Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wait kiel gives something away for free now?

like the last time I was working on an embedded project with a friend we decided to get a quote for dev tools for the hell of it and they replied with like $14k

so we of course said lol gently caress that and used some of the garbage free tooling provided by other vendors at the time, which was for the best because we lost interest after a couple months anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

wholly missing the point about arduinos accessibility to newbies, idk where you’re jamming ‘design’ into this convo tbh

about that...

but anyways he was asking about C so I assumed he wasn't interested in wiring/processing/whatever it's called anymore

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lancemantis posted:

wait kiel gives something away for free now?

like the last time I was working on an embedded project with a friend we decided to get a quote for dev tools for the hell of it and they replied with like $14k

so we of course said lol gently caress that and used some of the garbage free tooling provided by other vendors at the time, which was for the best because we lost interest after a couple months anyway

http://developer.mbed.org

the online ide uses the keil compiler. there is also a light edition of uvision that's free for the smallest m0s

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

aspx to mvc conversion status: after an initial burst of inspiration the offshore team have reverted back to cramming poo poo into hidden form fields as a string then parsing them by reading the request data manually. some of these fields contained multiple objects l separated by pipes to try and pass a collection because just googling "mvc passing a dynamic list" or just copying the implementation I had already put together was too hard or something idk.

time for another two hour "this is what the M in Mvc stands for webex" I think

also raw javascript all over the place in tyool 2017, not even jquery
lol if you still use jquery

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ratbert90 posted:

I would go as far to say that I wouldn't hire a person who claims they are a Linux programmer if they don't own that book.

It's good.

what if they own Stevens, huh?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

because cmake is terrible

actually I haven't used cmake in forever, but isn't it only for compiling c++?

uh, no?

CMake is pretty drat comprehensive and has been for a long time, that's why it's used to build things like LLVM and Swift

of course it does so by generating make or ninja or IDE project files but that's fine

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
All modern arduinos use cortex m anyway so there's not even a discussion to be had unless you buy a bunch off ebay

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

also probably some sort of newlib because you'll need to write your own linker script and assembly-language CRT otherwise

alternatively use a board with a loving Cortex-M on it because come the gently caress on

there are even cheap boards that call themselves Arduino and work via the same IDE and have the same I/O headers but sport a Cortex-M3

eschaton fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 11, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

necrotic posted:

lol if you still use jquery

if you're going to suggest angular or react you can just :getout:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

eschaton posted:

uh, no?

CMake is pretty drat comprehensive and has been for a long time, that's why it's used to build things like LLVM and Swift

of course it does so by generating make or ninja or IDE project files but that's fine

but it generates GOOD makefiles, instead of ones that include "cd subdir; make all; cd.." all over the place, so your dependency graph actually reflects the entire project bieng able to take advantage of parallel jobs.

cmake owns, and it also makes cross-compiling way easier, instead of having to export a million environment variables or running some shell script first.

i used to have to maintain a project that ran on Windows/Embedded Linux Systems/Android/iOS and cmake was the only way it could be done in a sane manner.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

horseboner.js is the Framework of the Week.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Sapozhnik posted:

It has colored pointers so you have to use nonstandard C to program it.

What does this mean?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i need a new project, what's a fun low level / systems programming thing i can implement

maybe ill try to do stuff with cgroups / namespaces

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zemyla posted:

What does this mean?

It has separate address spaces for ROM and RAM so you have to use a nonstandard type qualifier for ROM pointers and you have to have special versions of memcpy etc for accessing ROM instead of RAM.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats the deal with groovy

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

its relaxed java with some good/bad bits and it enjoyed some popularity from the JVM crowd for a time; im not sure how popular it is anymore

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lancemantis posted:

its relaxed java with some good/bad bits and it enjoyed some popularity from the JVM crowd for a time; im not sure how popular it is anymore

i don't hear much about it outside gradle

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's a plang on the jvm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have run into it as an option for doing programmatic interaction inside of a larger tool. the other options are jruby, javascript, and jython i think and groovy seems likely to be the most palatable of those

for some reason plain ol' java is not one of the options :iiam:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

i have run into it as an option for doing programmatic interaction inside of a larger tool. the other options are jruby, javascript, and jython i think and groovy seems likely to be the most palatable of those

honestly i'd choose one of the other options because nobody loving knows groovy, even if it's a better langauge.

i dunno if jython is any good, ruby is pretty well known and jruby is fine (except for being ruby) so that might be an okay choice. javascript is maybe okay if lots of people you work with know JS.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah but nobody really knows jruby/jython either at the end of the day

it sounds like some legacy artifact in the system; like hbase shell is a jruby interface for some reason

well, i guess that reason is that stuff like this was really popular in like the late 2000s/early 10s

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i wrote some configuration stuff for jenkins in groovy once and everyone hated me for it, including / especially me 6 months later when i needed to know wtf it did.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah it also depends on how groovy-ish you get with things; some of the language features are an abusable dumpster fire

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jython is the new scripting language for changing websphere config

it's replacing, of course, something completely custom

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

John Big Booty posted:

horseboner.js is the Framework of the Week.

did you just tell me to go gently caress myself.js

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

honestly i'd choose one of the other options because nobody loving knows groovy, even if it's a better langauge.

i dunno if jython is any good, ruby is pretty well known and jruby is fine (except for being ruby) so that might be an okay choice. javascript is maybe okay if lots of people you work with know JS.

the stuff written in it is unlikely to be longer than a hundred lines, so im not super concerned about other people being familiar with it either

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
doesn't jython implement like python 2.5? or did they eventually update that?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

yeah groovy is the best of those choices cause you can pretty much write regular java in it but a better choice is not doing it at all.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

the stuff written in it is unlikely to be longer than a hundred lines, so im not super concerned about other people being familiar with it either

that's what i said about my 100 line groovy stuff and i was completed baffled by it when i came back to it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
in high school we used PIC16s and programmed them in some sort of basic-like language. we kept wiring the breadboards up wrong and destroying them

thinking back, it's amazing how stupid and incurious i was back then. i had no idea how any of that poo poo worked or any idea of its limitations. i just wrote some code that I barely understood and couldn't ever get anything working since i had no idea about debugging

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tbf reactjs has been the flavor of the month for like 18 months now, which is an eternity in the js world

also it's honestly not that bad, insofar as any javascript poo poo can be considered not bad.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

groovy is goddamn awful

ask anyone who has written a jenkinsfile

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

quote:

Groovy's syntax permits omitting parentheses and dots in some situations. The following groovy code

code:
take(coffee).with(sugar, milk).and(liquor)
can be written as

code:
take coffee with sugar, milk and liquor
enabling the development of domain-specific languages (DSLs) that look like plain English.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

did you just tell me to go gently caress myself.js
No, but with mrhands.js you can gently caress yourself in a completely non-blocking way.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

this is a perfect example of a groovy feature that should basically never be used

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

well i got an android app plopped in my lap today

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Plain js can replace jQuery unless you are required to support like ie9 and lower.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i need a new project, what's a fun low level / systems programming thing i can implement

maybe ill try to do stuff with cgroups / namespaces

Write a compiler compilers are fun

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

John Big Booty posted:

No, but with mrhands.js you can gently caress yourself in a completely non-blocking way.

doesn't work for me, im just getting some kind of overflow on the socket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

lancemantis posted:

doesn't jython implement like python 2.5? or did they eventually update that?

they released 2.7 a while back, such a welcome improvement over 2.5. it's not that bad at all now, and allows you to use the world's best dynamically typed language in combination with the world's best statically typed language

• Locked thread