Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Belgian posted:

The New Oxford Annotated Bible is very nice because of the excellent annotation. If you're reading for literary value you should ofc read it in the original Greek / whatever language the book you want to read was originally written in.

nahhhh KJV is better than the original literarily and also is by far the most influential to later English lit anyway so you shoukd read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm basing that on what clever people sauy I don't actually read Hebrew or Aramaic i'm afraid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Everyone knows the bible is best read in emoji

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
🍞=💪
🍷=💉

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Everyone knows the bible is best read in emoji

don't encourage them you fool

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you think about it Egyptians used the first emojis

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
alright, i say we move this conversation onto serious writing and literature. lets talk about mangas

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

derp posted:

alright, i say we move this conversation onto serious writing and literature. lets talk about mangas

I don't know about man-gas, but how about serious writing and literature about womangas.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I started the Bible. English Standard Version. Almost finished with Deuteronomy. It is alternately powerful and tedious, fascinating and boring. I guess everybody knows that about the Bible, though.

Has anybody here read it? Did you read the books in order or did you jump around? Which books stood out to you?

'has anyone here read [the single most important book in human history]?'

The Belgian posted:

The New Oxford Annotated Bible is very nice because of the excellent annotation.

this depends on why you're reading it. to really grasp the historical and cultural conditions that produced its various books? to more firmly distinguish history from accretionary myth in the text? to understand the various religious strands at work? then you need the annotation. if you want to appreciate it as literature, and to better understand its influence on the last 4 centuries of literature, then read the KJV

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 12, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It's more important to read KJV for its literary importance, since any direct allusion uses the KJV language, but if a person is trying to enjoy the stories as stories and break down the themes and ideas on their own, ESV is still good, since the concentration is in presenting the story as it should be told, but with a modern-ish audience as a target. So KJV is preferred, but ESV is still good, arguably better for certain sections like the long tangents of who begat who in Exodus. My ESV copy has really good takes on the poetic areas, but KJV is more important, since that's what's been read for hundreds of years now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

James Joyce Did Nothing Wrong

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

chernobyl kinsman posted:

this depends on why you're reading it. to really grasp the historical and cultural conditions that produced its various books? to more firmly distinguish history from accretionary myth in the text? to understand the various religious strands at work? then you need the annotation. if you want to appreciate it as literature, and to better understand its influence on the last 4 centuries of literature, then read the KJV

There is also things like how Genesis consits of three texts that a later editor cut and pasted together. Which is why god creates man on the sixth day and then creates him again after the seventh day. There's a bunch of structural stuff around how the texts are combined that you're liable to miss without annotation. I'd consider these things to be of literary importance.

Some of the stories also just straight up don't make sense if you're unaware of the cultural background. The first thing that comes to mind is how people believed that what your parents looked at while you were concieved would affect your characteristics. Which you need to know for some story about cows with certain patterns on their hides to make sense.

EDIT: Ofc if you're reading for influence on modern literature, you should read the Luther bible, not the king James.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Belgian posted:

EDIT: Ofc if you're reading for influence on modern literature, you should read the Luther bible, not the king James.

the rollest of rolleyes

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I'll just say it plainly. I was turned off the KJV because in the course of researching translations something that should have been obvious was pointed out to me: Biblical scholarship has made a lot of progress since the seventeenth century. I wanted a translation that was beautiful, faithful to the style of the original, and informed by modern scholarship, and I think I made a good choice with the ESV. As I said before, it is a translation in the tradition of the KJV, so if you compare the two, they're remarkably similar, and I've enjoyed the ESV so far on an aesthetic level. If you're min-maxing for literary beauty, you might go with the KJV, and if you're min-maxing for accuracy you might go with Robert Alter. But I was looking for a compromise between a few virtues, and the ESV provided that.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Vulgate or bust

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The KJB is arguably more important as a historical document than the bible itself

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The KJB is arguably more important as a historical document than the bible itself

Not nearly as important as the vulgate, if we're taking that approach

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The most important thing is that you immediately turn to the title page for the new testament and write "the legend of curly's gold" under the title

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Franchescanado posted:

This Gravity's Rainbow sucks, it's just about bananas and pancakes!

you should be sold on pynchon's entire ouevre just from the banana scene

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

derp posted:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that's an insanely stupid thing to say

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's greater than the original bible because it contains that bible w/in it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
light in august is like the bible but more cleverer. and with More loving.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I'm basing that on what clever people sauy I don't actually read Hebrew or Aramaic i'm afraid.

you should learn coptic like my good friend david tibet

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'll get on it once I'm done learning Habla Congo

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
lol if im reading a book with thous and doests in it

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Burning Rain posted:

lol if im reading a book with thous and doests in it

Not a hemmmmmingway fan i take it

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

derp posted:

Not a hemmmmmingway fan i take it

oh shut up

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Read aquarium derp

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
im too busy reading the first letter of beloved classics then throwing them in the trash cause i dont like the font

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
derp I think we'd all appreciate it if you were to stop posting

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

chernobyl kinsman posted:

derp I think we'd all appreciate it if you were to stop posting

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Quit being a loving child and read some real shitposting

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't remember which fucker said that we shitpost here because you were getting your feelings hurt but it ruined a fantastic chance of getting rid of you.

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013
I think Derp has the right to bad opinions but he can't complain when people bully him about them 'cause he does stuff like give up on Ulysses after two pages.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 25, 2022

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't remember which fucker said that we shitpost here because you were getting your feelings hurt but it ruined a fantastic chance of getting rid of you.

my bad

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anybody got any recommendations for something in the same vein as The Street of Crocodiles, besides Kafka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
derp is alright with me