Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

pillsburysoldier posted:

Aemoured skeptic is taking it to task in another video.

Tryin' p hard to tie lovely cash grabs that literally no one likes to skeleton warriors

gotta blame sjws for something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Darkman Fanpage posted:

can't matt furie sue for this?

I sincerely hope so.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Equeen posted:

it was really cool when he mocked the movie for having a heavy-handed agenda, then turned around and devoted several minutes taking feminism down a peg

not defending emoji movie (lol), but surely he could have called out its poorly executed "girl power!!!" message without bring up everyone's favorite buzzword.

He wasn't exactly articulate about the girl power problem, but did point out that Fiona in Shrek (2001) handled it way better over a decade ago. I think there's a more general problem with "feminism" not exactly meaning the same thing between two people because of how frequently it's been abused online.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
shrek (1) was among the greatest movies of the aughts. prove me wrong.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Hi alt-right thread, I have a question: starting in the past 6 months or so, I keep seeing alt-right nazi idiots using the word "postmodernist" as some kind of insult, like, as a substitute word for "SJW" to make them look smarter. Does anyone know where this trend came from? Do these people have any idea what "postmodernism" means?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

smug n stuff posted:

Hi alt-right thread, I have a question: starting in the past 6 months or so, I keep seeing alt-right nazi idiots using the word "postmodernist" as some kind of insult, like, as a substitute word for "SJW" to make them look smarter. Does anyone know where this trend came from? Do these people have any idea what "postmodernism" means?

I'm not sure who started it, but Jordan Peterson seems to be one of the first. Here is him turning a basic cluelessness about Derrida into a random loving alt-right rant in 1 minute flat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2nqmQIfxc&t=107s

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
alt right is literally a postmodernist construct so lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

shrek (1) was among the greatest movies of the aughts. prove me wrong.

it had smash mouth in it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
just made myself look smarter by using the word construct :smug:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

refusing to understand Western philosophies helps to love it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

it had smash mouth in it

is that a good or bad thing to you because to me it's really good and understandable as smash mouth was at their peak nonironic popularity

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

smug n stuff posted:

My guess is they're using "postmodernist" as a shorthand for critical theory or "linguistic constructivism" and that sort of thing.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yep! "Meme magic" etc.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Cultural Marxism aka Cultural Bolshevism aka literal Nazi propaganda.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
love to defend western philosophy but know nothing about it

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Darkman Fanpage posted:

love to defend western philosophy but know nothing about it

Actually my avatar is a classy Roman statue

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That doesn't look like Cernovich.

Admiral Ray posted:

that ain't milo

the fact that two different names came up instantly means my point stands anyway

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

My guess is they're using "postmodernist" as a shorthand for critical theory or "linguistic constructivism" and that sort of thing.

this is way too generous, it's just mindless hate of liberal academics, they have zero idea what postmodernism is

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:nws: :nms:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvXu3_lWAAAx5ws.jpg:large:nms: :nws:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
that looks like the kind of picture id expect to find in a 40s+ craigslist m4m ad

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
looks like he's getting ready for a massage

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Identity politics reached its apotheosis within the last year through the Clinton campaign, and now the premature push to make Kamala Harris the 2020 nominee. It's a fundamentally liberal political formulation that is ironically shaped as a reaction to white supremacy and heteronormativity, that subsumes the individual within a group identity that confers a social privilege within its own in-group politics. It claims to value diversity, but flattens it within the narrow confines of pre-defined stereotypes. Which in the end, causes the symbolic to overtake the real.

The most important thing about Hillary Clinton was that she was a woman, and all of the symbolic values that carried. All misgivings about her past record of stated policies and ideology were dismissed as mere misogynies.

And Kamala Harris is all of those contradictory and self-defeating tendencies carried out to its logical conclusion. Supposedly Harris carries "progressive" bonafides just in the fact that she's a female poc, even though in reality she's a member of the professional bourgeois that directly profited from the carceral state which disproportionately persecutes minorities. As California AG she did more to persecute black and Hispanic people than any individual Republican voter could ever hope to do in an entire lifetime, and this is apparently supposed to be the progressive champion of Democratic politics. It's a transparent sham that absolves white liberals of the guilt of their privilege by performing the proper sacraments, and rewards middle class & bourgeois minorities for perpetuating the exploitative system.

Yet white, male, or hetero privilege is never even meaningfully challenged, because there is still a massive reactionary political formulation outside of the confines of identity politics which conveniently makes it impossible to challenge any of those oppressive cycles. Idpol folks are so obsessed with policing language and performing the correct deference, because their own internal politics are more important than reality. Democrats don't really care if they actually win, or are a party of power, because it's more important that they perform the role of a principled opposition. In reality, being able to overcome the opposition means having a willingness to engage in a discoursive dialectical process, that can realize an ideological synthesis which creates a greater liberationist politics. Otherwise you have to overthrow the system by force and make the opposition bend to the will of your agenda. Yet liberals reject the use of force out of hand, and they don't want to be discoursive because they know their ideology doesn't hold up under scrutiny. In any real sense they're politically impotent, but the result of that impotence is that white liberals get to have their cake and eat it too. They can keep benefiting from all of their race, sex, and class privileges while having the added benefit of being praised for claiming to oppose them.

Normal people can spot these contradictions, even if they lack the ability to articulate them. They can feel it. It's a political dead end.

the funny thing is that all throughout university and grad school, every important contemporary thinker i encountered got stuck on the fact that poststructuralism and postmodernism were not in any way opposed to capitalism; the former being easily co-opted and the latter being a fundamentally descriptive theory of the "cultural logic of late capitalism"

now we're seeing that play out, and surprise, the problem was the impossibility of class solidarity in the cultural context of the dominance of neoliberalism/neoconservatism

that said, intersectionality, the substance behind idpol, remains vitally important

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Aug 11, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Qu Appelle posted:

Are you a budding Neo-Nazi, just itching to go to your first rally? You have a fresh Kek flag, and a proudly handpainted Pepe sign, with only the dankest meme on it?

Better follow the dress code!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/599zmx/neo-nazi-to-troll-army-we-have-to-be-sexy-at-the-big-alt-right-rally

Here's the actual article on TDS: https://www.dailystormer.com/psa-when-the-internet-becomes-real-life-and-the-alt-right-hits-the-street-you-wanna-be-ready/

oh nice, they think being college republicans is the pathway to being cool

you don't have to post on /b to hear the discordian laughter of kek at this poo poo

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Aug 11, 2017

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

smug n stuff posted:

As others have pointed it out it's mostly coming from Peterson. Peterson's explanation of Postmodernism sounds closer to Andrew Breitbart's CULTURAL MARXISM/Frankfurt School paranoia rather than actual postmodernism.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It's also more cultural maxist than the SJWs.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I'm not sure who started it, but Jordan Peterson seems to be one of the first. Here is him turning a basic cluelessness about Derrida into a random loving alt-right rant in 1 minute flat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2nqmQIfxc&t=107s

Thanks. Jesus Christ is this guy an idiot. He literally says we live in the "best of all possible worlds" holy poo poo.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
HEAD TRICKSTER FOR THE POSTMODERNISTS

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

smug n stuff posted:

it refers to a wide ranging movement away from the idea that there is a single universal truth with an objective character which cultures, fields of study (ranging from linguistics to law to art to physics) to various degrees may be judged to either succeed or fail at accurately perceiving and articulating

instead, postmodernism (and poststructualism which is closely related and often technically what is actually meant) argues that object/subject dualism is itself, like all other standards of truth, historically and culturally specific; not only is truth socially constructed in both the sense of how we define "truth" and what we decide us true according to those definitions, but truth itself is not the only standard of value. for example, meaning is distinct from truth; science has an objective, empirical standard of truth from which meaning is explicitly excluded, whereas in literature truth might be defined as accurately representing the text, and meaning as the explication of subtext.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Montasque posted:

It's also more cultural maxist than the SJWs.
Yeah, I said this in the Kill All Normies thread, but the paranoia around Cultural Marxism is just a projection of their own goals and ambitions, more than a description of reality. They see themselves as Cultural Nazis, and base their strategy around that.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I went to the Frankfurt school to learn how to make rad hotdogs

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
ahh, boy. i'm just so tired of all these culture wars

Darkman Fanpage has issued a correction as of 03:33 on Aug 11, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
oh dear

i made the mistake of trying to define postmodernism and now azathoth is eating my ka

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
some idiot thought the Frankfurt School was an actual school

with teachers and desks and poo poo

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
its where all the sjws are made

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

its where all the sjws are made

mostly out of intestines, as it happens

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

i've never heard of this dipshit before this thread but he has 380,000 subscribers and a bunch of teenagers in the comments calling him daddy

what the gently caress happened to youtube

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i've never heard of this dipshit before this thread but he has 380,000 subscribers and a bunch of teenagers in the comments calling him daddy

what the gently caress happened to youtube

Youtube has been taken over by reactionaries.

The Kids are Alt-Right.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I don't know why I'm still listening to this speech if the dude's just making poo poo up, I can practically hear the parentheses around (((postmodernists)))
what a loving blowhard

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Montasque posted:

Youtube has been taken over by reactionaries.

The Kids are Alt-Right.

unfortunately, lack of shame is an adaptive advantage for white internet nerds using the video format

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

the best peterson video is the one where he starts crying over "the loss of faith in the individual"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

He retweeted the US Representative who wants the US to work with ISIS and wanted to hold a vote to give Alaska to Russia.

If alaska wants to choose to join russia that seems okay.