Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like him and what he's doing but man he could really get to the point a lot faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I've got a couple games that I would really enjoy a review on- is it kosher to post those here?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

empty whippet box posted:

I like him and what he's doing but man he could really get to the point a lot faster.

95% of his videos dont start with a preamble like that. apparently people get really annoyed when he doesnt quench their bloodlust, so he felt the need for that warning to his viewers

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

I've got a couple games that I would really enjoy a review on- is it kosher to post those here?

Sure, that's kinda the point. fire it up!

edit: although like, one at a time, eh?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

impulse 7 effect posted:

Sure, that's kinda the point. fire it up!

edit: although like, one at a time, eh?

gently caress that I'm dumping my whole catalog! Make me 10 stones stronger, minions!

... I'll get one up later today once I get some free time. Thanks!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

derp posted:

95% of his videos dont start with a preamble like that. apparently people get really annoyed when he doesnt quench their bloodlust, so he felt the need for that warning to his viewers

It's really consistent throughout his videos from what I've seen. I want to leave a comment about it but I kinda think he'll get butthurt

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
ITGO expired a few hours ago. =(

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Really, really trying not to worry about rank but god it is so frustrating to regress so far back that I can't even beat 10k players anymore. I think I'd lose to a 17k as black with 9 handicaps at this point. I'm genuinely getting worse and worse the more I study and try to get better :\

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
pretty much the exact thing happened to me when i reached sdk the first time, fell back down to like 12k and had to work my may slowly back up again. was missing some fundamental thing probably i dunno

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Post some games, let's look at them.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Xom posted:

Post some games, let's look at them.

Sorry I thought I'd be finished with a couple by now but they're dragging out a bit. I generally only play correspondence :/ life gets in the way

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Does anyone happen to have that hardcore image from some go manga where a kid gets challenged to 4-d go by some multidimensional being?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

My initial thought is that 4D go wouldn't work very well because a lone stone would have 8 liberties (north, south, east, west, above, below, forward in time, backward in time) and would thus be too hard to capture, tilting the game strongly towards defense. Maybe you could generalize it differently though so that a lone stone still had only 4 liberties, but the direction of those liberties changed depending on the location of the stone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I like that 4D go is apparently played on a JavaScript 4D Rubix Cube

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Uhh, if time is the 4th dimension, then we already play 3D Go. We just sort of skip the z-axis.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

VikingofRock posted:

My initial thought is that 4D go wouldn't work very well because a lone stone would have 8 liberties (north, south, east, west, above, below, forward in time, backward in time) and would thus be too hard to capture, tilting the game strongly towards defense. Maybe you could generalize it differently though so that a lone stone still had only 4 liberties, but the direction of those liberties changed depending on the location of the stone.
That would make a lot of sense. If you made 3D Go that way, it would look like this except with the one-liberty points removed:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Actually four liberties per intersection is probably not enough to really feel four-dimensional, by the following reasoning. If you have two liberties per intersection on a two-dimensional lattice, the best you can do is a space-filling curve. So I would guess that three liberties per intersection in three dimensions gets you no more than a space-filling surface, and that four liberties per intersection gets you no more than a space-filling 3D manifold. That's my guess. I didn't study math in college.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
The essence of what you're saying is right. Unfortunately, a lot of 5-liberty points probably makes for a worse game, for the reasons VikingofRock laid out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What about toroidal Go, is that any good?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

PerniciousKnid posted:

What about toroidal Go, is that any good?

It's pretty playable, but you need to do a lot of work to build a base since you don't have corners/edges to build off of. Because of that, a lot of interesting opening theory gets thrown away without much interesting to replace it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Honestly, I think that people that pretend to be bored with a game that has more legal board moves than there are known particles in the universe are kinda dumb.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Overwined posted:

Honestly, I think that people that pretend to be bored with a game that has more legal board moves than there are known particles in the universe are kinda dumb.

I think a large reason people get bored/frustrated with go is when they stop improving and sometimes you just want to do something different/new. The game is always fun when you're playing but I completely understand why people slow down and eventually move on to other hobbies. I took two years off and just started playing again and I have no idea how long I'll play for this time.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Overwined posted:

It's weird to see someone who thinks the number of legal boards a game has matters also argue against creating variants of games that increase the number of legal boards.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Hey guys, after having a baby and all sorts of other wonderful personal things I'm back to trying this Go thing again, what's the current KGS incarnation of ITGo? Was on before as tonberi, no relation to the much better player/poster tonberitoby (was it?), now on as totopi.

Clawing my way up from 18k after around a year off and would love any help available!

tonberi fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 21, 2017

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
ITGO just expired for inactivity again. Discord will have to do.

EDIT: https://discord.gg/aWTrnv4
This Discord is also linked in the OP

I will also shamelessly plug my guide for newbies: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2891609&pagenumber=149&perpage=20#post428800491

Xom fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 15, 2018

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I dreamt this morning that I went to a Go meetup where they were learning the game on boards like this:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Xom posted:

I dreamt this morning that I went to a Go meetup where they were learning the game on boards like this:

:aaaaa:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Step 1: begin game, make some clever moves, get ahead of opponent by a very large margin
Step 2: make a mistake
Step 3: make a dumber, bigger mistake
Step 4: make a mistake so stupid that you begin seriously questioning whether you are, in fact, retarded
Step 5: get flustered and resign
Step 6: review the game and find out you were still winning and shouldn't have resigned
Step 7: seppekku

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm in the process of recreating ITGO but we need people to actually join KGS and hang out in the room or it will just die again. Anyone want to reorganize the ITGO ladder? I'll be active for at least a couple of months before I disappear again. I'm probably 1k-1d on KGS.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I have re-added everyone who had access.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also hit me up on Discord and I'll review as many games for as many people as I can in ITGO. My advice is suspect but I'll try :).

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I play my dad all the time, even games without handicaps, even though I'm 7k+ and he's 13k. This fucker still beats me sometimes. Like just now. He loses to other 13k players and makes the kind of moves you'd expect a 13k player to make....except when he plays me, suddenly he can hang.

I'm actually glad he wins sometimes, because I feel bad beating him like 50 times in a row, but I swear I'm trying my hardest and not letting him win. Somehow fatherly knowledge prevails and I inexplicably lose sometimes. :psyduck:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'd like a review (10k), if anyone has time. https://online-go.com/game/9429587

I'm playing as black. My biggest things that I noticed were that I should have played M6 much sooner (like around move 72 or so), and I completely misread my attempted reduction at C12 on move 129--it should have been D12 instead. I ended up winning the game by just a few points, mostly due to winning a messy double-ko fight near the end. But I think there's still a lot I could learn from a review of this game.

edit: looks like this game bumped me to 9k. Woohoo, SDK at last!

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 5, 2017

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

I'm playing as black. My biggest things that I noticed were that I should have played M6 much sooner (like around move 72 or so), and I completely misread my attempted reduction at C12 on move 129--it should have been D12 instead. I ended up winning the game by just a few points, mostly due to winning a messy double-ko fight near the end. But I think there's still a lot I could learn from a review of this game.

If no one beats me to it I'll review tomorrow. Your Haskell (I think?) posts were always interesting.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VikingofRock posted:

just gonna comment as i go through the game -

move 11- what if w had taken f4 here and then cut your stone off? the knight's move was not very secure here, I can't say I know how the variations would have played out but careful, that move looked dangerous to me

15 - w coulda extended down to b2, probably would have at least gotten a ko out of it

move 25 - man, don't try to be too fancy. he induced you to take d15, giving yourself a nice shape to develop, and you went with some weird poo poo instead that left one of your stones out to dry and gave him good shape and territory

43 - it's not that your move here was bad per se but that there were bigger moves to make. white's next move pretty much makes this point for me, you could have threatened that floating group white had on the bottom and taken that entire lower side for yourself and maybe forced him to run to the center.

46 - see what I'm sayin' about that knight's move?

55 - what was your goal here exactly? it's kind of just 'plop a stone down wherever' kinda move for me, it doesn't threaten anything, it's begging to be cut off from the closest black stones to it...pretty much asking for trouble imo. white's response to this more or less proves my point

73 - if i was white here, I'd have cut your rear end so quick at o7

79 - i feel like you are a little loose with your two space jumps, I can't definitely say this was a totally bad one but it definitely made me nervous and didn't seem to have a definite purpose to me

93 - what was the point of this? was it to attack? if so, it didn't do that job well; if to defend, it didn't do that well either except that your opponent graciously didn't simply gut your territory in response to it because he wasn't certain he had eye space (he did)

129 - you could have lived here IMO. instead of d9 followup just flatted out a line underneath by threatening to connect through the holes and then make them eyes

I'm only like 7k so take all this with a grain of salt. I'm sleepy so I'll check out the rest of the game tomorrow

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
19: You can consider L3 instead to unsettle your opponent's stones, but there's nothing wrong with this
21: L3 instead?
25: D10 is far enough away that you shouldn't play this way
27: Makes your stones heavy and kills aji of the left side stone, very bad
See how your stones aren't surrounding territory up to 31? Your opponent can hop right into the top side, and the left side has become solid points for him.
39: The default move in this kind of situation is double hane, not extend
43: Doesn't defend against anything, and doesn't really pressure White
45: Doesn't pressure white, doesn't defend black, E17 is really big
47: Why not f5?
55: What does this move accomplish?
57 to 71: This sequence serves no purpose for Black except to weaken everything. Try to realize that you're playing sequences like this sooner so you can cut your losses immediately
72: if at q3, black's corner is in big trouble
85: generally useful idea: keep your opponent's groups "one-dimensional". a string-shaped group of stones tends to be in much more danger than a rectangle-shaped group. m10 is a good move.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm starting to defeat (pandanet)7k+ players handily, 6k here I come :woop: :woop:

few things as satisfying as noticeably improving at go, for me anyway. Really wish ya'll goons played on pandanet, I just cannot get over how much I hate the KGS interface.

In fact I won my last two against 7k+ by 40 points and 17 points. Feels good man.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 7, 2017

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
the kgs interface is perfect in every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shadonra posted:

the kgs interface is perfect in every way

It's so ugly compared to IGS. I've also never been able to get a game for some reason. On IGS I can get a game anytime within a couple minutes, frequently instantly.

Plus I swear I've downloaded KGS twice and I can't find it on my computer anyway. That's me being a dumbass though, I assume.

well, I downloaded it again and am on as littleprof. I'll just leave it open, I guess.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 7, 2017