Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Nova vs Cho'Gall HGC dream match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

McTimmy posted:

The Nova vs Cho'Gall HGC dream match.

Dunno if it's an entertaining match (going to watch it now) but here is a direct link to it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/166077844?t=04h45m25s

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Eyy the single lane Payload map is back for the Brawl, this one is a lot of fun and super short.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

7 more losses later, I think I'm done with this game for awhile. I changed up heroes every match to try and find some good strategy for dealing with Garrosh otehr than just feebly poking at him while no one else focuses him down or he throws our healer into a sharktank,

Play a character with % health damage or giant killer. Malth is especially effective because even if he's wreckingballed he can teleport right back to him. Garrosh hits like a wet noodle and has very low health for a tank. If you bypass his armor and stay out of his pull window, there isn't much to him.

Fuzz posted:

meanwhile in the pub games we did we literally had Novas wandering the map for a full minute doing nothing and not even poking as their Azmo solo pushed two whole lanes on spiders while the rest of us were actually doing quite well, then we lose.

What the hell do you expect solo Nova to do against Azmo? She needed one of you to rotate up to help her pick him. The guy has a massive health pool and a full combo from Nova would have done like 1/3 damage to him. Nova was playing it right by trying to soak the lanes.

Fuzz posted:

The final nail in the coffin was a game where I finally got to play Cho for once and it's a 5 man goon game! Of course let's do a stupid comp with Abathur and oh look, it's loving Braxis, the single worst map to be down 2 whole bodies and hey they have both Garrosh and a Butcher. Great.

Don't 👏 play 👏 map 👏 dependent 👏 gimmick 👏 comps 👏 in 👏 QM.

5 man QM is for pick a balanced comp and stomp because hopefully the other team didn't.

5 man unranked is for draft a gimmick comp, because you'll know the map and which characters to avoid.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Aww drat this week went too fast. I got 2/3 of the last brawl and said I'd get it later

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Spudd posted:

Eyy the single lane Payload map is back for the Brawl, this one is a lot of fun and super short.

This one is awful and impossible to win as the attacker. Defending team can just AFK on spawn and still not lose.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 11, 2017

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
New Butcher is butch as hell if you have the slightest gamesense

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Garrosh has the second lowest winrate in HL the game (after Medivh). No wonder I felt like I was alphaing him so hard as Johanna.

Butcher now has the highest at 55%, which is almost guaranteed nerf range (he's also at 59% in QM)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 11, 2017

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

bamhand posted:

This one is awful and impossible to win as the attacker. Defending team can just AFK on spawn and still not lose.

I mean you're wrong and also the game only goes 10 minutes tops.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just unlocked Sylvanas from a box and she seems pretty cool

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
For a good time: stand close to one tower while auto-attacking the further away one and mash Q to lock both down.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

And remember, you're not a solo merc taker. You are 100% safe but also sloooooow without someone helping.

Same thing with split pushing. If you don't have a merc or teammate with you, you're not doing much.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BrianBoitano posted:

And remember, you're not a solo merc taker. You are 100% safe but also sloooooow without someone helping.

Same thing with split pushing. If you don't have a merc or teammate with you, you're not doing much.

Eh, depends on the map. On Blackheart's you can pretty easily solo split push both top lanes by level 7ish... Mainly once you get that "arrows damage minions 3x" talent. Sylv has the fastest lane clear in the game other than Medivh at 20 with that one talent.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Speaking of lane-clearing, I started speccing into Greymane's gilean cocktail and once you finish the quest for that you can nuke waves of minions with one throw :eek:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PantsBandit posted:

Speaking of lane-clearing, I started speccing into Greymane's gilean cocktail and once you finish the quest for that you can nuke waves of minions with one throw :eek:

I always go the cocktail build. His werewolf stuff is pretty strong on his own so mixing that in with his cocktail is so so good. Especially in teamfights when it can spread to other players. It's also awesome when pushing a gate and hitting the gate and having it splash to the dummy on the other side who thought he was safe

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Greymane is one of those characters that is probably balanced fine and is in the meta but is in dire need of a talent rework. His best build is the same in nearly every situation and a lot of his talents are extremely bad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I always go the cocktail build. His werewolf stuff is pretty strong on his own so mixing that in with his cocktail is so so good. Especially in teamfights when it can spread to other players. It's also awesome when pushing a gate and hitting the gate and having it splash to the dummy on the other side who thought he was safe

Yeah he was one of the first characters I played with any regularity and at the time I sort of ignored the cocktail because it's not a super impressive looking move (and is pretty weak when you first start). It becomes an absolute beast though if you build around it. When teamfights start and the whole team is clumped up, chucking cocktail after cocktail in does an absurd amount of damage, and it has a really short c/d after the quest as well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Midnightghoul posted:

Greymane is one of those characters that is probably balanced fine and is in the meta but is in dire need of a talent rework. His best build is the same in nearly every situation and a lot of his talents are extremely bad.
GftT has a close pickrate and higher win rate than cursed bullet.

First few talent tiers yeah I guess.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

Has the skull indicator showing when Go for the Throat will get a kill always been there or is that recent? I know Malth has a similar indicator but I don't remember seeing it before he released.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm just glad their recent philosophy around reworks has been "make the fun/QoL aspects baseline instead of just removing them because they're too powerful" and rebalancing around that.

Much better than a year ago when they just tried to make the 100% pickrate talents into garbage.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

No Wave posted:

Yeah his heroics are actually pretty well balanced right now, its the other talents that are kind of needing a revamp.

Then again, we do still have a character that still has First Aid (and they announced was not getting reworked anytime soon)

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Yeeeaaah, Butcher definitely needs a nerf now. He's untouchable in QM, where most matches start with a "nice to meet you" team fight that gets you halfway through your quest a minute into the game. Take hero meat dropped down to 20 maybe?

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a furnace blast.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 11, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

PantsBandit posted:

Has the skull indicator showing when Go for the Throat will get a kill always been there or is that recent? I know Malth has a similar indicator but I don't remember seeing it before he released.

An indicator has always been there, though they changed it when Malthael was released. Before it was more in flavor with Greymane, using the Gilnean crest I think, but they standardized when Malthael came out, which is a good thing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fuzz posted:

Eh, depends on the map. On Blackheart's you can pretty easily solo split push both top lanes by level 7ish... Mainly once you get that "arrows damage minions 3x" talent. Sylv has the fastest lane clear in the game other than Medivh at 20 with that one talent.

yeah, i figured i could clear lanes pretty quickly with free arrow on kill and 3x minion damage arrows

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Macaluso posted:

I was playing Hero League and someone picked Chromie before I could, so I took Greymane and popped her with a cocktail splash bounced off of a wall while she was trying to hearth in the fog of war. It was a hilarious reversal of roles. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fuzz posted:

Sylv has the fastest lane clear in the game other than Medivh at 20 with that one talent.

Xul
Azmodan
Kael'thas
Gul'dan
Chromie

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Captain Foo posted:

yeah, i figured i could clear lanes pretty quickly with free arrow on kill and 3x minion damage arrows

Those don't interact like that.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Captain Foo posted:

If you want to wave clear really fast, unstable poison is probably better in that regard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yukari posted:

If you want to wave clear really fast, unstable poison is probably better in that regard.

Yeah, but it's crap for burning down mercs/Immortals/terrors/etc., which is why 3x damage + refill on wave is almost always right.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

leoric with royal focus oneshots waves if your level > theirs and he can travel between lanes extremely fast

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Sylvanas is probably my favorite damage dealer in the game. She handles a lot of the problems that thrown together teams generally suffer from. She can single-handedly rotate and wave clear a map, posting huge XP gains. She has very strong mobility and can position and escape fights at will with or without any support from other teammates. She does great single target and AOE damage. She has one of the best ultimates in the game for winning team fights. Always a great pick in my opinion.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yeeeaaah, Butcher definitely needs a nerf now. He's untouchable in QM, where most matches start with a "nice to meet you" team fight that gets you halfway through your quest a minute into the game. Take hero meat dropped down to 20 maybe?

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a furnace blast.

From what I've seen it looks like the Butcher has just been amplified. In favorable conditions he's even more of a monster. So a player who knows what they're doing and doesn't initiate with charge is gonna get up and rolling far more quickly, and if QM didn't give the other sides enough CC he is never stopping. A butcher that struggles to farm stacks because their team can't seal any deals is gonna have an even rougher time. At first I'd only seen competent butchers and/or really bad teams that would give up 2-3 early kills because you HAVE to commit to that early teamfight over the vision tower or mid. Now I've seen more bad Butchers completely fail to launch, so I wouldn't be surprised if his winrate goes down a little as people adjust. He'll probably still stay well over 50% without nerfs though.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 11, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Seriously what's with the mid teamfights at level 1. They are completely pointless and I see both teams with a lane empty two minutes in for no reason in half my games.

The total newbie players who go straight to their 2 2 1 like it's w3 dota do it smarter than this.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

No Wave posted:

Seriously what's with the mid teamfights at level 1. They are completely pointless and I see both teams with a lane empty two minutes in for no reason in half my games.

The total newbie players who go straight to their 2 2 1 like it's w3 dota do it smarter than this.

You gotta establish dominance

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

No Wave posted:

Speaking of which, is there a guide that explains the meta for lane arrangements for each of the different maps and why? Like for instance why Braxis is 1-4.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

No Wave posted:

Good reasons to try for an early teamfight: Because it feels good and can get you some decent momentum IF you can get a kill or two or force an early fountain that won't be up when they need it/will force a 'b' during objective AND still get into the proper lanes before the waves arrive.

Bad reasons: Because no one wants to be the one bullied in a lane and lol if you think some dumb pub will rotate to a 'losing lane' when they can just bitch and blame you. Easiest way to avoid being in that losing lane is to make sure you're in your team's stacked lane with 3-4 dudes and 0-2 of theirs, while the enemy team starts to get their xp and structure advantage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MisterZimbu posted:

Speaking of which, is there a guide that explains the meta for lane arrangements for each of the different maps and why? Like for instance why Braxis is 1-4.

Because Braxis is a poo poo map.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

Good reasons to try for an early teamfight: Because it feels good and can get you some decent momentum IF you can get a kill or two or force an early fountain that won't be up when they need it/will force a 'b' during objective AND still get into the proper lanes before the waves arrive.

Bad reasons: Because no one wants to be the one bullied in a lane and lol if you think some dumb pub will rotate to a 'losing lane' when they can just bitch and blame you. Easiest way to avoid being in that losing lane is to make sure you're in your team's stacked lane with 3-4 dudes and 0-2 of theirs, while the enemy team starts to get their xp and structure advantage.
Getting a kill level 1 in mid does basically nothing. You're not denying soak and you get negligible xp (like one minion's worth of xp).

Unless this is like... psychological or quest-related momentum you're talking about. But yes you can do whatever as long as you soak all waves ofc.

I still go mid at the start because there's no reason not to and I might prevent an idiot teammate from dying, but I'm out fast.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 11, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

MisterZimbu posted:

All 2 lane maps are 1-4. 4v3 in one lane and 1v2 in another lane usually ends up having the 4v3 doing more damage than the 2v1, so it's generally better to go 1-4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Remember that while Sylvanas can be a good split pusher, she is even more effective as a push enhancer, locking down the lane you're trying to push and letting the rest of your team go for the fort without having to worry about taking tower shots.