Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm glad someone explained who this Nick Robinson was because the only one I know of presents the Today show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Robinson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cythereal posted:

You do realize that people who believe in higher powers would be annoyed if not offended by you blandly calling them fictional, right?

The mentality that religion is false and needs to be proven such is just as annoying as anyone of any religious inclination who tries to convert everyone.

It's all down to belief systems - and you believing there are no higher powers is a belief system itself. People of any belief system who are outspoken about it and insist on the primacy of their system get really annoying.

Well, if they don't want me to call their gods fictional, they can demonstrate their gods' existence. I don't know if I've ever said it here on SA, but on other social media and in real life interactions, I've always made it very clear that empirical, peer reviewed evidence is all I need for me to take someone's claims in gods seriously.

I'd be happy to believe in someone's gods, provided they can actually demonstrate they exist. Until then, I'm gonna treat gods the same way I treat the tooth fairy.

Jurgan posted:

Saying "fictional" three times in a row isn't very convincing, and suggests you don't care to hear others' ideas. However, if you really want to know, here's my answer:

Im fine hearing other's ideas...but if those ideas are centered around belief in gods...please see above. You're gonna have to demonstrate that those gods are unique among the thousands of others humanity has invented over the millennia. Show me something concrete and testable/repeatable, and I'll be happy to believe those gods are real.

jivjov has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Aug 11, 2017

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

jivjov posted:

Well, if they don't want me to call their gods fictional, they can demonstrate their gods' existence. I don't know if I've ever said it here on SA, but on other social media and in real life interactions, I've always made it very clear that empirical, peer reviewed evidence is all I need for me to take someone's claims in gods seriously.

I'd be happy to believe in someone's gods, provided they can actually demonstrate they exist. Until then, I'm gonna treat gods the same way I treat the tooth fairy.

I wish more people treated it like the tooth fairy and shut the gently caress up about it after 7 years old except when a movie about the subject starring The Rock comes out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Grem posted:

I wish more people treated it like the tooth fairy and shut the gently caress up about it after 7 years old except when a movie about the subject starring The Rock comes out.

Same. But when the White House is posting photos of prayer meetings in the Oval Office, and pastors are claiming that bombing Kim Jong Un is mandated by gods....I'm gonna have to be equally vocal in my requests that they either back up their claims or shut up about it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jivjov posted:

Same. But when the White House is posting photos of prayer meetings in the Oval Office, and pastors are claiming that bombing Kim Jong Un is mandated by gods....I'm gonna have to be equally vocal in my requests that they either back up their claims or shut up about it.

You can be as vocal as you like, it's just that no one gives a poo poo about your opinion.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm a little behind on this, but can we go back to those "taxation is theft" guy for a second? Forget the whole "anyone who benefits for taxes is a commie" part. We'll even let him slide on "commies aren't human" for now, even though by his definition and staggering ignorance of what taxes are actually used for, that's basically everyone.

He calls taxation "literally stealing your money at gunpoint".

I... what? :thunk:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That's a pretty standard libertarian stance; which, if you squint at it funny, isn't entirely inaccurate. If you refuse to pay taxes, the IRS is going to come after you, potentially leading to wages being garnished, property being seized, or potentially imprisonment; all backed with the implied threat of force from the police department if you don't comply.

Now...it's a stretch to say "laws are enforced at gunpoint"....but that's basically the cornerstone of anti-government types

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm a little behind on this, but can we go back to those "taxation is theft" guy for a second? Forget the whole "anyone who benefits for taxes is a commie" part. We'll even let him slide on "commies aren't human" for now, even though by his definition and staggering ignorance of what taxes are actually used for, that's basically everyone.

The reasoning goes something like, if you refuse to pay your taxes then the IRS (Assuming they're American) will issue court proceedings against you. If you refuse to go to court, which you will because you don't believe in the IRS, then the police will come an arrest you for tax evasion. The police have guns, ergo they're stealing your money at gun point.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Because his corporate utopia wouldn't be filled with bounty hunters making him empty his wallet at actual gunpoint.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Where do these people imagine they'd be in the world if the world did turn into a corporate hellscape? Like, they would be on the same rung on the ladder as everyone else, the bottom one. I'm pretty sure a youtube-commentator libertarian would not be immediately recruited for a position as CEO or whatever.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ularg posted:

Because his corporate utopia wouldn't be filled with bounty hunters making him empty his wallet at actual gunpoint.

You just yell 'I do no consent' at them until your paid-for-police turn up and enforce the laws you've paid up for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Biplane posted:

Where do these people imagine they'd be in the world if the world did turn into a corporate hellscape? Like, they would be on the same rung on the ladder as everyone else, the bottom one. I'm pretty sure a youtube-commentator libertarian would not be immediately recruited for a position as CEO or whatever.

The stone on the other corner of that belief is that obviously they're cool and skilled and talented enough to take care of themselves in the (government-enforced)lawless wasteland.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feels like libertarianism and militant atheism are both manifestations of dunning-kruger made into entire philosophies. "I'm smarter than everyone else, and in the new world I would be top dog. Everything is so simple, why doesn't everyone listen to me?" When really it's just that the world is actually a lot more complicated and stuff like religions and systems of government are the end results of thousands of years of smart humans coming up with intricate frameworks for large groups of diverse people of all kinds of intelligence and personal morals to live together in a state of compromise.

"Nobody could have known health care could be so complicated"

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Religion and spirituality in general is such an incredibly important part of human history and experience, and Internet atheists are routinely dumb as poo poo because they don't seem to understand this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reminder: the world started out 100% liberal and it resulted in status quo. All available evidence points to liberalism as futile.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Low Desert Punk posted:

Religion and spirituality in general is such an incredibly important part of human history and experience, and Internet atheists are routinely dumb as poo poo because they don't seem to understand this

I dunno, I see a lot more "religion was how we made sense of the world before scientific literacy" than I do "religion is inherently bullshit and never should have existed at all".

Kids believe in Santa because it's a comforting little tale of how presents end up under the tree, then they grow up. Humanity believed in elemental gods or pantheons or any number of monotheistic deities....and then we grew up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kids also grow up looking forward to Christmas all year because it's magical.

There is value in there somewhere.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Biplane posted:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Science is a tool to understand the natural world, it's not a force of itself. It's like a rope or a stick, you use it to help you out, it's how you use it. Worshiping 'science' as a concept is silly, because it's not an opposite to the Abrahamic faiths. Christians have done a lot for science in the last 2000 years, so acting like anyone who disagrees with you is a dumb luddite who bursts out screaming is intellectually dishonest at best.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OldMemes posted:

Science is a tool to understand the natural world, it's not a force of itself. It's like a rope or a stick, you use it to help you out, it's how you use it. Worshiping 'science' as a concept is silly, because it's not an opposite to the Abrahamic faiths. Christians have done a lot for science in the last 2000 years, so acting like anyone who disagrees with you is a dumb luddite who bursts out screaming is intellectually dishonest at best.

I loving love a rope or a stick.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Participating in society without paying your taxes is theft.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Master Twig posted:

Participating in society without paying your taxes is theft.

Society is theft.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh wow wait a minute hold on...

THEFT

IS

SOCIETY

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh no actually that doesn't work.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
*readjusts giant burlap sack*

I'm sorry Jerry Cotton, what were you saying?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OldMemes posted:

The modern conflict is not science v religion; its religion v other religions or lack of religion. We've got ISIS trying to enforce a radicalized version of Islam, we've got evangelicals demanding we legislate based on what their gods want for the country, etc.

Yes, there certainly are still some anti-science luddites that justify anti-science rhetoric with "my gods did this/designed this/set this in motion", but that's not a huge issue in a world where people can fairly instantly look up scientifically backed information to debunk it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

The modern conflict is not science v religion; its religion v other religions or lack of religion. We've got ISIS trying to enforce a radicalized version of Islam, we've got evangelicals demanding we legislate based on what their gods want for the country, etc.

Yes, there certainly are still some anti-science luddites that justify anti-science rhetoric with "my gods did this/designed this/set this in motion", but that's not a huge issue in a world where people can fairly instantly look up scientifically backed information to debunk it.

I'm so glad that nobody is putting out false information and junk science that can be discovered on our magic info boxes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
just lol if you believe in deities like the jesus, free market, santa clause or lowtax

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

just lol if you believe in deities like the jesus, free market, santa clause or lowtax

Lowtax is real, and good, and he's my friend.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

jivjov posted:

hahahaha you think people actually look up scientifically backed information as opposed to just finding things that support their existing worldview

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Of course not; no honest man needs more than 10 deities.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Serious topics are fine in PYF but this has been going on for two pages and people aren't posting content. ABC, Always Be Content-posting

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Serious topics are fine in PYF but this has been going on for two pages and people aren't posting content. ABC, Always Be Content-posting

That buy needs suspenders for his swimming trunks.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

And I bet you wonder why atheists have such a lovely reputation.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Don't try to censor his vagina bones.

Or something.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Fathis Munk posted:

Don't try to censor his vagina bones.

Or something.

What? Vagina bones? What?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

toanoradian posted:

There was some dumb review of a video game that had a couple female character's pelvic bones either covered up or the drawn lines straight up removed; the reviewer called them "vagina bones" and a meme was born.

Edit: ah, it wasn't even a review, haha, just a dumb tweet

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volcott posted:

Lowtax is real, and good, and he's my friend.
HAH! I don't believe in anything I haven't seen with my own two peepers. It's why I don't believe in such foolish things as Religion, the moon landing or New Zealand.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Of course not; no honest man needs more than 10 deities.
I believed in Loka, Óðinn, Þór, Captain America and a whole heap of others pal

toanoradian posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She's got a boney vagina Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jivjov posted:

Im fine hearing other's ideas...but if those ideas are centered around belief in gods...please see above. You're gonna have to demonstrate that those gods are unique among the thousands of others humanity has invented over the millennia. Show me something concrete and testable/repeatable, and I'll be happy to believe those gods are real.

Back when I followed Bitcoin closely (in 2013 and early 2014), there were discussions about the orgins of Bitcoin, and the NSA was frequently mentioned. Gavin Andresen (the "head" of Bitcoin after Satoshi's disappearance) attended a public CIA event where he held a talk about the potential of cryptocurrencies. This was controversial, and made many bitcoiners question his allegiances.

If you take a look at mainstream movies and tv shows now (e.g. Westworld, Mr. Robot), many of them are about the people waking up, banding together and taking down the Evil Establishment. We see this same theme reflected in the real world as well, the "anti establishment" President Trump being the most notable example. In the newest season of Silicon Valley (great show, made by Mike Judge) the main character even invents "A New Internet", which is based on the real technology Ethereum (derivative of Bitcoin), and which "can't be hacked or controlled by the evil establishment". Vitalik Buterin, the inventor of Ethereum, recently met with Vladimir Putin to discuss the technology. J.P. Morgan Chase has also shown a keen interest in this specific type of crypto currency, and it's no secret that they're involved in the development of Ethereum. Other banks and large financial institutions are also jumping aboard the crypto train.

In "Chained to the rhythm", Katy Perry sings about how fake our lives are, and that we're all like mindless drones just blindly consuming pop culture, thinking we're free, while we're really walking in chains. But then there's a guest appearance by Skip Marley, Bob Marley's son, and he's essentially singing about how the Evil Establishment has unwittingly awakened a slumbering giant (the sleeping, mindless drone masses), and that this mass of people is now about to riot.

When I look at the current Bitcoin price (and the long term logarithmic chart), I get the sense that some huge events are about to happen on this Earth. Is it a coincidence that artists like The Weeknd and Harry Styles (from One Direction) appear to be warning us, in their hit songs, about impending disaster -- while things seemingly are heating up in world politics as well? If we look at the headlines of the MSM and the controlled "alt media", a huge war might break out any minute now.

What will the "riots" look like? People scrambling to empty their bank accounts, hoping to put all their fiat into Bitcoin, but the banks shut down, thus making it impossible for the Average Joe's to empty their accounts?

The Economist magazine (partly owned by Rothschilds, supposedly) "warned" us of a global currency by 2018.