Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

100% knew that was McArdle by only the 2nd paragraph. I blame chapo for infecting my brain with this knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

hoooooly poo poo PFT is radicalized!? i love him even more now
I wish Patton Oswalt was more radicalized, though I think he's gone further left since Trump got elected and his wife died.

Honestly not surprised that someone who was involved with Mr. Show is pretty left, most of the writers on that show seemed to skew left.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

looooool

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

So there's possibly evidence to indicate that the DNC emails leaked to Wikileaks were actually taken on a flash drive, and not remotely hacked

Did you read this article because it's complete nonsense and their smoking gun is that NOBODY has internet capable of 22 mbps

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I like that it's written like a House of Cards monologue.

quote:

We come now to a moment of great gravity.

quote:

Two, houses built on sand and made of cards are bound to collapse, and there can be no surprise that the one resting atop the “hack theory,” as we can call the prevailing wisdom on the DNC events, appears to be in the process of doing so.

:jerkbag:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I wish Patton Oswalt was more radicalized, though I think he's gone further left since Trump got elected and his wife died.

Honestly not surprised that someone who was involved with Mr. Show is pretty left, most of the writers on that show seemed to skew left.

Nah if anything he's gone more toward the center. He's a big BUT HER EMAILS guy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

oatgan posted:

Did you read this article because it's complete nonsense and their smoking gun is that NOBODY has internet capable of 22 mbps

Bytes.

176Mbps.

I don't know what the DNC's infrastructure looks like or if they have a gigabit upload link, but it's not the most insane and dumb theory. If you make THE WILD AND INSANE assumption that the DNC office might be on a business cable line, it passes the sniff test.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't Oswalt describe Eric Garland's masterpiece Sir, This is a Starbucks as "succinct and propulsive?"

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
he also said he was binge listening to chapo right after November '16 so i'm willing to chalk up his weird earnest desire to latch onto different random viewpoints to his having experienced a really horrible personal loss plus a loving brain-bender of an election within a few months of each other

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

SousaphoneColossus posted:

he also said he was binge listening to chapo right after November '16 so i'm willing to chalk up his weird earnest desire to latch onto different random viewpoints to his having experienced a really horrible personal loss plus a loving brain-bender of an election within a few months of each other

did you hear he actualyl murdered his wife? its true

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

oatgan posted:

I'm skeptical of everything around the DNC business because every single bit of from both sides is covered in a thick layer of smoke, that's why I prefaced it with "possible evidence." I probably should have just asked what people thought of the article, because I was wondering if it's a legit theory or not.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nah if anything he's gone more toward the center. He's a big BUT HER EMAILS guy.

He definitely follows at least some of the Dry Boys and has tweeted about the show before.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He definitely follows at least some of the Dry Boys and has tweeted about the show before.

Which they think is bizarre. I think he's just a general left leaning person desperate for a solution to Trump.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Phone posted:

Bytes.

176Mbps.

I don't know what the DNC's infrastructure looks like or if they have a gigabit upload link, but it's not the most insane and dumb theory. If you make THE WILD AND INSANE assumption that the DNC office might be on a business cable line, it passes the sniff test.

They're also saying that a hacker couldn't possibly download anything at those speeds because nobody in the world can have a 200 megabit downlink.

e: their proof is that they tried to use what I'm assuming is a domestic dsl connection to download data from 20 miles away and only got half that rate. So clearly making it all the way to russia is impossible.

e2: they're saying that it's impossible by linking to speedtest's survey and making the average to be the maximum, despite them listing the maximum in that survey at 2 gigabit for domestic plans.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 11, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dr. Stab posted:

They're also saying that a hacker couldn't possibly download anything at those speeds because nobody in the world can have a 200 megabit downlink.

e: their proof is that they tried to use what I'm assuming is a domestic dsl connection to download data from 20 miles away and only got half that rate. So clearly making it all the way to russia is impossible.

e2: they're saying that it's impossible by linking to speedtest's survey and making the average to be the maximum, despite them listing the maximum in that survey at 2 gigabit for domestic plans.

OK, and a lot of businesses just use their local cable monopoly's poo poo which has at max a 50Mbit uplink.

Their premise hinges on the DNC not having a fiber connection, which is completely possible. It's already been well established that the DNC has terrible opsec, so I don't know why you're so fired up.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Phone posted:

OK, and a lot of businesses just use their local cable monopoly's poo poo which has at max a 50Mbit uplink.

Their premise hinges on the DNC not having a fiber connection, which is completely possible. It's already been well established that the DNC has terrible opsec, so I don't know why you're so fired up.

I'm not especially fired up. It's just that the arguments as presented in the article are funny in how bad they are.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I highly doubt they were just using residential cable, 50mbit is basically useless for a large office of people, they were almost certainly using some kind of business connection

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

the smart guy from the smart administration full of smart wonks
https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/896076076534775809

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

that might be the dumbest thing i've ever read. Why do they always use airlines and cable companies TWO THINGS NOBODY loving LIKES I can't imagine the hellscape I'd be in if BART became a privatized company

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

that can't merge into unaccountable sociopathic behemoths? does...does he know how capitalism works?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Cake Boss go on Chapo

cakeboss

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

cat doter posted:

that can't merge into unaccountable sociopathic behemoths? does...does he know how capitalism works?

He doesn't know how anything works

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

cat doter posted:

I highly doubt they were just using residential cable, 50mbit is basically useless for a large office of people, they were almost certainly using some kind of business connection

The difference between a residential and business cable internet is a guarantee of service and uptime.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

cat doter posted:

I had a friend explain to me that the US funding wars for oil is just another capitalist market while also saying the human toll is more of a problem with monopolies so, I don't think they do

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

that might be the dumbest thing i've ever read. Why do they always use airlines and cable companies TWO THINGS NOBODY loving LIKES I can't imagine the hellscape I'd be in if BART became a privatized company

their worm-rotted brains have them convinced if only existing regulations were enforced the cable and air oligopolies would function to the benefit of the consumer and they never piece together there's a reason that the free market for utilities and other high capital cost industries tends toward a monopolistic structure

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

the smart guy from the smart administration full of smart wonks
https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/896076076534775809

My heart is broken. :sigh:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

why compete when you can collaborate

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

My heart is broken. :sigh:

fix your heart or die

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Phone posted:

The difference between a residential and business cable internet is a guarantee of service and uptime.

well I sure as poo poo feel sorry for any office trying to get business done on 50mbit

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

oatgan posted:

why compete when you can collaborate

because you truly worship the God that is The Free Market and are also a Rational Actor

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
heres some chapo music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVX3cpNKSuM

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Going to see AJJ in a couple weeks, it's gonna rule

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Also RIP Rich Piana

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Going to see AJJ in a couple weeks, it's gonna rule

every time they play a show id go to something happens

twice its been that i ended up moving like three days before the show

once it was at the last BtMI show and i got in an accident on the way and ended up missing it IM STILL REALLY SAD ABOUT THIS

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
:(

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Also RIP Rich Piana

https://generationiron.com/update-rich-piana-stable-condition-despite-rumors/

he still alive

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Sounds like he took too much insulin and KO'd himself lmao

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
Anybody else see Nobody Speak? It's a documentary on Netflix about how trillionaires in the future are going to buy media companies to further their libertarian island future.

It may be a little MOTHER loving NEWS for the chapo crowd, but if you weren't current on the Gawker case and Trump's libel crusade it's pretty good.

E: and finding out that Hulk Hogans dick is 10in but the person who plays him isn't so endowed was a pretty great reminder for how far we're in the zone now

Lurks Morington fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 12, 2017

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

AJJ rules.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

AJJ is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Phone posted:

yes, I am entirely willing to believe the DNC spent way more money than it needed to only to ultimately shoot themselves in the foot

aren't you???