Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

The PS4 and X-Box versions were developed concurrently weren't they? I believe only the Switch version is a port.

pretty sure he was talking about taxman's sonic 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Separate panic source:

Fiancee isn't sure if she bought me the Switch or the PS4 collectors edition. Feels confident it's the PS4 version, but we won't know until it arrives on my doorstep.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

sharrrk posted:

pretty sure he was talking about taxman's sonic 1

I was talking about the engine Mania's being made in really

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/896047869773217797

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kurieg posted:

If they're having issues porting Mania to Pc I doubt they could just magically throw together a port of Taxman 1 to PC in the meantime.

I mean, I'd have been happy getting the announcement that Taxman S1&2 are coming to PC, and Mania PC pre-orders are getting a free one of those, even if it's not right away.

I want those versions on PC more then I want a free copy of Sonic.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
No but like seriously why Sonic 1 lol

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What we're saying is that isn't really feasible at all. Sonic 1 and 2's remakes may have been developed on PC hardware, but they're optimized for mobile. They can't get new versions of them ready and out the door in two weeks, especially while the team is busy finishing another game.

"Port buttons" aren't a thing that exist.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Should have given out CD for free instead

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Evil Eagle posted:

Should have given out CD for free instead

T-mobiles giving everybody free CD next week anyway.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bet they checked to see which classic Sonic game Steam owners had the least of and it ended up being Sonic 1.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
my condolences to the pc crew

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzxr-MjadDQ

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

What we're saying is that isn't really feasible at all. Sonic 1 and 2's remakes may have been developed on PC hardware, but they're optimized for mobile. They can't get new versions of them ready and out the door in two weeks, especially while the team is busy finishing another game.

"Port buttons" aren't a thing that exist.

Not sure if you're responding to me, but I'm saying news that they plan to put those version out on PC in the future would have made me happier then a free copy of sonic 1. Like, I just want them to address that people want those versions on a non-mobile platform. But maybe that would have been inappropriate when they were announcing a delay.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It would be kinda funny and recursive if someone got hired on to Sega to do Sonic Mania 2 by showing them a proof of the Taxman Sonic 1 and 2 running on PC.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Only thing I wanna know from the leaks is if the level design/enemy placement is on point. Watching stuff like Before the Sequel and there's so many off screen untelegraphed attacks that it has me kinda antsy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/896047063024025602

What did he mean by this....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume it's a reference to this:
https://www.wired.com/story/malware-dna-hack/

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Not sure if you're responding to me, but I'm saying news that they plan to put those version out on PC in the future would have made me happier then a free copy of sonic 1. Like, I just want them to address that people want those versions on a non-mobile platform. But maybe that would have been inappropriate when they were announcing a delay.

Considering that they've been working on Mania, even if that were happening, I doubt it'd be anywhere near a state worth announcing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think it means they're delaying the game to put drm in because of the switch leak.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Goddamnit my plan was to double dip and buy the pc version on launch while I wait for Amazon to ship my collector's edition on ps4

Now the only way to play the game on release would be to buy another ps4 version of the game

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't understand what canceling a pre-order is supposed to accomplish.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

i had the entire day booked off to play sonic mania, this is some horseshit

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
This whole thing is weird. A delay at the last minute to fix problems is weird because they would have had to know this before, and does this mean the console versions have the problem too but they can't delay those because the CE are already at stores.

Delaying to add in DRM is also weird because you'd think they would know they had to have it in there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably because they want the console versions out before everyone pirates the PC one

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overbite posted:

This whole thing is weird. A delay at the last minute to fix problems is weird because they would have had to know this before, and does this mean the console versions have the problem too but they can't delay those because the CE are already at stores.

Delaying to add in DRM is also weird because you'd think they would know they had to have it in there.

No. With consoles you have a far smaller base to work with. PCs have a much higher number of potential failure areas. This has always been the case. PS4s/Xbones/Switches are standard or mostly standard (PS4 vs Pro) while a problem with PC can be more complex to fix. It's why things like Arkham Knight had problems on PC way way longer than console where they could optimize it more easily.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it helps to remember sega is retarded as gently caress

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sounds like I'm pre-ordering this one on PS4 then :sax:

edit: Never mind, you only get a monetary discount for doing it on Steam. Guess I'm not pre-ordering it then, see you all when it comes out on PS4!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 11, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

it helps to remember sega is retarded as gently caress

Unneccessery slurs aside, this team was being sung as "better than the rest of Sega" not 24 hours ago.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm not saying taxman made this decision

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's kinda weird that it's the PC version being delayed because the retro engine was basically developed for PC, but it's probably because it hates certain graphics cards or something which is common honestly

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Making sure the game actually works on varying quality PC setups is usually one of the last steps of the development process, so if for some weird reason it's completely broken on some hardware then they'd pretty much have no choice but to delay it. They didn't expand on why the delay happened (or they haven't yet at least) so the reason will probably remain a mystery.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's kinda weird that it's the PC version being delayed because the retro engine was basically developed for PC, but it's probably because it hates certain graphics cards or something which is common honestly

Yeah. Developing for PC is a nightmare.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im sad now

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How did the Switch version leak? Any performance issues?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Some shop broke the retail date I think.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Someone got their copy of the collectors edition early, and Switch games get released on Fridays normally, so apparently it was uploaded yesterday sometime. He submitted his code and the store went "Oh sure okay."

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Unneccessery slurs aside, this team was being sung as "better than the rest of Sega" not 24 hours ago.

it sucks to have to wait given the disparity of release dates but because they're not forcing a release before time ala 06 you could argue the taxman crew is better as sega, as stupid a comparison that is

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm thinking about refunding it on Steam since I'm gonna be picking it up on switch, and then I realize I'll probably want it on PC as well because achievements.