Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

there definitely should not be another thread for this issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The democrats only have two or three threads. We can have another when we reach 50 thousand monthly dues-paying members.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

okay a few things to start: danny was a labor organizer for 40 years with CWA and is famous among labor circles (not twitter) for organizing telephone and airplane workers. the verizon wireless deal that brought 40,000 workers (or whatever the number was i cant remember) was his work.

as he was promoted through CWA he was assigned to negotiate bringing CLEAT into the union, which he lobbied against. after that he was assigned as the national liason between CLEAT and the CWA which altogether occupied about 5% of his time.

his good labor history is extensive and accomplished as gently caress, and his CLEAT connections were mainly used for good ends (getting police to stop beating strikers, stopping a prison from tattooing hiv+ inmates, etc).

he worked for CLEAT for a few years after he retired from CWA but he never negotiated a contract, and it was mainly organized around using his connections to further progressive causes between local governments and the police. i dont agree with this but it's not the narrative that people have been spreading on twitter.

the npc has been asking him not to release a statement but we're all about to start working on a statement with him. the narrative is out of control right now and hes being framed as something he's not.

i sincerely think he didnt mean to obscure his work with CLEAT. nobody else had extensive work histories released and he wanted to focus on the strengths he's famous for. he probably has the most extensive arrest record of anyone on the NPC and is the real deal.

danny is known in labor and his little work with CLEAT is no secret. i disagree with the notion that police be allowed to organize but we are not a dem centralist org and he voted for prison abolition. this guy is good and i trust him.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

there will be an extensive biography put together as soon as possible

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

gonna drink at the bar with my friends for a little bit but i will answer what i know for questions

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

jarofpiss posted:

gonna drink at the bar with my friends for a little bit but i will answer what i know for questions

are u a cop

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is p weird that i guess candidates weren't required to provide any kind of deep background on themselves and nobody else bothered and now people are upset that nobody bothered to look things up for them before they voted

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The only problem thing I see is the CLEAT work after CWA.

I hope to see like a timeline of what was done regarding the relationship listed for greatest clarity.
If it was campaigns of reformation then that's no different than a politician using their power for the community to attempt to introduce similar reformations via the system.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

jarofpiss posted:

i sincerely think he didnt mean to obscure his work with CLEAT. nobody else had extensive work histories released and he wanted to focus on the strengths he's famous for. he probably has the most extensive arrest record of anyone on the NPC and is the real deal.
i know what you're saying re: work history however the main problem was that it was extensive and detailed where he wanted it to be, but also very vague in the area people have political disagreements with.

i've heard lots of good things about him, he seemed rather friendly when he spoke to the table i was at (although he made some incorrect albeit friendly and typical progressive old guy assumptions about one of our delegates), but it seems to be either the most unlucky area to gloss over for the sake of brevity or it was dishonest to some extent, which is where it becomes a problem since there are people who i personally know would have voted differently. if the good things i've been hearing are 100% accurate, he should have been able to make a case for it instead of dodging it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
The last 20 pages of this thread have been leftism.txt.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

R. Mute posted:

maybe stow away the pitchfork for just a second.

what kind of communist are you supposed to be

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

ThndrShk2k posted:

The only problem thing I see is the CLEAT work after CWA.

I hope to see like a timeline of what was done regarding the relationship listed for greatest clarity.
If it was campaigns of reformation then that's no different than a politician using their power for the community to attempt to introduce similar reformations via the system.

i agree that it kind of sucks but that is exactly the way danny worked it, dont get me wrog CLEAT sucks, but danny wouldn't advocate for bad poo poo within it and i think his other activist and labor history speaks for itself when it comes to trusting him

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
not being forthright is not cool but i also don't care much about this at all. i am very interested in what our next step post-convention to fight capitalism is tho

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

It is p weird that i guess candidates weren't required to provide any kind of deep background on themselves and nobody else bothered and now people are upset that nobody bothered to look things up for them before they voted

He campaigned during the convention by handing out pamphlets detailing his extensive history as a union organizer. It listed everything in detail except for his work with CLEAT. Im sure now you undestand why prople thought he might have been omitting that part of his work history on purpose.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the way he explained was that he crafted his bio in the same manner as the rest of the candidates who did not list extensive work history.

he didnt hide anything about CLEAT, he literally thought people know who he is

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

the way he explained was that he crafted his bio in the same manner as the rest of the candidates who did not list extensive work history.

lol, okay so at least one lesson to be learned from this is that the outgoing NPC should vet the resumes of the candidates

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
If this is how we react to a dude who worked with CLEAT ending up on the NPC, I shudder to think what will happen when actual COINTELPRO starts.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

rudecyrus posted:

If this is how we react to a dude who worked with CLEAT ending up on the NPC, I shudder to think what will happen when actual COINTELPRO starts.

i would hope they would hide it better than the dude who's linkedin was the second result for googling him

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i would hope they would hide it better than the dude who's linkedin was the second result for googling him

To be fair, the LinkedIn is fake and was created less than a week before the convention, so... yeah.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

rudecyrus posted:

just have constant but comradely vigilance and work on building relationships with other members

we had one member immediately go to panic 'we need to vet everyone' mode and i'm glad that was shot down quick since that'd be a miserable culture and definitely would not be something that's someone who is just getting into an org would tolerate

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wasnt that fake?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

2019: "gently caress, how did we elect a Grand Dragon to the NPC?"

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

National gave delegates 6 days to read all the candidate provided material and all material on everything to be voted on.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Agean90 posted:

wasnt that fake?

it was most definitely someone knowing his history and deciding to put it out there, the question is if it was an internal or an external wrecker

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

2019: "gently caress, how did we elect a Grand Dragon to the NPC?"

i thought the dude just liked robes fuk

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
ngl, at this point I'm not sure it matters because damage has been done and it's been perceived as enough of a breach of trust that idk if him staying on the NPC is viable without hurting the credibility of the DSA in some way. His seat on the NPC isn't worth branches breaking off.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Agean90 posted:

i thought the dude just liked robes fuk

Look white supremacists deserve to be in unions too okay

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

jarofpiss posted:

Not for nothing, but "Everybody already knows enough about me that my very brief history of working with CLEAT is uncontroversial common knowledge" is not an assumption that makes much sense combined with the desire to write an introduction highlighting the big deal union work that he's famous for. Shouldn't everyone else already know that too?

eta: Like I swear I am not interested in just slamming Danny for the hell of it. He sounds like overall a very solid guy, but the thing is that people who don't know him the way you know him have no reason to extend the benefit of the doubt this much. I'm just trying to convey how this look from the outside, because it's not all screaming twitter goblins, there are some real concerns about trust.

GunnerJ has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Aug 11, 2017

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

Not for nothing, but "Everybody already knows enough about me that my very brief history of working with CLEAT is uncontroversial common knowledge" is not an assumption that makes much sense combined with the desire to write an introduction highlighting the big deal union work that he's famous for. Shouldn't everyone else already know that too?

totally

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

GunnerJ posted:

I was trying to write this but couldn't make it this conciliatory

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Raskolnikov38 posted:

not being forthright is not cool but i also don't care much about this at all. i am very interested in what our next step post-convention to fight capitalism is tho

Same.

Got to get stuff ready for the meet and greet I'm planning in two weeks at the library in my town.

Because I'm getting to lazy to drive 30 minutes to the meetings, so my solution is to build a chapter in my town and have meetings here.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

TrilliontonNixon posted:

This whole thing sucks.

I remember just a few hours after the convention someone was talking about the possibility of a Fith Internationale. Can't we go back to those sunny days, before it all went sour?

If this is the worst thing to come out of DSACon we're doing pretty well. The issue seems huge now, and we should take it seriously. But on the scale that matters--the scale of class struggle across centuries--this will be a forgotten blip.

Keep hope comrade :)

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
also, not trying to stir things up, but if npc asked you not to put out a statement, doesn't it seem like a bad idea to put out a statement? it seems like that's just gonna cause more ill will

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
If it turns out that anyone in the NPC has ever watched anime and didn't mention that in their bio, I'm leaving the loving DSA

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Slanderer posted:

If it turns out that anyone in the NPC has ever watched anime and didn't mention that in their bio, I'm leaving the loving DSA

same, except "never" instead of "ever"

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

platzapS posted:

If this is the worst thing to come out of DSACon we're doing pretty well. The issue seems huge now, and we should take it seriously. But on the scale that matters--the scale of class struggle across centuries--this will be a forgotten blip.

Keep hope comrade :)

yeah, despite the online poo poo fest this has caused, this is p much my feelings on the whole thing as well

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I remember just a few hours after the convention someone was talking about the possibility of a Fith Internationale.

keep fetonte and drum whoever said this out

Tim Pawlenty posted:

he seemed rather friendly when he spoke to the table i was at (although he made some incorrect albeit friendly and typical progressive old guy assumptions about one of our delegates)

leaving it this vague is making me picture a guy doing extremely italian hand gestures and calling people "broads"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Minty posted:

yeah, despite the online poo poo fest this has caused, this is p much my feelings on the whole thing as well

:same:

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

leaving it this vague is making me picture a guy doing extremely italian hand gestures and calling people "broads"

he greeted a palestinian delegate warmly then he went into how many muslims are in the austin chapter, it was very well meaning but came across in a cringe manner although with a name like his i can understand your imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Minty posted: