Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
It's always worth it. The available consumer wireless technology is simply poo poo. Maybe there are better options if you're a bazillionare, but not for normal people. A bird, a plane, a cloud or just the stars properly aligned and it all goes to poo poo. For unimportant devices (tablets, smartphones) sure as nobody cares if the download needs to be restarted or page X didn't load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

I just finished doing several cat5 runs at my new house. I had an electrician do them at my old place but for some dumb reason decided to do it myself this time. If anyone is ever thinking of doing this as a little project at home just take my advice and pay someone else to do it. My place is 20 years old, no centralized runs, decent conduit or etc. I had to drill through some of the studs, read up on fire code about 20 times then finally do the fish/pulls.

I ran out of time last night so I still have to go home later, do the terminations, install the wallplates and test everything. The end result will be worth it or so I keep telling myself. I do a lot of gaming and wireless loving sucks for it. I really wanted my NAS hardwired too and powerline stuff is just super disappointing when it comes to transfer speeds. I basically put a cat5 run in each major room except for the bathroom/kitchen. I left some spare stuff in the walls too, just in case.

I'll post some pics later of the before/after when it's all finally done. Doing a little ghetto IKEA server setup in the basement.

I paid an electrical firm £1300 for 4 drops in 4 rooms and terminating them at a patch panel in my office. Worth every penny.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I wish I had just paid someone to do it, my back is killing me. At least the hard part is over. I just need to do the punchdowns and cobble together a setup in the basement. I really hate making cables and doing punchdowns, its not difficult at all its just very tedious.

quote:

I paid an electrical firm £1300 for 4 drops in 4 rooms and terminating them at a patch panel in my office. Worth every penny.

I don't have a patch panel handy, I think I tossed it in the move by accident. I think I'll just do the basement ends with RJ45 and toss them directly into the switch. I can always order a patch panel later and then redo it but I'm sure this will be fine. I left a lot of slack on the cables for future revision or if I gently caress up my terminations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Gunslinger posted:

I think I'll just do the basement ends with RJ45 and toss them directly into the switch. I can always order a patch panel later and then redo it but I'm sure this will be fine. I left a lot of slack on the cables for future revision or if I gently caress up my terminations.

The big motivation to never make your own patch cables, or crimp a cable run is twofold:

1) Every time you flex the cable you're loosening your crimp, or bending the copper conductors until they fatigue and break.
2) If you accidentally yank on your cable run, it's better to have a failure point in the jack housing, the keystone punchdowns, or at the jack-patch cable connection... instead of a cable getting yanked so that it breaks/kinks halfway down the line in the wall.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Also no patch panel looks terrible. Please spend the $3 incl shipping on monoprice and do it right.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think its really worthwhile for nerds to wire their own house because you know exactly what was done and how. I mean, its a great learning experience at the very least.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't have a patch panel handy, I think I tossed it in the move by accident. I think I'll just do the basement ends with RJ45 and toss them directly into the switch. I can always order a patch panel later and then redo it but I'm sure this will be fine. I left a lot of slack on the cables for future revision or if I gently caress up my terminations.

They're seriously cheap. Ten or twenty bucks a pop on amazon. Get em overnighted. You won't regret it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

redeyes posted:

I think its really worthwhile for nerds to wire their own house because you know exactly what was done and how. I mean, its a great learning experience at the very least.

Couldn't disagree more. Running wiring is not a skill that nerds need to know unless it is something that specifically interests them.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Couldn't disagree more. Running wiring is not a skill that nerds need to know unless it is something that specifically interests them.

Any learning experience is worthwhile in and of itself. Learning Klingon is worthwhile, not to mention pulling a network wire. But, since we have a relatively short lifespan is important to prioritize. Sitting on my rear end drinking beer is the only thing not worthwhile.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Counter-point nerds should learn budgeting. 1300 pound Sterling for 4 drops is lol.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

Counter-point nerds should learn budgeting. 1300 pound Sterling for 4 drops is lol.

I have run cable professionally, and honestly, in some of the ancient construction that exists in England, that's probably how much I'd want to charge.

Although, I think we usually charge customers $150/drop for most of the projects we do. Most of the time we come out ahead, but there are some drops that are just a bitch to pull.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

I know how to pull cable. I still paid somebody else to pull 2x6 locations for $2500 in my house. Worth every penny - especially when I came in after them and used their pull paths to run speaker wire for surround sound and coxial cable TV.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

I know how to pull cable. I still paid somebody else to pull 2x6 locations for $2500 in my house. Worth every penny - especially when I came in after them and used their pull paths to run speaker wire for surround sound and coxial cable TV.

For a business $2500 is nothing so it makes sense. But I don't think I'd pay someone that much to do it for the house when I know I'm capable.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Volguus posted:

For a business $2500 is nothing so it makes sense. But I don't think I'd pay someone that much to do it for the house when I know I'm capable.

Drilling through joists and snaking blind holes is either the third or fourth ring of hell. I forget which exactly.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CrazyLittle posted:

Drilling through joists and snaking blind holes is either the third or fourth ring of hell. I forget which exactly.

Some would call it "type 2" fun.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ihmemies posted:

Some would call it "type 2" fun.

It's doing #2 alright

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Also no patch panel looks terrible. Please spend the $3 incl shipping on monoprice and do it right.

Ok point taken, I stopped by CanadaComputers after work and grabbed a patch panel along with some small patch cables for the switch.

Next weekend is wiring the home theater!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Sorry to interrupt #homecablingchat but I was wondering if anyone had ideas as to my router issues above.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

EconOutlines posted:

Sorry to interrupt #homecablingchat but I was wondering if anyone had ideas as to my router issues above.

Yeah if your router's uncomfortably hot to to the touch it's not going to last more than a few years.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

EconOutlines posted:

It looks like my RT-AC66U might be starting to die after some Google-Fu & troubleshooting.

The last month or so, my wireless devices will have entirely poor connectivity, to the point where I have to restart the router, where the issue where (usually) resolve itself, possibly for a few hours.

I live in a 500 sq/ft studio, which has never been an issue before, plus wired tests from my desktop (at the time of said slow downs) show normal speeds.

Plus, there seems to be excessive heat coming from it to the touch, despite having adequate airflow. It, along with the modem and a small Synology, are placed on the lower level of this VEJMON.

Any other tests I can do before going the Ubiquiti route? This was purchased as an Amazon Warehouse Deal in Oct 2015, but you'd think it would last me longer than that...

I've seen people mod these with a fan on the case, but I'd guess something is wrong yours is running too hot. You could try a third party firmware to see if it behaves better, mod in a small fan, or just replace it.
I haven't done it myself but here's one guy's video on putting a fan in the case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8lzxU5vGcI

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm at 40 days of uptime on a wrt1900acs with ddwrt. 41 days ago I was about to toss this thing into the trash because linksys apparently can't write firmware for their own products worth a drat. Nine months of dealing with daily dropouts, random bandwidth choking and not playing nice with any repeaters solved in one third party flash.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

zer0spunk posted:

I'm at 40 days of uptime on a wrt1900acs with ddwrt. 41 days ago I was about to toss this thing into the trash because linksys apparently can't write firmware for their own products worth a drat. Nine months of dealing with daily dropouts, random bandwidth choking and not playing nice with any repeaters solved in one third party flash.

Why is this the same story for the last 10 years?! Mikrotik baby!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
My pc is linked to my router via ethernet cable but is out of range of the wifi signal. If I get a usb wifi dongle could my phone/tv use my pc's wired connection?

I realise this is possibly a really obvious question but I wanted to make sure before I ordered one.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Jippa posted:

My pc is linked to my router via ethernet cable but is out of range of the wifi signal. If I get a usb wifi dongle could my phone/tv use my pc's wired connection?

I realise this is possibly a really obvious question but I wanted to make sure before I ordered one.

I think a better approach would be to just put a second wireless router/access point at your PC and set it up to be a single network (don't use the WAN port, disable DHCP, set static IP for the router, use same SSID but different channels, etc.). Then you can plug your PC into that router, and have one big happy WIFI network for your phone to roam around.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Jippa posted:

You can do this by bridging the network connection, but the performance/range might be disappointing. Smax ^^^ has the better permanent solution.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Why is this the same story for the last 10 years?! Mikrotik baby!

Routers, routers never change. I'm still using an airport extreme which actually has a fan because cooling is a good idea.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If ethernet cable is running to one PC, is there any way use a spare network card to chain a second PC to that connection? If the first one is usually powered but switched off? I know I could connect both to a spare router but am trying not to.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just buy a cheap switch.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chop Sunni posted:

If ethernet cable is running to one PC, is there any way use a spare network card to chain a second PC to that connection? If the first one is usually powered but switched off? I know I could connect both to a spare router but am trying not to.

Sure, add the adapter to the machine. Get into Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections and right click the Internet connected Ethernet adapter, properties. Click the sharing Tab and Tick Allow other network users to connect through this computers Internet connetion. Choose the free Network adapter for the Home networking connection drop-down. Lastly plug the 2nd computer into the free adapter and bam, should be golden.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Just use a cheap switch.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-5-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY/

or if you need gigabit

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-5-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000N99BBC/?th=1

Or run another cable back to your existing router/switch.

While it's technically possible to do what you want, it's not a good idea.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
He says the first computer is usually turned off. So not only is it not a good idea, it just wouldn't work at all.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks for the advice and recommendations - I'll use the spare ddwrt router or get one of those cheap switches (or, ideally find a very cheap 3rd EOP plug to join the current circuit).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Just use a cheap switch.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-5-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY/

or if you need gigabit

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-5-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000N99BBC/?th=1

Or run another cable back to your existing router/switch.

While it's technically possible to do what you want, it's not a good idea.

Why would you link anyone for any purpose to a below-gigabit device in this day and age?

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Any recommendations for an unmanaged 8-16 port switch with POE+ for CCTV purposes? If 8 port would also need an uplink port (preferably gigabit).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

In general, there is no reason to buy non-gigabit devices.

However, PoE switches that are non-gigabit are more prevalent and significantly cheaper than gigabit ones. But I bet 95% of use cases in the home do not need a PoE switch.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Veinless posted:

Any recommendations for an unmanaged 8-16 port switch with POE+ for CCTV purposes? If 8 port would also need an uplink port (preferably gigabit).

Can't go wrong with HP Procurve switches (check on ebay for used ones).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Steakandchips posted:

Can't go wrong with HP Procurve switches (check on ebay for used ones).

Mostly.. I got a huge 48 port one that was 'barely used' and I discovered that was because any time it loses power it loses all its settings. Luckly I don't really need the managed part of the thing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

redeyes posted:

Mostly.. I got a huge 48 port one that was 'barely used' and I discovered that was because any time it loses power it loses all its settings. Luckly I don't really need the managed part of the thing.

Please tell me this is because no one told you that you have to commit from running-config to startup-config.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SEKCobra posted:

Please tell me this is because no one told you that you have to commit from running-config to startup-config.

I looked up the manual and all, definitely committed the config. Last power outtage the IP address changed back to default and I haven't fixed it nor checked what changed other than the IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have bought four used HP Procurve switches so far, all have worked flawlessly. Guess you got a dud.