Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it does own how transparent it is when he hasn't actually seen a movie but cobbles together a take about it from trailers/reviews/posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The highlight of CD is when SMG does a no effort/no info post and his sycophantic retards go "yes, the part in Spider-Man Homecoming where black Mary Jane turns out to be The Rhino really IS just like a Faustian deconstruction of 14th century lesbian Japanese manga, you're so right, wow this film has layers to it unlike other marvel films I guess Sony really is a great movie studio".

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think CineD is basically like an experiment designed to take down postmodern critical theory by making it as absurd and stupid as humanly possible

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
man, you know, people say paul feig ruined ghostbusters but i think everything he did that was good in his career was also a result of letting people do improv and stuff, like that's the best stuff in bridesmaids. that's what he does. whoever hired him to make ghostbusters into an improv-fest is at fault

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think CineD is basically like an experiment designed to take down postmodern critical theory by making it as absurd and stupid as humanly possible

Or, bare with me here, maybe the takeaway from 18 years of widespread internet message boards is that drooling dipshits love pretending to be smart by memorizing the names of a couple of logical fallacies and one or two philosophy talking points and then fill in the gaps with purestrain idiotic horseshit.

I'm not the smartest poster on this dead gay forum, but drat is it obvious that those guys are self sucking morons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was having fun in the Pacific rim 2 thread until SMG showed up and declared the first movie was about fascism and the kaiju were victim immigrants

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The highlight of CD is when SMG does a no effort/no info post and his sycophantic retards go "yes, the part in Spider-Man Homecoming where black Mary Jane turns out to be The Rhino really IS just like a Faustian deconstruction of 14th century lesbian Japanese manga, you're so right, wow this film has layers to it unlike other marvel films I guess Sony really is a great movie studio".

smg used to make me mad cause everyone sucked up to him even though he seemed like the dumbest person alive, but now i love him because everyone sucks up to him despite the fact he is definitely the dumbest person alive

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Weirdly the group I left the plinkett GB review with the most sympathy for were the actors (I am told somehow this is a gender neutral term lol)

It all stems from that moment where they were like "Do you think we'll finally get the firehouse" and then they kinda all looked to the camera after they begged for an action-cut to it and at that moment I felt like they really wanted this film to be more... .ghostbustery but unfortunately the only actual decisions they were being allowed to make were how many references to won-tons they could fit in.

Also I choose to beleve that the director had no control over the inclusion of pringles in his movie because that is way funnier and implies the actors coulda just slowly snuck the props and setpieces from the original ghostbusters onto the set day by day and totally got away with it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Weirdly the group I left the plinkett GB review with the most sympathy for were the actors (I am told somehow this is a gender neutral term lol)

It all stems from that moment where they were like "Do you think we'll finally get the firehouse" and then they kinda all looked to the camera after they begged for an action-cut to it and at that moment I felt like they really wanted this film to be more... .ghostbustery but unfortunately the only actual decisions they were being allowed to make were how many references to won-tons they could fit in.

Also I choose to beleve that the director had no control over the inclusion of pringles in his movie because that is way funnier and implies the actors coulda just slowly snuck the props and setpieces from the original ghostbusters onto the set day by day and totally got away with it.

yeah like i don't enjoy wiig much even in good movies but no comedian could do four hours (!) of good improv about logos and how hot chris hemsworth is. plus, when i think about the things those specific four actors are good at, improv isn't one of them. like lesley jones is funny on SNL in scripted comedic sketches that she writes; she's not famous for being able to come up with jokes on demand or anything.

if they definitely wanted a wacky improv movie, maybe the ghostbusters should have been.... colin mochrie and ryan styles.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The only person who should catch poo poo for Ghostbusters is Paul Feig.

It's really obvious the cast wanted it to work and be fun.

Feig, meanwhile, was just kissing everyone's asses and trying to build his own little empire in the studio.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The only person who should catch poo poo for Ghostbusters is Paul Feig.

It's really obvious the cast wanted it to work and be fun.

Feig, meanwhile, was just kissing everyone's asses and trying to build his own little empire in the studio.

but again, feig's been on good stuff in the past where he basically did that too. it was just that adoring your comedian actors and letting them improv works well in a sex comedy, or on a sitcom, or whatever. his strength as a director is that he gets out of the way and lets his actors do the material and have freedom to do whatever they want; if they'd had him in charge and given him a script written by someone else it could have been perfectly fine.

on the other hand the script was also written by him and it was poo poo so i guess in the end you're still right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why on earth did they decide the best way to reboot ghostbusters, a movie with a script done by snl and sctv luminaries, was by having some guy whose claim to fame is that he is good at directing other peoples' scripts write it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks jerk. Now I'm thinking of a Ghostbusters movie with John Candy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Exactly. He wrote it, he directed it, he had the dumbass idea of "I'm not going to do the work, you gals just be funny, I'm going to go be the weasely guy from Robocop who wants to edge out Dick Jones and start a whole new company from within even though my idea is poo poo and I'm a clueless jackass".

I mean he literally pitched GHOST CORPS and a 7 picture deal with him at the top of the chain of command before he finished principal photography, which was just him telling everyone else to make him and his movie be funny since he wasn't going to put in the effort.

It is nakedly, transparently obvious he was just banking on other people's labor making him more powerful.

Paul Feig is a loving grifter.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One time I read a biography of John Candy and it had a whole chapter about how if you crossed him he would get all quiet and tell you that he was putting you in John's Gallows and then he would never speak with you again.

I remember even as a babby being all "What a loving goon."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why isnt the movie written by oscar-nominee-and-actual-woman kristen wiig? fuckin answer that, people who think disliking the movie is sexist

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
he seems extremely unsuited for the movie, yeah

like thinking more about it "Ghostbusters, but as a Apatow-style informal loosey-goosey improv-heavy movie" seems like a weird idea that producers wouldn't want to really gamble on

and then they did a terrible job of making that hypothetical movie to boot

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

corn in the bible posted:

if they definitely wanted a wacky improv movie, maybe the ghostbusters should have been.... colin mochrie and ryan styles.

Wow.

Imagine.

What if that had been the gb2016 we got?

I... I... who knows. :unsmith:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

why isnt the movie written by oscar-nominee-and-actual-woman kristen wiig? fuckin answer that, people who think disliking the movie is sexist

Think about the labor of those women having to constantly try to be funny 12 hours a day so a man could start his own studio, and then when the whole thing collapsed he shoved them at the forefront of the "controversy" while keeping his directing, his script, and his grift out of the spotlight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Wow.

Imagine.

What if that had been the gb2016 we got?

I... I... who knows. :unsmith:

imagine colin mochrie doing improv about logos and how hot chris hemsworth is. it would be way better!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ghostbusters' failure was from the top, not the bottom. Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman should take most of the blame. After all, they were the ones who thought it would be a good idea to give this movie to Paul Fieg and market it the way they did. Paul Fieg is a dumbass and a horrible fit for Ghostbusters, but it's not like he hired himself. And it's not like he hasn't ever done anything good in the past.

Ultimately Ghostbusters is a movie that is so beloved and popular that if you make a remake of it, no matter how good it is or who you have do it, it will go over like a turd in a punch bowl. And it was the executives who signed off on the movie. The majority of the blame ultimately should go to them, although Paul Fieg also is largely responsible and is the guy who has caught the most flak and his career has been killed for it. Most of the actresses from Ghosbusters who aren't Melissa McCarthy are pretty decent and it's unfair for them to catch heat for the movie.

This is precisely why the remakes of Star Wars and Jurassic Park were disguised as sequels. Can you imagine what would happen if they did a full on remake of Star Wars? People would loving riot.

You think Ghostbusters made the Internet a shitshow? That would be fuckin' nothing if they did that with Star Wars. People are still raging about the prequels (and a certain someone made big longform reviews for them.)

I guess what I'm saying is buckle up and hold on tight folks because if Episode 8 sucks (and I have a feeling it will) the backlash is gonna be a hell of a ride.

Or, bare with me here, maybe the takeaway from 18 years of widespread internet message boards is that drooling dipshits love pretending to be smart by memorizing the names of a couple of logical fallacies and one or two philosophy talking points and then fill in the gaps with purestrain idiotic horseshit.

I'm not the smartest poster on this dead gay forum, but drat is it obvious that those guys are self sucking morons.

Well, I mean yeah, this is what it actually is.

I'll admit that I'm a complete dumbass and that alone makes the two of us smarter than anyone in CD

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 11, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

They should've cast actual improv comedians, and had improv comedy writer-directors. The cast and crew should've either been people from UCB or The State.

It should've been Wet Hot American Ghostbusting Summer.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
deliberately pushing the feminism angle in the marketing for this fuckin turd and kinda cynically stirring the pot online was pretty gross and probably the most reprehensible thing about the entire production

there's just something kinda...sociopathic about tricking people by appealing to their better nature

not exactly an uncommon marketing tactic but it was really bad here

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

They should've cast actual improv comedians, and had improv comedy writer-directors. The cast and crew should've either been people from UCB or The State.

sandy toksvig IS peter venkwoman

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

deliberately pushing the feminism angle in the marketing for this fuckin turd and kinda cynically stirring the pot online was pretty gross and probably the most reprehensible thing about the entire production

there's just something kinda...sociopathic about tricking people by appealing to their better nature

not exactly an uncommon marketing tactic but it was really bad here

Ding ding ding. And it's not like they're the only ones who have done this by a longshot, it's a trend these days for cynical marketing to try and trick people into thinking they're making the world a better place. Starbucks has been doing this forever. All you have to do is trick stupids into thinking that buying a product is somehow making the world a better place.

Then you have ones that are just so shamefully transparent that even the dumbest of dummies don't believe it. Like when companies such as BP and Exxon run commercials about how they care about the environment and want to save it. LOL come the gently caress on. Does anyone really think Exxon-Mobil really cares about "going green" and ensuring the Earth is a nice planet to live on? The only green they care about is a huge stack of Ben Franklins.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sony is gonna announce a spinoff of GB2016 centred on the finger flipping dean.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I actually dont buy the whole "The original was so good that no matter what a remake/sequel/unterseaboot would be hated" because when has that actually been true ever?

People want to like things. They want to like things that they have liked before. They really do.

So make them something good instead of bad and watch as they like the thing they liked before.... again!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ironically now that ghostbusters has its lovely prequel equivalent the stage is perfectly set for an average ghostbusters reboot ten years down the line to be a massive success purely due to contrast

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Seriously, Sony, you're probably going to be out of business within the year. How much would it kill you to hire me to slap your idiot executives around and tell them they're stupid when someone suggests spending half a billion dollars on a scriptless comedy that everyone will hate sight-unseen because it's a remake?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Thinking that Ghostbusters as middle aged women would be a good idea is underpants gnomes level reasoning. Whoever made that decision and everyone who stood by and didn't try to stop it should be fired.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
My read is that basically the whole production and marketing of Ghostbusters 2016 was a crassly cynical ploy on the part of a studio desperate for a hit, that was executed in such a way that "Jack and Jill" starts to look like a quaint indie film that was a labor of love for the people who made it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ironically now that ghostbusters has its lovely prequel equivalent the stage is perfectly set for an average ghostbusters reboot ten years down the line to be a massive success purely due to contrast

This could almost work.

In 2030 you could make a super low (Hollywood) budget remake, like 10 or 15 mil, and aslong as it's merely okay it would probably pull in 100 mill.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

idea for ghostbusters soft reboot: the ghostbusters, famous for saving new york decades ago, broke up due to the tragic death of egon. now ghosts are back and a new team of believers, inspired by their example, tries to deal with it unsuccessfully for a bit (insert some comedy here cause they're bad at the job?) but ultimately convinces venkman or ray to give them some secret of the technology that egon left in his notes so they can finish their new proton pack design and save the world.

like yeah it'd be poo poo too but at least it wouldn't have ernie hudson as "wacky uncle who owns a used car lot"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

reignofevil posted:

I actually dont buy the whole "The original was so good that no matter what a remake/sequel/unterseaboot would be hated" because when has that actually been true ever?

People want to like things. They want to like things that they have liked before. They really do.

So make them something good instead of bad and watch as they like the thing they liked before.... again!

the main reason people hate ghostbusters 2 is it's just a rehash of the first.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

reignofevil posted:

It's because like it or not, people will always compare it to the original and they go into it with impossible expectations that can never be met. So you basically have to surpass the original or people will be pissed because they're holding these things to really, really high standards.

So I guess I'm saying it's the audience's fault? Well, kind of, but people should know well enough to expect that.

Seriously, Sony, you're probably going to be out of business within the year. How much would it kill you to hire me to slap your idiot executives around and tell them they're stupid when someone suggests spending half a billion dollars on a scriptless comedy that everyone will hate sight-unseen because it's a remake?

That's not how big business works usually, Tom Rothman has been a fuckup and giant rear end in a top hat for DECADES and it's just the underlings who get the flak. Most people haven't even heard of him.

You ever see that Kevin Smith video when he was going to make a superman movie? I mean, you may or may not like Kevin Smith and there's plenty of reasons not to, but the crazy executive he was talking about was Tom Rothman. The same guy responsible for Catwoman, X3 and a bunch of other bombs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2KB1dEDdk

I mean, Paul Fieg is kind of a douche and I don't really feel sorry for him or anything, but it is unfair that all of the blame gets lumped completely on him and his whole career gets tanked because of it. But, well, life really isn't fair.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i don't think people dislike gb2016 just because it's not as good as the original though

like it also just sucks, and is bad

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

idea for ghostbusters soft reboot: the ghostbusters, famous for saving new york decades ago, broke up due to the tragic death of egon. now ghosts are back and a new team of believers, inspired by their example, tries to deal with it unsuccessfully for a bit (insert some comedy here cause they're bad at the job?) but ultimately convinces venkman or ray to give them some secret of the technology that egon left in his notes so they can finish their new proton pack design and save the world.

The standard from all 3 movies is that ghosts were just like here in the real world: something people claim to have seen but no actual documentation and it's easy to be a skeptic.

UNTIL the funky building / evil painting / blue device made the spirit world blend into ours so "sometimes people hear weird noises" becomes full blown "everyone in town is literally looking at all the ghosts".

A soft seaboot is ridiculously easy right there. It's been 45 years since ghosts were a thing because they don't "exist" in our world until something opens the door for them.

Right there's your script, nerdy kid loved reading about Egon and the gang back in the 80's saving the world, and now that he's grown up there's suddenly ghosts again which no one has seen in forever, but he knows all about the gear and poo poo. There's your Ray character.

Super easy. Doesn't poo poo on the original. Everyone but Annie Potts will be dead by 2030 so you don't have to cameo or drag them to press junkets looking defeated. It's perfect. Shoot for a small budget and give the movie to a director. Like an actual director. Not an asskiss that has a cinematographer film everything and an editor try to rescue it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Replacing original well loved movies never works. Ghostbusters 2016 would have had a much better shot being just a sequel.
Imagine if Force Awakens was trying to replace the original star wars, it wouldn't have been successful.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

King Vidiot posted:

Neil Casey and Zach Woods are UCB improv people unless you meant the original UCB troupe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
And yeah, I basically have that Kevin Smith speech memorized.

That's the point. No one ever tells the dipshits at the top NO. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry could tell you a half billion dollar Ghostbusters movie, Superman that doesn't fly and fights a spider, Pluto Nash, Catwoman, etc. are loving BAD IDEAS. But no one hires a sane person to tell them no. That's what I'm joking about.

And 100% yes Paul Feig deserves 100% of the blame. See previous. The studio was going to make it. He grifted getting the job. He grifted the budget. He grifted the actors. He wrote and shot the piece of poo poo. He kissed rear end and tried to start his own company within. He conned everyone. Sony executives are merely stupid and clueless (see: every Sony movie). Feig knew exactly what his con was. And it blew up in his lovely grifter face and he tried to take all the credit then passed all the blame.

Execs hosed up by never telling him no. He hosed up by trying to build an empire out of everyone else's money and labor while contributing gently caress all because he knows he's a fraud that got where he is because of Kristen Wiig's writing and nothing else. But he does know the studio system.

Feig can not get a pass. The con man isn't innocent just because people got conned.

• Locked thread