Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There is no such thing as a funny Tory.

How do you even do a Tory comedy set? "How many disabled people does it take to change a lightbulb? Who cares, let 'em die in the dark!"

My favourite joke is the economy of Venezuela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite joke is the economy of Venezuela.

5 keep em coming

if I get enough I can probably do 60 mins somewhere on the Cowgate before the end of the month and pass it off as an al murray-style character

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
But seriously, David Cameron told us what his favourite joke was seven years ago:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

did someone say clegg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSS1FIkGOX8

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nah, best game show of them all was the one where a 6ft 3 Nazi poster boy in Gestapo gear flies around the countryside in Airwolf shooting people in the back with his wrist laser to stop them being able to open a box of money they're desperately looking for the key for.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Ah, Interceptor. You will always have a piece of my heart.

Awesome intro tune.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

ookiimarukochan posted:

I was at school with him and it loving baffles me that he of all people became a comedian. If you'd have asked me before it happened I'd have said it was about as likely as me becoming an olympic athlete (in any discipline but sumo)

I saw Andrew Lawrence a few years ago after my friend and I saw a couple of things he did on Live at the Apollo or something like that and liked the weird hyper silly voices and rants he did. He was funny but the audience was so small he couldn't really build up any energy or rapport with us so it was kind of flat. And he repeated a few jokes wjich I didn't notice until my friend pointed it out when we got home.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh my god, Interceptor. Now there's a show that had vanished into my memory abyss.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gruff, handsome Scotsman chases shrieking yuppies around the countryside. Good times.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Didn't the madman chasing guy in The Interceptor make really strange screeching noises all the time?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Didn't the madman chasing guy in The Interceptor make really strange screeching noises all the time?

A bit, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pj9H6YJb7g

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So The Amazing And Righteous Noel Edmonds has a new gameshow on C4.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

The trailer I saw ended with a clip of someone carrying a coffin saying something like "I think this has Noel's career in it." I got the strong impression the whole thing is a big joke that everybody except the host is in on.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Jonnty posted:

The trailer I saw ended with a clip of someone carrying a coffin saying something like "I think this has Noel's career in it." I got the strong impression the whole thing is a big joke that everybody except the host is in on.

That's Barry from Watford and he's great

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thehustler posted:

That's Barry from Watford and he's great

I used to listen to Steve Wright on Radio 2 and remember him being pretty annoying, but that was a number of years ago: maybe it was just the presence of Steve Wright creating a pervasive annoying atmosphere.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I used to listen to Steve Wright on Radio 2 and remember him being pretty annoying, but that was a number of years ago: maybe it was just the presence of Steve Wright creating a pervasive annoying atmosphere.

I'd take Steve Wright and his Serious Jockin' over one minute of Chris loving Evans

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I'd take Steve Wright and his Serious Jockin' over one minute of Chris loving Evans

I'd take Chris Evans every morning for the rest of my life over 10 minutes of Nick Grimshaw.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If you're not listening to 6Music, then your opinions and life are both worthless.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the only radio I listen to is Craig Charles's programme. It has the best music.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the character. Saw the Angelos and Barry live show and it was a lot of fun.

Just watching Cheap Cheap Cheap and holy poo poo this is surreal. All the awkward standing around and nervous laughter from the contestants. It's pretty embarrassing.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

I'd take Chris Evans every morning for the rest of my life over 10 minutes of Nick Grimshaw.

Which was precisely why I switched from Radio 1 to 2 in the first place, though Grimshaw was much better in the quasi graveyard 10pm-midnight slot where it sounded like he'd had a few jars before getting in. But Evans's schtick is the same loving show day in, day out. It's the same jingles played at the same time, the same links in the exact same manner, sometimes the same loving records in the same time. And that's before we get to his forced "banter" with everyone on the show, the cringeworthy nicknames everyone has to have (Frothy Coffee Man is the loving worst) and then there's this description from the UKMT in D&D or even earlier in this thread about him: "Shouty twat basically gets paid money to advertise his own car festival, and whatever fun thing he has organised for himself for children in need." In short, Evans has almost killed my love of radio

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I know he's not well loved around here but I think Russell Brand's best work is on the radio. When, and only when, he is paired with Matt Morgan who a. is funnier and b. expertly punctures Brand's pomposity. Russell (almost) always takes it in good humour, so it makes him come across as less of an arse than he does solo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lemon posted:

I know he's not well loved around here but I think Russell Brand's best work is on the radio. When, and only when, he is paired with Matt Morgan who a. is funnier and b. expertly punctures Brand's pomposity. Russell (almost) always takes it in good humour, so it makes him come across as less of an arse than he does solo.
I just finished listening to his interview with Adam Curtis, who is desperately trying to stop himself from either walking out or just punching him, and yet he still manages to get a really good interview out of him. Brand is weird.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Which was precisely why I switched from Radio 1 to 2 in the first place, though Grimshaw was much better in the quasi graveyard 10pm-midnight slot where it sounded like he'd had a few jars before getting in. But Evans's schtick is the same loving show day in, day out. It's the same jingles played at the same time, the same links in the exact same manner, sometimes the same loving records in the same time. And that's before we get to his forced "banter" with everyone on the show, the cringeworthy nicknames everyone has to have (Frothy Coffee Man is the loving worst) and then there's this description from the UKMT in D&D or even earlier in this thread about him: "Shouty twat basically gets paid money to advertise his own car festival, and whatever fun thing he has organised for himself for children in need." In short, Evans has almost killed my love of radio

When I was younger, I listened to Terry Wogan every morning on the drive to school (those Janet and John stories cracked me up), so I sort of resented Evans for having replaced him. In the intervening years, I have developed more sensible reasons to find Evans grating first thing in the morning.

Of the people he's had sitting in for him, I think Sara Cox getting the breakfast show would be less tedious. Or even Craig Charles, who's sat in for him before and who I find more a lot more personable (I think Evans seems pretty put-on a lot of the time).

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was younger, I listened to Terry Wogan every morning on the drive to school (those Janet and John stories cracked me up), so I sort of resented Evans for having replaced him. In the intervening years, I have developed more sensible reasons to find Evans grating first thing in the morning.

Of the people he's had sitting in for him, I think Sara Cox getting the breakfast show would be less tedious. Or even Craig Charles, who's sat in for him before and who I find more a lot more personable (I think Evans seems pretty put-on a lot of the time).

I totally agree with Cox as a more permanent replacement partly because she seems more genuine, and also because everytime she's on air, I get the distinct feeling she's going to at some point take the show off the air through some sort of inadvertent accident pushing of the wrong button

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lemon posted:

I never heard him do anything after 'that' episode. Which I will completely admit I found really loving funny until the media got involved. His show almost made me not hate a Gallagher brother too. Almost.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

EL BROMANCE posted:

I never heard him do anything after 'that' episode. Which I will completely admit I found really loving funny until the media got involved. His show almost made me not hate a Gallagher brother too. Almost.

He's been doing a show on Radio X for the past few months with Matt and Mr G. It feels very much like the old show.

Also Noel is hilarious. Leave him alone, you.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you're not listening to 6Music, then your opinions and life are both worthless.

And if you're not listening to 6Music then you should be seeking out the one hour long Mary Anne Hobbes Recommends show. An hour of music that never fails to be genuinely interesting.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Russell Brand is a great entertainer in the right dose imo, too much of him and you'll think he's the loving worst but in bits and pieces I think he's a genuinely funny and smart guy and he'll be good value on whatever TV or radio thing he's on. I also look back fondly on his REBrand series where he made some pretty stupid documentaries like one where he meets the youth leader of the BNP or one where he wanks off a guy in the pub toilets just to see what it's like

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll always remember that Owen Jones column header Russell Brand is supporting Ed Miliband... and David Cameron should be worried.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 17, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Russell Brand also gave us Ponderland, which is a genuinely great series.

Also, the new series of People Just Do Nothing has started on iplayer, and it's just as good as the previous series.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Grimmy is great and I miss listening to Radio 1 on my commute in the morning (I moved so I can walk now.)

Y'all are just a bunch of olds.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Akuma posted:

Grimmy is great and I miss listening to Radio 1 on my commute in the morning (I moved so I can walk now.)

Y'all are just a bunch of olds.

That distinction is saved for those of us in the thread who only listen to Radio 4 and routinely google Dignitas.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Russell Brand also gave us Ponderland, which is a genuinely great series.

Also, the new series of People Just Do Nothing has started on iplayer, and it's just as good as the previous series.

Oh hey thanks for the heads up on this.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I love Russell Brand although I've never listened to him on the radio as I find that whole concept difficult.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Russel Brand is only slightly less punchable than James Cordon and they can both gently caress off forever

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Padje posted:

I love Russell Brand although I've never listened to him on the radio as I find that whole concept difficult.

Listening to the radio?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I'm always amazed that Brand managed any sort of career considering just how loving terrible he was presenting MTV's Dance Chart back in the late 1990s/early 2000s

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I watched an episode of REBrand and I've never seen anyone on drugs this much. It's extremely turn-of-the-century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/898569162599133184