. You really feel like a boss by the time you get down into the empire and your little norse allies are all over the place softening everything up so you can deliver the killing blow.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Gejnor posted:

This is so, but just reading about the tiny little things from this timeline makes me wish for cathay down the line at some point nontheless:

This sounds awesome.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Started a Vampire Counts campaign, this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than the last two times I played both as Orcs. Maybe they made the game as a whole easier.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im bummed out that all the characters i learned about and came to like from this game all just get killed in the lore

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im bummed out that all the characters i learned about and came to like from this game all just get killed in the lore

They may be planning on rolling a bit of it back. Given the massive success of the this game. They are even making a new edition of the role playing game for Fantasy. (Though they also want to support the new setting they made still)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 11, 2017

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Throgg > Wulfrik

Was taking it easy, mostly ignoring the frozen north and having a chill time stomping through Kislev and the northern Empire, doing some monster hunts, when Wulfrik started making a fuss after having united the entire north sans my part.
Went home, killed one of his small armies (not Wulfrik though) and he immediately chickened out and asked for peace, accepting a counter-offer for a confederation.

Thanks for doing all the work, idiot.

Like, I was worried about taking a stand against Chaos, but I think I'm good now. Got a huge warchest and a few more turns to go to build some massive armies.

The one true king is here.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Actually got to play some yesterday evening as Norsca. It seems to me that it's not necessarily a bad idea to just stick to 2 or 3 relatively close coastal settlements. For what I've played currently I just have Icebreaker Fjord and Longship Graveyard, I started by sacking Longship Graveyard then marched north and defeated the chieftain I started at war with and razed Doom Keep to the ground before forcing them to confederate netting me Longship Graveyard (which seems really difficult to attack without first taking Icebreaker Fjord). I figured that was pretty good then headed south and sacked Dietershafen and Salzenmund and used the cash to upgrade my settlements, then I waged war against the western-most Norscan tribe and a northern tribe who had colonized Doom Keep, basically just razing their border settlements and letting it fizzle until they either sued for peace or colonized the settlments again. Currently looking at a fully upgraded Icebreaker Fjord and what's starting to look like a pretty good army for Wulfric with war mammoths and poo poo after just having been on a trip to Bretonnia for Wulfric's sword (a pretty painless quest chain I say, especially since I wanted to go there anyways and him always being pretty close to the coast).

Doesn't seem like that bad of a strategy really to stick to an easily defended strip of coast and keep the neighboring Norscans alive for prestige wars to accumulate favor and to use the immediate south as a periodic cash cow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGoH0jEmyjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFaieNEs4c

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 11, 2017

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Skin Wolf Werekin are the fuckin best. They are absolutely disgusting in combat and great on the campaign map as well. I've been rampaging through Kislev and have their main stack holed up in Praag while I'm going around sacking and then razing the surrounding areas. I've got a Skin Wolf Werekin (Grydal the Fang in the Night aka the loving best name) sitting on Praag storming the garrison and assaulting the army and racking up huge kill counts. These poor soft southerners are trapped in the city while I ravage the countryside, and every night Grydal hunts. It's the best.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Throgg's warcry is "Taste my vomit!"

I loving love this game.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
These monster hunting quests sure are something

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Does it say it in that guy's voice

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
So apparently Archaon's big invasion won't spawn in the Chaos Corner until you complete the Norsca special campaign mechanic. I was at turn 170 or so (on a Very Hard campaign) with no Archaon because I was just derping around waiting for him to spawn so I could say "I'm the Everchosen now" and push him off his dumb horse. After way too long I figured I should get level 3 favor and do the stuff afterwards and sure enough that caused him to finally show up. Right into the waiting arms of 5 maxed out Norscan stacks including a level 30 Wulfrik and a level 24 Throgg. I had stockpiled up so much cash that I could withstand the ridiculous upkeep costs and then once I beat Archie the -75% upkeep kicked in and I went to +8000 gold a turn with 5 full stacks on the map. Everything is awesome.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

They may be planning on rolling a bit of it back. Given the massive success of the this game. They are even making a new edition of the role playing game for Fantasy. (Though they also want to support the new setting they made still)

Wait seriously? Do you have a link to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SkySteak posted:

Wait seriously? Do you have a link to that?

http://cubicle7.co.uk/cubicle-7-and-games-workshop-announce-new-edition-of-warhammer-fantasy-roleplay/

They've also been contracted to do an Age of Sigmar RPG, but that will be a different system and for some reason there's a lot less hype around it.

Personally I don't have experience with the RPGs Cubicle 7 publishes, but I've heard good things about their The One Ring and Doctor Who games and they did say they intend to make a successor to WFRP 2E in terms of setting and rules. For those who don't know it, the second edition of the RPG was set after the Storm of Chaos (a.k.a.: after Archaon got headbutted by Grimgor and went back crying to the Chaos Wastes, events that were retconned by the End of Times), so it will be a continuation of the good timeline.

• Locked thread