Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah it sucks that the Greens support drop seems to have matched NZF's due to the Labour leadership change, yet it will all be put down to Metiria.

That said, I don't think these polls capture the scope of the Greens' drop, since the polling period started before any of the poo poo hit the fan with them and ended before any of the resignations. I'd expect to see them around 6-7% in subsequent polls, barring any resurgence.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Kennedy Graham is trying to rejoin the party. Talks are currently in progress.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
His big achievement is being responsible for cross-party work on climate change, which like... hasn't amounted to poo poo lol

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He is 71 years old, the only reason for him to come back would be to deliver a farewell address midway through the next parliamentary term.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Even Kennedy Graham's own party has always struggled not to call him "Graham Kennedy".

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Given the rest of his family he probably isn't in a hurry to correct them.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Kennedy Graham is trying to rejoin the party. Talks are currently in progress.

lol

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

New Zealand's fairest and most impartial political/social commentator, Mike Hosking, is going to host all the debates. :downsgun:

There's a petition to remove him if anyone cares/thinks TVNZ will care https://www.change.org/p/tvnz-remove-mike-hosking-as-presenter-for-2017-election-debates/

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Kind of interesting that ardern & shaw are letting Winston do all the "petty" complaining stuff

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I vote no one cares

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Is there even anyone left on the Greens to vote for now

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Lol

quote:

Please sign the petition to remove Mike as presenter and replace him with any of the much less biased presenters New Zealand has to offer such as Jack Tame, John Campbell, Corin Dann, Hillary Barry or Nigel Latta.

Are there any neutral high profile journos left?

Also, why the hell does the moderator have to be high profile? Who gives a poo poo who they are just keep them on the debate rules

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

WarpedNaba posted:

Don't worry, Graeme Kennedy is coming back

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exmarx posted:

Kind of interesting that ardern & shaw are letting Winston do all the "petty" complaining stuff

I think it's clever, Winston can do his dog/bone act and jacinda gets to be above it all. not to mention we've just had an object lesson in What Matters for politicians so everything bill e did is potentially going to be viewed through that lens.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Minor update: it doesn't look like Kennedy Graham will be allowed back. It's going to go to a vote of the membership, and the general vibe I'm getting is "gently caress no".

If you have strong opinions on this (regardless of whether you're a formal member or not), you can hit up your local co-convenors: https://www.greens.org.nz/contact

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 10, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I had a customer roll on up to me and tell me I better vote national! Because the country will go to poo poo otherwise! When Helen Clark came into power his business lost a hundred thousand dollars! Then he took his $10000 dirt bike and towed it home in his VW amarok.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Eat the rich

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Marama Davidson is pretty good.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Golriz owns
https://twitter.com/golrizghahraman/status/895528036614914049

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If you have strong opinions on this (regardless of whether you're a formal member or not), you can hit up your local co-convenors: https://www.greens.org.nz/contact

The party leadership seem to have been pushing this instruction ever since they decided to back Metiria.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We just had two weeks of concentrated class warfare. The nation has already gone to poo poo and the only way out is pushing through this river of poo poo until we come out the other end clean.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

tumeke Marama

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Taitale posted:

Marama Davidson is pretty good.

It was certainly pretty heartbreaking being at Marama's Christchurch event just after the news about Metiria broke. But Metiria was definitely not the only one worth voting for. Marama, Mojo Mathers and a bunch of less prominent people are all fighting for the same goals.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

slinkimalinki posted:

It was certainly pretty heartbreaking being at Marama's Christchurch event just after the news about Metiria broke. But Metiria was definitely not the only one worth voting for. Marama, Mojo Mathers and a bunch of less prominent people are all fighting for the same goals.

I wanted to go to that but I was disgustingly tired last night. I spent close to an hour and a half standing around waiting for the hospital park and ride vans, which isn't the best thing for someone dealing with chronic pain.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Taitale posted:

I wanted to go to that but I was disgustingly tired last night. I spent close to an hour and a half standing around waiting for the hospital park and ride vans, which isn't the best thing for someone dealing with chronic pain.

The place was packed (which was good obvs) so you may have struggled to find a seat if you'd gone. So you probably made the right call not going.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

WarpedNaba posted:

I really like Eugenie Sage and Mojo is great. Too new to have had exposure to a lot of the rest but Golriz seems bonkers good.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mojo is a bit loony on some issues, like vaccination. Marama Davidson is awesome, Golriz Ghahraman is great, I like Gareth Hughes, and further down their list Jack McDonald is awesome, as is Leilani Tamu (not that she has a shot at parliament). Tbh I've gained a lot of respect for James Shaw too, he really pulled for Metiria through all this. Like beyond just backing her.

I think their main issue going forward (either inside or outside of govt) is lack of experience.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Mojo Mathers unironically wants to end all animal testing (even for research) in New Zealand.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
On the upside of banning testing on animals for human stuff is that it would create an incentive to test in other ways - like developing computer models or even organic models to test stuff on. We would lead the world. We could test more often with greater efficiency. It would be amazing. Silver linings and all that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't trust a computer model to get me my no more tears shampoo.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
That's what human trials are for ;)

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

klen dool posted:

On the upside of banning testing on animals for human stuff is that it would create an incentive to test in other ways - like developing computer models or even organic models to test stuff on. We would lead the world. We could test more often with greater efficiency. It would be amazing. Silver linings and all that.

That is a long winded way to say outsource to country with no human or animal rights laws.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

klen dool posted:

This already exists but is not and will not be a substitute for animal testing. Banning animal testing is so incredibly dumb it's hard to even grasp all the ways it would gently caress up just our agricultural industry for starters.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Oh, won't somebody please think of the agro industry??

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ok. That guy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Don't sign your posts

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I would think the industry the grows our food would be popular with goons.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

It would literally decimate scientific research in New Zealand (such as it is).

Moreover, if you're against animal testing I hope you never take any medicines ever

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Of course I don't because vaccines and medicines are just a form of government control :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Of course I don't because vaccines and medicines are just a form of government control :byodood:

Man, why does Hamilton exist again

• Locked thread