Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/895970429734711298

RIP in peace everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh god damnit. Military solution is an oxymoron.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

If Trump tweeted that I'm not too worried.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah, Trump is an empty fatsuit but this is actually pretty terrifying. The best possible military outcome in North Korea is hundreds of thousands dying, a devastated Seoul, a permanent souring of US/Chinese/South Korean/World relations, and 20 million refugees. The best possible outcome is never really an option for the Trump admin so lets assume closer to 100 million dying and we all have to live in a broke economied, irradiated wasteland.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I fully expect, if this goes tits up, the Republican line will be "if Hillary wasn't such a bad candidate, we wouldn't have had to vote for Trump!"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Well, bedtime for me folks. You yanks play nice while I'm asleep!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Uhmmm... :f5:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/895970429734711298

Edit: gently caress, beaten. It was 15 minutes ago! #RIGGED

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Radish posted:

D.C politicos and other associated media types desperately want a return to polite discourse but don't actually really care too much about actions. If Trump was doing the exact same stuff but giving clever and witty statements to a press pool instead of being a dick on twitter he'd be getting a lot less flack. They are always hoping that THIS will be the moment when he becomes G.W. Bush.

People should never forget it was the New York Times that helped Cheney make a public case to go into Iraq.

It's really, really loving embarrassing to see just how badly your media establishment wants (and is willing to facilitate) a return to normal.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 11, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I swear to god of Donald Grump starts a nuclear holocaust over a crazy dictator's posturing, McCain and I will both find that deeply disturbing.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

It's really, really loving embarrassing to see just how badly your media establishment wants (and is willing to facilitate) a return to normal.

We were supposed to be at the end of history! Everything was going to be predictable, run by technocrats in a “meritocracy“ and no one would ever have to think a complex thought again.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

PLEASE STRIKE US, I NEED RATINGS!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Glazier posted:

We were supposed to be at the end of history! Everything was going to be predictable, run by technocrats in a “meritocracy“ and no one would ever have to think a complex thought again.

Maggie Haberman closes "Brave New World" after reading the first chapter and sighs wistfully.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Glazier posted:

I want to say some more about this:

Even the nitwits that rise in these institutions are now facing the uncomfortable truth that the US government can act let's say objectively not for the common good. And they are completely incapable of dealing with the reasoned consequences of the known facts and generally held moral principles.

It reminds me of when Jon Stewart very correctly and concisely used moral principles to reason himself into the position that Truman was a war criminal for the atomic bombs during an on air discussion. Then a day later he has to start the show with an apology because ofcourse it's unthinkable to say anything as absurd as an American president not having been a being of pure good. He didn't ofcourse, spend even 1 second on explaining how or where exactly he now believed his reasoning was flawed, because, you know, it'd be impossible to do so.

Except now it's happening daily, and with literally everyone not fully on board the Trump train cus it's all so loving blatant and obvious and there's just so much of it and it doesn't stop coming so it's impossible to deny.

But you know, the reasonable conclusions would lead one to propose actions which are still seen as taboo. Basically holding powerful people accountable for their actions has become completely taboo in American society. So instead everyone just claims to be Very Concerned all the time.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 11, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
locked and loaded motherfucker lol

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So China says they will stay neutral if Kim strikes first. That's nice.

However they also say if the US strikes first, they will defend the North Korean Regime.

http://time.com/4896708/china-north-korea-attack-us/?xid=homepage

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

However they also say if the US strikes first, they will defend the North Korean Regime.

Good

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Good to know our weapons are locked and loaded, as opposed to when they're never not. gently caress this guy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

"translation: "generals have told me what our plans are and told me not to gently caress anything up by not following them"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

skylined! posted:

locked and loaded motherfucker lol

I see we've entered the Dirty Harry stage of US world politics.

Also someone link that "pick up the gun" bit by Bill Hicks.

Realtalk: does anyone believe the Trump presidency will end without another war?
And before you answer, recall the massive and disgusting praise Donny got for throwing some Tomahawks at a Syrian runway.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It would have been very nice if we were to have a working State Department...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is this poo poo scoring points with his base? Or with Republicans in general?

Wanna know how his approval is doing, and not Zogby

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Data Graham posted:

The answer to both is always yes, no matter the circumstances. It's either something great at face value, or 15th dimensional chess to them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not sure that it's a certainty although I would certainly bet on it somewhere. Bush and Friends still needed a lot of institutional support from the media and help across the aisle to go into Iraq after the largest terrorist attack in American history. Trump has burned his bridges with a lot of the media despite idiots that constantly think he's pivoting into a Real President and the Democrats aren't going to just sign off on his re-election campaign.

If North Korea does something first however all bets are off and everyone will be on board the Trump train but I don't think he's going to be able to pull off an unprovoked attack like Bush did with Iraq.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I'm wondering is if he's getting positive feedback from his latest rhetoric, that'll just encourage him to take it further and further in pursuit of that high, right? Like whether he gets the shiny keys jingled in his face will override whether he's actually "solving" the problem he's dimly aware of on the other side of the world

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's Trump. Dude is just going to say North Korea attacked first and once the truth is established beyond doubt 6 months later it's all rather too late. Plus it'd take another 10 years before the majority of the US population would be willing to accept that truth, just like with Iraq. And even then noone would be held accountable. Cus that's taboo.

You didn't hang Bush and friends for their crimes, so now we all get to live in a world where there actions are considered normal. Thanks, Obama.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 11, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You're insufferably stupid. Add one to the ignore list.

the irony. i'm poisoned by it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

canepazzo posted:

The answer to both is always yes, no matter the circumstances. It's either something great at face value, or 15th dimensional chess to them.

For real, every single thing he does is intentional and good.

The barometer for this is bitchell, if he ever falters in his support of trump then you know there's trouble.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Radish posted:

If North Korea does something first however all bets are off and everyone will be on board the Trump train but I don't think he's going to be able to pull off an unprovoked attack like Bush did with Iraq.

No one except Trump and certain members of his idiot base / rapture evangelicals want a war with North Korea. If Trump strikes first and initiates a war which kills millions and tanks the global economy, it would finish Trump politically. At least, I would hope. If people did end up "rallying around the Flag" for Trump because he started a war over his goddamn ego then yea, we're all hosed anyway.

brockan
Mar 9, 2014

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What's frustrating is how many sites (including that one) are only headlining the first detail, and not the second. As a result, tons of ignorant warmongers on the internet who aren't reading beyond the headline, have been misinterpreting that as "Sweet. I guess this means China has OK'd us to attack NK."

What's worse is that considering Trump is known for watching the news more than he claims and he has a short attention span, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up doing the same thing.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Data Graham posted:

Wanna know how his approval is doing, and not Zogby
I've noticed a recurring pattern of older conservative dudes idealizing the idea of trying to come off as crazy like a fox to leverage negotiating power. I wouldn't be surprised if this is scoring points with people with that kind of mentality despite* this all being unfathomably stupid.

*They're very stupid.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sneakster posted:

I've noticed a recurring pattern of older conservative dudes idealizing the idea of trying to come off as crazy like a fox to leverage negotiating power. I wouldn't be surprised if this is scoring points with people with that kind of mentality despite* this all being unfathomably stupid.

*They're very stupid.

Trying to seem like a loving madman was official US foreign policy during their formative years. You didn't hold Nixon accountable for his crimes. Now we all get to live in a world where this is normal. Thanks America.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"translation: "generals have told me what our plans are and told me not to gently caress anything up by not following them"

is that good or bad? are they plans to escalate or deescalate?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Solaris 2.0 posted:

No one except Trump and certain members of his idiot base / rapture evangelicals want a war with North Korea. If Trump strikes first and initiates a war which kills millions and tanks the global economy, it would finish Trump politically. At least, I would hope. If people did end up "rallying around the Flag" for Trump because he started a war over his goddamn ego then yea, we're all hosed anyway.

Yeah I agree, it's only if North Korea does something real dumb like hits one of their neighbors with a missile that people will start rallying behind Trump the war leader.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

It reminds me of when Jon Stewart very correctly and concisely used moral principles to reason himself into the position that Truman was a war criminal for the atomic bombs during an on air discussion. Then a day later he has to start the show with an apology because ofcourse it's unthinkable to say anything as absurd as an American president not having been a being of pure good. He didn't ofcourse, spend even 1 second on explaining how or where exactly he now believed his reasoning was flawed, because, you know, it'd be impossible to do so.

God, this infuriated me, I remember exactly this moment. I was shouting "Stick to your guns! He was a war criminal!"

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Orange Devil posted:

I see we've entered the Dirty Harry stage of US world politics.

Also someone link that "pick up the gun" bit by Bill Hicks.

Realtalk: does anyone believe the Trump presidency will end without another war?
And before you answer, recall the massive and disgusting praise Donny got for throwing some Tomahawks at a Syrian runway.

Another war? More like 2-3 more wars:
Iran
North Korea
China?

spoiler: Canada

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

every president is a war criminal.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

I truly thought we would get through 4 years without a war at the beginning of this year but things escalated so quickly ever since I've given up on that hope.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Anyone else think that Manafort will get clipped by the end of 2018? He really is the key linking Putin to Trump.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Orange Devil posted:

Trying to seem like a loving madman was official US foreign policy during their formative years. You didn't hold Nixon accountable for his crimes. Now we all get to live in a world where this is normal. Thanks America.

http://www.imao.us/docs/NukeTheMoon.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Chilichimp posted:

I swear to god of Donald Grump starts a nuclear holocaust over a crazy dictator's posturing, McCain and I will both find that deeply disturbing.

Fraid not friend. Rampant military spending and action is the one thing John McCain actually gives a poo poo about. He's pro.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It's not so much the political consequences but the millions dead and irrevocable turn in world history which I would qualify as "hosed'.

• Locked thread