Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I really do wonder if someone sat him down in front of a computer with Command and Conquer: Generals loaded up into skirmish mode and told him that it was a state of the art command interface. If his next tweet references particle cannons being ready to fire, I guess we'll know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I can't remember what documentary I saw it in, but it reminds me of some financial analyst who said that when he first heard about 9/11 happening he asked himself "Oh, I wonder what the price of gold is right now?"

I'm still gonna put money into my retirement accounts either way, but the last thing I care about if WW3 kicks off is "Hmmm, I wonder if I diversified enough".

When I die in the initial exchange it'll solve the question of how I'm going to pay for retirement.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

psydude posted:

When I die in the initial exchange it'll solve the question of how I'm going to pay for retirement.

Pretty sure we live in the same general area, so yeah, same. It's a win-win for me either way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I can't remember what documentary I saw it in, but it reminds me of some financial analyst who said that when he first heard about 9/11 happening he asked himself "Oh, I wonder what the price of gold is right now?"

I'm still gonna put money into my retirement accounts either way, but the last thing I care about if WW3 kicks off is "Hmmm, I wonder if I diversified enough".

This is why you'll never get to FIRE

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A tweet for everything

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/258575681275965440

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I love watching the retweet counter just count up every time someone finds one of these

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Found it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMNZXV7jOG0

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

I mean, at least the Norks are kind of figuring out that Donnie is full of poo poo too.

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/895973910570774530

Could potentially be the world's saving grace that Trump is a terrible, terrible liar.

:lol: No, this just means he's going to be shamed into a first strike.

I'm only about 15% joking. :(

Zeroisanumber posted:

You guys are able to go from zero to "we are completely prepared to fight a major regional war" in three days? I take back a lot of what I said about the military.

This is actually something we're pretty good at. Especially in that part of the world.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 11, 2017

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

As someone who finds the Cuban Missile Crisis to be one of the most fascinating events in world history (and therefore I've read and listened to most major books/tapes related to it), this whole process scares the poo poo out of me given how the main two players are sort of a worst case scenario. There is a -1,000% chance that Trump would stand up to his military advisers (and be thought a coward pretty openly) to try and see a peaceful way out of a situation similar to what Kennedy did.

China finally drawing a line is hopefully a good thing as it makes it very clear that no one better shoot first, lest they want to go to war with China. I would think in most cases that this would be enough of a deterrent to get both sides to settle the gently caress down....except both of these world leaders are man-children dolts who are probably more afraid of looking weak than they are taking the world into WW3.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

As someone who finds the Cuban Missile Crisis to be one of the most fascinating events in world history (and therefore I've read and listened to most major books/tapes related to it), this whole process scares the poo poo out of me given how the main two players are sort of a worst case scenario. There is a -1,000% chance that Trump would stand up to his military advisers (and be thought a coward pretty openly) to try and see a peaceful way out of a situation similar to what Kennedy did.

China finally drawing a line is hopefully a good thing as it makes it very clear that no one better shoot first, lest they want to go to war with China. I would think in most cases that this would be enough of a deterrent to get both sides to settle the gently caress down....except both of these world leaders are man-children dolts who are probably more afraid of looking weak than they are taking the world into WW3.

Dr. Strangelove really did a great job of capturing the mentality of the military leadership during the cold war. I think today's military brass have little interest in starting a massive war just for the hell of it, particularly since most of them were company grade and field grade officers during Iraq and saw the direct result of what barreling into one just for shits and giggles does.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
AP reporting that the entire government hasn't lost their mind and there's an official back-channel being used between the Norks and the White House.

https://apnews.com/686ac7c761694b28b67793a1d8297145

It mostly implies that the channel is there and is actively being used, but it's only having a minor effect overall. With that said, just the channel being there does cut the overall chances of growing another limb by a few points.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can't wait for trump to tweet something like

"up down up down left right left right............."

Next tweet:

".....hopefully Kim Jong Un won't force me to finish this!!"

But instead of the Konami code it's the nuke launch codes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's a non-zero chance that Trump will actually try to declare war through a tweet.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

Dr. Strangelove really did a great job of capturing the mentality of the military leadership during the cold war. I think today's military brass have little interest in starting a massive war just for the hell of it, particularly since most of them were company grade and field grade officers during Iraq and saw the direct result of what barreling into one just for shits and giggles does.
Air Force also got high on the fumes of burning Japanese cities in WWII and went murder-crazy.

Yeah I agree though and while the cult of personality around Mattis for instance is pretty eyerollworthy, he has a reputation for not being an idiot, getting close to what's going on, leading men in combat.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

There's a non-zero chance that Trump will actually try to declare war through a tweet.

Without giving the pentagon a heads up or consulting literally anyone in the NSC first

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That Works posted:

I'm the guy getting knocked on my rear end at the 1m mark.

I'm the dog running like hell 2 seconds later.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Arven posted:

Without giving the pentagon a heads up or consulting literally anyone in the NSC first

Yeah but he will have consulted Fox & Friends.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've got a hair up my butt (again) about him implying that B-1s are nuke-capable (at the moment) but yeah he's right. Wake me up when freight trains loaded down with Abrams tanks are heading toward the West Coast.

Seriously though you can't find a precedent for Trump among American presidents. Even the Republicans from the Gilded Age don't fit. You've got to go back to Roman times and their decadent emperors.

I don't think we have any intention or need to send (more) heavy armor to Korea. The upper peninsula is an awful place of mountains and infantry only areas.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
do we have any armor besides whats in Korea that isnt painted desert tan

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

AP reporting that the entire government hasn't lost their mind and there's an official back-channel being used between the Norks and the White House.

https://apnews.com/686ac7c761694b28b67793a1d8297145

It mostly implies that the channel is there and is actively being used, but it's only having a minor effect overall. With that said, just the channel being there does cut the overall chances of growing another limb by a few points.

He's a career diplomat and Obama appointee. Don't tell Trump.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Air Force also got high on the fumes of burning Japanese cities in WWII and went murder-crazy.

Yeah I agree though and while the cult of personality around Mattis for instance is pretty eyerollworthy, he has a reputation for not being an idiot, getting close to what's going on, leading men in combat.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/895811887400591363

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer :tinfoil: has said he is opposed to the transgender ban policy and will probably fight it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I think it's half ironic, half idiots that just hear the "tears in my eyes" and "Have a plan" quotes and go from there.

Pretty sure the later half would be disappointed if they actually sat down with him and tried to have a conversation with him thinking it would be "MAN ISN'T WAR JUST SO loving AWESOME?"

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 11, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mattis is a good guy. Even if some idiots can't think outside of memes.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

idiots that just hear the "tears in my eyes" and Have a plan quote" and go from there.

And thank the stars for that, otherwise Trump would never have picked him.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

joat mon posted:

And thank the stars for that, otherwise Trump would never have picked him.

Yeah this is probably true.

I agree that Mattis is a good guy though. I'd like to think if I ever met him, I'd spend more time talking to him about his favorite books than anything else.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

that is a very good response from mattis

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah this is probably true.

I agree that Mattis is a good guy though. I'd like to think if I ever met him, I'd spend more time talking to him about his favorite books than anything else.
Yeah totally. He also seems to realize the limits of military force, which is what that whole "have a plan" thing is really about from my reading, to simplify it. Just throwing bodies at a problem just makes dead bodies.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Yeah pretty certain Mattis realizes that the military can't solve non-military problems which irks the poo poo out of atleast half the country.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would ask Mattis what his favorite scotch is.

Because I think, especially recently, he's probably gotten familiar.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah totally. He also seems to realize the limits of military force, which is what that whole "have a plan" thing is really about from my reading, to simplify it. Just throwing bodies at a problem just makes dead bodies.

Yeah, it's like everyone focuses on the "kill everyone in the room" part rather than the "be polite and professional" or "have a plan" parts.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer :tinfoil: has said he is opposed to the transgender ban policy and will probably fight it.

Good.

https://twitter.com/margbrennan/status/896044088050548736

Can't wait for Trump to double down on the fact he really meant it and is glad.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nick Soapdish posted:

Good.

https://twitter.com/margbrennan/status/896044088050548736

Can't wait for Trump to double down on the fact he really meant it and is glad.

https://twitter.com/evilsharkey/status/864548377660317696

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Good things do happen

CNN is finally done with fuckstain Jeffrey Lord

The reason? He apparently threw out a sieg heil in a tweet.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Pesticide20 posted:

Good things do happen

CNN is finally done with fuckstain Jeffrey Lord

The reason? He apparently threw out a sieg heil in a tweet.

He didn't just 'throw out' a Sieg Heil tweet, he valiantly defended it against anyone that said 'thats not a good idea'

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

He didn't just 'throw out' a Sieg Heil tweet, he valiantly defended it against anyone that said 'thats not a good idea'

he was just mocking fascism and nazis!!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dont be stupid
be a smarty

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I suspect he, like Richard Spencer before him, was doing so as a sort of spit-in-your-face over Trump's victory while completely ignorant as to why nobody says that poo poo. Seems to be a Far Right thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/AHamiltonSpirit/status/895863915535630336

this is my favorite twitter related drama of the last 24 hours.this is the tweet in question. and it's 100% true that trump liked it.

https://twitter.com/AHamiltonSpirit/status/895601068280872960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dont be stupid
be a smarty

I understood that reference

• Locked thread