Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Zmej posted:

Thinking more about Norma and Ed, I think that's kinda what's been a deal breaker for S3 for me. I've definitely grown to enjoy and appreciate the Dougie/Mr. C stuff, and other new parts of the show, and letting go a little bit of "our" Cooper.

But, and this is a big BUT, the biggest hooks for me with S1/S2 of Twin Peaks watching all the town's relationships. For me, S3 is a paucity of this. I am glued to my screen when Bobby shows up talking about his Dad, or with Shelly, or watching Big Ed contemplate being alone, or Ben Horne dealing with his brother or family or Ashley Judd, or Cole worrying for Albert. That warmth or depth or complication of relations was really enthralling.

I think Lynch is more interested in some cosmic story/human/universal nature due his love for TM and exploring human violence. I know that part of the show was always there, but doesn't seem to leave much room anymore for much else besides his subversion of TV/entertainment expectations. I'm not saying the show is bad, but it just doesn't resonate with me sadly. Once you layer in the other issues of pacing, chronology, editing, writing and portrayal of women, the show starts coming apart at the seams for me.

What don't you like about the Norma/Ed relationship? He was watching her during that entire business meeting from the background and I was paying more attention to him than the business guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I'm so confused about that post. A lot of it sounds like it's being super positive about the new series, talking nicely about so many of the character scenes, but then it comes to the conclusion that it's bad?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
norma is 70!? get the gently caress outta here.

also, the red mist poo poo and dodgy gun fire effects are all part of that lynch DV cheapo magic that just adds the charm.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Someone asked earlier if it was true that Lynch kept adding onto the "finished" script while Frost wrote the book, and apparently it's true. Sabrina Sutherland answered a bunch of questions at the Twin Peaks Fest, here's a rundown from reddit:

quote:

David and Mark obviously co-wrote the series... to a point. Around the time they handed things over to Showtime, things changed a bit. Mark went off to write The Secret History of Twin Peaks and David directed the whole thing, but the interesting thing to note here is that, as you all may recall, the series Showtime announced was going to be 8 or 9 episodes. There was that whole drama where David announced he quit, Showtime caved, and now we have 18 episodes. This was NOT a case of the existing material simply being stretched out. According to Sabrina, David actually continued to write. So this seems to have shifted the level of writing involvement more heavily to Lynch than Frost. EDIT: For clarity, it's not that David wrote nine more episodes. It's more like he wrote more scenes interspersed throughout the existing material.

During this conversation and the Q&A panel, Sabrina heavily emphasized that until we see the entire, full, complete 18 hours, we cannot fully appreciate what we are seeing. While most of us here already agree on this point, I felt the need to reiterate it. There are still lots of people claiming Lynch/Frost are pulling our collective leg, that some things are meaningless, etc. While these assertions certainly could be true, Sabrina seems to be implying that they're not. See the whole thing, then judge.

Sabrina is/was basically David's right hand person during this whole thing and still holds a lot of power over things.

Lots more details from the cast interviews and such here: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6s5f7g/s3e18_twin_peaks_fest_rundown_details_about_the/

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Man I'm so confused about that post. A lot of it sounds like it's being super positive about the new series, talking nicely about so many of the character scenes, but then it comes to the conclusion that it's bad?
I'm pretty confused and ambiguous about this series and my feelings too. I suppose that's a legitimate response? It's not bad, it's just underwhelming I guess? I'm just spinning my wheels because I can't sit on my hands till the next episode.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Data Graham posted:

That takes.. . like .... a lot of effort to miss

I was concentrating on what Sarah was doing and wondering why she wasn't answering that buzzing, which sounds like some doorbells. The TV barely registered.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Y'all are shocked about Peggy being 70 but I'm more shocked that Naomi Watts is nearly 50. She looks drat good for that age. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed she was in her mid-30s. Dougie-Coop is a lucky guy.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
So I'm watching the series for the first time right now, and I'm still in season 2, so I won't be sticking around because of spoilers and such. I just wanted to say that this is my favorite line in the entire series, and I crack up every time I think of the delivery. The world doesn't deserve Jack Nance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwywzgXu5_Q

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

...! posted:

Y'all are shocked about Peggy being 70 but I'm more shocked that Naomi Watts is nearly 50. She looks drat good for that age. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed she was in her mid-30s. Dougie-Coop is a lucky guy.

I think the scene in the Doctor's office shows that Watts is the lucky one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

People that were already good looking tend to still look good even when older. Especially if they're wealthy enough to maintain themselves.:v:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Donna's mom is Zooey Deschanel's real life mom. Apparently she and Rashida Jones used to hang out on the set when they were kids.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Rashida Jones and Bob Odenkirk were my top two casting picks for the new series

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

...! posted:

Are you a Young Person? I would never have guessed 35 for her. She looks great, but I still would have said 45ish.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Mädchen Amick looks even better imo, and she is almost 50 too

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rewatched the last episode and I don't even see a reflection at the end on my TV.

Nevermind that though, check out how happy Candie is at the start. Everything worked out and she gets to do something nice for Bushnell and she's so overjoyed she's almost crying. Candie owns and Amy Shiels owns.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

JazzFlight posted:

I always remember her burn on her husband (who played Dr. Hayward in Twin Peaks) during the dinner party with the Costanzas:

That season had a crazy number of twin peaks actors in it. sarah, doc, jacques, mrs. tremont off the top of my head.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I really hope Candie's story goes somewhere. Her acting has been great and I'd rather there be something supernatural going than her just being dim.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

zelah posted:

Are you a Young Person? I would never have guessed 35 for her. She looks great, but I still would have said 45ish.

I'm 40 and she looks younger than most women my age.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

And yeah, Amy Shiels has been amazing. They really nailed Candie's casting. She's got a great sense of humor, too; I loved her selfie with James that she captioned "James and Candie have always been cool" and her photoshop where Candie is swatting the frogbug from episode 8.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

...! posted:

I'm 40 and she looks younger than most women my age.

It's totally fair to think Naomi Watts looks younger than her age, but to their credit, most 40 year old women you see on the street or hang out with at a bar also don't have professional make-up artists, hairstylists, designers, personal trainers, and image consultants working to make them look as young and beautiful as possible.

A lot of people in Hollywood's job is to make sure that actors are attractive and age gracefully.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Amy Shiels' instagram is a delight and you're really missing out if you don't follow it.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

eSporks posted:

I really hope Candie's story goes somewhere. Her acting has been great and I'd rather there be something supernatural going than her just being dim.

http://inland-empire.wikia.com/wiki/Valley_Girls

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Low Desert Punk posted:

So I'm watching the series for the first time right now, and I'm still in season 2, so I won't be sticking around because of spoilers and such. I just wanted to say that this is my favorite line in the entire series, and I crack up every time I think of the delivery. The world doesn't deserve Jack Nance.

Nance is so god drat good, number one thing I miss about season 3 tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chinook posted:

Donna's mom is Zooey Deschanel's real life mom. Apparently she and Rashida Jones used to hang out on the set when they were kids.

Deschanel's father also directed a handful of episodes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this was linked on that youtube video above and it's great. 'get a life, punk!' lmao <3 albert

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zmej posted:

I'm pretty confused and ambiguous about this series and my feelings too. I suppose that's a legitimate response? It's not bad, it's just underwhelming I guess? I'm just spinning my wheels because I can't sit on my hands till the next episode.

Same here. It's entertaining, but I doubt I'm ever gonna watch it again. And I've watched the whole second season a few times. The characterization in this is just horrible. It's like the Star Wars prequels of FWWM.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oh drat I didn't know this wiki existed but I could probably spend hours on this poo poo. I don't know if trying to make that whole movie make sense is somewhat of a fool's errand, but I'm very interested with what I've read so far.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

eSporks posted:

This might be a stretch, but Hawk's map had 3 birds (above Glastonbury Grove, I think), and Candie and two other showgirls wear feathers in their hair.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Same here. It's entertaining, but I doubt I'm ever gonna watch it again. And I've watched the whole second season a few times. The characterization in this is just horrible. It's like the Star Wars prequels of FWWM.
Thanks. It's nice to feel not alone on this show. It's very polarizing and I'm wavering somewhere in the middle right now. This may easily change as we reach the finale. Hopefully for the better.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Cromulent posted:

This might be a stretch, but Hawk's map had 3 birds (above Glastonbury Grove, I think), and Candie and two other showgirls wear feathers in their hair.

She also made the same motion with her hand that the shadow of the "bird" made on the curtains in the original red room dream scene.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Zmej posted:

I tried rewatching episodes 1 through 4 last night to give them another chance. I had to fast forward through half the episodes and still found them kinda frustrating. It definitely feels like everything that happened in those first 4 could have been condensed into two.

This show isn't really about things happening. Or maybe it would be better to say that's not its primary focus.

quote:

Also, I still cannot figure out what is happening editing/effects-wise when Danzig shoots Hasting's wife. Is there a weird cut and shot-merge? Or is there missing frames? Or is the blood spray just really loving weird? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Looked to me like another shot of her fall superimposed over the main one.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The supernatural thing going on with Candie is that she's supernaturally awesome. Duh.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Low Desert Punk posted:

The world hasn't had Jack Nance in it for 2 decades :sigh:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Is this Candie's actress?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, dude

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I've got it on good authority that Candie is actually Killer BOB. Just look at that flowing mane:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
candy is like, absurdly hot.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Baloogan posted:

candy is like, absurdly hot.

:ssh: That's not Candie's actress. It's the model from that other post.

Not that Amy Shiels isn't also stunningly beautiful, of course:

And More fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 12, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Just watched episode 12, I'm not a huge fan of most of this season so far (except Hawk, who is still cool), but this episode especially was some unwatchable, protracted bullshit. I hate it when the people I watch a show with start looking at their phones but that's what happened here. It was just super boring with all the mentions of unseen or unmemorable characters and poo poo dragging out ridiculously. I didn't like it. Is the next one better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Shibawanko posted:

Just watched episode 12, I'm not a huge fan of most of this season so far (except Hawk, who is still cool), but this episode especially was some unwatchable, protracted bullshit. I hate it when the people I watch a show with start looking at their phones but that's what happened here. It was just super boring with all the mentions of unseen or unmemorable characters and poo poo dragging out ridiculously. I didn't like it. Is the next one better?
The next one puts that Audrey scene in better context and adds an interesting twist. I enjoyed it a lot more after seeing ep 13.
13 has a shitload of good scenes anyway. 12 was kind of a fluke.