Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's Trump who doesn't understand what's going on when North Korea promises to collect a million American skulls or whatever, like he can't comprehend the idea of a face culture even though his npd pretty much works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Trump spends 90% of his time in the white house puttering around and scribbling on the walls with crayon as aides scramble trying to keep him from sticking a fork in a power outlet. I really am worried about Trump just launching missiles at North Korea and starting a loving massive war for no reason. He doesn't just have trouble understanding North Korean tactics, the guy can't figure out basic diplomacy at all.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

business hammocks posted:

It's Trump who doesn't understand what's going on when North Korea promises to collect a million American skulls or whatever, like he can't comprehend the idea of a face culture even though his npd pretty much works the same way.

I mean that's the long and short of it, isn't it? Trump can't comprehend North Korea because they operate on the same principles as him and recognizing that they're all talk and no walk would be admitting the same of himself.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm starting to wonder if Trump knew the Apprentice was not real

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

business hammocks posted:

It's basically the real version of that bullshit story about Baron Trump having a panic attack because he honestly believed Kathy Griffin beheaded his father until someone explained to him how photoshop worked.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/08/10/heres-the-memo-that-blew-up-the-nsc/

quote:

The full memo, dated May 2017, is titled “POTUS & Political Warfare.” It provides a sweeping, if at times conspiratorial, view of what it describes as a multi-pronged attack on the Trump White House.

Trump is being attacked, the memo says, because he represents “an existential threat to cultural Marxist memes that dominate the prevailing cultural narrative.” Those threatened by Trump include “‘deep state’ actors, globalists, bankers, Islamists, and establishment Republicans.”

The memo is part of a broader political struggle inside the White House between current National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and alt-right operatives with a nationalist worldview who believe the Army general and his crew are subverting the president’s agenda.

Though not called out by name, McMaster was among those described in the document as working against Trump, according to a source with firsthand knowledge of the memo and the events. Higgins, the author, is widely regarded as a Flynn loyalist who dislikes McMaster and his team.

“It was about H.R. McMaster,” the source said. “So, when he starts reading it, he knows it’s him and he fires [Higgins].”

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm not huge into totalitarianism but if we could make it a death sentence for government workers to use "meme" in official communication I wouldn't complain.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm not huge into totalitarianism but if we could make it a death sentence for government workers to use "meme" in official communication I wouldn't complain.

I'd sponsor this bill, were such powers within my frame of capacity.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Trump knew the Apprentice was not real

This is all so that Trump can look at a nuke and whisper 'You're fired'

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

quote:

The memo calls out those pushing for rights “based on sex or ethnicity,” which is a “direct assault on the very idea of individual human rights and natural law around which the Constitution was framed.” It also says that “transgender acceptance” is “denying a person the right to declare the biological fact of one’s sex.”

lmao

Also I love how they're all offended that there was a crackdown on them leaking poo poo to right-wing bloggers.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is all so that Trump can look at a nuke and whisper 'You're fired'

He wishes

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

They're wrong, but they're not completely wrong-Trump most assuredly does pose a threat to things a lot of people believe in, such as the economy, global stability, and yes, the continuation of complex life on Earth.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DreamShipWrecked posted:

oddly enough, the gentleman in this case used it perfectly correctly

he's a shithead, but he managed to successfully use a term in its appropriate definition

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 11, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Memes are killing America faster than Climate Change, so makes sense to keep government workers from using "meme" too.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

South Park messed things up

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

pillsburysoldier posted:

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

can someone explain to me what in the holy gently caress "denying a person the right to declare the biological fact of one’s sex” means? that sounds like some sort of dumbass "well everyone has the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex" bullshit

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DC Murderverse posted:

can someone explain to me what in the holy gently caress "denying a person the right to declare the biological fact of one’s sex” means? that sounds like some sort of dumbass "well everyone has the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex" bullshit

It means "I'm not allowed to tell trans people that their gender identity is illegitimate."

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

DC Murderverse posted:

It means he was mad about having to use their preferred pronoun.

Yes the source of his entire ideology is anger over gendering people how they prefer.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DC Murderverse posted:

"How dare you not be considerate of my hatred"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If trans activists have their way, it will be illegal to say you're a man who was born a man.

If the gay agenda has its way, it will be illegal to have heterosexual sex or be Christian.

If suffragettes have their way, it will be illegal for men to vote.

If feminists have their way, it will be illegal to pee standing up.

etc etc etc, it's the same old story anytime anyone except them wants human rights

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can assure you, these people are not "government workers" especially the latter.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It means he was mad about having to use their preferred pronoun.

Yes the source of his entire ideology is anger over gendering people how they prefer.

"Did you ever use someone's nickname when they asked you to?"

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The Glumslinger posted:

"How dare you not be considerate of my hatred"

They don't even think it's hatred though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i feel like all it would take to stop that would be to continually misgender those people until they present to you an original copy of their birth certificate stating their biological gender because "i can't really be sure what gender you are. you know how tricky those transgender people can be, you might be one right now without my knowing".

lol nothing will stop them except the sweet release of death

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't think distracting people from the POTUS being an idiot by having be an even bigger idiot is gonna play out well.

this is the manuever is central to his administration

not purposefully of course

Telephones fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 11, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

pillsburysoldier posted:

I truly believe that South Park is why one of my friends is completely politically apathetic. He used to use that show to justifies beliefs. Over time, it seems that he might be getting over that. Hopefully.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

So it seems large and extremely important parts of the US government are just completely collapsing on the inside due to negligence. That's um. Concerning.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Covok posted:

I truly believe that South Park is why one of my friends is completely politically apathetic. He used to use that show to justifies beliefs. Over time, it seems that he might be getting over that. Hopefully.

As someone in TGRS pointed out, South Park was more or less singlehandedly responsible for re-introducing "Jew" as an "acceptable" negative epithet.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

pillsburysoldier posted:

They don't even think it's hatred though.

Yeah this is the key thing to understanding poo poo like "political correctness."

They unironically believe everyone else is as awful as they are, but it's really just "truth telling" and other people are trying to socially engineer the "truth" away by making it impolite to say. It's also why they get so defensive about racism accusations. It's not racism, it's just the truth. :smug: Or so the theory goes.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I realize this is a joke but do therapists make these sorts of deep statements about the world? Or have the ones I visited sucked because they just ewanted to focus on "everything will be ok" and "you're an awesome person"?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

As someone in TGRS pointed out, South Park was more or less singlehandedly responsible for re-introducing "Jew" as an "acceptable" negative epithet.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker are terrible people for all the crap they're done. And they'll never have to own up to it ever.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

AceOfFlames posted:

I realize this is a joke but do therapists make these sorts of deep statements about the world? Or have the ones I visited sucked because they just ewanted to focus on "everything will be ok" and "you're an awesome person"?

It's not like it's presented on TV, but if your therapist knows you well they might be willing to come out with some declarative statement like that. In your case, your therapist(s) mightn't have had enough information, or thought you would be too fragile for some real truths. Or you're just not that hosed up.

That being said, I went to a group therapy session a few months back and the dude was making declarative statements off the bat. They were mostly pretty uncontroversial statements about addiction, or else restating what one person already said to someone else.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Only time I've seen counselors they just asked me questions which would get me to continue talking and then gave me some lame worksheets that I threw away. It worked, I'm cured!

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

AceOfFlames posted:

I went to group therapy for a couple years with two very competent psychologists and members who suffered some pretty horrifying abuse in their lives. The therapists frequently said things to this effect, that their behaviour was a survival strategy for a genuinely awful environment - one they are no longer in, and their survival strategies are now causing more harm than good.

So, yeah, I could see a therapist say something like that, depending on what your issues are.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

marshmonkey posted:

The only man left that can save the world:

It just occurred to me that this douche is buddies with both Kim Jong Un AND Trump.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah this is the key thing to understanding poo poo like "political correctness."

They unironically believe everyone else is as awful as they are, but it's really just "truth telling" and other people are trying to socially engineer the "truth" away by making it impolite to say. It's also why they get so defensive about racism accusations. It's not racism, it's just the truth. :smug: Or so the theory goes.

Also "logic".

I'm gonna smack some SJWs down with my LOGIC

As though the people fighting for human rights don't understand logical arguments or the perfectly well documented reasons why the status quo is the status quo. Yes I realize asking you to change your behavior doesn't have much to do with "logic"; but it does have something to do with having compassion for people other than yourself though, irrational as that may be

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
"Obama wasn't tough enough on North Korea but also Hillary is a total warmonger who would deffo declare war against Russia which she sold all our uranium to."

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How is it that people don't get that it doesn't matter who is chief of staff or how things get organized when the man at the top of the organization is a poo flinging baby? That central fact doesn't change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

D.C politicos and other associated media types desperately want a return to polite discourse but don't actually really care too much about actions. If Trump was doing the exact same stuff but giving clever and witty statements to a press pool instead of being a dick on twitter he'd be getting a lot less flack. They are always hoping that THIS will be the moment when he becomes G.W. Bush.

People should never forget it was the New York Times that helped Cheney make a public case to go into Iraq.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 11, 2017

• Locked thread