Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the joose thread was incredible.

best tcc tale was the idiot goon who took is muscle relaxants THEN drove home so he passed out in his driveway and roasted to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

reignofevil posted:

Weirdly the group I left the plinkett GB review with the most sympathy for were the actors (I am told somehow this is a gender neutral term lol)

It all stems from that moment where they were like "Do you think we'll finally get the firehouse" and then they kinda all looked to the camera after they begged for an action-cut to it and at that moment I felt like they really wanted this film to be more... .ghostbustery but unfortunately the only actual decisions they were being allowed to make were how many references to won-tons they could fit in.

Also I choose to beleve that the director had no control over the inclusion of pringles in his movie because that is way funnier and implies the actors coulda just slowly snuck the props and setpieces from the original ghostbusters onto the set day by day and totally got away with it.

yeah, honestly it is sad. it could have been a good movie. maybe not as good as the original but it would have been ok. the issue is feig is a gently caress tard who thinks all humor should be improv and just goes with the "best" bits because he is an idiot who here stories where improv makes scenes better except in most of those cases, they weren't loving comedies. mike made a good point, it just feels like a loving adam sandler movies with a bigger budget(well the big budget used for props instead of laundering) sony is probaly one of the worst movie studios out there.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Groovelord Neato posted:

best tcc tale was the idiot goon who took is muscle relaxants THEN drove home so he passed out in his driveway and roasted to death.

Sorry, it was piano man

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hard counter posted:

there's more than one way to make a successful film and maybe there was too much focus on gb16 making different decisions from gb84 than there was on gb16 making bad decisions, like the whole gimmick of there only being tightly written sci fi/comedy with no room for improv is a separate thing to say from fegi just being a con artist who whiffed hard on a film or the film having horrible technical issues in editing, and the kind of commentary that gb84 only happened thanks to a perfect storm didn't need to be included because you can dissect that travesty without saying unnecessary poo poo

if that's a misterbibs' tier comment then i gotta say maybe he's maligned for no reason but i really don't want to loving say that

Your whole argument here is that a film that
- Made shitloads of money
- Critically successful
- Is one of the most popular and beloved movies ever
- Makes shitzillions of dollars in merch and rereleases annually 30 years later

... isn't "lightning in a bottle". A term that means that there's no formula to recreate these circumstances.

Your argument is literally "any movie could be the runaway success that Ghostbusters was, but they just choose not to be because reasons".

Because if it can't be replicated at will... that's literally the definition of lightning in a bottle.

So yes, that's MisterBibs levels of being retarded.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

ah gently caress i forgot about that guy. cooked like a buttered up kramer.

showing extremely poor foresight, the wife made a 'sorry to inform u' gbs thread about it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

showing extremely poor foresight, the wife made a 'sorry to inform u' gbs thread about it

oh no

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Groovelord Neato posted:

He was out of his mind and pointing a gun at his wife shortly before that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Goons (TCC especially) have so many documented insanely stupid adventures I honestly wouldn't be surprised if half of the abandoned accounts on this site were owned by goons who died in ridiculous self-inflicted ways but their families never made a dead guy post.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FrensaGeran posted:

So since they are ghosts, and since most of the "ghosts" in Ghostbusters are some type of creature, does that mean they're the ghosts of dead aliens, or ghosts of dead demons?

Those ghosts are body thetans. The Ghostbusters movies have always been about Scientology.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The new Annabelle movie is apparently decent and I am unprepared for this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bring back old gbs posted:

ah gently caress i forgot about that guy. cooked like a buttered up kramer.

She also made a thread asking how to scam his life insurance into paying out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I refuse to watch the Conjuring/Annabelle movies because they had to Hollywoodize the original story that Annabelle was based on. The doll was just a Raggedy Ann doll, and I think it would've been so much more entertaining to watch a bunch of dumb movies about a living Raggedy Ann doll than Generic Creepyface Horror Doll.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Can we just post about tcc until the next marvel movie comes out to disappoint us?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Zmej posted:

Can we just post about tcc until the next marvel movie comes out to disappoint us?

You're making the assumption that any of us are actually excited for yet another marvel movie

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the joose threads lead to at least one death when i guy took a bunch of the poo poo and went to go buy some heroin in the bad part of down and ended up dead in a park. most of it was people explaining how dumb it was to eyeball the doses and then don't ever redose because it lasts like two days or something ridiculous and then people saying they were taking some and coming back two days later and posting incoherent gibberish and then a week later coming back to explain how they ruined their lives.

the guy in the keto thread that got probated was actually right after the guy explained that his blood pressure was so bad it was going to make his eyeballs blow up and the guy said to another poster something along the lines of "you can build a diet around lean protein as long as you don't go too far. i hope you are eating clean instead of all this bacon and cheese poo poo."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I love our dead gay forums

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

reignofevil posted:

Weirdly the group I left the plinkett GB review with the most sympathy for were the actors (I am told somehow this is a gender neutral term lol)

It all stems from that moment where they were like "Do you think we'll finally get the firehouse" and then they kinda all looked to the camera after they begged for an action-cut to it and at that moment I felt like they really wanted this film to be more... .ghostbustery but unfortunately the only actual decisions they were being allowed to make were how many references to won-tons they could fit in.

That is one of the many things not in the theatrical version of the movie but only in the extended cut that Mike used for the review. The theatrical version does have a cut like that. They just have the mayor's assistant saying "I'll give you *anything* to keep this quiet!" and Kristen Wiig says "Anything?" and it cuts to the firehouse.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see the point of comedy movies, none of them will ever be better than Young Frankenstein.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dmitri-9 posted:

He was out of his mind and pointing a gun at his wife shortly before that.

then his wife asked goons if she should take the random poo poo he had stashed around the house.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the joose threads lead to at least one death when i guy took a bunch of the poo poo and went to go buy some heroin in the bad part of down and ended up dead in a park. most of it was people explaining how dumb it was to eyeball the doses and then don't ever redose because it lasts like two days or something ridiculous and then people saying they were taking some and coming back two days later and posting incoherent gibberish and then a week later coming back to explain how they ruined their lives.

the guy in the keto thread that got probated was actually right after the guy explained that his blood pressure was so bad it was going to make his eyeballs blow up and the guy said to another poster something along the lines of "you can build a diet around lean protein as long as you don't go too far. i hope you are eating clean instead of all this bacon and cheese poo poo."

i think it was joose some goon wanted to smuggle into saudi arabia (he worked in the oil industry). pretty sure that the penalty he was chancing is execution.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Which Sony executive's dick do I gotta suck to make them greenlight Something Awful: The Movie?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

Which Sony executive's dick do I gotta suck to make them greenlight Something Awful: The Movie?

Start shopping around an indie based on Doobie's Doghouse.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Mordja posted:

ex moderator is called in for one last job

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gammatron 64 posted:

You ever see that Kevin Smith video when he was going to make a superman movie? I mean, you may or may not like Kevin Smith and there's plenty of reasons not to, but the crazy executive he was talking about was Tom Rothman. The same guy responsible for Catwoman, X3 and a bunch of other bombs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2KB1dEDdk

What's the deal other than him turning into the bulk?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mordja posted:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Start shopping around an indie based on Doobie's Doghouse.

Make it a loosely tied together anthology film like Trick or Treat.

Do Doobie's, the killer zipline, the Hawaiian slave camp, Groverhaus, and the TCC eyeballing dead guy. And micro-vignettes for Mr. Water, Microwave's mom, and the W&W statins kid.

e: and the firing range killer and the LF guy getting the secret service to show up at Lowtax's house so he can have a cameo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SMG should have a film analysis vlog.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

So yes, that's MisterBibs levels of being retarded.

the argument is that there are plenty of films that have achieved similar success in comedy in a number of different ways and in a number of different styles, for mike to unnecessarily include arguments like improv is doomed to fail for sci fi comedy. on top of his more valid technical criticisms, was itself misterbibs levels of retardation which can't be supported by anything else in the plinkett review, he's actively stepping on his own foot like a HACK FRAUD when he includes poo poo like 'it works for apatow because his movies are just about real regular schmoes with goals and relationships and you can improv that' and then later says btw gb84 was actually just about real regular schmoes with goals and relationships - there was actually very little science in it because they're just scrubby exterminators! later on trying to tell me that a well-edited scene where three dudes almost shoot a maid and they all just say 'sorry' was comedic perfection, like lightning in a bottle, is also unnecessary and it tries too hard to elevate the source material the way posters who are HACK FRAUDS on sa do

i like rlm's technical criticisms when they show how editing can make or break a cut or when they call out con artists like feig but these extra arguments on top are pretty much just cine d levels of weird and poorly argued - it's better to just cut that poo poo out

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Do Doobie's, the killer zipline, the Hawaiian slave camp, Groverhaus, and the TCC eyeballing dead guy. And micro-vignettes for Mr. Water, Microwave's mom, and the W&W statins kid.

e: and the firing range killer and the LF guy getting the secret service to show up at Lowtax's house so he can have a cameo

how can you forget vilerat and slenderman, the only something awful things from the last 10 years to have lasting mainstream impact

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Add in Zyborne Clock as a psuedo-documentary segment.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Stealing From Your Business Partners for Fun and Profit: the marble hornets story

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

I'm watching The Founder right now and it's hard to not see it as a 2 hour mcdonald's commercial, I'm probably going to get a mcdouble after this.

I thought that at the start of the movie too, and then by the end Ray Kroc is loaded every minute he's on the screen and loving other people's wives and stealing businesses from super-nice yokels, and it's like, "Goddamn, this guy ruled."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I kinda hated statins goon for making low carb seem really dumb and goony for a long time, there's a healthy way to do it and I lost 60 pounds thanks to low carb without eating pure bacon grease or anything disgusting like that.

It's funny, because if you go into YLLS, they'll still tell you to avoid carbs as much as possible, they just won't call it low carb.

E: VVV I recently caught a sixer, as well, solidarity in cat jail buddy. :hfive:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
that probation was dumb as hell yo

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
H

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

I wish he'd spent more time talking about *why* it was lightning in a bottle - how the actors had worked together repeatedly, had an amazing chemistry, and all the other things together that made the cast, the script, the timing etc. unique.

Instead, he just asserted it. It wasn't as well supported as the way he's done with movies in the past.

It's not bad, but it's like 70% of the level of devastation he reached in Star Wars and Star Trek with the back-to-back stuff.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

I kinda hated statins goon for making low carb seem really dumb and goony for a long time, there's a healthy way to do it and I lost 60 pounds thanks to low carb without eating pure bacon grease or anything disgusting like that.

It's funny, because if you go into YLLS, they'll still tell you to avoid carbs as much as possible, they just won't call it low carb.

It's pretty funny that an entire subforum confused "eat clean, lots of greens and protein, avoid sugar and flour" with "eat cheese until you age your body 35 years in 3 months".

Incredible, really.

Especially when, as usual, FYAD was the voice of reason predicting that loving moron mod was going to get someone killed.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I would love a SA failure megathread since I only know about groverhaus

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I can't wait for Mike to re-boot the plinkett cinematic universe with a soft-sequel to his Ghostbusters 2016 review. It will have a lot of the same story elements as the first mr plinkett's Ghostbusters 2016 review but it will also have some of the same actors making cameros so it will technically still be in the original Mr Plinkett Timeline (TM)(Copyright 2018)(Reserved)(PatentPending)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I can't wait for plinkett to rebooted as a woman and for his reviews to be all ad libs

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I did not think so. It was dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I can't wait for plinkett to rebooted as a woman and for his reviews to be all ad libs

botw is almost halfway there depending on if jay's in front of the camera or not

• Locked thread