Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

nerd_of_prey posted:

The worst thing I saw was someone in my team put a beacon on our own spawn point, WHY??

Sometimes that's a "hey fuckers we have beacons, use them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I've been running into more and more really good chargers. I know the above poster mentioned flush them out with specials, but are there any other methods I should use? The Tick Rate makes it exceptionally hard as well when you don't even see the shot and just get splatted.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Rexroom posted:

If you're letting chargers dictate the pace, you're doing it wrong. You need to flush them out asap, with specials if need be.
I've been at this since the map became a thing, lets not pretend chargers are incapable of running away and dodging a huge chunk of the time. Basically turns the game into a 3v3 while me and said person play cat and mouse. It's so loving dumb, gently caress Towers.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the only thing that stops a bad guy with a charger is a good guy with a charger

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The Bloop posted:

I did this once, entirely by accident. Then I had to live with my shame for three looong minutes.

Or jump to it to erase your shame.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Emong posted:

Sometimes that's a "hey fuckers we have beacons, use them"

how do you use beacons? are they kit with certain weapons or ?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

Or jump to it to erase your shame.

No, I had earned that shame. I suffered it because I had cussed out other idiots for doing the same thing.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I thought it wouldn't happen at S+, but I just saw three teammates spam 'This Way!' after I managed to splat the whole opposing team and no one picked up the Rainmaker until I (and the other team) respawned. They didn't even really gain any ground or anything.

C'mon...

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

well why not posted:

how do you use beacons? are they kit with certain weapons or ?

Dapple Dualies and the Krak-on Roller have beakons as the sub weapon.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

yergacheffe posted:

Aviators with ink saver are up on Splatnet for 8 hours!! Get you some!

It's Ink Saver Main, by the way. Thanks! I've been needing a fashionable piece of head gear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

I've been at this since the map became a thing, lets not pretend chargers are incapable of running away and dodging a huge chunk of the time. Basically turns the game into a 3v3 while me and said person play cat and mouse. It's so loving dumb, gently caress Towers.

If not their team guarding the Charger so he can hold the midground with impunity. Yes, your Tenta Missiles distracted them for all of five seconds. Oh wait, he's back and denying both Splat Zones again :nallears:.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

pichupal posted:

I thought it wouldn't happen at S+, but I just saw three teammates spam 'This Way!' after I managed to splat the whole opposing team and no one picked up the Rainmaker until I (and the other team) respawned. They didn't even really gain any ground or anything.

C'mon...

People in S rank seem to be allergic to the rainmaker.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So many times I pick up the Rainmaker with 2-3 teammates around me and then they just......don't follow me. Like at all. They kinda just stay where they are, or go dogfight with every other member of the opposing team except the ones who are actually attacking me.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The top three bosses pubbies ignore in Salmon Run are Sting Ray Towers, the Flyfish, and the Rainmaker. Incidentally these are also the three bosses that will gently caress up a round the most because the ink they leave and the damage they inflict greatly gently caress up Inkling mobility to deal with other bosses

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The top three bosses pubbies ignore in Salmon Run are Sting Ray Towers, the Flyfish, and the Rainmaker. Incidentally these are also the three bosses that will gently caress up a round the most because the ink they leave and the damage they inflict greatly gently caress up Inkling mobility to deal with other bosses

I consider those bosses to have a lot of synergy with the other bosses that are much less dangerous on their own. A Maws for example can be difficult to escape from when you're getting covered in ink from the Rainmaker or trying to dodge the String Ray. Similarly Steel Heads and Steel Eels are dangerous when your mobility is being taken from you slowly.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Here is how you deal with flyfish quickly and cleanly:

"Flyfish at <location>, I'll get right"
"I've got left"

And then the other two kill trash so the first two can do their thing.

If you're playing with pubbies, what you should do is stop doing that, come to the discord (link is in the Switch thread's OP), and ask if anyone wants to play salmon run :v:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Dr. VooDoo posted:

In my experience pubbies almost always focus on rainmakers to a detriment. They're not directly dangerous on their own and they're usually nearby therefore they're idiot magnets.

The boss that fucks me over the most is probably the steel eel. All it takes is two people ignoring it and suddenly you're headed for a wipe.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Solo Queue, No Voice Chat 4 lyfe

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the worst part of pubbies and steel eels is when they gently caress up the kite and wrap it around itself so you can't reach the weak point anymore

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm excited to finally use a brella in multiplayer. I have some ideas for strategies in ranked with them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finally managed to eke out a win in this Salmon Run. If I get rolled the charger, it's pretty much a guaranteed loss for our team. I'm insanely bad with it. Still have managed to not get demoted from overachiever somehow though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Moray Towers is an utter trainwreck dominated by Chargers, or anything that can dump ink into the middle ground really, and has been since it was introduced. It's even worse in Splatoon 2, because for some inane reason the Splat Zones are both in prime Charger-spam no-man's-land.

At least they added rails that lead to the prime sniper nests. The only thing I enjoy about that lovely map is riding them up and destroying the chargers who are paying no attention to their surroundings.

Escobarbarian posted:

So many times I pick up the Rainmaker with 2-3 teammates around me and then they just......don't follow me. Like at all. They kinda just stay where they are, or go dogfight with every other member of the opposing team except the ones who are actually attacking me.

I usually get this, but one glorious round we wiped out the enemy team at the start and I was able to paint a path straight to the goal, and after spamming "This Way!" for 5 seconds straight they actually followed it.

It made me so proud :allears:

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 11, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Those rails suck though because if you're playing against a not brain dead charger that's the easier shot in the world to eliminate people

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah against a charger those rails are only worth activating as a distraction.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What's the next weapon set for Splatoon.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If they're paying attention to you, stutter your way up and down the rail until they take a shot, then gun it. You can also jump off early in some situations, especially on Moray Towers with the lower platform on the side. Finally, you can jump off the rails at the end and choose the direction to go, so don't just go straight off the edge or straight at the Charger. Try going perpendicular to the rail or in such a manner that the rail is between you and the Charger.

If they're not paying attention, just ride the rails to your free splat.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

grind circus bounce house level when

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Today I'm feeling ashamed because my best weapon is the regular Splattershot instead of anything interesting

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I've become a Dualie main since 2 came out but I'm going to try the umbrella tonight.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

DoubleDonut posted:

Today I'm feeling ashamed because my best weapon is the regular Splattershot instead of anything interesting

It's a great gun, and it has the best Hero reskin in the game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Zoran posted:

It's a great gun, and it has the best Hero reskin in the game.

That's the splattershot jr reskin

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I can confirm that signing up for a splatfest, picking your side and merely logging in once, even without actually playing at all, can net you 3 snails or whatever. I felt guilty even getting that, but it did help me take some gear I already liked up to the next level. I hope I really get to play in the next one.

What level do you have to be to purchase the Umbrella? That sounds interesting.

I guess I should just login and go look at all the prices and schedules for myself. Even though I'm not very good at this game yet, I absolutely love it. I do feel low I've missed out on the lord and story from the first game. I don't get a lot of the references and only vaguely understand that this is meant to be in a dystopian universe. Should I go find some gameplay videos or maybe just little clips that further the storyline?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Just look at the sunken scrolls from the first game

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
That's not a bad idea at all.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Splatoon isn't a dystopia, it's post-human extinction due to climate change.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
just got into my first match where one player was mysteriously jittering and teleporting :(

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

just got into my first match where one player was mysteriously jittering and teleporting :(

That sir is lag.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dragon enthusiast posted:

the only thing that stops a bad guy with a charger is a good guy with a charger

Chargers don't splat squids; squids splat squids.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Chargers don't splat squids; squids splat squids.

I don't splat squids with my gun. I splat with my mantle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
im still not that great with charger and i especially don't know how the gently caress to play while i have the rainmaker but here are some better matches i had recently
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/166256783