Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
How much to patch it for Windows 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gazza
Oct 20, 2013
Beyond the generally awful writing, wargamer.com is literally owned by Slitherine and doesn't make it clear up front.

PS it's way more fun reversing stereotypes by playing the Germans as mass conscript hordes and the Soviets as uber tactical proletarian supermen

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Speaking of sales, Bundle Stars has their summer sale starting and there looks like some Slitherine stuff including CMANOOOOO

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 12, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
$20 distant world's.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Who is floating this idea, btw? PM me.

It was ZombieLenin, a few pages back.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

gazza posted:

PS it's way more fun reversing stereotypes by playing the Germans as mass conscript hordes and the Soviets as uber tactical proletarian supermen

that's basically how Panzer Corps Soviet Corps ends up playing out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Every month or so I pop over to the NWS Forums to see if there is more news on Rule the Waves 2, every month I am disapointed. :(

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have a feeling that the only thing worse than no news about RTW2, will be actual news about RTW2.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
rome total waves two

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gazza posted:

fash about to get bashed

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Steel Panthers for babies is on sale and is one of my favorite games:

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/battle-academy

It isn't Battle Academy 2, and I don't think it comes with all the DLC, but this game rules.

Lot's of Slitherine poo poo on sale: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/collections/slitherine?page=1

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 13, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Urge to play AGEOD's Civil War II as the Union ... rising
Man I wish they had Birth of America II on sale, for I've had a hunger recently to fight the French & Indian War as the French and Indians. Wanna wage a guerrilla campaign in upstate New York in the 18th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkisx_ifQAw

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 14, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

In the sense penal battalions pulled mine clearing duty rather than literally using bodies to clear mines

Also in the sense that Zhukov states that attacking through a minefield was a good idea because a minefield is where they WON'T have their main defenses.

"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there."

No, you're most certainly not sending waves of men to attack a known entrenched position with an extensive minefield in place, but disorganized attacks by Russians with more "URAAAAAAA" than sense would not make it strange to see them try to press forward through a minefield at least once, which gets repeated enough times to make it seem like it was commonplace.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Davin Valkri posted:

Why am I not surprised. Also, how laugh-worthy is that Peiper driving full speed through a minefield thing?

Were they anti-personnel mines or anti-tank mines?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Were they anti-personnel mines or anti-tank mines?

Not sure, but they were enough to gently caress up a few tanks.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lichtenstein posted:

Not sure, but they were enough to gently caress up a few tanks.

Well, the difference is some broken tracks or dead tanks :shrug:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

Steel Panthers for babies is on sale and is one of my favorite games:

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/battle-academy

It isn't Battle Academy 2, and I don't think it comes with all the DLC, but this game rules.

Lot's of Slitherine poo poo on sale: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/collections/slitherine?page=1

I dunno if this counts as a grognard game per se but I strongly recommend buying Qvadriga while it's only $5. It's like the Blood Bowl version of NASCAR but with heavy historical flavor. Plus you can pretend you're Ben Hur.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I haven't heard much about it but what little I recall was that it wasn't that good.

Qvadriga, that is.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

The bagel I had this morning for $4.70 was "okay" and I'm happy with that, so

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I haven't heard much about it but what little I recall was that it wasn't that good.

Qvadriga, that is.

It's extremely shallow but it's fun despite it. Think of it as a very casual game that is also very brutal on survivability.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What order am I supposed to do these graviteam tutorials in? by column or row?

gazza
Oct 20, 2013
Qvadriga is worth it for the big races where chariots are overturning and riders getting trampled everywhere

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I play/let Qvadriga run at work on a side screen and pretend I'm booking the horses

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Anyone got any advice for a new WITE player? I've had it for a while but am just now giving it a try. I read over some of the tutorials on the Matrix forums, and have mostly got the basics of the interface figured out. Airbases, aircraft, and the air war in general are still confusing as hell to me, and I'm still not always entirely sure how things like construction, entrenchment, unit refitting and replacement, etc. work. I don't really know how factories and industrial production work or which type of factories I should prioritize moving. I've also got no idea how I'm supposed to supply all these partisans forming up in the enemy's rear, although I know that I can.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Air interface briefing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=414743397

I'm going off of memory and don't have the manual right beside me, so these answers won't be exact:

Entrenchment: leaving units sitting in a hex will cause them to entrench, up to at least level 1. Higher levels will require the presence or adjacency of a Fortification unit, and/or the adjacency of enemy units. I think level 2 needs being on or next to a fort unit (so you can build a line of forts at every other hex), and then level 3 needs you to be adjacent to an enemy, and then level 4 and 5 are reserved for special cities like Leningrad and Moscow.

Construction: the more manpower in a hex, the faster entrenchment happens. The Soviets can call up Construction Battations or Railroad Construction Brigades, which adds a bunch of manpower without costing any armaments, so they're a cheap and easy way to boost your entrenchment capability. Germans need to juggle assigning the Construction/Railroad Construction Support Units that they have, but otherwise works on the same concept. Otherwise, putting three divisions on a hex also does it.

Refit and Replacement: when the logistics phase hands out reinforcements, everyone on Refit mode gets it first, then everyone not on refit mode. So you need to use refit mode to prioritize who gets first crack at reinforcements. Units can't be adjacent to enemy units to get reinforcements, and I think they need to be some distance away from the enemy (I want to say 20 hexes at least) for the refit to be at full effectiveness. Supply access is also necessary. Basically if you need to refit a unit, send it back to a city hex and set it to refit mode. Failing that, don't put it on the front lines.

Factory Evacuation: only evacuate factories in multiples of 5. Armaments are the most important, but you also need to get tank factories out if you want a shot at finishing the game in Berlin. Aircraft factories are fairly low priority, but all of this can be overriden by proximity: evacuate the most in-danger stuff first. There's an entire subsystem to how production works, but it's all very automated that you almost never need to think about it.

Supplying partisans: look for the transport aircraft and heavy bomber aircraft squadrons, and set them to night mode. They'll fly night-time supply drops against Partisans when in range.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there any point to evacuating Heavy Industry? Every other factory type has an immediately obvious war-critical use, but Heavy Industry is both extremely large and of unclear function.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I should assume that Combat Mission never goes on sale?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

skooma512 posted:

So I should assume that Combat Mission never goes on sale?

It does, but the % isn't amazing

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Should I buy Mius Front or Tunisia 1943? Keep in mind that I'm a degenerate who actually understands Graviteam games.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Mister Bates posted:

Is there any point to evacuating Heavy Industry? Every other factory type has an immediately obvious war-critical use, but Heavy Industry is both extremely large and of unclear function.

If you have absolutely no other use for left over rail capacity, you move heavy industry.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

sum posted:

Should I buy Mius Front or Tunisia 1943? Keep in mind that I'm a degenerate who actually understands Graviteam games.

In that case, yes. But know that they overhauled the UI in Mius Front and Tunisia.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

Heavy Industry produces supplies, which tend to be abundant enough that, as El Brak said, they're not at all a priority for evacuation.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

In that case, yes. But know that they overhauled the UI in Mius Front and Tunisia.

To clarify: I meant either/or

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

sum posted:

To clarify: I meant either/or

I don't own Tunisia because I'm less interested in the theater and waiting for it to go on sale. That said the videos I've seen of Tunisia look very similiar to Mius Front as far as gameplay/UI. I'd say it really comes down to whichever theater interested you more.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've been looking at some of the Graviteam games and, while the website is terrible, the games themselves look really intriguing. I like the turn-based dynamic campaign system, and I really like some of the scenarios on offer, like the one about the Sino-Soviet border conflict and the one in which you're commanding Cuban and Angolan forces fighting the South Africans in the 1980s. However, I've also got the impression from the few mentions of Graviteam's games I've seen that they may not be very good. My question is: do you think they're worth the asking price? Why or why not? Is there anything that's particularly stand-out good or bad about them I should keep in mind before dropping a big chunk of change on them?

e: also, thanks for the WITE advice, I'm slowly but surely getting this game figured out.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 19, 2017

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

I've been looking at some of the Graviteam games and, while the website is terrible, the games themselves look really intriguing. I like the turn-based dynamic campaign system, and I really like some of the scenarios on offer, like the one about the Sino-Soviet border conflict and the one in which you're commanding Cuban and Angolan forces fighting the South Africans in the 1980s. However, I've also got the impression from the few mentions of Graviteam's games I've seen that they may not be very good. My question is: do you think they're worth the asking price? Why or why not? Is there anything that's particularly stand-out good or bad about them I should keep in mind before dropping a big chunk of change on them?

e: also, thanks for the WITE advice, I'm slowly but surely getting this game figured out.

The game mechanics are perfectly solid but the orders system is loving wonky (I still don't know what all the different combinations do and I have a few dozen hours in the game). The campaigns are stressful in a fun way but can take an excessive amount of time; the average operation is like 10 turns long and might have three 30ish-minute battles a turn. They're games that either you like or you don't.

If you're afraid you're not going to like the games, keep in mind that Operation Star and its DLCs goes on sale for ~80% off pretty regularly if you're willing to wait a month or two. I'd recommend getting Operation Hooper if you're only getting one DLC, although Shield of the Prophet is cool too. Zhalanashkol is a neat idea but the Chinese campaign is comically unbalanced so don't get it at full price.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah the China side is bonkers hard. Russia gets T62 tank platoons. China only gets infantry with the occasional RPG-2.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah the China side is bonkers hard. Russia gets T62 tank platoons. China only gets infantry with the occasional RPG-2.

Why does this DLC even exist lmao.

This one in particular is baffling.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dandywalken posted:

Why does this DLC even exist lmao.

This one in particular is baffling.

I think asymmetrical wars are fascinating. Love when these scenarios are put forward. IIRC if you play China in that scenario your goal is to attrition the Russians to death rather than outright win battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think asymmetrical wars are fascinating. Love when these scenarios are put forward. IIRC if you play China in that scenario your goal is to attrition the Russians to death rather than outright win battles.

Like I get asymmetrical, and if the Chinese could use concealment to get close or something and plink those tanks to death okay.

But the campaign also takes place entirely on open terrain with no buildings or trees or grass or anything so it's basically "Watch Chinese Infantry Get HE Shell'd to death Simulator 2017". It's just goofy.

Hooper and Shield of the Prophet are the good modern ones because at least both sides get reasonably effective combined arms.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 20, 2017