Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Now with amazon you can get practically anything you want shipped to your door and the only thing that's slightly hard to buy on it is clothing I can't imagine malls will stick around much longer seeing as they're just giant lots taking up space that could be used for something else.

Seriously what does your average mall sell now besides clothing, glasses, and jewelry with an overpriced food court?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's because I'm gay.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Shoes, movie theater and the food court are the only things that draw me in. Maybe a hat occasionally? :shrug:

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
sometimes people like to go outside to do things instead of sitting in their house on the computer all day

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Malls are great for when you want to make one errand last two hours so you can get away from your lovely family and also get an overpriced beer at a Ruby Tuesdays to make heading back home bearable.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ColoradoCleric posted:

Now with amazon you can get practically anything you want shipped to your door and the only thing that's slightly hard to buy on it is clothing I can't imagine malls will stick around much longer seeing as they're just giant lots taking up space that could be used for something else.

Seriously what does your average mall sell now besides clothing, glasses, and jewelry with an overpriced food court?

They're dying and basically exactly what you describe, except sometimes with a symbiotic Dicks Sporting Goods and Sears/JC Penny glommed onto them like a diseased tumor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the mall closest to me doesn't even have a food court any more. there were too many fights so they decided to shut it all down.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Big Beef City posted:

It's because I'm gay.

Keep it up then, if the malls suddenly collapse the economy will suffer.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
I think at this point the only people still going to malls are people making copycat Dan Bell type videos, holding up their phones in front of them while narrating in hushed tones how creepy all the despair looks like

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Malls are great for when you want to make one errand last two hours so you can get away from your lovely family and also get an overpriced beer at a Ruby Tuesdays to make heading back home bearable.

I know when I want go shopping the first thing I want to do is walk around for a half hour.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Malls are still alive because the good people at Simon properties still believe in these iconic pieces of Americana.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the mall closest to me doesn't even have a food court any more. there were too many fights so they decided to shut it all down.

yeah they are turning into good places to get stabbed, which definitely isn't helping my desire to do any shopping at the local deadmall5

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I watched mallrats for the first time in several years a while back and was like, goddamn, I remember malls being a thing

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Depends on the mall you're talking about.

Anchor stores are the main draw and many of those have been dying a slow death. If the satellite stores aren't any good, that mall's done for. Anything else that sets up and survives probably does so because it's part of an already-successful chain. Simon-owned malls seem to be pretty successful.

You also can't forget that some malls are literally tourist attractions. I actually ended up staying in a hotel attached to the Houston Galleria, which blew my kid mind at the time to understand that you could literally walk out of your hotel and into a giant mall. There's a mall about 5 minutes drive north of me that's apparently the 10th largest in the US, clocking in at 2,383,906 square feet. Every time I go it seems like a big chunk of the foot traffic is coming from cruise ship tourists.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Malls have cinnabons

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

yeah they are turning into good places to get stabbed, which definitely isn't helping my desire to do any shopping at the local deadmall5

The mall in Waterbury, CT has signs up about how to not get robbed.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The mall in Waterbury, CT has signs up about how to not get robbed.

Lol

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but if Dillards and Macys goes then why am I not just shopping for clothes at one of those botiques or department store?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I just make sure I drive around for 25 minutes looking for the closest possible parking spot. That way I dont have to walk very far outside so I can maximize my indoor walking time.

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
A guy produces a fascinating series on YouTube called "Dead Mall Series," I highly recommend it. For some reason I can't link to the playlist so here's one to get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lVRgUOV-Xo

One of my favorites is the guy visiting a closing K-Mart a few times over several weeks, showing it in different stages of decay. He even breaks in when it's empty. Eerie stuff.

He also shows a mall that has actually survived and is (somewhat) thriving. They have rented out some of the stores as office space, and old folks use it to power-walk. Some of the stores have been preserved, it's like a living time capsule.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thinkgeek is way better than Spencers.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
when there is nowhere left to shop people will have no reason to leave the house anymore

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

There is a mall near where I live that they converted into a school.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
malls might give big box stores more staying power if they huddle together for warmth and mall rent goes down but the little shops cant survive against amazon and the rent

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i bet it would be pretty cool to live like some kind of scavenger hobo in a dead mall. of course all the malls where I live are living malls. some people get all the luck

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Where else will my gf will find a torrid?

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Dr Cox MD posted:

A guy produces a fascinating series on YouTube called "Dead Mall Series," I highly recommend it. For some reason I can't link to the playlist so here's one to get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lVRgUOV-Xo

One of my favorites is the guy visiting a closing K-Mart a few times over several weeks, showing it in different stages of decay. He even breaks in when it's empty. Eerie stuff.

He also shows a mall that has actually survived and is (somewhat) thriving. They have rented out some of the stores as office space, and old folks use it to power-walk. Some of the stores have been preserved, it's like a living time capsule.

yeah we know

but for those that dont put the dead mall playlist on light one up and turn up the vaporwave dogg

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Cinnamon almonds

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Baby boomers

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ColoradoCleric posted:

imo the future of many of these places is a return to the "personal service" style of shopping that died out when the megastores became popular. I went to a clothing store in the mall a few weeks ago for some work clothes and the dude was super helpful, took my measurements, suggested stuff in the styles I was looking for, etc. Made the whole experience pleasant in a way that shopping online can't really and I'm more inclined to go back versus shopping online.

Same for any stores. When I go to Home Depot or Ace Hardware I expect people there to be knowledgeable and be able to help me out. I went into an Ace Hardware and said "well I'm not sure exactly what I'll need but this is what I'm trying to do" and they suggested various ways to do it and gave their opinion on the best way based on what I was telling them about my personal issue. Can't reaaally do that online without going through forums/whatever first and who knows what Grover might answer you. If the Home Depot dude doesn't know poo poo well then why am I not just ordering online?

If stores get knowledgeable sales people again that aren't minimum wage workers just trying to quick sell you a warranty before they go back to fiddling on their phones they might be okay.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 11, 2017

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

The only time I've been to a mall in the last ten years was to buy drugs in the parking lot

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

COMRADES posted:

imo the future of many of these places is a return to the "personal service" style of shopping that died out when the megastores became popular. I went to a clothing store in the mall a few weeks ago for some work clothes and the dude was super helpful, took my measurements, suggested stuff in the styles I was looking for, etc. Made the whole experience pleasant in a way that shopping online can't really and I'm more inclined to go back versus shopping online.

Same for any stores. When I go to Home Depot or Ace Hardware I expect people there to be knowledgeable and be able to help me out. I went into an Ace Hardware and said "well I'm not sure exactly what I'll need but this is what I'm trying to do" and they suggested various ways to do it and gave their opinion on the best way based on what I was telling them about my personal issue. Can't reaaally do that online without going through forums/whatever first and who knows what Grover might answer you. If the Home Depot dude doesn't know poo poo well then why am I not just ordering online?

If stores get knowledgeable sales people again that aren't minimum wage workers just trying to quick sell you a warranty before they go back to fiddling on their phones they might be okay.

That's what Circuit City used to be like before they fired all their commissioned salespeople and replaced them with retail drones.

They died pretty fast after that, because at that point, why not order online?

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Dr Cox MD posted:

jesus christ we got a genius

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

They're dying and basically exactly what you describe, except sometimes with a symbiotic Dicks Sporting Goods and Sears/JC Penny glommed onto them like a diseased tumor.

It makes sense these companies are dying at the same time then. Ohh well malls were all just a money laundering tax shelter scheme for the mob anyway.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also obligatory: MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING MALLS

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

lol if you think this will ever happen

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
teenagers hanging out in them drinking barq's root beer floats and listening to the latest Duran Duran hits

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr Cox MD posted:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
the mall near me still has an arcade with the same street fighter II cabinet it had when I was a kid and it was new

it's really depressing but also kind of awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6yA7r6WfJo

• Locked thread