Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hello everyone don't worry we've safely arrived at peak capitalism - where the gig economy meets the cartoonishly rich:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ofc/6256376954.html

Literally "we need a wageslave who will pretend to be our friend."

They want a high-class butler, but they aren't willing to pay anywhere close to what a good butler costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

golden bubble posted:

They want a high-class butler, but they aren't willing to pay anywhere close to what a good butler costs.

Seriously. Some of that is something a housekeeper can do, but $35 an hour will get them zero people with experience supporting a CXO of anything larger than a tiny enterprise.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hello everyone don't worry we've safely arrived at peak capitalism - where the gig economy meets the cartoonishly rich:

quote:

* You're able to help push my father in a wheelchair when he visits (stroke).

Not a problem individually, but I don't think I can do them simultaneously?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KingSlime posted:

pretty sure that's not what we're talking about

E: ohh gently caress new page, okay

My friend who is in her mid 20's just finished an online degree in HR (which had added quite a nasty loan burden on her life). What is she gonna do with it?

Well she just got hired at a car dealership for $12/hr, no benefits, terrible shift, 20-30 hours a week.

She's getting the gig because her brother (who is in high school) is being promoted to a slightly better gig

This same friend is also thinking of leasing a car from said dealership because, and I quote, "they are so loving CUTE"

I'd argue for a Mini dealership based on the cute thing, but on second thought it's almost certainly an FCA store, $12/hr no benefits sounds like FCA.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

crazypeltast52 posted:

Seriously. Some of that is something a housekeeper can do, but $35 an hour will get them zero people with experience supporting a CXO of anything larger than a tiny enterprise.

What would a position like that typically pay?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The people I know who support SV CXOs make six figures.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Subjunctive posted:

The people I know who support SV CXOs make six figures.

The subtle line people don't realize with good personal assistants or butlers is that they make your load 10x easier when they're good at what they do. When they're bad, they make your load 10x harder because now you need to go back and unfuck everything.

Those people making six figures are the ones that are making loads easier. The ones willing to take $15/hr are going to make your life 10x harder.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dick Nipples posted:

The subtle line people don't realize with good personal assistants or butlers is that they make your load 10x easier when they're good at what they do.

I miss my FB admins almost literally every workday.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Subjunctive posted:

Ah yes - admins at work (I work for a big software company) are like this too. I hadn't even thought of that. Even for front-of-line engineers, they can make your life so much easier - never mind the manager/executive they support.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

crazypeltast52 posted:

Due to high interest, they are now offering $15-35 per hour instead of $25-35 per hour. Minimum wage in SF is $14 ($15 in July 2018).

This can't possibly go wrong.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Having been a PA and looked for jobs as a PA, that description is... not as unusual as you'd think. PAs fall into a few categories. Some are more work-related and "professional" (think executive assistants or estate managers) and some are also your friend, therapist, and confidant (personal assistants) while also being a professional. The kind of PA they're looking for here is basically a replacement for a stay at home spouse. I mean, look at that job description. It sounds sort of like a dating profile. Considering the kind of relationship this sort of PA has with their principal, that's not unusual. They're basically a hired house-spouse, complete with required emotional labor.

That said, the pay is loving laughable. They want someone with C-suite experience who is willing to work out of their house/apartment and do all the stuff they're describing? As others have mentioned, that's six figure level competence and experience. Also, they sound like they've never worked with a PA before, so they have no idea how to utilize or manage one, and they aren't willing to pay for an experienced one who will walk them through adjusting to having a PA.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

A family friend brought his admin with him when he left his F500 employer. I'm not sure what that cost, but I'm sure pulling someone of that skill level out of a company of that size with all the benefits that come with that was not cheap.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

quote:

* Able to protect a dog from being attacked by another dog

* Practiced in self defense or fighting styles (you can protect someone who is in danger)

It's pretty sad there's so much interest in a job requiring you to risk life and limb for near minimum wage in SF.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Enfys posted:

It's pretty sad there's so much interest in a job requiring you to risk life and limb for near minimum wage in SF.

You have to be able to defend the dog with sweet kung-fu moves and also you will loving smile while cleaning up its poo poo and puke dammit!!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

golden bubble posted:

*ashes cigarillo, leans back on chaise lounge* yes yes not even close to what a good butler costs mmmmmmm

Jan 11, 2004

Commissar Kayla posted:

Having been a PA and looked for jobs as a PA, that description is... not as unusual as you'd think. PAs fall into a few categories. Some are more work-related and "professional" (think executive assistants or estate managers) and some are also your friend, therapist, and confidant (personal assistants) while also being a professional. The kind of PA they're looking for here is basically a replacement for a stay at home spouse. I mean, look at that job description. It sounds sort of like a dating profile. Considering the kind of relationship this sort of PA has with their principal, that's not unusual. They're basically a hired house-spouse, complete with required emotional labor.

That said, the pay is loving laughable. They want someone with C-suite experience who is willing to work out of their house/apartment and do all the stuff they're describing? As others have mentioned, that's six figure level competence and experience. Also, they sound like they've never worked with a PA before, so they have no idea how to utilize or manage one, and they aren't willing to pay for an experienced one who will walk them through adjusting to having a PA.

I suspect they will get approximately one hundred million billion applications for this job offering up to $70k plus overtime

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I suspect they will get approximately one hundred million billion applications for this job offering up to $70k plus overtime

I don't know that they'll be getting sufficient qualified applicants, though, this job basically asks for someone with the qualifications of a personal chef, a maid, an executive assistant and an animal trainer all in one.

edit: in the interest of full disclosure I did apply for this position with the caveat that my fee would be $500 an hour.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

golden bubble posted:

A high-class butler doesn't walk your dog and clean up vomit, he tells the hall boy and the the scullery maid to do that. Your butler only handles housekeeping if you are a shiftless bachelor like Wooster or an eccentric misanthrope like Bruce Wayne and can't keep a proper staff on.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Max of 5 drinks a week? Jesus loving christ, dealing with divas like them I'm gonna need one good bender a weekend for sure and I don't want them keeping track of it.

Also this is triggering me hard

quote:

tone as exercise

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ashcans posted:

A high-class butler doesn't walk your dog and clean up vomit, he tells the hall boy and the the scullery maid to do that. Your butler only handles housekeeping if you are a shiftless bachelor like Wooster or an eccentric misanthrope like Bruce Wayne and can't keep a proper staff on.

Imagine the audacity of these petit bourgeois to think they can roll up all of the duties of a literal household of servants into one job for $15 an hour for 40 hours a week. I bet if there was a baby in the mix (I guess here played by "Doggo") they'd want that taken care of too.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I can almost taste these modern day success stories drafting this "genius plan" among a constellation of overpriced furniture in a modest, messy living space while sipping Napa wine and smiling like, "we've got it figured out, we're just smarter than everyone! Gig economy!"

I hope their company craters harder than Theranos.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I can almost taste these modern day success stories drafting this "genius plan" among a constellation of overpriced furniture in a modest, messy living space while sipping Napa wine and smiling like, "we've got it figured out, we're just smarter than everyone! Gig economy!"

I hope their company craters harder than Theranos.

Open with a funny meme picture so people know that actually we're cool and normal and read reddit, just like them!

e: ahaha I must have missed them dropping the price to near-minimum wage jfc

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Quick, someone on the west coast set up a Butlr app that lets educated, discrete, formally trained assistants bid pennies on the dollar to do your lovely grunt work.

Edit: I would be legitimately surprised if there isn't already an app for getting people to do all your random poo poo for you for subhuman wages.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Quick, someone on the west coast set up a Butlr app that lets educated, discrete, formally trained assistants bid pennies on the dollar to do your lovely grunt work.

Edit: I would be legitimately surprised if there isn't already an app for getting people to do all your random poo poo for you for subhuman wages.

It's called TaskRabbit, yes

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait...they want their dog walker/chef/housecleaner/personal assistant to be a skilled carpenter also? WTF?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

quote:

(you have long hair and know how to brush tangled hair without causing pain)

Mommy? :kiddo:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
All of you goons with knowledge of butlers/assistants impress me. Is this a NYC/Silicon Valley thing?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I just assumed everyone commenting about butlers was a big fan of You Rang M'Lord?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
They probably could get someone reasonably qualified if the couple was attractive and willing to enter a BDSM relationship with the assistant/slave. Given that this is in SF, quite a few of the applicants probably hope it turns into something like that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Konstantin posted:

They probably could get someone reasonably qualified if the couple was attractive and willing to enter a BDSM relationship with the assistant/slave. Given that this is in SF, quite a few of the applicants probably hope it turns into something like that.

Houseboys are a lot more needy than this couple could handle.

Just gonna have to trust me on this one.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I just assumed everyone commenting about butlers was a big fan of You Rang M'Lord?
I actually just really love Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, although I am sure there are a bunch of old-money families in the NE who have real butlers and traditional staff.

ate all the Oreos posted:

It's called TaskRabbit, yes
Of course someone already did it. Do they cover basic life tasks like brushing your hair, though? (technically the job of a Lady's Maid or Valet)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I actually just really love Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, although I am sure there are a bunch of old-money families in the NE who have real butlers and traditional staff.

Of course someone already did it. Do they cover basic life tasks like brushing your hair, though? (technically the job of a Lady's Maid or Valet)

It's mostly aimed towards handyman tasks but I'm 100% certain if you asked someone on taskrabbit to brush your hair in San Francisco you would get plenty of offers

Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't know that they'll be getting sufficient qualified applicants, though, this job basically asks for someone with the qualifications of a personal chef, a maid, an executive assistant and an animal trainer all in one.

edit: in the interest of full disclosure I did apply for this position with the caveat that my fee would be $500 an hour.

I think these people sound insane to work for and there is no human qualified to do literally everything on this list (lol "investment research") but I am sure they will get a bunch of reasonable 20-something college educated humans willing to put up with two bay area DINKs for a couple of years while learning life lessons, juggling relationships, and discovering themselves along the way. Also this is basically the plot of The Devil Wears Prada so there's that too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I'm 99% sure from the context you're not brushing the person's hair, you're brushing the dog's hair.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Everything I know about butlers, I learned from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ashcans posted:

Yeah, Jeeves is a valet rather than a butler if I remember rightly, so his responsibilities are a bit different. Plus Jeeves is basically a superhero.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I know everything from the movie Clue.

"And what do you do, Wadsworth?"

"I'm the butler. I butle."

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also I'm 99% sure from the context you're not brushing the person's hair, you're brushing the dog's hair.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

crazypeltast52 posted:

A family friend brought his admin with him when he left his F500 employer. I'm not sure what that cost, but I'm sure pulling someone of that skill level out of a company of that size with all the benefits that come with that was not cheap.

If I hadn't been moving to a different country, I would definitely have tried to make that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nail Rat posted:

Everything I know about butlers, I learned from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
:same: also The Nanny.