Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

I believe legally you don't have the right to refuse a pardon, so this is basically him asking for a pardon.

you do have a right to refuse a pardon, there's even a specific supreme court case on point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdick_v._United_States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

boner confessor posted:

i mean i guess there's some sort of special exceptional property of the waters of the Atlantic which makes states that touch them more liberal north of a certain line a guess or it could be a flawed, arbitrary grouping that goons want to defend to the death for some reason because it's easier than admitting they're wrong

the exceptional property of the waters of the atlantic are that they were easily reachable from england so the east coast forms a political unit of "the thirteen original colonies"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

its a reference to a group of states that happens to mostly overlap with a geographical feature so it gets tagged by that geographic feature even though it's not ~precisely accurate~

english has lots of terms that don't match their literal meaning and uses many words and phrases to mean multiple things that can be contradictory where the reader or listener is expected to infer the meaning from context and if you're talking politics and refer to coastal states, you probably are not including the gulf coast unless the context of the conversation implies you are (say, you are discussing shipping)

yeah i get that but mostly i was lolling at the evident factual inaccuracy of that dude's post but really now it's just funny as goons try to bicker at me what east coast are (excluding more than half the states on the eastern side of the us that actually have oceanic coastline)

it's part of this thread's continual, amusing struggle with flexible definitions of american geography

evilweasel posted:

the exceptional property of the waters of the atlantic are that they were easily reachable from england so the east coast forms a political unit of "the thirteen original colonies"

for the purposes of this argument not including between 3-5 of those states, depending

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

you do have a right to refuse a pardon, there's even a specific supreme court case on point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdick_v._United_States

Yep bad memory on my part.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Meh. My response to the guy who wrote the manifesto would simply be this: "tolerance and diversity" don't mean "bend over backwards for anyone and accept their opinions and proposals regardless of how hateful, racist and sexist they are."

No one has to tolerate your intolerance. This doesn't make them intolerant. That's really it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

boner confessor posted:

it's part of this thread's continual, amusing struggle with flexible definitions of american geography

The mountain derail from a million pages ago was stupid and yeah, poor use of geographical terms

In this instance, "coastal" was being referred to in a political way not a geographical way so no misuse here.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

No Safe Word posted:

The mountain derail from a million pages ago was stupid and yeah, poor use of geographical terms

In this instance, "coastal" was being referred to in a political way not a geographical way so no misuse here.

:eng101: dude didn't specify which coasts, just because the gulf coast is often forgotten as a political division doesn't mean it isn't significant. more liberal elitism at work

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

boner confessor posted:

:eng101: dude didn't specify which coasts, just because the gulf coast is often forgotten as a political division doesn't mean it isn't significant

You literally just explained here why when someone colloquially refers to the "coastal states" they're not referring to the Gulf Coast. If you're the only one using a colloquialism a certain way, you're using it wrong. Stop posting.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Meh. My response to the guy who wrote the manifesto would simply be this: "tolerance and diversity" don't mean "bend over backwards for anyone and accept their opinions and proposals regardless of how hateful, racist and sexist they are."

No one has to tolerate your intolerance. This doesn't make them intolerant. That's really it.

And, of course, "freedom of speech" does not mean "freedom from consequences for your [the memo writer's] bigoted nonsense."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/896034132207206401

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

end the tyranny of fake mountains today

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the same people who refuse to acknowledge the texas coastline probably also doubt that tacos are sandwiches

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

the same people who refuse to acknowledge the texas coastline probably also doubt that tacos are sandwiches

Why did you do this?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eyebeem posted:

Why did you do this?

Because some people have never eaten a torta.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

In a bit of beautiful irony

The Anti-Refugee Ship Run By Far-Right YouTubers Got Into Trouble And Was Helped By A Refugee Rescue Boat

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/franciswhittaker/the-anti-refugee-ship-run-by-far-right-youtubers-got-into

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is probably true when it's the US attacking Russia or vice versa or either of those two attacking a country that isn't in hideous standing with the international community. But while nuclear war with North Korea would be horrific, I very much doubt that anyone is going to risk apocalypse to go to bat for Kim Jong Un.

That's oddly reassuring. Not that the deaths of millions of Koreans and Chinese is an acceptable thing either, but it's a lower level of threat than the destruction of world-wide society in less than an hour.

Thanks D&D for helping me walk back off the ledge a little bit. That's not often something that I think gets said.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

rkajdi posted:

Isn't the issue that any nuclear exchange could easily get all the other players to attack with nuclear weapons as well? I mean, that's what the gallows humor is about here, so I'd think at least some people see it as possible.

A radioactive Korea with fallout blowing over the Pacific isn't a direct threat to the survival of Moscow or Beijing. Launching nuclear weapons at the United States is. Russia and China aren't going to launch a nuclear attack against us to punish us, because that would result in their own destruction as well.

If North Korea launched nukes and we retaliated with nukes the command and control centers in Russia and China would obviously be glued to their monitors, but everyone involved would be working really loving hard to prove the missiles were going to hit Korea and not their own country. There's a very tiny chance that MAD *might* not apply to North Korea, but it sure as poo poo still applies to everyone else if a limited nuclear exchange happens.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Do people not from the south not call it the gulf coast or the third coast?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

rkajdi posted:

That's oddly reassuring. Not that the deaths of millions of Koreans and Chinese is an acceptable thing either, but it's a lower level of threat than the destruction of world-wide society in less than an hour.

Thanks D&D for helping me walk back off the ledge a little bit. That's not often something that I think gets said.

The biggest reason why NK has lasted this long is because China, Russia, and SK don't want to deal with an entire country of starving, uneducated, brainwashed refugees, so there isn't a big chance of them standing up for them.

It will be okay, although if you are coming here for mental help you are probably hosed already

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why is this a story. They're not saying he's been offered a pardon, just that he would (obviously) accept one

Because he keeps asking for one and is getting flustered that Trump isn't giving him one. It's funny

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

I've got my eclipse glasses though so I'll be fine if I stare into the nuclear fireball (until I'm vaporized leaving nothing but a shadow on the wall) :cool:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TBH I'm still less concerned about Trump striking first than I am about his rhetoric causing NK to make a miscalculation and strike first themselves because they're expecting an attack. I suspect Trump's threats are about as real as most of his threats to sue people or his threat to prosecute Hillary - hot air designed to make himself feel good and project something he perceives as strength, but never to be followed with actual substantive action because actual substantive action carries a risk of blowback.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

if we refer to it at all (which we rarely do unless there is a hurricane about to hit it) we call it the gulf coast, otherwise we just consider it more generally part of the deep south

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EwokEntourage posted:

Pretty much everyone calls it the Gulf Coast, which makes sense and is useful for distinguishing it from the ocean coasts, which are different in the political context. Boner Confessor is stupid and should stop posting.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

i've heard either gulf of mexico or the gulf coast here in canada jr.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

As horrible as it is would anyone in the US really care if they nuked Guam

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

TBH I'm still less concerned about Trump striking first than I am about his rhetoric causing NK to make a miscalculation and strike first themselves because they're expecting an attack. I suspect Trump's threats are about as real as most of his threats to sue people or his threat to prosecute Hillary - hot air designed to make himself feel good and project something he perceives as strength, but never to be followed with actual substantive action because actual substantive action carries a risk of blowback.

yeah this is probably the most likely way things go to hell. trump makes north korea think a preemptive attack is coming, they try to pre-empt the preemptive attack, and a massive conventional war breaks out

i have my doubts that they would use their nuclear weapons even in those circumstances though: the nuclear weapons are a trump card to prevent the war from getting out of hand and suing for peace, while using them means there is no end to the war that doesn't involve every single person in north korean leadership dead. the concern there though is their lack of second-strike capability: they may believe that they need to use them or lose them.

(second strike capability means that you have the ability to launch your nuclear weapons even if you are hit first. it makes everything more stable because it means you are less concerned about someone trying to wipe out your arsenal with a suprise attack, meaning you don't need your stuff on as much of a hair trigger. second strike capibility is usually one or more of: (a) nuclear missile submarines that are good enough to evade detection until they launch; (b) missile silos hardened to resist a direct hit and (c) portable icbms that can't be easily found before they launch)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yes?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

In a bit of beautiful irony

The Anti-Refugee Ship Run By Far-Right YouTubers Got Into Trouble And Was Helped By A Refugee Rescue Boat

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/franciswhittaker/the-anti-refugee-ship-run-by-far-right-youtubers-got-into

They should have let those fuckers starve to death on their loving boat.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

EwokEntourage posted:

for political reasons the gulf coast snakes around and takes up half the atlantic coast as well at least until southern virgina

no it doesn't make any sense, which is why it's beloved itt

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm going to ask something, and hopefully it doesn't come off as too crazy.

if the korean penisula is reduced to a smouldering crater, how will this affect development of popular video games Overwatch and PUBG?? Every time I think about the existential threat of this it constantly fills me with a kind of dread and depression that makes it impossible to really go through the day and act like anything you do even matters in the slightest

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If NK struck first even with a normal conventional weapon then the US would be justified in retaliation . In that case I don't think Russia or China would become involved. However, if we struck first with a nuclear weapon then yeah I think China and Russia would respond and we'd all die.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

While that was mostly flippant, I would say that the majority of the country didn't know it was even a part of us until they started being under threat. I do honestly wonder the response versus if they nuked, say, LA.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Uh, yes? Guam is a US territory. The US literally owns the island and the people of Guam are legally American citizens. Nuking Guam with a missile should be treated as a direct attack on US soil and US persons.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why is this a story. They're not saying he's been offered a pardon, just that he would (obviously) accept one

My best guess is that Joe reached out to the media so that word would get to Trump without Joe technically asking for one.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Support are troops

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

While that was mostly flippant, I would say that the majority of the country didn't know it was even a part of us until they started being under threat. I do honestly wonder the response versus if they nuked, say, LA.

different public reaction, but the response to someone lobbing a nuclear weapon isn't going to wait on public reaction

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

our precious strategic guamamole reserves

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

pearl harbor was a relatively obscure territory in the atlantic, not even a state, and america lost its mind when it was attacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Has North Korea even threatened to use nuclear weapons recently? The threat of a missile strike in the waters near Guam doesn't automatically mean nuclear weapons.

Thus far it is mainly the US threatening the use of nuclear weapons, right?

• Locked thread