Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Baloogan posted:

i kinda wish she was more central now
With the Log Lady too infirm to go outdoors, she's the only able-bodied 'seer' in Twin Peaks, right? I guess Carl could see that kid's soul rising into the air, but Sarah Palmer gets full blown visions. She knows that "men are coming," after all. Maybe the Bookhouse/FBI crew will tag her in to sub for the Log Lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

I wanna see lost highway and inland empire cuz they're the only Lynch films I haven't seen, but they're not on Netflix and their pay only on Amazon, so I'd rather just buy Blu rays. What are the definitive versions?

There's not really a definitive version of Lost Highway on Blu-Ray or DVD, honestly. The Japanese Blu-Ray's decent, and I remember it being fairly cheap to import, but it's not a stellar package by any means.

With Inland Empire, your best bet is the 2-disc DVD, since the film was shot in SD anyway. Plus, it's got an amazing second film called "More Things that Happened" and a 20-minute video of David Lynch cooking quinoa. There's a Region B Blu-Ray, but I'm not sure either of those features is on it, and you'd be missing out.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

I wanna see lost highway and inland empire cuz they're the only Lynch films I haven't seen, but they're not on Netflix and their pay only on Amazon, so I'd rather just buy Blu rays. What are the definitive versions?

I ordered this pack and they worked perfectly. No extras tho, just the movies. It was only $36 back when I brought them last year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004LV1N28/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RBX fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 11, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RBX posted:

I ordered this pack and they worked perfectly. No extras tho, just the movies. It was only $36 back when I brought them last year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004LV1N28/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, that's the German version from Concorde. It supports all regions. Thoroughly decent transfers, but not exactly many extras. There is a British version of Lost Highway with a bunch of additional short films, but it's in 50i. Not worth it, imo.

The Concorde releases can also be bought individually, so they shouldn't be hard to track down.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm betting Criterion will get their hands on Lost Highway at some point. Probably INLAND EMPIRE too, but well I'm still not sure that's a film I actually ever want to revisit.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

I'm betting Criterion will get their hands on Lost Highway at some point. Probably INLAND EMPIRE too, but well I'm still not sure that's a film I actually ever want to revisit.

Concorde's Inland Empire has got a little sticker on it saying: "of particular value". So you know it's gonna be a tough sit.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

OregonDonor posted:

I think this has been mentioned once or twice but I love the specific timing of the end credits every single time. When "Starring Kyle Machlachlan" comes up it's always so evocative and slightly melancholy and it accents the underlying scenes so well.

This is one of the only series I've seen where even the smallest element contributes to the whole. I know there have been some complaints about the pacing but to me the whole thing just breathes.

I love this too because with the way the episodes are paced I kind of lose track of how long I've been watching and the "Starring Kyle Machlachlan" snaps me out of it. I think Lynch kind of created this expectation of a format in the first couple episodes where we go to the Roadhouse and the band plays and the episode ends, but he's subverted that enough times that I only really accept that the episode is coming to an end when those words pop up.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Grace Zabriskie is great in everything. She's the reigning go-to "malevolent crone" character actor champion for like 3 decades

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
On rewatch, I just noticed that the boxing match Sarah is watching is the same fifteen seconds on a loop. I'm really unobservant, apparently. Super creepy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
She is amazing. Im want more Ray Wise too, though

I want singing dancing Leeland back

edit: like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62P6Gm9jpE

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

...! posted:

On rewatch, I just noticed that the boxing match Sarah is watching is the same fifteen seconds on a loop. I'm really unobservant, apparently. Super creepy.

That takes.. . like .... a lot of effort to miss

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It seems like every time Dougie is near coffee he likes it and wants some

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Interestingly, that's actually a trait the original Dale Cooper had back in the old series

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

No Mods No Masters posted:

Sarah's actress has been really on point in the revival, she nails every scene.

She's really good at being absolutely terrifying.

EDIT: And she's also great in Seinfeld!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

She's really good at being absolutely terrifying.

EDIT: And she's also great in Seinfeld!
I always remember her burn on her husband (who played Dr. Hayward in Twin Peaks) during the dinner party with the Costanzas:

quote:

ESTELLE COSTANZA: I couldn't help but notice that you have quite a library in there.
MRS. ROSS: If I had a dime for every book he's actually read, [laughing] I'd be broke.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I hope Ray Wise has another appearance this season, he's great in the original series and the film. You feel so sorry for him, but then he's really scary when Leland gets taken over by BOB. That bit where BOB leaves him and as Leland dies he's able to remember all the things he was made to do and is just devastated by it is one of the saddest TV moments. And I like his doppleganger in the last episode of the original series. "I did not kill anyone!" Though, since Leland is in the White Lodge, the Leland Cooper sees on his exit this series is the doppleganger, right?

Why Sarah is still living in the house where extra-dimensional beings tortured and killed her husband, daughter and niece is a bit odd, especially since she seems to have a connection to the lodge. Maybe property prices in Twin Peaks are pretty high.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Probably owns the home outright, but can't sell. You know, because of the demons/murders.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

Does your public library offer the Hoopla service? It has downloadable e-books, including hundreds of graphic novels from every major publisher EXCEPT Marvel, and streaming music and movies, including Lost Highway. At least you could watch it for free that way, and sooner rather than later.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I tried rewatching episodes 1 through 4 last night to give them another chance. I had to fast forward through half the episodes and still found them kinda frustrating. It definitely feels like everything that happened in those first 4 could have been condensed into two. I thought some Danzig stuff happened later, but I was surprised how some of it was episode one or two. I think the pacing, weekly format, and the chronology issues are scrambling my perception of when things happen.

Also, I still cannot figure out what is happening editing/effects-wise when Danzig shoots Hasting's wife. Is there a weird cut and shot-merge? Or is there missing frames? Or is the blood spray just really loving weird? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Could someone please explain 'Danzig'?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The guy looks like Glenn Danzig

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OldMemes posted:

I hope Ray Wise has another appearance this season

According to IMDB, he's cast for the next few episodes.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Which probably means more black lodge :woop:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
or maybe just a picture. sheryl lee is credited in every episode because of the opening.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

IMDB isn't accurate, the last time I looked they had Ray Wise and Everett McGill appearing in 10 episodes, which is clearly not the case.

Pigthe
Feb 24, 2006

on an incredible journey

...! posted:

When I was watching this scene there was a guy walking back and forth outside my window almost in time with the loops and it made me feel like my mind was coming apart at the seams.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Pigthe posted:

When I was watching this scene there was a guy walking back and forth outside my window almost in time with the loops and it made me feel like my mind was coming apart at the seams.

Was it David Lynch?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Zmej posted:

It definitely feels like everything that happened in those first 4 could have been condensed into two.

Could have doesn't mean should have. I found them to actually be better sits on re-watch.

quote:

Also, I still cannot figure out what is happening editing/effects-wise when Danzig shoots Hasting's wife. Is there a weird cut and shot-merge? Or is there missing frames? Or is the blood spray just really loving weird? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Someone was obsessing over this a couple months back, but I can't remember who it was :shrug: Don't worry, though, this will probably kick-start a revisit of all the wobbles and weirdnesses that have shown up. Maybe we'll talk about Ed dropping the cup in the reflection again!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was so on board with that reflection thing haha

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm solidly against the reflection thing because if it was really true (being some time/reality-schism/doppleganger) it kinda ruins the purpose of the scene which is seeing Ed sitting with his loneliness and (maybe) some realization of something regarding Norma. It was wonderfully poignant.

Also Peggy Lipton does not look 70 at all to me, goddamn.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

Could have doesn't mean should have. I found them to actually be better sits on re-watch.

Someone was obsessing over this a couple months back, but I can't remember who it was :shrug: Don't worry, though, this will probably kick-start a revisit of all the wobbles and weirdnesses that have shown up. Maybe we'll talk about Ed dropping the cup in the reflection again!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Remember when Peggy Lipton was almost 2Pac's mother in law? RIP.

I'm getting real antsy for 14. With 4 weeks to go I'm hoping things ramp up hard

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Zmej posted:

I'm solidly against the reflection thing because if it was really true (being some time/reality-schism/doppleganger) it kinda ruins the purpose of the scene which is seeing Ed sitting with his loneliness and (maybe) some realization of something regarding Norma. It was wonderfully poignant.

Also Peggy Lipton does not look 70 at all to me, goddamn.

Agreed on both counts.

Thanks for reminding me this gif exists :allears:

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 11, 2017

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
woah holy gently caress Norma is Rashida Jones' mom?!?!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Thom and the Heads posted:

Yeah, she has cool parents (Peggy Lipton/Quincy Jones).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Peggy/Norma is 70 :stare:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was hoping Rashida Jones would have been cast in the show as Norma and Big Ed's daughter.

I was also hoping for more of Alicia Witt as Gersten Hayward, maybe succeeding her dad as the new town doctor. I didn't expect she would get one easily- missable cameo, hiding with that dirtbag Steven when Becky was looking for him.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Thinking more about Norma and Ed, I think that's kinda what's been a deal breaker for S3 for me. I've definitely grown to enjoy and appreciate the Dougie/Mr. C stuff, and other new parts of the show, and letting go a little bit of "our" Cooper.

But, and this is a big BUT, the biggest hooks for me with S1/S2 of Twin Peaks watching all the town's relationships. For me, S3 is a paucity of this. I am glued to my screen when Bobby shows up talking about his Dad, or with Shelly, or watching Big Ed contemplate being alone, or Ben Horne dealing with his brother or family or Ashley Judd, or Cole worrying for Albert. That warmth or depth or complication of relations was really enthralling.

I think Lynch is more interested in some cosmic story/human/universal nature due his love for TM and exploring human violence. I know that part of the show was always there, but doesn't seem to leave much room anymore for much else besides his subversion of TV/entertainment expectations. I'm not saying the show is bad, but it just doesn't resonate with me sadly. Once you layer in the other issues of pacing, chronology, editing, writing and portrayal of women, the show starts coming apart at the seams for me.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Rashida Jones now is almost the same age Norma was in season 1. If you see her on Angie Tribeca you can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

whoa