Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is this some new level of irony i don't understand

https://twitter.com/jenkirkman/status/895848723590393856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Music talk what are the punk goons opinions on Against Me

Because I relistened to Axl Rose today and man that album fuckin rips

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

i'm just grasping this whole doughnut thing and you'd think they'd be smarter about protecting their favorite "everyone who questions the dnc is racist/sexist" card plus it's sad to see jen kirkman turn insane over the years since i thought she was pretty funny when i first heard her

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

:yeah:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

No, I think her brain is genuinely broken.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ken Jirkman just blocked me because I advised her as someone who's had a break with reality that she should check herself into a psych ward

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Let's all get the punchlines before it becomes sad.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

becomes?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jen is like Louise but less deranged

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Jen is like Louise but goes on the tv more often

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As a standup fan, she used to be fun to follow (not on Twitter, but in her career). This will probably turn from amusing to problematic very quickly.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Jen Kirkman really thinks she's important enough to warrant somebody paying people to troll her.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I liked TDB a lot but it basically sounds like a Gaslight Anthem record

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Also I wish Bernie would just tweet her to stop @ing him everytime people make fun of her on the internet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wish there was a new poo poo Account Tourney podcast. :(

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

She used to do a recurring bit on Paul F Tompkins' old podcast and it's weird cause he seems like one of the normie libs who's actually accepted that the only way to go from here is just straight left.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

She used to do a recurring bit on Paul F Tompkins' old podcast and it's weird cause he seems like one of the normie libs who's actually accepted that the only way to go from here is just straight left.

PFT was just on This Week in Atrocity (Mobute/Boniface's podcast) and that's indeed the case, he wants the left to just swing for the fences now.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Letmespeaktoyourmanager.txt

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

PFT is radicalized, yo

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I remember seeing her on his webshow thing, I think it was called no you shut up or something? anyway she was ranting about bernie bros unironically and I was like "who the hell is this idiot" and then it only got worse from there I see

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

i miss NYSU :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Henchman of Santa posted:

I liked TDB a lot but it basically sounds like a Gaslight Anthem record

First Gaslight Anthem album is p good though

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
hoooooly poo poo PFT is radicalized!? i love him even more now

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Rhesus Pieces posted:

PFT was just on This Week in Atrocity (Mobute/Boniface's podcast) and that's indeed the case, he wants the left to just swing for the fences now.

Always loved PFT before this. Now I love him even more.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah. It bums me out because PFT's phone calls with Kirkman used to be the best part of Pod F. Tompkast and then Kirkman went full :stare: during the election. I do hope she has people checking in on her though because she's gone next level.

Radicalised PFT owns though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cake Boss go on Chapo

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

jesus i skip twitter for a couple of days and what the gently caress is this donut poo poo?

e: ok i see now liberals still can't anything

sub supau fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 11, 2017

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pretty disgusting this "let them eat donuts" thing, as we all know that "donut" in this instance means "penis" so liberals are saying that all leftists should be raped.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah. It bums me out because PFT's phone calls with Kirkman used to be the best part of Pod F. Tompkast and then Kirkman went full :stare: during the election. I do hope she has people checking in on her though because she's gone next level.

Radicalised PFT owns though.

I also found out about Jen Kirkman from the P.F.Tompcast. :hfive:

Shame that her brain broke, though. :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chapo fans have a new official film:
http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/movies/2017/08/11/nut-job-movie-review/104451110/

quote:

“The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature,” directed and cowritten by Cal Brunker, is a searing indictment of capitalistic government corruption, embodied by the cravenly criminal Mayor of Oakton City (Bobby Moynihan). In seeking to wring every drop of profit from his province, he destroys the city park where these rodents enjoy a collective lifestyle in order to build an amusement park, Liberty Land, a monument to crass consumerism and cutting corners. When the rodents resist against this development, the mayor unleashes exterminators to violently suppress the uprising.

That’s not the only revolutionary element of the film. Just wait until you see the army of kung fu-trained Chinese mice, led by the furry, ferocious Mr. Feng (Jackie Chan), who join the rodent insurgents in their rebellion against their greedy human oppressors. They, too, have been driven from their park, now a golf course. The most terrifyingly sadistic villain happens to be Heather (Isabela Moner), the mayor’s daughter, a fiery-haired bourgeois demon in a small child’s body.

This is a film of excesses and extremes. From the orgiastic festival of nuts that the film opens with to the violent mayhem that it descends into, “Nutty by Nature” is a relentless melee. It’s a tornado of whirling-dervish rodents battling hamfisted humans over the sanctity of their land, which has been turned from a verdant paradise into a dark and hellish landscape of repurposed goods and shoddy craftsmanship, intended to drop every excess dollar in the mayor’s pocket. It’s an unexpectedly radical, if otherwise rather rote, animated sequel.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

In support of music talk from some pages ago
https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/895800054350589953

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I'd vote for a guy named Thor.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Jen Kirkman had a bit on Drunk History where she talked about how much of a "badass" "the first female President" Edith Wilson was, because she secretly ran the US government after Woodrow Wilson had a stroke. At the end of her segment, she said she didn't know if Edith Wilson passed good policies, but at least 9/11 didn't happen on her watch. Liberals.txt

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Jen Kirkman had a bit on Drunk History where she talked about how much of a "badass" "the first female President" Edith Wilson was, because she secretly ran the US government after Woodrow Wilson had a stroke. At the end of her segment, she said she didn't know if Edith Wilson passed good policies, but at least 9/11 didn't happen on her watch. Liberals.txt

Biplane fuel can't melt iron beams

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I liked them in high school but find them kinda embarrassing to listen to now. I was dorking out about death metal a couple pages ago though so clearly I can't actually experience embarrassment.

he posts a lot of corny Daily Show style lib stuff on twitter but he's a great musician and has done some good writing about depression.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
So there's possibly evidence to indicate that the DNC emails leaked to Wikileaks were actually taken on a flash drive, and not remotely hacked

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Everyone's favorite op ed writer has a hot take on the Google memo guy.

quote:

It was very male-centric. I heard about client outings, involving strippers, to which I was obviously not invited. And the sexual harassment (entirely from clients, not colleagues), could be spectacular.

Which has nothing to do with why I left. This will make me sound a bit dim, but at the time, it never occurred to me that being a female in this bro ecosystem might impinge my ultimate career prospects. Nor did I miss having women in the room. I liked working with the bros just fine. And the sexual harassment, while annoying, was just that: annoying. I cannot recall that it ever affected my work, nor that I lost any sleep over it.

No, the reason I left is that I came into work one Monday morning and joined the guys at our work table, and one of them said “What did you do this weekend?”

I was in the throes of a brief, doomed romance. I had attended a concert that Saturday night. I answered the question with an account of both. The guys stared blankly. Then silence. Then one of them said: “I built a fiber-channel network in my basement,” and our co-workers fell all over themselves asking him to describe every step in loving detail.

At that moment I realized that fundamentally, these are not my people. I liked the work. But I was never going to like it enough to blow a weekend doing more of it for free. Which meant that I was never going to be as good at that job as the guys around me.

So I went to business school, and eventually I landed myself in the kind of career that I was happy to do on weekends, and nights, and most of my other time -- a career that I did, in fact, do for free for five years before anyone offered to pay me for it. My field, policy journalism, is also predominantly male. But it’s less male, and it suits me better.

The bolded parts are just *chef kissing fingers*

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 11, 2017

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

barf

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Every word is racist/sexist/implying rape. Face it folks the English language is rife with hidden slurs.
Trigger warning: nouns

Power Walrus posted:

What the hell does a radical centrist even stand for? Why the gently caress are these people against things like single-payer healthcare??

papa horny michael posted:

for: quarterly reports, unbridled craft brewery business creation

against: chelsea manning, single payer, bernard, ubi, protesting police about michael brown's murder
"Radical centrist" originally meant someone who was ideologically moderate, but willing to radically reform the system if necessary. Now it means the exact opposite of that: they will believe anything, shifting beliefs from one minute to the next, as long as it preserves and justifies the status quo. (The other ironic thing about it is that "radical centrist" used to be a label for milquetoast pundits who wanted to pretend they stood for something. Now it represents a genuinely radical set of politics; these people are liberal versions of Alex Jones fans who will buy into an ever-shifting array of mutually incompatible conspiracy theories so long as it props up their worldview.)

Because "radical centrists" are, by and large, people who have done well under the status quo. Looking at Liberal Twitter, when you take out the professional campaigners and the professional media people, what you're left with is lawyers and the odd techbro. People for whom the "meritocracy" is working just fine.

Matt summed it up well when he said "These are the people C. Wright Mills called 'crackpot realists.' Because they were obsessed with realistic approaches to the Cold War, but their premises were totally insane."

quote:

I mean isn't it that incremental change has been the status quo only because of the grinding gears of competing goals & ideologies? If you set your sights at the compromise, you won't even get to the compromise, right?
Well yeah, this is why the West Wing doesn't reflect real life.

quote:

Also, more like Chapped Craphole House
I keep all my downloaded eps in a folder marked Cheops Tarp Hose. I don't know why.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Everyone's favorite op ed writer has a hot take on the Google memo guy.

The bolded parts are just *chef kissing fingers*

My dad is convinced that Brooks is one of the smart conservatives so it's really funny to watch him fart these out every week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Oh it's not the Brooks column - it's McArdle. Turns out there is no end to the number of ways terrible right wing pundits can repackage the same lovely take.