Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

World Famous W posted:

I'm going to complain about games that don't have subtitles on already as default.

games with a cold open that don't let you tweak settings before starting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Action Tortoise posted:

I got to watch the opening of MGS:V about 4 times before I got it to run right. I was glad that doctor ate poo poo.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

Or where you can set up what your character looks like, but then it turns out in-game the lighting and animation makes them look like a mutant. Mass Effect 3 was pretty bad for this, I kept alt-f4ing out of the opening bit because Shep never looked like how I wanted her to.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Or where you can set up what your character looks like, but then it turns out in-game the lighting and animation makes them look like a mutant. Mass Effect 3 was pretty bad for this, I kept alt-f4ing out of the opening bit because Shep never looked like how I wanted her to.

lol if you don't play every game w a customizable MC as a horrible mutant who looks like he was ran out of his childhood home for being gently caress ugly

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Action Tortoise posted:

Games that play a constant irritating sound when your health gets low.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
bullshit blood splatters or red flashing borders are also equally terrible

gently caress off and let me focus on not dying

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Action Tortoise posted:

I like it especially when it comes in on high settings so my computer can stagger through the first part before I can lower everything.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

World Famous W posted:

I'm going to complain about games that don't have subtitles on already as default.

And why can't games just loving agree on where the subtitles option is?

Is it game options? Sound options? Display options?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

KingSlime posted:

bullshit blood splatters or red flashing borders are also equally terrible

gently caress off and let me focus on not dying
Red flashing or blacking out or whatever instead of a health bar.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Every game that doesn't start with subtitles enabled gets an automatic -1 from me

If the game doesn't have subtitles at all, like Halo 1....

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
on that note I love PC gaming but god drat PC gaming loving sucks

Take last night for example, I wanted to get some tasty Dark Souls III action, cool beans I fire up the game and plug in the controll-oh OOPS! Should have plugged in the controller before running the game because I forgot I use a third party app, steam's built in recognition has been very hit or miss for me and doing things out of order fucks up the whole thing

So I close the app, disconnect and reconnect the controller and now it won't respond at all. Fun.

After 15 minutes of messing around with settings, turns out the game controller driver disabled itself. Err, okay whatever, enabled, program is running, DS4 is good to go for some DS3.

I boot up the game, oh god drat it where did my audio go?? Now my PC is confused and reoruting the audio to my recording interface...why?!?

Tweak that setting, test levels and finally, 20 minutes after I sat down to play my loving game, I am in the title screen and ready to go. That's 20 minutes gone from my tiny 1.5 hour window for gaming I allowed myself last night.

Once again, PC gaming is superior to console gaming in most ways, but I sure as poo poo don't blame people who think otherwise.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
For some reason, in order to use a controller to play The Saboteur I have to start the game with the controller OFF, then plug it in after the game boots

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

For me the tweaking and fixing of pc games is half the fun but I can see why some people might find it annoying.

But my biggest annoyance is the choice paralysis that comes with having a huge Steam and GOG library. All these games I bought and I don't feel like playing any of them. :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

wafflemoose posted:

For me the tweaking and fixing of pc games is half the fun but I can see why some people might find it annoying.

But my biggest annoyance is the choice paralysis that comes with having a huge Steam and GOG library. All these games I bought and I don't feel like playing any of them. :negative:

I love having to google three pages deep to find a forum post from years ago where a single guy had my issue and then commented going "nevermind fixed it" and closed the thread.

It's way better than putting a game in the PlayStation and just having it work

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Ghost Recon: Wildlands did that and it was super annoying because the voice quality is kind of bad (as they're supposed to be talking on radios) so it is hard to understand. Also for some reason there's no subtitle option while a game is loaded. Instead you have to quit to the main menu to turn on subtitles.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

muscles like this! posted:

Ghost Recon: Wildlands did that and it was super annoying because the voice quality is kind of bad (as they're supposed to be talking on radios) so it is hard to understand. Also for some reason there's no subtitle option while a game is loaded. Instead you have to quit to the main menu to turn on subtitles.

I am so impressed with Ubisoft with finding a way to insert drones in all of their games.

I'm watching the E3 demo of Assassin's Creed: Sneak Like An Egyptian and I see the guy go, "Be my eyes, Redwing!"

They found a way to have drone gameplay. In Ancient Egypt.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Action Tortoise posted:

I am so impressed with Ubisoft with finding a way to insert drones in all of their games.

I'm watching the E3 demo of Assassin's Creed: Sneak Like An Egyptian and I see the guy go, "Be my eyes, Redwing!"

They found a way to have drone gameplay. In Ancient Egypt.

In Far Cry Primal, the caveman game, you get an owl that can drop bee grenades on people.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It made a kind of sense in Far Cry: Primal because in that one, your connection with the owl and ability to tame any wild animal you come across by staring at it really hard is explicitly spiritual: you get them as the result of a vision quest triggered by your tribe's shaman. Jamming it into the next AC, which has no spiritual elements and in fact rejects religion/spirituality with the ancient aliens and pieces of eden and stuff, is really egregious.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It made a kind of sense in Far Cry: Primal because in that one, your connection with the owl and ability to tame any wild animal you come across by staring at it really hard is explicitly spiritual: you get them as the result of a vision quest triggered by your tribe's shaman. Jamming it into the next AC, which has no spiritual elements and in fact rejects religion/spirituality with the ancient aliens and pieces of eden and stuff, is really egregious.

Ubisoft is incapable of letting a feature go from game to game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Oh it's definitely fun when I'm in the mood, nothing like modding a game or even just cracking an annoying hardware issue that has limited support (ie: dumb dead threads with no answers) and resolving it yourself. It can be pretty rewarding and you get "better" at computers because poo poo does the "funny" for no reason pretty often. Even nice hardware that otherwise runs buttery smooth will get the randomest clashes or quirks.

But when I'm not in the mood, like say after a ten hour shift, it's enough for me to say ah gently caress it and reach for my 3DS/do something entirely different instead

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I mean, AC has had eagle vision as a superpower from the very beginning, so going with a literal version of it isn't that much of a stretch.

Victor Vran currently has a really nasty bug where certain maps will regularly refuse to load and hard-lock the game. Two of the ones suffering from the bug also have some of the hardest timed challenges in the game, where you'll be forced to try again by reloading the map. Welp.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I've been trying to Perfect breed Pokemon in Pokemon Moon because I'd like to fight all the spiffy trainers that the game unfortunately decided to stuff in the battle tree, I am slowly being driven insane by the egg hatching animation.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

KingSlime posted:

lol if you don't play every game w a customizable MC as a horrible mutant who looks like he was ran out of his childhood home for being gently caress ugly

tbh my Commander in Elite: Dangerous is scarred and weird looking since I figured that was why they were a silent weirdo who never left their pokey little spaceship and only communicated through station message boards.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the worst cases of platforming in games that are not platformers? This question came to mind when I slipped off that tree branch in Blighttown, you know the one.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Aug 11, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The first person platforming on giant moving teeth in system shock 2 is pretty bad

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Turok. I don't think I ever got off that level.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KingSlime posted:

Every Mass Effect character I've used has been hideous, partly because I like subverting the normal "Hero/ine is handsome/beautiful" trope, but mostly because I find it much funnier in the romance scenes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the worst cases of platforming in games that are not platformers? This question came to mind when I slipped off that tree branch, you know the one, in Blighttown.

Star Wars: Rogue Leader 2, because if there's one thing an aerial combat game needs it's extensive on-foot segments with precision platforming that the controls and physics really can't handle.

The on-foot gameplay was literally based on the vehicle select screen in the previous game where you walked around in a hangar, and boy does it feel like it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

What are the worst cases of platforming in games that are not platformers? This question came to mind when I slipped off that tree branch in Blighttown, you know the one.

Rise of the Triad (remake)
Jedi Knight II is also pretty bad until you get Force Jump (allowing you to make charged, high jumps)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cry of Fear

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

games with a cold opening that are on backwards compatible but can't save because you aren't online

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

Star Wars: Rogue Leader 2, because if there's one thing an aerial combat game needs it's extensive on-foot segments with precision platforming that the controls and physics really can't handle.

The on-foot gameplay was literally based on the vehicle select screen in the previous game where you walked around in a hangar, and boy does it feel like it.

It's pretty impressive how the follow up to Rogue Squadron II, a game that still holds up to this day, was made unplayably bad because they wanted to add a bullet point to the back of the box.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's pretty impressive how the follow up to Rogue Squadron II, a game that still holds up to this day, was made unplayably bad because they wanted to add a bullet point to the back of the box.

Didn't it also include the entire Rogue Squadron 2 in coop form or am I miss remembering?

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

The Tower of Babel in Xenogears.

Get hit, fall down, random battle. Repeat! :argh:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Hunter Workshop in Bloodborne

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Action Tortoise posted:

Hunter Workshop in Bloodborne

Every single Souls game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Olaf The Stout posted:

In Far Cry Primal, the caveman game, you get an owl that can drop bee grenades on people.

:wom:

ngl that's loving badass.

there need to be more beastmaster games

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

Didn't it also include the entire Rogue Squadron 2 in coop form or am I miss remembering?

It did, but you could only play it co-op

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

World Famous W posted:

Can we at least get game companies to agree where subtitles are located? Sometimes they're in the audio menu, but in other games it's in the gameplay menu, sometimes they just chill in the options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I doubt this would support its own thread, and this is kinda related: has there been a game in a series or franchise that so solidified a fun gaming experience that you can't get into later games?

This thought came up because my brother mentioned Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and it reminded me just how I can't seem to get into later Civ games. I think it was because I played SMAC as a kid, during my brief "I want to be good at video games" phase (I still remember pouring over Velocyrix's SMAC guide), and it ingrained a lot of things I considered fun that later games don't have, or are changed.

Like, whenever I play a new Civ game (did Beyond Earth ever become fun?), all of the non-SMAC things stick out to me and drags the games down. I've got no big-single-resource tiles, no Supply Crawler analogues on them to free up a citizen slot. Can't use them to rush Wonders, either. And what do you mean I can't be lazy and just put forests everywhere, trusting my research will make them 4-5-4s down the line? And you mean I can't just keep putting down base after base without care or worry?

I want to play Civ games, but they all just admit they aren't SMAC and they let me down.