Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Deified Data posted:

Incidentally, last night I beat Skaeling's lord in a battle, for the tutorial pop-up that said he's ripe for confederation now, but when I checked I still couldn't sue for peace. I had to have another go and entirely wipe out his army before he'd let me end the war between us and then confederate, so maybe that's what the guy encountered.

Might be a stupid question, but did you end turn before checking if the peace option was green?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Are you guys raiding south or consolidating the north as Norsca? I tried the former and currently all my settlements are wiped while I was away.

Well from my limited experience with the patch it seems that raiding south is really easy to do if you content yourself with a few geographically close and easily defended coastal settlements. I also use the other norse and their settlements to farm favor with the gods whenever the opportunity crops up.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i just took the ports, torched the rest of the north for favor

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Panfilo posted:

I like how well rounded they ended up making the Norscans. Their lineup seems similar to Vampire Counts in functionality except you actually have some ranged options mixed in there. Some things I'm curious about :

-How is the Ice Wolf Chariot? It seems interesting.

-What's better, armored Skinwolves or Fmir? At a glance they both seem rather similar to each other.

Ice Wolf Chariot is okay, functions as a chariot (meaning it absolutely murders dwarves) but lacks armor-piercing which makes it a little anemic.

Armored Skinwolves and Fimir serve completely different roles. Armored Skinwolves are basically your anti-cavalry and can eat most other cavalry alive and run them down. They're incredibly fast and have regen.

Fimir hold the line and have a debuff that weakens heavily armored enemy infantry they engage in melee. They don't really kill on their own, but they're incredibly heavily armored and tough.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Junkenstein posted:

Might be a stupid question, but did you end turn before checking if the peace option was green?

I don't think so, I think I attacked and won, he retreated, then I pursued and wiped his army for peace to become possible all in one turn.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I like how well rounded they ended up making the Norscans. Their lineup seems similar to Vampire Counts in functionality except you actually have some ranged options mixed in there. Some things I'm curious about :

-How is the Ice Wolf Chariot? It seems interesting.

-What's better, armored Skinwolves or Fmir? At a glance they both seem rather similar to each other.

Armored skinwolves are fast, Fimir are armor piercing. Which is better depends a lot on what you are facing, but it's hard to go wrong with armored skinwolves.

If there were like a crapload of dwarves up north and Chaos were a mid-game threat then Fimir would see more use. They are very good though, almost like Treekin who can crush armored units.

I've only ever used the Ice Wolf Chariot that Wulfrik starts with but it's usually MVP for the first forty turns or so. The melee damage isn't particularly high for a chariot but it has the freezing effect so nothing can get away. Also, set it to melee only at the start of every battle, that way it'll always close to melee but still chuck axes everywhere.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Incidentally, last night I beat Skaeling's lord in a battle, for the tutorial pop-up that said he's ripe for confederation now, but when I checked I still couldn't sue for peace. I had to have another go and entirely wipe out his army before he'd let me end the war between us and then confederate, so maybe that's what the guy encountered.

I had that happen as throgg. I beat lamont dahl turn 2 then the peace treaty was red until I added a confed demand then it went to green.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
^^ what this guy says ^^

Deified Data posted:

I don't think so, I think I attacked and won, he retreated, then I pursued and wiped his army for peace to become possible all in one turn.

Something I noticed happening once: the basic peace treaty option was yellow, like 'eh, maybe', but when I added confederating it went green and they really dug it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Deified Data posted:

Are you guys raiding south or consolidating the north as Norsca? I tried the former and currently all my settlements are wiped while I was away.

I had mixed luck with immediately making a second stack and going around sacking various small towns with it while the main boss confederates the place. Weirdly all these Empire minors vomit out a 20 stack to meet you turn five, so you can't really stick around. Brettonia also all has walls, so you can't really mess with that either. I have yet to actually have a general who is taken out in battle actually live, so this is probably a complete suicide stack.

I also usually go for Marienburg's city and then wander in eastwards and down to the empire, but a beastman stack already burned Altdorf's towns to the ground half the time. You might get better luck going ham towards Kislev. On the flipside, your LL will just get wounded and all you need to do in the north is win what, four army fights to take the lot? Might be smarter to go ham with Wulfric instead.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Ravenfood posted:

So what does Crow actually do when maxed out?

The Plague appears, as far as I could tell, to start at the major race capitals (I had only uncovered Altdorf and Couronne, as I was mainly occupied with burning down Kislev and the more northern Empire provinces in the name of the Plaguefather). It is denoted by both a green fog over afflicted cities, and a green poison drop icon to the side of the city's name, where the diplomatic attitude is.

The region(? Maybe whole province) where Plague is present suffers attrition, and additionally the province gets 100 Chaos Corruption pressure for each plagued city in it. The pressure stacks for sure, I was looking at Reikland getting +200 Chaos Corruption with no Beastmen around. Periodically, the plague spreads to other nearby settlements, I think it requires them to be adjacent but I'm not sure. It also seems to disappear on a settlement after a while - I saw Altdorf go Plague-free for about 3 turns until it got reinfected.

You get an event message once your Plague starts, and another one several turns in telling you it's spreading. I don't know if the second message means anything, I had already noticed the Plague spreading before that message popped up.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
If you have problems finding the leader of the faction just open up the diplomacy tab for that faction, his name is on the right.

Also, does frost wyrm suck? I can make most things work but the frost wyrm doesn't do a lot of damage, it dies so fast, doesn't really make terror work before it dies. Or am I using it wrong? I am on Very Hard if that helps. Right now I don't see a reason why I should pick up a Frost Wyrm when Mammoths is the bigger better monster.

So many bugs in this patch too, I had a monster hunt quest on the far east close to the entrance from where the Warriors of Chaos come from. I beat the lord and confederated the faction, and my quest was removed. And the quest was raid the region. And since it removed that quest it softlocked the monster hunt because I couldn't select a new one and I couldn't progress the one I chose. Luckily I noticed this and loaded the autosave from the turn before, or I would have been softlocked rest of the game with monster hunts. One tech was also greyed out and the only way to research it was to select another tech and that greyed out tech, which made me research both at the same time. Lots of these tiny bugs in the campaign so far.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jum-Jum posted:

If you have problems finding the leader of the faction just open up the diplomacy tab for that faction, his name is on the right.

Also, does frost wyrm suck? I can make most things work but the frost wyrm doesn't do a lot of damage, it dies so fast, doesn't really make terror work before it dies. Or am I using it wrong? I am on Very Hard if that helps. Right now I don't see a reason why I should pick up a Frost Wyrm when Mammoths is the bigger better monster.

So many bugs in this patch too, I had a monster hunt quest on the far east close to the entrance from where the Warriors of Chaos come from. I beat the lord and confederated the faction, and my quest was removed. And the quest was raid the region. And since it removed that quest it softlocked the monster hunt because I couldn't select a new one and I couldn't progress the one I chose. Luckily I noticed this and loaded the autosave from the turn before, or I would have been softlocked rest of the game with monster hunts. One tech was also greyed out and the only way to research it was to select another tech and that greyed out tech, which made me research both at the same time. Lots of these tiny bugs in the campaign so far.

The Frost Wyrm seems kind of like a giant flying version of chaos/beastmen warhounds. They really aren't meant to be a straight up fighter monster like the elf/undead dragons, hit em in the flank and use it to chomp down on things that are fleeing or trying to outflank. Frostbite plus it's aura makes it seem like it's going to completely crush pretty much any mounted ranged unit and keep them from continually running away.

Whether or not it's cost effective to use the Wyrm in such a way is yet to be seen. Anti-large ranged units seem to tear it to shreds and it seems to have trouble taking off when he's swarmed. He probably won't work well in the middle of a big melee and you'll need to work him in on a weak flank to set up the enemy being overrun.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

Sometimes the peace deal is orange or red, but the confederation option is grean. You can ask for both in one deal, forcing them to confed.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

My game is running otherwise fine, but I get appaling slowdown in the diplo screen. Anyone know whats up with that?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Portholes maybe? I've heard those are surprisingly intensive.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Stealth change for Empire: the Smithy chain of buildings used to be tier 3/4, and is now tier 2/3 instead so you can put it in a minor settlement. Means you can put even more good stuff in Altdorf.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello friends and all, ive updated all my overhaul mods after thinking about what i needed to do!

Since my spiel about Chaos yesterday and their still wonky replenishment i decided to make the following changes to Chaos Rising:

Chaos encampment is now at 20% replenishment, which is the same as Norsca's encampment who gets access to territory replenishment as well so i feel thats fair. They also get 15% replenishment for one turn if they choose the Raze option after winning a city/town battle. This is more than vanilla's 10% but it is actually a big nerf from the mods previous version of 40%.

Any changes to upkeep i had are gone since CA made a much bigger change on that front, growth bonuses are still raised to Beastmen levels on the skill side aka +9 at max.

As for the Empire and Sons of Sigmar:
I removed Gelt's mini melee-tree since CA added their own little skill-tree. Since CA ignored offices entirely those buffs are still in. Same with easier access to your agents, and some tweaked combat skill buffs to them still being there. Not much else other than i finally managed to make the game show that Honest Steel will also affect Greatswords.

Khazukan Kazakit-Ha!'s Dawis are back and wrecking grudged fools!

I removed the bug fix for Ungrim which gave him deathblow, since CA did that AND more. I also removed his lord effect that gives slayers +20% replenishment since once again CA added another of those, though his army only which is still fair enough given that he also got a speed increase lord effect. Slayers are still recruitable from a Rank 3 Barracks and still require an armory as well. I also removed one lord effect from Thorgrim, he wont be giving Master Engineers +2 ranks anymore but he DOES still give gyrocopters +100% Ammo so they can shoot fools from the sky. He also has access to Modernist still.

Finally Da Boyz are still at it! Green Iz Best sees the removal of the level 18 army wide buffs i made for Azhag and Grimgor. Everything else is still in with raised values on the army buff skills so they compete with DLC/FLC Greenskins, better access to the tech tree, the tech tree being stronger, better Waaghs etc. Azhag still starts with Death Magic, and his unique skill Get on Wiv It is still stronger than vanilla. His wyvern unlocks at level 14 now since thats the new standard and all. Grimgor retains his fun vigour immunity skill, gained at 14.

And thats it! Im working on updating all my mods, but this has taken all day more or less due to a weird bug which wiped about 3 hours of progress.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Frost wyrms aren't great at killing but they have something like a -90% total speed debuff, so they're fantastic for keeping enemies in place while skinwolves or something take them down

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So my good goons, norsca + update is a solid legit on fire hit and I can preorder the 2nd game to enjoy hot viking action this weekend?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

dead comedy forums posted:

So my good goons, norsca + update is a solid legit on fire hit and I can preorder the 2nd game to enjoy hot viking action this weekend?

Yeah, it's rad. Even if you don't get Norsca, the update is fantastic.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

With only a little early game testing I am liking the changes to Warriors of Chaos a lot. Norsca seems fun too, though I'm still unsure if I should be confederating, subjugating, or razing other norse cities.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Something else I don't think has been raised: the 'On Guard' modifier characters get after successfully resisting an agent action now lasts for 5 turns instead of 1 so agent spam/repeated attempts turn after turn are heavily discouraged.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

dead comedy forums posted:

Probably the 2nd coolest DLC faction after Beastmen.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

Something else I don't think has been raised: the 'On Guard' modifier characters get after successfully resisting an agent action now lasts for 5 turns instead of 1 so agent spam/repeated attempts turn after turn are heavily discouraged.

GOTY

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

John Charity Spring posted:

Hmm, that might actually hurt factions like dwarves without assassin agents.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Quick note. If you beat an enemy Leader as Norsca or Chaos. And for some reason it says they will not accept peace, Offer the Peace Treaty like normal anyway, but also add the condition that they will accept confederation/Vassalage. They will accept everything that way. You can also squeeze some gold out of them as well in that step.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Should i confederate all of the north as norsca or leave some as vassals?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ughhhh posted:

Should i confederate all of the north as norsca or leave some as vassals?

I would personally leave a few as vassels, just so I don't have to micro manage everything.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I would prefer to have vassals. The main downside of vassals is your allies declaring war on them and breaking vassalage, whereas as Norsca you have probably no allies. Vassals are otherwise better than confederation if you are big enough because of background income/stack upkeep scaling, and also they'll defend themselves and so lighten the amount of management you need to do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Now that I figured it out it is so easy to confederate Norscans. Sometimes you can get lucky and wait for the Norscan subfaction to get a pyrrhic victory, then stab them in the back and off their Lord and seize their entire territory regardless of how much of a treacherous bastard you were.

It is a cool mechanic and I figured Skaven would get some variation of it.

Also, I noted that Norscans get a unique tradeable resource- Obsidian. Makes sense since there's always the option of setting up trade agreements with allies, which up until recently I found puzzling. The Obsidian mines also reduce building costs which is helpful. Other than that, Norscan settlements are a little weird; they make hardly any money and I assume can't get walled settlements/capitals. Nor do they get province bonuses (bummer!). Overall they feel like a weird hybrid of Greenskin and Wood Elf settlements.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Man this update rules. Norsca, also, rules. But the closer game 2 gets, the more distracting the lack of rats becomes. Like, Norsca's great, and killing everyone with crazy chaos mammoths is really good, but, they're not rats, and that's a very big problem, which can only be solved by there being rats.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

terrorist ambulance posted:

Man gently caress Surtha Ek, and gently caress the way that chariots are REALLY GOOD when the AI uses them and garbo units that get bogged down and don't do poo poo for anyone who actually has to micro them

In my Norsca game, I saw Surtha Ek wandering alone. No army, half health. He had clearly just fought Wintertooth and barely escaped. So I pounced with my nearby army, kicked his rear end and forced them to confederate.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Hoping that Skaven mechanics are basically House Harkkonen in rat form. "THE WARPSTONE MUST FLOW"

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Due to Norsca's unique confederation mechanics I found it really really easy to just wrap up the north quickly. I did do an early little detour down south to sack a town or two and keep my upgrades rolling in. Since you will be expanding so quickly, expect to lose towns on the outskirts to random enemy stacks, so hold off upgrading everything until you really start to consolidate things. You can actually get a pretty powerful economy going once you've got the north locked down. If you have a lot of Loot Piles and Fur Stashes the bonuses really start to stack up and you will get insane returns from raiding and sacking while maintaining a fairly decent passive income as well. Ruinous Altar's are also amazing and should be the first thing you build in every provincial capitol. Huge public order bonuses, chaos corruption (and all the resultant bonuses), and tons of slots to recruit shamans. I actually had a shaman deployed in every single province, saving me thousands upon thousands of gold in construction costs as I upgraded everything.

I have now gotten to the point where sacking a large city nets 30k+ gold (including the battle victory money) and I have a passive income of over 15k. Now that I've beaten Chaos and gotten the 75% upkeep reduction I can afford 12 full stacks of elite troops with just my passive income. The game is way beyond over at this point and it's a totally ludicrous win-more situation (I have 750k and nothing to spend it on) but it does show how strong the Norscan economy can get.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 11, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Along those lines, I'm curious about the research you unlock by capturing enemy capitals. Some of the bonuses are really good, but by the time you both get down to those locations and capture them you're probably powerful enough anyway and that bonus probably isn't necessary.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Am I wrong for thinking the Nurgle Alignment bonus plague thing is a waste of time? I was expecting it to be throwing out growth/income/order debuffs all over, but instead all I got was some corruption bonuses on random settlements every couple of turns. Every other gods' bonuses are much more interesting.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I played about 5 mins non modded then decided to come back to this game later after the mods caught up.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I think the norsca defeat confederation thing works with Chaos, too.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

SteelMentor posted:

Am I wrong for thinking the Nurgle Alignment bonus plague thing is a waste of time? I was expecting it to be throwing out growth/income/order debuffs all over, but instead all I got was some corruption bonuses on random settlements every couple of turns. Every other gods' bonuses are much more interesting.

It causes insane corruption globally so it makes it very easy to capture settlements, since the +100 corruption bonus will give you near to no public order penalty once you cap it. It's so high that it also causes everyone to take attrition + frequent rebellions, even on hard/v hard+

Just sort of a nice all around thing to have. The +20% replenishment is nothing to sneeze at either and your lords/heroes are immune to being assassinated outside of a critical success which is super nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

kholek is so fuckin rad

• Locked thread