Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

Axiem posted:

As it should. But instead of trying to create a hacked-together bespoke solution for yourself, you should be working to get laws and regulations in place that protect the privacy and security of everyone, including yourself. These services aren't going away, and won't be replaced with custom things by most people.

What is hacked together? I'm not trying to be aggressive, I just don't see why this is such a hard problem to self fix. Owncloud does Dropbox file storage plus contacts and calendars all built in. Plus I have spare 2tb hard drives that I can now just assign to be a cloud server. There's no work for me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Boxcryptor has been solid for me for cloud encryption

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
What is hacked together? I've got some round-ish wheels, something resembling a windshield. It'd really be no hassle at all to install them in my car if only they'd sell me some duct tape.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Is there an macOS native app similar to Keepnote?

Theoretically I can run it on macOS but the install process looks like a bit of a beast, including installing a bunch of linux stuff because it won't play nice w/ OSX's windowing system

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

maskenfreiheit posted:

Is there an macOS native app similar to Keepnote?

Theoretically I can run it on macOS but the install process looks like a bit of a beast, including installing a bunch of linux stuff because it won't play nice w/ OSX's windowing system

OneNote is free on the App Store.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's a small, niggling thing, but it's one of the things I can't stand about Apple and their little walled gardens.

I've got a nice little Taotronics Bluetooth headset, and when it's hooked up to my iPhone, I get its battery level in a neat little graph.

When it's hooked up to my rMBP running Sierra.. what the hell, nothing?

The iOS team should share more with the macOS team, sometimes it's like the iOS team must be like the first guys moved into the spaceship building with plenty of room and all the amenities. The macOS team is probably housed in a pup tent next to a sewer drain in the low rent part of Cupertino.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

I've got a nice little Taotronics Bluetooth headset, and when it's hooked up to my iPhone, I get its battery level in a neat little graph.

When it's hooked up to my rMBP running Sierra.. what the hell, nothing?

Did you try clicking the Bluetooth menu and mousing over their submenu under 'Devices'? That's where Apple keyboard, mouse, AirPods etc display their battery. If your iPhone is showing you the battery % then I would assume it would show there too. But maybe not.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Did you try clicking the Bluetooth menu and mousing over their submenu under 'Devices'? That's where Apple keyboard, mouse, AirPods etc display their battery. If your iPhone is showing you the battery % then I would assume it would show there too. But maybe not.

It doesn't. I just tested my Bose Soundlink headset and a Plantronics Voyager Pro (one at a time). Both of them report battery levels in the iPhone, but the Bluetooth Pref Pane on my rMBP doesn't report levels. Even <option> clicking the Bluetooth menubar icon doesn't show battery information.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 6, 2017

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I'm looking for electronic music software that you can write the music in 3D space with a stereo observer and the instruments or audio samples can travel and include the doppler effect.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

It doesn't. I just tested my Bose Soundlink headset and a Plantronics Voyager Pro (one at a time). Both of them report battery levels in the iPhone, but the Bluetooth Pref Pane on my rMBP doesn't report levels. Even <option> clicking the Bluetooth menubar icon doesn't show battery information.

fwiw i'm a mug who bought the beatsx earphones because i wanted the ~w1 experience~ and i get a battery level indicator in osx. the solution to your problem isn't the one you want, but it's the one i think steve jobs would appreciate; spend more on products from apple and apple owned subsidiaries :discourse:

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I'm curious to know if anybody has had problems with applying updates to Mac OS recently.

Basically what happens is the user goes to apply the update the computer restarts and then asks for a set up user. What happened this time is that no password works for the set up user, so I logged in as an admin to complete the installation and now that user is stuck with no dock, their desktop is screwed up and they have no ability to move windows with the mouse Etc.

When did apple add this set up user feature? Because the only thing I've ever seen it do is gently caress everything up.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

McDeth posted:

I'm curious to know if anybody has had problems with applying updates to Mac OS recently.

Basically what happens is the user goes to apply the update the computer restarts and then asks for a set up user. What happened this time is that no password works for the set up user, so I logged in as an admin to complete the installation and now that user is stuck with no dock, their desktop is screwed up and they have no ability to move windows with the mouse Etc.

When did apple add this set up user feature? Because the only thing I've ever seen it do is gently caress everything up.

Has this happened on multiple computers? Because if it was just one computer, it sounds like something with the install hosed up.

And no, I haven’t had any issues like this more often than in the past, but I have seen something similar more than once, and it was usually due to a hosed up install or, more recently, a boot disk that was too full.

E: had one today that another tech had started looking at while I was on vacation last week and I took over. Almost the same symptoms you describe when logged into the admin account, and reinstalling kept failing until I realized that the drive didn’t have enough space to install an update (that I later found out was attempting to install when the problem started). I booted from an external disk, moved over or deleted some random files, and reran the update. Everything was fine after that. Not saying this will fix your issue, but it fixed the customers.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 9, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I'm decommisioning my 2011 macbook pro who's battery finally died. I replaced it with a windows machine so my only apple device now is my phone. What's the best way to pull all the imessages off of it- preferably in a way that I can read them on my PC without having to fiddle with an SQLite database

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm decommisioning my 2011 macbook pro who's battery finally died. I replaced it with a windows machine so my only apple device now is my phone. What's the best way to pull all the imessages off of it- preferably in a way that I can read them on my PC without having to fiddle with an SQLite database

Take a bunch of screenshots on your phone of every text message and then run them through OCR software.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

empty baggie posted:

Has this happened on multiple computers? Because if it was just one computer, it sounds like something with the install hosed up.

And no, I haven’t had any issues like this more often than in the past, but I have seen something similar more than once, and it was usually due to a hosed up install or, more recently, a boot disk that was too full.

E: had one today that another tech had started looking at while I was on vacation last week and I took over. Almost the same symptoms you describe when logged into the admin account, and reinstalling kept failing until I realized that the drive didn’t have enough space to install an update (that I later found out was attempting to install when the problem started). I booted from an external disk, moved over or deleted some random files, and reran the update. Everything was fine after that. Not saying this will fix your issue, but it fixed the customers.

Nah, I've had it happen before but it's pretty intermittent as to when it decides to rear its ugly face. I have to assume that unless you're using multiple accounts, some with admin and some without, this is a fairly uncommon issue.

McDeth fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 9, 2017

Violator
May 15, 2003

How is everyone's LAN connections between Macs? I've got one of those older flat AirPort Extremes, a 2016 iMac, and a 2012 rMBP and it seems like it's all poo poo rear end slow. For example, I'm copying 3 gigs from my iMac to my MBP right now and it's projected to take 12+ minutes. If my math is right (and it's probably not) I'm only transferring like 250 megs a minute? I could walk to the iMac and copy my files to a portable SSD faster than this. And this is the second time I've tried the copy because the first time my MBP lost the connection to my iMac and I had to turn off wifi and turn it back on to connect to the computer. And when I'm mobile and try using Back to my Mac it's so drat slow it's useless because it takes minutes to load even a directory listing.

Is Mac networking just super lovely or would upgrading my router help me? My AppleTV sitting in the same room as me seems to have no problem streaming anything I throw at it (either from Netflix or from Plex being served from the iMac), so I'm not sure why the computer-to-computer is so terrible. I've been thinking about upgrading to eero.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My speeds max out at about 250mb/s through a USB 3.0 Ethernet interface and PCI interface and SSDs at each end as well. Router is an Archer C7. I don't know how to improve that beyond spending a ton of money on interfaces and switches, just giving you some context.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

carry on then posted:

OneNote is free on the App Store.

Thanks!

Ideally I'd like something open source though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Thanks!

Ideally I'd like something open source though.

Emacs + Org Mode?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Violator posted:

How is everyone's LAN connections between Macs? I've got one of those older flat AirPort Extremes, a 2016 iMac, and a 2012 rMBP and it seems like it's all poo poo rear end slow. For example, I'm copying 3 gigs from my iMac to my MBP right now and it's projected to take 12+ minutes. If my math is right (and it's probably not) I'm only transferring like 250 megs a minute? I could walk to the iMac and copy my files to a portable SSD faster than this. And this is the second time I've tried the copy because the first time my MBP lost the connection to my iMac and I had to turn off wifi and turn it back on to connect to the computer. And when I'm mobile and try using Back to my Mac it's so drat slow it's useless because it takes minutes to load even a directory listing.

Is Mac networking just super lovely or would upgrading my router help me? My AppleTV sitting in the same room as me seems to have no problem streaming anything I throw at it (either from Netflix or from Plex being served from the iMac), so I'm not sure why the computer-to-computer is so terrible. I've been thinking about upgrading to eero.

The "older flat AirPort Extreme" is at best capable of 802.11n, if you have the most recent version. If you have an earlier one than that, it tops out at 802.11g.

3GB in 12 minutes is somewhere around 30ish Mbps, which suggests 802.11g (54 Mbps max, always going to be slower in practice). You can check your connection speed to your router by option-clicking the Airport menu item and looking for the "PHY Mode" and "TX Rate" lines.

Streaming video is working fine because that generally needs no more than about 10 Mbps. Copying files fast is much more demanding.

So yeah, if you need to copy files around enough that it's too inconvenient to do the USB SSD thing, you're probably going to want a better WiFi base station.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dick Nipples posted:

Emacs + Org Mode?

sounds promising

maybe i'll have to abandon vi after all :)

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

maskenfreiheit posted:

sounds promising

*shrug* It's a solution but it's not a great one for me. I used to use it but ultimately having access on my phone to my notes was important enough to me to just use OneNote. Also my wife and I have a shared notebook so it's useful for that as well.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

maskenfreiheit posted:

sounds promising

Good News!

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Evil

Violator
May 15, 2003

BobHoward posted:

The "older flat AirPort Extreme" is at best capable of 802.11n, if you have the most recent version. If you have an earlier one than that, it tops out at 802.11g.

3GB in 12 minutes is somewhere around 30ish Mbps, which suggests 802.11g (54 Mbps max, always going to be slower in practice). You can check your connection speed to your router by option-clicking the Airport menu item and looking for the "PHY Mode" and "TX Rate" lines.

Streaming video is working fine because that generally needs no more than about 10 Mbps. Copying files fast is much more demanding.

So yeah, if you need to copy files around enough that it's too inconvenient to do the USB SSD thing, you're probably going to want a better WiFi base station.

This is terrific info. Thanks very much, I really appreciate it.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

No. Duet rocks as a second display, and I've yet to find any other product that performs as consistently. Spend the money.

Agreed duet is great for using as a second display. With an iPad Pro Astropad is better for using your iPad as a cintiq type thing I find assuming you have the pencil.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

squirrelzipper posted:

Agreed duet is great for using as a second display. With an iPad Pro Astropad is better for using your iPad as a cintiq type thing I find assuming you have the pencil.

That's more of the usage I was after tbh. I'll check it out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Astropad vs. Procreate: Fight ?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Rex-Goliath posted:

Anyone? I plan on reformatting this thing and selling it by the end of the day. If I can't pull it off the laptop smoothly I'm just gonna accept that the messages will have to be left in the cloud

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

Anyone? I plan on reformatting this thing and selling it by the end of the day. If I can't pull it off the laptop smoothly I'm just gonna accept that the messages will have to be left in the cloud

Do messages sync between devices if you sign up for icloud?

This is a shot in the dark but you could do that and they might populate onto your iphone

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

Do messages sync between devices if you sign up for icloud?

This is a shot in the dark but you could do that and they might populate onto your iphone

Sort of- the problem is to read anything I have to keep manually scrolling up on every convo in order to force it to download older messages. My laptop is way older and in fact older than me being on the iOS ecosystem entirely- so it has my entire history on disk already. I'd rather have that

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The new version of macOS should allow you to sync all your old iMessages onto a mac.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Steakandchips posted:

The new version of macOS should allow you to sync all your old iMessages onto a mac.

It's not in either the latest beta for iOS or Mac OS (or maybe both?) so there's probably something not working right. I believe it's not expected to ship with .0 now.

I had the conundrum of losing all my iMessages as I had the same phone install from 2008 to 2014 and had conversations leading back years. In the end I decided there was probably nothing really that important in there and just started from scratch. I now have it set to auto delete messages after a year anyway.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Bit of an odd question, but for the last week or so when I've shut down my computer (running El Capitan) the computer goes into shutdown mode and gets to the screen right before the computer's due to shutdown (the small spinning wheel in the mid-center of the screen)

However, it just sort of hangs there for awhile and I end up having to force-shutdown instead. Now this isn't every time I shut down my computer but it's been frequent enough that I'm a bit concerned about it. I'm on a mid-2012 Pro. (the last one with the optical drive)

(On another weird note, my torrent program stopped loading today (moved to qBittorrent after Transmission kept getting hacked) The only issue I can think of there is I installed Macports and found it didn't seem to work for what I needed and uninstalled it. qBittorrent hasn't worked since.)

Anyways, sorry for the two-pointed request, as always I appreciate any help you can provide.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Does it have a spinning platter hard drive? Maybe there are issues with it. See if SMART is giving you any hints there.

MacPorts is old now, you should be using homebrew, but usermode package managers shouldn't be causing system level failures like that. You could always check Console.app to see if nonsense is going on during your failed shutdown.

My rMBP takes a while to shut down, at that spinning screen too, but it does eventually do so...

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

Does it have a spinning platter hard drive? Maybe there are issues with it. See if SMART is giving you any hints there.

MacPorts is old now, you should be using homebrew, but usermode package managers shouldn't be causing system level failures like that. You could always check Console.app to see if nonsense is going on during your failed shutdown.

My rMBP takes a while to shut down, at that spinning screen too, but it does eventually do so...

Nope, SMART seems to be verified and good to go. And yeah, it's still got the spinning hard disk drive but it's been running fairly well without issue for awhile now.

Console.app doesn't seem to suggest anything either sadly.

As for MacPorts, it seems I called it the wrong name, I did install (and then uninstall) homebrew last night but other than trying to figure out if I got sdl2 uninstalled (which I don't think did end up uninstalling) everything else seems alright.

The only other thing would be that it's not a retina MBP but I'm not sure what errors that would or wouldn't come up with.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well no I'm not saying my 15 rMBP is like your 12 Pro, I'm just saying my well-worn install of macOS takes a while to shut down too.

Outside of IO problems and the kernel spitting a bunch of evidence of misbehaviour into Console.app, I don't really know based on what you said what could be causing your problems
but there are some techniques to make macOS verbose as gently caress here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/57240/how-to-check-what-is-preventing-mbp-from-graceful-shutdown-restart-and-fix-it
and ways to log the shutdown process.

Spit some of that hardcore verbiage at us brah and maybe we could help?

edit: but in my experience if it's not misbehaving software it's pretty much always something blocking on IO which is why the HDD is my main suspect, error correction slows IO to a crawl if sectors keep coming up bad

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 12, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

you could always do a Time Machine backup, reinstall macOS from Recovery after nuking the partition, and then restoring from backup. That'll give you the canonical unmolested system but bring over your usermode stuff

it's kinda the nuclear option IMO though. and won't help if it's actually your HDD crapping out.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Sure, that sounds like a plan! I did figure out the issue with my one program not working but I'll try doing sysdiagnose and see what pops up. It'd definitely help out to figure out what's going wrong with the computer not shutting down.

It'll probably be a little bit, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm about to go on a trip and hotel wifi yada yada yada. I have a VPN connection to my home. If I use "Set service order" in my Network preferences to move it above the WiFi connection, will that have the effect of using my VPN (and thus home internet) as the default route out for internet traffic?

Not sure how that would even work or how it works if the VPN depends on the WiFi connection being the default route out but v:confused:v