Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Molybdenum posted:

Lightning storm?

Marcy needs to be on the stack but whatever

First thing I checked. He only has the granted abilities while on the battlefield. Otherwise you could exile a creature with cycling and then cycle Mairsil himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cheetah7071 posted:

Weird rules edge cases are cool, I'm sorry you hate fun

Weird rules edge cases are why we're alive, goddammit! This guy gets it!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If I have this card or a card like it can I pay 6 mana for +6/+0? Otherwise I can't really understand why it'd be a rare though the pamphlet did warn that's not an indicator of quality!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

EmmyOk posted:

If I have this card or a card like it can I pay 6 mana for +6/+0? Otherwise I can't really understand why it'd be a rare though the pamphlet did warn that's not an indicator of quality!

Yes, but it's more like you pay R six times.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

EmmyOk posted:

Is Blue/Black an okay mixture for a beginner?

Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Choose what you find fun and go from there. U/B is a great combo.

The only color combo I wouldn't start with is U/R, and that's just so you have something to look forward to :getin:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

It was printed in the first ever Magic set and is very outdated by today's standards.

That said a 5/5 flier that gets stronger is still very threatening in limited formats so it probably wouldn't be printed at uncommon in a normal set.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Yes, but it's more like you pay R six times.

Ah neat, thanks a lot for explaining!

Eela6 posted:

Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Choose what you find fun and go from there. U/B is a great combo.

The only color combo I wouldn't start with is U/R, and that's just so you have something to look forward to :getin:

Excellent! I'm combing through my cards now trying to think about how things will pair with other things! I assume every combination is fairly open to whatever artifacts you think would be useful?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ultima66 posted:

It was printed in the first ever Magic set and is very outdated by today's standards.

That said a 5/5 flier that gets stronger is still very threatening in limited formats so it probably wouldn't be printed at uncommon in a normal set.

Serra Angel, on the other hand...

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Weird rules edge cases are cool, I'm sorry you hate fun

I changed my mind. I just read the thread on Reddit about Mairsil exiling a vehicle to gain the ability to have other creatures crew him. EDH is awesome!

quote:

okay, but how about this:
First we cage a vehicle, and an equipment.
Then we need a Leonin Shikari, and one of either Leyline of Anticipation (on board) or Vedalken Orrery.
Then, we crew him up. From there, we attempt to equip him to the shikari at instant speed.
Then, we imprison him in the moon.
All to equip him to a cat, while he's also a train, for no obvious value.
Need I say more?

Tainen fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 11, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The original purpose of EDH, iirc, was for the bored judges who started it to be able to gently caress around with crazy rules bullshit that would never occur in normal games of Magic, so this dude is :krad:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not really hamstrung, it takes longer to get going than the ooze but it's a lot harder to stop once it starts.

E: does it work with Chandra or Jace?

Most Necrotic Ooze win conditions involve using the abilities more than once each, so I'd definitely say this is a restricted version of nooze.

There might be some other combos possible, though. I haven't sat down to look at possibilities yet.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Apparently, caging Quicksilver Elemental, then using its ability on himself gives him another copy of all the abilities, including Quicksilver Elemental's.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sold two Game day play mats for 45 bucks and a Thoughtsieze. I'm throwing down on the remaining pieces I need for Grixis shadow and praying Street Wraith doesn't eat a ban.

How do you guys like Claim // Fame in the deck?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Apparently, caging Quicksilver Elemental, then using its ability on himself gives him another copy of all the abilities, including Quicksilver Elemental's.

So can you then cage Quicksilver Elemental, Gilded Lotus, and Horseshoe Crab for infinite mana?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

DangerDongs posted:

Sold two Game day play mats for 45 bucks and a Thoughtsieze. I'm throwing down on the remaining pieces I need for Grixis shadow and praying Street Wraith doesn't eat a ban.

How do you guys like Claim // Fame in the deck?

I was pretty underwhelmed by it. It won some games no other card could but was a blank far too often. You don't actually run that many targets for it and it's useless if you're facing opponents running path or combo.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

The Shortest Path posted:

So can you then cage Quicksilver Elemental, Gilded Lotus, and Horseshoe Crab for infinite mana?

Then when you explain how the rules interaction works, you will get three other players who don't understand it, and from there you will explain it again and they will all say 'this is bullshit', pack up their cards and never play with you again.

(Usually this happens with me, Teferi and Possibility Storm)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I started playing the Elder Scrolls card game for fun yesterday and I was amazing how something brand new like that can sync my game between Steam and my phone and not even Magic Duels can pull that off. Wizards please spend money for online products.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DariusLikewise posted:

I started playing the Elder Scrolls card game for fun yesterday and I was amazing how something brand new like that can sync my game between Steam and my phone and not even Magic Duels can pull that off. Wizards please spend money for online products.

WOTC could make a good business move and relocate out of the Seattle area to somewhere that they could afford good programmers. They won't though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At least all their programmers are organic and fair-trade! :j:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I have worked within walking distance of their office for 9 years but have never gone over there. I wonder if they have anything for visitors like a gift shop.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

WOTC could make a good business move and relocate out of the Seattle area to somewhere that they could afford good programmers. They won't though.

The devs are not the problem, and the west coast is filled with them. WotC just doesn't want to pay real salaries or hire enough people. It's bad resource allocation, not laziness.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ThePeavstenator posted:

The devs are not the problem, and the west coast is filled with them. WotC just doesn't want to pay real salaries or hire enough people. It's bad resource allocation, not laziness.

it's also a matter of priorities. The perception at Wizards/Hasbro is likely that it's not worth it financially to scrap what they've got and invest millions of dollars in a new digital product that competes with their paper product and also the rash of new digital card games. And I don't think that's a misguided view for them to have, even if MTGO is a dumpster fire.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

TheChirurgeon posted:

it's also a matter of priorities. The perception at Wizards/Hasbro is likely that it's not worth it financially to scrap what they've got and invest millions of dollars in a new digital product that competes with their paper product and also the rash of new digital card games. And I don't think that's a misguided view for them to have, even if MTGO is a dumpster fire.

Yeah I don't think they need to scrap MTGO completely either. The problem is that they don't even have enough people to add cards to the client or fix major game-breaking bugs. Remember how long it took for them to add the monarch mechanics even though it immediately became a significant component of some Legacy decks? Or when Memory's Journey was bugged on triple Innistrad flashback drafts and their solution was to just remove it from packs and a bunch of streamers decided to not draft it at all because of that? Or when Myr Superion was castable with any kind of mana and their solution was to just tell people to use the honor system in the MOCS?

If MTGO was just clunky and ugly but still functional then it wouldn't be nearly the punchline that it is now.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Full commander deck lists are up
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

There are some really good cards in these! Disk and Wake and Abundance! SOO GOOD

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Phantom Nishoba! Now there's a blast from my past.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

They don't have to compete, mtgo can target the convenience side of things so much better than paper could ever dream of

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah I don't think they need to scrap MTGO completely either. The problem is that they don't even have enough people to add cards to the client or fix major game-breaking bugs. Remember how long it took for them to add the monarch mechanics even though it immediately became a significant component of some Legacy decks? Or when Memory's Journey was bugged on triple Innistrad flashback drafts and their solution was to just remove it from packs and a bunch of streamers decided to not draft it at all because of that? Or when Myr Superion was castable with any kind of mana and their solution was to just tell people to use the honor system in the MOCS?

If MTGO was just clunky and ugly but still functional then it wouldn't be nearly the punchline that it is now.

I don't remember any of that because I haven't logged into MtGO since Gatecrash

TheKingofSprings posted:

They don't have to compete, mtgo can target the convenience side of things so much better than paper could ever dream of

I like MtGO for being able to draft at any time, but that's about it. My point isn't that it's not terrible or couldn't be fixed, but that it's financially just not worth it. Think about how they make money--it's only worth it to improve the platform if they can show that doing so will bring in X additional revenue--primarily from new players or lapsed players returning--over Y time. And small fixes aren't likely to do enough of either to justify hiring 3-4 additional competent West Coast devs to put band-aids on what is probably a rat's nest of poo poo code.

e: Honestly the assumption that a good dev could fix problems that are probably buried under 12 years of code is a pretty big one. MtGO needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 11, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It would be a lot more convenient if it was less of a dumpster fire, though.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

What, no Zirilan of the Claw? Stupid reserved list.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mirari's Wake, Leonin Shikari, Lightning Greaves, Captivating Vampire, Door of Destinies, Scion, Fist of Suns, Havengul Lich, Vela, Nin, Decree of Pain, Memory Plunder, Chaos Warp are all fairly decent reprints.

Mirari's Wake and Vela are the only ones in the set above 5 bucks though, which is kinda to be expected.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like MtGO for being able to draft at any time, but that's about it. My point isn't that it's not terrible or couldn't be fixed, but that it's financially just not worth it. Think about how they make money--it's only worth it to improve the platform if they can show that doing so will bring in X additional revenue--primarily from new players or lapsed players returning--over Y time. And small fixes aren't likely to do enough of either to justify hiring 3-4 additional competent West Coast devs to put band-aids on what is probably a rat's nest of poo poo code.

e: Honestly the assumption that a good dev could fix problems that are probably buried under 12 years of code is a pretty big one. MtGO needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Considering the game has been out almost 25 years and E-Sports, especially competitive digital card games have seen huge growth, it almost certainly has been financially sound to invest into the platform. I have no idea why they haven't, and their lack of details on Magic Digital Next or whatever are par for the course, their choices are inscrutable to the outside, almost as if they have no coherent plan for the future.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Marketing New Brain posted:

Considering the game has been out almost 25 years and E-Sports, especially competitive digital card games have seen huge growth, it almost certainly has been financially sound to invest into the platform. I have no idea why they haven't, and their lack of details on Magic Digital Next or whatever are par for the course, their choices are inscrutable to the outside, almost as if they have no coherent plan for the future.

That cuts both ways--the growth also means stiffer competition from other games that have established digital brands. Just because there's lots of money being made in the space now by a small number of successful companies doesn't mean it's a good time to invest a shitload jumping in after them. That's the same mistake that companies have made over and over for a long time.

Wizards probably doesn't have a coherent digital plan for the future, but I think their time to invest heavily in digital and produce a real contender product came and went as Hearthstone got big. Now they're almost better off limping along with an MVP that supplements the paper product.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

No Voidmages? Booooooooo

I'm definitely getting the Wizard deck. The toss up is whether to go for Dragon or Vampire.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Now they're almost better off limping along with an MVP that supplements the paper product.
They could still afford to get a third monkey on the MODO typewriters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So instead of reprinting Brimaz, the cattiest cat since Kemba to cat, they reprint Mirari's wake. Which is a better card and more money, but not especially cat.

I'll take it, WoTC.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

That cuts both ways--the growth also means stiffer competition from other games that have established digital brands. Just because there's lots of money being made in the space now by a small number of successful companies doesn't mean it's a good time to invest a shitload jumping in after them. That's the same mistake that companies have made over and over for a long time.

Wizards probably doesn't have a coherent digital plan for the future, but I think their time to invest heavily in digital and produce a real contender product came and went as Hearthstone got big. Now they're almost better off limping along with an MVP that supplements the paper product.

That doesn't follow, the huge success of Hearthstone means they occupy a small percentage of the market for digital card games, so they have a ton of room to grow even if digital card games themselves are relatively stagnant, which I doubt. The same growth just simply isn't possible with their paper product, due to the myriad of logistical issues that come with playing a game with paper cards.

They also aren't investing jumping in after Hearthstone, they existed in the marketplace about a decade ahead of them, it would be an investment in an already successful, revenue generating product. Now their choice to create a Magic MMO, on the other hand . . .

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

TheChirurgeon posted:

They contracted Magic Duels out to a company in the UK, what's stopping them from hiring some start-up in Vancouver with 60k a year Devs to rebuild MTGO?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

So instead of reprinting Brimaz, the cattiest cat since Kemba to cat, they reprint Mirari's wake. Which is a better card and more money, but not especially cat.

I'll take it, WoTC.

Wasn't that a key card in the Firecat Blitz deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DariusLikewise posted:

They contracted Magic Duels out to a company in the UK, what's stopping them from hiring some start-up in Vancouver with 60k a year Devs to rebuild MTGO?

They actually offer like half of that and actually believe "you get to work on Magic!" is that big of a perk.